Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
How is How Did This Get Made more popular than CBB, or anything for that matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Gargamel Gibson posted:

How is How Did This Get Made more popular than CBB, or anything for that matter?
being flabbergasted by bad movies is way more relatable around the watercooler in the office than alt-comedy bits you have to listen intently at for an hour to understand all the callbacks.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

the tv ep described is andy richer, the segment producer is aidy bryant (I think thats her name)

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

A bunch of people sit around saying "No guys this is seriously CRAZY" and you're at home, or maybe in your car commuting listening and you're like fuckkk, the only thing crazier than this movie is how much i can relate to june, paul and zooks right now.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Zsinjeh posted:

being flabbergasted by bad movies is way more relatable around the watercooler in the office than alt-comedy bits you have to listen intently at for an hour to understand all the callbacks.
I know there's this and the fact that people have nostalgia for most of the movies...but man. Given Paul Scheer's voice, the super abrasive ad edits, the frequent lack of June, the self-indulgent yelling of Jason, the hit-and-miss episode focus and the weird minisodes - I am shocked it is even top 5 on Earwolf.

edit: I do like HDTGM, but it feels about as mismanaged as a podcast can be.

edit edit: also my favourite episodes of Jon Gabrus's High and Mighty are where he just apes HDTGM and he actually did Bloodsport recently so now they're ripping off the ripper offer which is weird.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx

Gargamel Gibson posted:

It probably comes down to the fact that Paul Scheer has more mainstream fame than any other Earwolf host.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I used to listen to it just for Zouks, and the occasional insane June-ism, but it just wore me down over time. There's just nothing of substance there outside of the Crocodile Dundee episode and the Punisher: War Zone episode. I Was There, Too + Zouks on CBB is a far better replacement to me.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
It's a good show. Ha ha ha ha! Nothing better than a room full of holly wood handbook fans owned by reality. drat.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

i really enjoy listening to HDTGM while doing housework or going for a walk or whatever. its light, silly, and normally at least one moment in each episode makes me laugh pretty hard.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Jason Mantzoukas and Paul Scheer are household names among groups of people far removed from UCB nerds thanks to The League.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Work Friend Keven posted:

It's a good show. Ha ha ha ha! Nothing better than a room full of holly wood handbook fans owned by reality. drat.

What?

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Oh? Would you like me to "speak on that?"

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I wish I could stop getting owned so much about podcasts.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Drunkboxer posted:

I wish I could stop getting owned so much about podcasts.

This, its getting insane

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Work Friend Keven posted:

Oh? Would you like me to "speak on that?"

Speak on that.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't think they say speak on that anymore

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Too scary.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Taz out on that.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Is Zouks a household name?

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I don't think he's famous but he works a lot more and a lot higher profile than a lot of those guys. He was on the league forever, was on that HBO show, was in the dictator, is currently finishing up an arc on Brooklyn 99 etc. he's actually in a shitload of stuff.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Besson posted:

Is Zouks a household name?

By household I mean frathouses and by name I mean Raffi.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Yeah its not surprising that people relate more to how did this get made than the trials and tribulations of two hollywood power brokers now that i think about it

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Hollywood handbook is the Fyad of podcasts

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
HH has become so popular in this thread that we're now experiencing the classic SA popularity backlash??

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

power botton posted:

Yeah its not surprising that people relate more to how did this get made than the trials and tribulations of two hollywood power brokers now that i think about it

Uh-huh... Uh-huh...

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Borrowed Ladder posted:

HH has become so popular in this thread that we're now experiencing the classic SA popularity backlash??

I found them unfunny since they were doing their other crappy show, but maybe I'm just being a comedy hipster. I disliked them before it was cool to dislike them.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

ElCondemn posted:

their other crappy show

die badly

E; don't actually die but I still hate you

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

erm comedy hipsters love hayes and sean

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

ElCondemn posted:

I found them unfunny since they were doing their other crappy show, but maybe I'm just being a comedy hipster. I disliked them before it was cool to dislike them.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Uh-huh... Uh-huh...

aah-kai...

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
I have a feeling Howl isn't doing so good. They still haven't put up a paywall and now they're releasing an episode from Howl on the CBB stream.

Either that or something big is happening with Howl soon, but I doubt it.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Flaskraven posted:

I have a feeling Howl isn't doing so good.
Ya think?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Flaskraven posted:

I have a feeling Howl isn't doing so good. They still haven't put up a paywall and now they're releasing an episode from Howl on the CBB stream.

I wonder if backlash contributed to them to dropping the paywall or if they just couldn't figure out how to make it work.

Putting a Howl show on the CBB stream doesn't look like a sign of flailing to me, Earwolf has been doing that a lot lately for non-Howl content recently (They put episodes of Bitch Sesh in HDTGM's feed and Chris Gethard's new show in I4H's.) This Uncle Bertie's Blahblahblah is a high profile exclusive from a big, recognizable name that they've been hyping since Howl launched, so putting an episode in CBB's feed is an easy, passive way to leverage that existing listener base and say "Hey, this is out now, check it out."

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I enjoyed the first episode of The Mysterious Secrets Of Uncle Bertie's Botanarium. Anybody here subscribe to Howl? Is it worth it? I haven't really checked it out so I don't know how it works.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

ElCondemn posted:

but maybe I'm just being a comedy hipster
Lol ya that's exactly what's happening here, you're too hip

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Flaskraven posted:

Either that or something big is happening with Howl soon, but I doubt it.

Howl was extremely half baked when they launched. And unless they flat out pay walled comedy bang bang and Hollywood handbook I would never pay for it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I enjoyed the first episode of The Mysterious Secrets Of Uncle Bertie's Botanarium. Anybody here subscribe to Howl? Is it worth it? I haven't really checked it out so I don't know how it works.

I signed up for a couple months. The content is cool, like all the live CBB episodes, comedy albums, etc. but it's pretty easy to breeze through it. I was caught up with the stuff I was interested in by the first month and only held onto it for another couple in the hopes that they'd add more. They didn't really.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
It probably didn't help that at the start you could just download anything on Howl without an account by going into the page sources. It might even still be like that.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Trujillo posted:

It probably didn't help that at the start you could just download anything on Howl without an account by going into the page sources. It might even still be like that.

it is, i just checked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

im subscribed to howl and i like it

technically, it works better than it used to but its still not great