Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Inzombiac posted:

Looks neat, good job!

I need to get my hands on two desert eagle replicas. Problem is that they run $25 a piece and $50 for props of guns I do t even like is really dumb.

How would I go about sculpting and painting my own, say, out of pink foam?

Have you considered trying to find someone to 3d print at least a shell of the gun? Shouldn't run that much for the plastic. Try hitting up the local makerspace if there is one, or checking around Craigslist or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Looks neat, good job!

I need to get my hands on two desert eagle replicas. Problem is that they run $25 a piece and $50 for props of guns I do t even like is really dumb.

How would I go about sculpting and painting my own, say, out of pink foam?

I made my prop gun from a scrap piece of 2x8 lumber. You could shape it with a traingular barrel to look like a DE.

Rough shape with jigsaw, Dremel, plane and sandpaper

Added some sheet metal pieces to flesh out the handle and a scrap of aluminum bar with some ridges ground in to make the slide

Painted with some metallic spraypaint (later followed with some spray chrome paint)

Final touch was to cut the grips out of some leftover screen door material

So basically do this twice, but shape the top to resemble the Desert Eagle's Toblerone-style barrel.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That's a great idea except that I don't have a jigsaw or plane. gently caress, I really ought to, though.

I'll see about 3D printing. If anything, my dad and I have talked about going in together on one. The only hurdle is deciding whose house it stays at.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
You can buy sheets of foam at home depot or lowes, and just use a razor knife and a sanding sponge. Finish it up with bondo and you should be ok.

You can buy it in big sheets, it's either going to be blue or pink colored.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Inzombiac posted:

That's a great idea except that I don't have a jigsaw or plane. gently caress, I really ought to, though.

I'll see about 3D printing. If anything, my dad and I have talked about going in together on one. The only hurdle is deciding whose house it stays at.

Dude, don't you know? The very first thing anyone does with their first 3D printer is print the parts to build a second one.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Inzombiac posted:

There is a goon somewhere in this thread who actually makes replica weapons. If you are willing to trudge through the thread, you can find him somewhere....

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm morally against 3D printers because the proletariat should never be able to seize the means of production.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

So my next project is Jack of Hearts:

The biggest challenge will be that tunic. I've seen other cosplay efforts use foam/paint to capture all those designs. I plan to sew the whole thing. The shoulder/wings, I do in cloth over some stiffening material (foam, cardstock, etc.) or maybe just a shitload of interfacing.

Should I (a) cut the patterns in layers and then sew them together; (b) do the basic elements in cloth and paint the patterns; or (c) try some kind of iron-on material to add the patterns to cloth?

Discuss

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, maybe you guys can help me out. I've got a project I'm working on that involves a pair of gloves that need to be very articulated and dexterous, but also look armored, especially in the palms. How would you guys go about designing plates of whatever that could be fastened to the palm of a glove to make it look armored, but still allow the palm and fingers to move naturally?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Foam and glue. Keep it simple.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, maybe you guys can help me out. I've got a project I'm working on that involves a pair of gloves that need to be very articulated and dexterous, but also look armored, especially in the palms. How would you guys go about designing plates of whatever that could be fastened to the palm of a glove to make it look armored, but still allow the palm and fingers to move naturally?

Someone on the RPF made these very nice-looking armored hands just by gluing Worbla to some plain black gloves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLKsCAyLHx4

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Jawguard: baked!

So glad I redid it, and I fashioned a handy little system that hold it perfectly in place. Jaw version 1.0 had waaayy too many problems.

Now I think I'm just going to focus on the chainmail. I figure in a couple weeks I'll have the shirt finished, and then I can start on the foam armour and clothwork.

Someone's getting a little brother!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Patattack posted:

Someone on the RPF made these very nice-looking armored hands just by gluing Worbla to some plain black gloves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLKsCAyLHx4

Huh. Something like that might work perfectly. thanks!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Out of curiosity, how heavy has the helmet turned out to be, McKilligan?

Tamir Lenk posted:

Should I (a) cut the patterns in layers and then sew them together; (b) do the basic elements in cloth and paint the patterns; or (c) try some kind of iron-on material to add the patterns to cloth?

If you want to sew it all, I'd do the patterns in layers and sew them together, but if you want something that'll take less time and require less precision on your part as a tailor, go with either paint or iron-on materials. I would probably use the iron-on method to get the same sewn-together look rather than mixing mediums.

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-ScanNCut-Iron-On-Applique-Contact/dp/B00FP44NS6

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

I made armored gauntlets for my Dr. Doom project. The gallery is here http://imgur.com/gallery/nGTUZ

The plates are fastened to a flexible strip (I used pieces of an old inner-tube, but you could go with leather, cloth, etc.). These fit over a gloved hand.

They turned out pretty nice. The wrist transition to the forearm was a bit fiddly though. I could move my fingers around, but typing might be too much :-)

You could do the same thing in material other than sheet aluminum, if you want.

Here is a link to the armor guide:

http://www.armourarchive.org/patterns/gauntlet_thorz/

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
My last few sets of armored gauntlets are a lot like lovely versions of the Doom ones there, I vacuum formed dowels in styrene, cut them down, and hot glued the half round pieces right onto gloves. I was kinda drunk when I was working on my 40k ones and the next morning I was like "Jesus gently caress, Drunk McPanterson really loving loves hot glue..." They look pretty good though, once I pulled all the extra glue off.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Primed with black Gesso - goddamn am I happy with it right now. The horns/crown/back of the helmet aren't 100% accurate to the in-game model, but I attribute those differences to having to fit the drat thing in my tiny-rear end easy-bake oven. Otherwise, I thnk that I've pretty much nailed the profile / overall shape. I might even spraypaint it today, no reason not to.
Now to dive back into chainmail production.

Sculpey was pretty difficult to work with, it was much softer than I remember, and if I was going to do it again I'd have made a lot more of a wire framework to better support it. There's a few places where part of the top of the helmet 'sag' a little bit. That doesn't bother me much, honestly I think it contributes to the whole 'beaten to hell and back' aesthetic that the armor has, but I don't think I would try to use sculpey for any kind of helmet that would have to have a smooth, even finish.

Edit -metal as gently caress

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 27, 2016

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Lookin' great, McKilligan!

Now watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPqj6WaTFOE&t=91s
(Contains no Dark Souls 3 spoilers. This is just a sponsored video to go along with the upcoming DS3 release.)

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
Your hat is going to be badass, McKilligan, but my hat is going to be majestic.

I don't go to conventions or anything, I don't even have a PS4 to actually play the dang game, but I had a mighty need to make something ridiculous.

started by hitting up JoAnn's and the dollar store

made a fabulous mockup

and after about seven hours of beastly idiocy (ask me about the difference between a hexagon and an octagon!) here is where I'm at:

I am going to be scoring foam board in my dreams for a week but I'm very pleased so far, the proportions are just how I imagined. Good thing I'm short because if this thing sat a few inches higher I'd be banging into doorways. It's over two feet tall! Very light so far and not that annoying to wear all things considered but I will have to figure something out to keep it from rocking back and forth on my shoulders.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
gently caress me, I love wax paint.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Micolash! :neckbeard: Practice your weird moany sounds, Circle!

Or are you just doing the helmet? Either way, weird sounds and Bloodborne go hand in hand.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Okay so I'm gonna do the world's most rushed and lovely Furiosa for ECCC Sunday. I'm a professional tailor/seamstress so I can bodge together everything I need really quickly, and I'm overcoming the whole "has two arms" issue by painting my arm chromakey green (aka greenscreen) and probably not even trying to do the robot arm. I'm hoping it'll be a great visual movie tech joke that will get a few laughs. However, I know fuckall about painting my arm green. What's the cheapest/easiest to access option for not-too-awfully-flaky-or-splotchy paint? I'm willing to slightly poison myself (i.e. use fabric paint or whatever) since it's only for one day and I like to live dangerously if it means I can get a good laugh from some nerds.

Limitations: budget (total costume needs to be less than $40), access (Seattle is great but I can't walk to the corner store to buy body paint, but I do live right near Blick which has every other kind of paint but a limited selection of fiber dyes/pigments)

Flexibility: durability (I'm doing this for like, a few hours on Sunday, so I can just not touch things if it's gonna come off on poo poo), shoddiness (it's gonna be a lovely costume, I don't mind being a little streaky or dusty), toxicity

Also, anyone else doing ECCC? Can I ogle your costumes?

Pile of Kittens fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 7, 2016

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Pile of Kittens posted:

Okay so I'm gonna do the world's most rushed and lovely Furiosa for ECCC Sunday. I'm a professional tailor/seamstress so I can bodge together everything I need really quickly, and I'm overcoming the whole "has two arms" issue by painting my arm chromakey green (aka greenscreen) and probably not even trying to do the robot arm. I'm hoping it'll be a great visual movie tech joke that will get a few laughs. However, I know fuckall about painting my arm green. What's the cheapest/easiest to access option for not-too-awfully-flaky-or-splotchy paint? I'm willing to slightly poison myself (i.e. use fabric paint or whatever) since it's only for one day and I like to live dangerously if it means I can get a good laugh from some nerds.

Limitations: budget (total costume needs to be less than $40), access (Seattle is great but I can't walk to the corner store to buy body paint, but I do live right near Blick which has every other kind of paint but a limited selection of fiber dyes/pigments)

Could you find a pair of green leggings/pantyhose and turn that into a shoulder length glove?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006YVZA2W/ref=twister_B010C5VVNW

25 bucks for a full green suit, if you cant find a better glove. Just rip off the arm and sew it onto the costume or something.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I've been slowly grinding away at an Illidan Stormrage costume for a while, and I'm getting to the point where I want my weapon props to be extremely badass. (The costume basically consists of being a half-naked purple elf with awesome weapons, so I'm putting most of my effort into the weapons.)

The weapons need to look metallic, for the most part, but I want to make them glow green. I was thinking that I might cast them in a translucent resin with LEDs embedded, paint the entire thing metallic, and then gently wet-sand the paint off along any corners or raised edges so that the light can shine through. Does this sound plausible, or has anyone tried anything similar? I've seen some crazy weapon builds in this thread.

(Cost is not much of an object for this project, cosplay is basically my only hobby I spend money on.)

MsJoelBoxer
Aug 31, 2004

Your judicial opinions hypnotize me.
Finished up the accessories for my Chun-Li cosplay for PAX East this week. This is my first time doing any cosplay and it's been about 5 years since I sewed anything at all, so it's been an adventure. I have a Street Fighter art book and that has been a really useful resource for getting the shapes.

The bun covers are just two circles of white fabric sewn together with a layer of tulle in between to make them puff and stand up. (I have very long hair, but it is quite thin.) Made a couple extra seams as casing for the elastic, and hand-stitched on the ribbon.

The bangles are two layers of exercise mat foam covered in black nylon. It made a really comfortable bangle that slides on and off easily, while still giving that nice oversized effect. Plus it was easy to stitch inside the wristband to make the surface smooth for attaching the spikes. Spikes are heavy paper made into origami cones, stuffed with tissue paper for body and stiffness, and sealed with glue and a double coat of silver acrylic paint.

I bought a plain blue dress on Amazon and cut it to the right shape, added a mandarin collar, lined the hems/seams in gold bias tape, and applied the gold swirls on the dress using gold fabric and Heat n' Bond. Still a few snaps and a sash to attach, but it's coming along. I found a pair of mid-calf white boots on Amazon, so that was the easy part.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I don't have time to order something on the internet and wait for it to come only to find out it won't work out. I'd also rather not waste gas driving around looking for a place that'll let me buy unusually colored pantyhose for less than like, $10.

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete
For paint I bet there's at least one theater supply shop in the Seattle area where you can buy some Ben Nye and sealer spray. If you want a tutorial there's a lot of good ones, first to come to mind is Hanyaan's troll paint tutorial.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

my cat is norris posted:

Micolash! :neckbeard: Practice your weird moany sounds, Circle!

Or are you just doing the helmet? Either way, weird sounds and Bloodborne go hand in hand.

I would like to do the rest of the outfit later, but only if I can get our sewing machine set up, because I am Very Much Done with handsewing right now. It's good to focus on just fabrication again for a while!

Finished blocking out the top and bottom yesterday, and now I'm using celluclay to patch any gaps where the foamboard seams didn't quite match. Tonight after dinner I'll work on adding all those little cage bars.

awoooo

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

blastron posted:

Illidan Stormrage...

The weapons need to look metallic, for the most part, but I want to make them glow green. I was thinking that I might cast them in a translucent resin with LEDs embedded, paint the entire thing metallic, and then gently wet-sand the paint off along any corners or raised edges so that the light can shine through. Does this sound plausible, or has anyone tried anything similar? I've seen some crazy weapon builds in this thread.

Kohalu did an awesome Illidan last year at Blizzcon. He did the glaives like you mention, with resin and LEDs. I'm pretty sure there are WIP pics on his facebook page. I've no experience with resin, but I saw his weapons up close last year and they were amazing.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

The last time I needed to do body paint for cosplay, I used Snazaroo face paint on my face, neck, and arms. It worked great, lasted all day with no issues except on my palms, and was super cheap (got the paint on amazon and used makeup setting spray I already had, although it'll work without the spray too), but was a total pain in the rear end to apply. Took like three coats before it looked even, and that was applying a color that was a lot more like skin tone than greenscreen-green will be. (The costume was Marceline, who is grey.) I'm also not sure you'll be able to get the super-neon effect you want with just face paint. But if you just want a cheap laugh green face paint ought to be fine.

IME the best body paint brands are Kryolan and Wolfe, but Ben Nye and Snazaroo have also been good to me. You're probably going to be most limited by what you can find, so maybe call around a bit to see who's got what first.

As an aside, I'm also in Seattle, so if you want you can PM me and I can lend you some dayglo green body paint I've got lying around, if you prefer. I've also got the black I used for *my* Furiosa costume at Halloween if you need that.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

blastron posted:

I've been slowly grinding away at an Illidan Stormrage costume for a while, and I'm getting to the point where I want my weapon props to be extremely badass. (The costume basically consists of being a half-naked purple elf with awesome weapons, so I'm putting most of my effort into the weapons.)

(Cost is not much of an object for this project, cosplay is basically my only hobby I spend money on.)

Doing a light coat of metallic spraypaint over transparent plastic is exactly how I painted my Frostmourne and it looked badass as all get out, if I do say so myself. I'd say just have a piece you can test to make sure your spray is transluscent enough, and use lots of lights.

In action

Also I've been super busy because I'm doing some paid cosplay work (!!!) for Arda Wigs testing new materials! I did a review video for them that I think they're releasing this weekend/today, I'll definitely post it. Been interesting so far and a really nice chance to try out some weird new materials.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
I decided that I wanted to add a ton of rivets to the Mensis Cage to make it look more convincingly like metal, and also to hide/reinforce the foamboard seams. There are only a few on the in-game model from what I can see but artistic license, etc. etc.

Anyway, there are only so many options for fake rivets that are lightweight, cheap, and come in a variety of small sizes.

The result is what I like to call bloodborne.jpg

the beer is for uh... size comparison. yes. Primer coat goes on tomorrow! :dance:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I almost feel like you shouldn't paint over the eyes. They're too thematically appropriate

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Paint over all but one.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Looking good, Squarely Circle!

Pre-weathering stage:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Circle, that was the best scroll down surprise I've seen in awhile.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Okay so I'm working on this guy.
I'm looking for something for the pants. I don't want to do spandex but I'm looking for a thicker and semi-stretchy material. I tried out everything in jeans and it's pretty uncomfortable to have it all bunched up.

Something I could get on Amazon would be great. They don't exactly make jeggings for dudes, haha.
Edit: Skinny jeans are a no-go. I actually have muscle and some fat on me.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 11, 2016

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Maybe motorcycle pants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

They DO make jeggings for dudes! You probably want to look into meggings, though, or stretch skinny jeans. These options all contain spandex in some percentage.

Motorcycle pants are another good suggestion, as mentioned.

Could also look into workout wear or dancer wear.