Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

ufarn posted:

So what's up with one of the Irish mobsters in the first episode missing a hand? It looks like it was cut off, as is Stick's style, but that doesn't make any sense. This is a rewatch of the season, but I can't put two and two together.

There are context clues later that indicate that his hand was cuffed to the briefcase full of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ufarn posted:

So what's up with one of the Irish mobsters in the first episode missing a hand? It looks like it was cut off, as is Stick's style, but that doesn't make any sense. This is a rewatch of the season, but I can't put two and two together.

Remember that van that blows up and kills 2 of the mobsters? The main guy was looking for his money? The briefcase the mobsters were looking for had a bloody handcuff attached to it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ufarn posted:

Did you miss the part about his father wanting the missing briefcase of money? The one with a handcuff on it?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Something weird I liked about that first scene was it looked like the mob was just about to murder their guest of honor when Frank crashed the party.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Did you miss the part about his father wanting the missing briefcase of money? The one with a handcuff on it?

The most hosed up Irish wake ever.

Just finished the last episode, man, this season was awesome. The Punisher is just so dope on this show, he pretty much overshadowed the Elektra/hand stuff, which is my only real complaint about the season. I still enjoyed that plot, it's just that it felt a bit muddled and a lot less visceral compared to the Punisher stuff. Maybe they could have saved some of that, and Elektra's demise for the next seasonI thought I remembered Bullseye killed her in the comics, and that's what led to him being DD's ultimate villain, but I haven't read comics in decades

Can't wait for the Punisher series, there's gotta be one, Josh B's Punisher is just such a compelling character, it would be crazy to just not do it and there were plenty of hints/hooks that we'd be seeing more of him. Speaking of those, can someone who's read the comics tell me if that "MILO" disc is from them, and what it's significance is?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

savinhill posted:

Speaking of those, can someone who's read the comics tell me if that "MILO" disc is from them, and what it's significance is?

Micro was a guy who's kid got murdered and sought out Frank to help him out for a while in the old old punisher comics. Hacker, information broker, acquired weapons, that sort of thing.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

site posted:

Micro was a guy who's kid got murdered and sought out Frank to help him out for a while in the old old punisher comics. Hacker, information broker, acquired weapons, that sort of thing.

Oh, alright, I remember that guy, he drove the van sometimes, and I think was in a wheelchair(unless I'm getting him mixed up with a different sidekick). That's great news, Punisher solo series-specific characters already getting set up!

ufarn
May 30, 2009

GlitchThief posted:

There are context clues later that indicate that his hand was cuffed to the briefcase full of money.
Ah, I see.

moths posted:

Something weird I liked about that first scene was it looked like the mob was just about to murder their guest of honor when Frank crashed the party.
Either that or there's some weird Irish tradition for smashing bottles into tables or something. I definitely thought the former during the first watch.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

ufarn posted:

Either that or there's some weird Irish tradition for smashing bottles into tables or something. I definitely thought the former during the first watch.

Definitely a tradition where I grew up, and a necessity!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

savinhill posted:

Oh, alright, I remember that guy, he drove the van sometimes, and I think was in a wheelchair(unless I'm getting him mixed up with a different sidekick). That's great news, Punisher solo series-specific characters already getting set up!

I mentioned it earlier in the thread but Micro's actually been in the MCU for a while, Skye in Agents of SHIELD name-dropped him as an associate who's "kind of a crime-scene junkie".

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

moths posted:

yeah, it was a great setup -- I was expecting the whole DeNiro untouchables thing and instead we got something entirely different

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
So will Rosario Dawson appear in every season of every Netflix Marvel show for a few episodes mini arc? Are Netflix trying to establish their own little Stan Lee cameo type of tradition trademark for their Marvel properties with her?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I've been thinking of her as Netflix's Coulson.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yea, I'm kind of assuming she'll be the one to organize and bring together the Defenders and appear in each show to get to know each character because of it. I doubt she'll die to do it, but she'll be the one who knows them all at least, and now she has a lack of job as motivation to become Night Nurse proper and treat heroes off the radar as her night job.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Some more Punisher musings...

I like how they handled the Punisher vs Daredevil fights in the show. Both guys get their shots in, overall I think the Punisher wins more of their confrontations than he loses or at least ties, despite all of Matt's Stick training and super radar powers. I think this works well logically because ultimately Castle has a lot more field experience than Matt does and I also think it works well creatively because the Punisher, lacking any flashy superpowers, needs to be shown as a forced to be reckoned with if he's going to be seen by the viewer as a legitimate player in that world.

A ways back I saw it mentioned that Ennis' Punisher taking on some of the other super powered heroes in the comics and doing well against them was a bit cheesy, but I thought Ennis handled it really well. There's aways been this question of "how can a guy with no superpowers keep up with characters who can bench press a Buick or hear a pin drop a mile away, or heal from nearly any injury." The thing is though, this is the same question that is posed to Batman and it makes sense because (even though it's supposed to be Moon Knight) the Punisher really is the marvel universe's version of Batman. I think it's a concept that works really well for his character. My favorite aspect of Ennis' Punisher is that unlike every other comic book character he doesn't have a floating timeline. So there's this idea that the reason the Punisher is so good at what he does is precisely because he's been doing it for so long. At one point in the comics CIA talks about how the Punisher has been waging constant total war for over 30 years and is confirmed to have murdered over 2000 people. The idea is that the Punisher has been at war for so long that he's developed such an advanced level of strategic thinking and tactical battlefield awareness that he can at times appear almost super human.

One of my favorite story lines from the Ennis comics run is A Confederacy of Dunces, the aforementioned arc where the Punisher faces off against a teamed up Daredevil, Spider-Man, and Wolverine. The thing is, he doesn't easily whip their asses. He's on the run the entire time, and every time he manages to stall them long enough to escape it's by using strategy, taking advantage of their weaknesses, and playing them against each other, never through physicality. In fact, unlike in the TV show, he completely loses to Daredevil almost immediately when they actually engage in a fist fight. I thought that was a great story arc and a really interesting way to show how the Punisher is able to stay in the game surrounded by super powered characters.

For anyone who hasn't, I really can't recommend reading Garth Ennis' run on the Punisher enough. Personally I prefer the more serious tone of MAX to the ridiculous humor included in Marvel Knights. But it's all really fantastic writing, some of the best comic book writing period.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 25, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

Yea, I'm kind of assuming she'll be the one to organize and bring together the Defenders and appear in each show to get to know each character because of it. I doubt she'll die to do it, but she'll be the one who knows them all at least, and now she has a lack of job as motivation to become Night Nurse proper and treat heroes off the radar as her night job.

Didn't they explicitly say she wasn't Night Nurse or going to be Night Nurse because the character was set to appear elsewhere (and they even admitted "we intended for her to be Night Nurse, she couldn't be, so we just changed the name and basically kept the character the same.")

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Possibly, outside this thread I haven't been keeping up with news on the shows at all. I just assumed she was still going to be the Night Nurse.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Given that Elektra's fortune was tied up in Roxxon, I'm assuming it was just a test for when Danny Rand has to take Rand Inc. back from Roxxon. I do want to see his bemused reaction to simple ninja bullshit.

Speaking of, I think I know why the ninja fights don't fee as satisfying as the other fights. They seem to have a different style of fight choreography. Hand fights feel like old Samurai movie fights, which tend to have the good guy just mowing through mooks like paper and only having trouble when fighting boss type guys(Nobu), mixed with Super Sentai. They also strictly follow 80s action movie ninja fight rules where they more clearly wait to fight one on one.

In contrast normal Daredevil fights against "American" crime go with a gritty Hollywood style of choreography. In these Daredevil is rolling through guys in a "white guy karate" meets brawling style. Think Road House and Rocky having an unholy baby using They Live as a surrogate. This is geared towards making fights look brutal as gently caress and is more into showing the protagonist getting worn down than the Japanese style.

There hasn't been enough of it to really tell, but interactions with Madam Gao's goons seem to have a more Hong Kong fight feel to them. Which makes me excited for Iron Fist. Wuxia meets non-comedic Jackie Chan fighting would be pretty sweet.

savinhill posted:

So will Rosario Dawson appear in every season of every Netflix Marvel show for a few episodes mini arc? Are Netflix trying to establish their own little Stan Lee cameo type of tradition trademark for their Marvel properties with her?

They have built her arc across both shows so far, so it's likely to continue. Starts out in Daredevil as fine with her job, is about to break under all the poo poo she's under in Jessica Jones, then gets pushed too far in Daredevil 2 and quits the lovely hospital job she now hates. Really the only problem with her story so far is that the Hospital Admin guy was just way too big a dick and was doing some dumb poo poo. Have him be about 85% instead of mythic 100% dick, and make the cover up less about a huge hush hush donation and more about saving the hospital from bad press/lawsuits. I'm sure their insurance is way more likely to pay out for sudden death by junkie than they are for undead ninja ex machina.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Gyges posted:

Speaking of, I think I know why the ninja fights don't fee as satisfying as the other fights. They seem to have a different style of fight choreography. Hand fights feel like old Samurai movie fights, which tend to have the good guy just mowing through mooks like paper and only having trouble when fighting boss type guys(Nobu), mixed with Super Sentai. They also strictly follow 80s action movie ninja fight rules where they more clearly wait to fight one on one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Piell posted:

Yes, TMNT is a parody of Daredevil (they were trained by a guy named Stick Splinter and their enemies are called the Hand Foot). Also the chemicals that blinded Daredevil are the same ones that mutated the turtles.

TMNT wasn't a parody. It was just an "homage", which is a nice way of saying ripoff.

Gyges posted:

The fight choreography was inexplicably bad for the ninja stuff. I just don't believe those boring fights were in the same season as that insane biker gang fight.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 25, 2016

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

TMNT wasn't a parody. It was just an "homage", which is a nice way of saying ripoff

It started as both, to varying degrees.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Galvanik posted:

Season one wasn't that interesting to me so I gave up about halfway through, so I'm curious about something that happened at the newspaper with Karen. She and the bald reporter go into Ben Ulrich's office and she sees a folder with her name on it and breaks down crying after looking through it. The reporter says "Ben didn't care and I don't either." What was that about?
The newspaper clipping we see has something to do with her brother's death in a car accident. We're not really given any more than that. She did say to Wesley that she knew what a loaded gun felt like before she shot him, and in this season The Punisher remarks that she knew what she was doing (or something like that?) when she picked out her gun, so there's been speculation around that, but we don't really have anything concrete.

I also didn't really care for the ninja stuff this season. Was disappointed we didn't see Castle mow down a hundred of them with the minigun. Where did they all go? There were like 30 max at the end fight, but we saw a ton more than that running along the rooftops prior to that.

Oh yeah, and Daredevil could only hear their swords when they're moving next to him, but he can hear Stick whisper from another room? Come on.

odiv fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 25, 2016

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

knees of putty posted:

Karen was the best part of the season. She was acted great, much better than DD who was a bunch of tics. I loved the kingpin/punisher monologues, but they were hardly nuanced. She got shoehorned into plot a bit, but she was the only one who seemed to have some agency rather than being constrained by some crappy ruleset or predefined character archetype. The show was so great when it was about characters and their interactions, but the terrible ninja stuff always felt so weak. Just before Frank threw DD off the ship, I was so hoping the dialogue about actions and consequences would come to something, but it just ended up with more navel gazing and fighting ninjas. It's great TV, but JJ has it much better dialed for me.

100% agreed. Woll is an amazing actor, and Karen is easily one of the best female characters on MCU and DC television.

I also really, really liked Elektra. Her romance with Matt was a tiny bit boring towards the end, but she was great at conveying her inner-conflict. Although my favorite scene was after she and Matt finish beating up the Yakuza at the high-rise apartment, and she approaches Matt, lowers her mask and goes, "Hungry? :D"

And man, that ending. On the one hand, I'm glad Matt told her he's DD. On the other hand, it was funny as hell because she figured out all kinds of mysteries during season one and two, and probably felt a little foolish that she overlooked what was right in front of her the whole time. I'm really curious if they're going to continue their romance next season. Personally I think Woll and Cox have great on-screen chemistry, and now that the characters don't work in the same small office maybe they'll give it another shot.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

odiv posted:

Was disappointed we didn't see Castle mow down a hundred of them with the minigun. Where did they all go? There were like 30 max at the end fight, but we saw a ton more than that running along the rooftops prior to that.

Yeah, this would have been simply incredible, and I (like many others here, I'm sure) thought they hinted at some sort of ninja mow-down when he looked at the minigun in an earlier scene and his finger twitched.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Subvisual Haze posted:

It's weird because Karen actually showed some agency in the first season during her encounter with Wesley, but this season was just a parade of cowering or running from shoot outs, getting voluntarily kidnapped by Frank, and getting involuntarily kidnapped by everyone else.

I'm just catching up on the last few pages of the thread, and still the last few eps of the show, but I wanted to touch on this.

Karen killing Wesley isn't mentioned in Previously Ons or flashbacks or the script, but it is a HUGE driver of the plot of this season, and part of why I'm enjoying it. Karen's willingness to break into Punisher's house, her need of Matt to accept that killing can be justified, her continuation of the case in between the trial ending and Frank escaping -

Karen sees herself in Punisher in a way that Matt can't sympathize with. Has more in common with Electra, in some ways, than Matt does. All because she killed Wesley and [IIRC] nobody knows.

The initial Matt+Karen setup doesn't work for me that well, but overall not only do I think Karen is just fine this season, I think she is the moral crossroads of the show, who has killed someone in secret and regrets it. I'm mostly surprised the script isn't full of flashbacks or exposition reminding us of that.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's a famous Punisher cover where he's standing on a rooftop firing that same minigun. I have a heroclix of it somewhere, and I was also expecting to see it at the end.

I wonder if the Hand were just filmed wrong. Their iconic illustrations depict a swarm of ninjas - it might have been better to fill the screen with them, framing the shot with bodies to stress their numbers. Cinematography and three times as many extras could have made up for the choreography.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

So I have a big question... Sorry if this was asked before though.

The blood urn where the 5 people where being exsanguinated...
They came back from near death... The son killed the dad showing blood from his neck...
Is this all related to Morbius? Because it was just screaming Morbius to me, but they just left it open for questions...

What's everyone's opinion of this?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The Hand's sudden hostage-taking of the show's plot reminded me of when the X-men would jet out to the Shi'ar empire every few years. Has gently caress all to do with the show's actual themes or characters, but hey, gently caress it! Xavier can bang an alien and wolverine can shoot lasers!

I liked parts of the Stick/Elektra/Hand arc. The hour where they focused on fleshing out Elektra's past worked well for me, as an example. But the Hand is just totally nebulous, and completely lacking in any sort of definition, stakes, or goals. For fucks sake, Damien Dahrk over on Arrow is a much better take on the "Death Cult causing vague apocalypse" schtick.

Tell me what the Black Sky actually is. Super powers? Bloodlust? loving define this poo poo.

Look at Buffy season five where the idea that Buffy has a mystical sister is The Key should be goofy as hell. But instead the show immediately defined WHY Dawn was so crucial.

Here I'm just not sure.

Also, did the exploding boat kill all the henchmen? If so, that was supremely poorly staged.

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 25, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Light Gun Man posted:

It started as both, to varying degrees.

Well if you can find any satirical elements in the first finished issue, let me know.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

And man, that ending. On the one hand, I'm glad Matt told her he's DD. On the other hand, it was funny as hell because she figured out all kinds of mysteries during season one and two, and probably felt a little foolish that she overlooked what was right in front of her the whole time. I'm really curious if they're going to continue their romance next season. Personally I think Woll and Cox have great on-screen chemistry, and now that the characters don't work in the same small office maybe they'll give it another shot.

I can't really blame her since she never even got brought up to speed like everyone else re: 'I can hear and touch things so well that I can tell what color fabrics are* and listen to people's heartbeats.'

You know that, you know the boxing thing and maybe you could put two and two together.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If it wasn't for the Punisher, S2 would've been way worse than S1 for me as opposed to just regular worse. I really hated the amount of screen time they gave Karen but that's because I really disliked the character ever since she stalked and harassed an old lady with dementia, getting Ben killed in the process.

Also Elektra getting cool armor from the Gladiator (I keep forgetting his real name) but still having exposed flesh is lol

E: oh yeah also upset that they only used the Father for one episode when those were definitely the most interesting talky scenes in S1

Eej fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 25, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I liked the season and it was a fun ride but it REALLY felt like they did the first ten episodes then suddenly realized they had only three more to wrap it all up. The last three felt so rushed with:

Daredevil stopping Elektra's murder spree
Frank finding the Blacksmith that no one can trace in like a evening
Foggy getting offered a name in a law-firm based on basically one decent opening statement and a referral
Clare quitting
Electra and Stick's backstory
The Black Sky being introduced and then not explained
Frank becoming the Punisher for real after conveniently finding an armory in a shed
Karen being kidnapped twice in one night
A million ninja fights
The Hand brainwashing teenagers and also maybe the ninjas are zombies?
Elektra is gonna get revived since of course they did nothing to actually stop the Hand
Evil Hand woman is introduced but then totally disappears
Nobu is killed for good (maybe)

I think they really could have tightened up some of the earlier episodes (specifically Karen's newspaper career and the ninja fights) and then given some of that stuff more time instead of just slamming it all out there. The Blacksmith particularly was really quick and I didn't really care much about Nobu being the big bad that gets taken down at the end like Fisk since he was just another evil Ninja with no personality in a season crawling with faceless evil ninjas. Then the piles of unresolved stuff they threw out was annoying which I'm assuming they are going to use to lead into the other Marvel shows but there was just way too much left hanging, especially if you don't follow comics.

Having said that the Punisher was so good it really felt like he was the star and the Electra/Hand story with Daredevil was the B plot.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 25, 2016

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

ExplodingSquid posted:

So I have a big question... Sorry if this was asked before though.

The blood urn where the 5 people where being exsanguinated...
They came back from near death... The son killed the dad showing blood from his neck...
Is this all related to Morbius? Because it was just screaming Morbius to me, but they just left it open for questions...

What's everyone's opinion of this?

The Hand doesn't traditionally have anything to do with Morbius so I doubt it. It just seems like the show's take on The Hand resurrection ritual.

I think we'd be far more likely to see Morbius in a potential Blade movie if that franchise ever takes off again.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Those gangsters at the beginning that the Punisher massacred were really dumb. I think.

The smart move would be to hit the ground when someone starts opening fire on you right?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
every time Elektra smiled I forgot the plot of the episode

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Eej posted:

Also Elektra getting cool armor from the Gladiator (I keep forgetting his real name) but still having exposed flesh is lol

Betsy needs those opera gloves to protect herself!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Well if you can find any satirical elements in the first finished issue, let me know.

The title, for one.I mean, straight from wikipedia here:

"The concept originated from a comical drawing sketched out by Kevin Eastman during a casual evening of brainstorming with his friend Peter Laird. The drawing of a short, squat turtle wearing a mask with nunchakus strapped to its arms was humorous to the young artists, as it played upon the inherent contradiction of a slow, cold-blooded reptile with the speed and agility of Japanese martial arts. Laird suggested that they create a team of four such turtles, each specializing in a different weapon.[1] Eastman and Laird often cited the work of Frank Miller and Jack Kirby as their major artistic influences.[2]

Using money from a tax refund together with a loan from Eastman's uncle, they formed Mirage Studios and self-published a single-issue comic book that would parody four popular comics of the early 1980s: Marvel Comics' The New Mutants, which featured teenage mutants, Cerebus, which featured anthropomorphic animals, Ronin, and Daredevil, which featured ninja clans dueling for control of the New York City underworld.[3]"

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
e: nevermind

Daredevil and TMNT are both cool

that one guy fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 25, 2016

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Eej posted:

It was especially funny because most of her injuries over the course of the season were slashes to her upper arm, which is exactly what happened again in the armor. And of course it didn't help her much with the sai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

notthegoatseguy posted:

The Hand doesn't traditionally have anything to do with Morbius so I doubt it. It just seems like the show's take on The Hand resurrection ritual.

I think we'd be far more likely to see Morbius in a potential Blade movie if that franchise ever takes off again.

I'm kind of anticipating that'll happen. Not that the Hand will have anything to do with it, but that the blood-magic goth ritual poo poo will eventually connect to some wider vampire mythos.

A Netflix Blade series would be amazing. Ironically, Marvel's superhero output has come full circle, because the aesthetic style and scope of the 1998 Blade is way more similar to Daredevil than it is to most of the MCU feature projects.