Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Mercrom posted:

Crit earthquake with Abyssus is the worst case scenario for physical reflect but it can still be managed better than elemental reflect. I have 40k armor which is a 40% reduction against a 6k hit/reflection. With 8 endurance charges that becomes 72%. With a basalt flask it is capped at 90%. As a bonus I use a Rumi's which means I have almost 60k armor and a 48% chance to block my own attacks.
That's an enormous investment in phys mitigation though, compared to capping fire res at 75% which everybody does, and it's still only over 84% with a flask up (there are ele resist flasks too). In the vast majority of cases phys reflect is more of a problem for phys damage builds with auras and Abyssus than elemental reflect is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Infinite Monkeys posted:

That's an enormous investment in phys mitigation though, compared to capping fire res at 75% which everybody does, and it's still only over 84% with a flask up (there are ele resist flasks too). In the vast majority of cases phys reflect is more of a problem for phys damage builds with auras and Abyssus than elemental reflect is.
If you are using Abyssus as anything but a juggernaut running determination I don't know what to tell you. Even then if you are using literally any other skill than earthquake 15k armor will be enough. The per-hit damage of earthquake's aftershock far surpasses any other skill in the game, at about 250% of weapon damage if you use less duration. If you use Reave which does 85% of weapon damage factoring in multistrike you only need a third of the armor.

This is all a moot point for dex builds who use CWDT Immortal call anyway.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Mercrom posted:

If you are using Abyssus as anything but a juggernaut running determination I don't know what to tell you
Not everyone plays HC

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

edit: apparently people have already done this to great results and I'm not original at all!
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1629964/page/1

thanks to bro GGG for protecting scammers

Had a good idea for a scam last night. Might get you delisted from poe.trade if people report you but just make a new account for this lmao

step 1: get a lot of coins, like 30k worth
step 2: sell a ton of coins and make sure you say that it's in bulk only
any retardo that wants to buy 5000+ coins probably just found a shavs/volls/headhunter/mirror

so what you're going to do is
step 3: invite him and when he goes to your hideout, head to his instead and run into his map. cadiro is probably right there
step 4: buy the item
step 5 (optional) whisper the item to him and say "lol" a lot afterwards
step 6: give some chaos to me for giving you this great plan

edit: pro tip if now you're paranoid, put your map device in one of the side rooms or surround it by bookcases. Either way just put bookcases from elereon to block off access if you don't want people stealing your cadiros :thumbsup:

mbt fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 24, 2016

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Bugsy posted:

Got +2 cold twice, and +2 lightning once so just unlucky. Its item level 63.

I would sell it white. Whoever buys it will want to try and get +3 fire on it, which involves a white staff, catarina's crafting bench, and lots of transmutes, regals, and scours. The low makes it more attractive to anyone who wants to craft it.

Mortimer posted:

stupid scam

This is why, if you are buying coins for an immediate purchase, add the seller as a friend but dont invite them to your party. They can visit your hideout but cant go in your map.

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Shinino Kage posted:

drat. I was hoping I could remap the hot keys and potions. I have to shift my body to the left whenever I play the drat game.

You can definitely remap hotkeys and potions to other keys on the keyboard.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Mortimer posted:

edit: apparently people have already done this to great results and I'm not original at all!
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1629964/page/1

thanks to bro GGG for protecting scammers

Had a good idea for a scam last night. Might get you delisted from poe.trade if people report you but just make a new account for this lmao

step 1: get a lot of coins, like 30k worth
step 2: sell a ton of coins and make sure you say that it's in bulk only
any retardo that wants to buy 5000+ coins probably just found a shavs/volls/headhunter/mirror

so what you're going to do is
step 3: invite him and when he goes to your hideout, head to his instead and run into his map. cadiro is probably right there
step 4: buy the item
step 5 (optional) whisper the item to him and say "lol" a lot afterwards
step 6: give some chaos to me for giving you this great plan

edit: pro tip if now you're paranoid, put your map device in one of the side rooms or surround it by bookcases. Either way just put bookcases from elereon to block off access if you don't want people stealing your cadiros :thumbsup:

No screen shots so all this forum post is is circumstantial. It's probably true but not enough proof to let the scammers name be tarnished. Granted very few people will see this and he can just name change.

But like funman said. Lol if you dont add them to friends list and trade them outside of your party.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I'm pretty sure if you edit hideout settings you can also just not let people come to yours, so just meet at his.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Shinino Kage posted:

Agreed. I corrupted a tabula, got nothing on it, and put it up for 1c less than the lowest corrupted similar tabula, and sold it in under 5 minutes.

How much was it? I'm curious if it was below the chaos value of a divine. Mb people just flip them for divines.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Would anyone be willing to give me some idea how to fix my first character?

I didn't really follow a build guide or anything, and my friend wants me to run maps with him, but I think I need to overhaul my passive tree if possible.

I think I have 6 skill points I can spend and ~11 respec points? Something like that, I can't tell through the website. Can anyone take a look at my skill tree and just let me know how I could make it somewhat viable, if it's even possible? I'm at the end of Cruel right now--think I still need to do the second dream dungeon and then the final boss.

The character is IronQueenDecember--

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/a_strange_aeon

I just sort of tried to get all the Minion nodes, which in hindsight was pretty dumb. I don't really want to spend any Orbs of Regret on my first character, so if the 6 skill points and ~11 respec points aren't enough to make a difference, I'll probably just work on leveling up my lower level character.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

bakka bakka posted:

You should not be using Cyclone with a Marohi Erqi. Movement and attack speed are large parts of its DPS, Marohi fucks both of them. If you're going to stick with Cyclone, use Hezmana's bloodlust. Your gear is in desperate need of an upgrade. Your belt, left ring, amulet, and armor are hot garbage. 30 chaos should be enough to get some basic mapping gear. I'd also suggest dropping some of those jewel sockets for damage nodes that are much more efficient.

Thanks! Love advice like this. Replaced the belt, got a Hezmana that I managed to 5l for a couple chaos, and my tooltip DPS is up to 27k from 15k. Earthquake was fun to mess around with, but cyclone's just so easy to zone out with.

It's weird, earlier characters always had something more obviously wrong earlier. This one made it to capped resists, maps-ish dps, and decent mitigation. I was sailing through T1~3, higher ones were just a slog. I still have Too Much currency and Hot Garbage in a couple slots, but a much better idea of where to go. Cheers!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

do maps expire after 8-16 minutes like regular instances?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I've been getting a bunch of uniques lately that seem to be pointing me towards a fire-oriented Templar build. Is that a thing? What Fire skills are good to use?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Awesome! posted:

do maps expire after 8-16 minutes like regular instances?

Yes

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

DaveWoo posted:

So I've been getting a bunch of uniques lately that seem to be pointing me towards a fire-oriented Templar build. Is that a thing? What Fire skills are good to use?

totems, RF, firestorm, cold->fire icestorm?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lame. i assume they count as a dead end zone so its 8 minutes.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Awesome! posted:

lame. i assume they count as a dead end zone so its 8 minutes.

They dont expire at all if you use the zana map device in your hideout. Only way they can drop is if your instance crashes, or you log off for a period of time.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

TheRat posted:

They dont expire at all if you use the zana map device in your hideout. Only way they can drop is if your instance crashes, or you log off for a period of time.

This isn't 100% correct, if you're not in your hideout the portals can disappear eventually. It's a bit random though, sometimes they will stick around for hours. If you sit in the hideout they will stay though.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Cinara posted:

This isn't 100% correct, if you're not in your hideout the portals can disappear eventually. It's a bit random though, sometimes they will stick around for hours. If you sit in the hideout they will stay though.

Instances can crash without you being in it. What he said is correct - they expire if you log off or the instance crashes.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Even in the laboratory maps last longer than regular instances. The best way to farm tempests was to open 8-10 maps at the time then just switch over once one was cleared. You could even keep them open after the tempest changed.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

What the what?

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1631285

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Datamined Illusory Warp appears to be an instant teleport that creates shilled ground, shorter cast time than Flame Dash and I'd personally guess the range will be equal to Lightning Warp.
http://poedb.tw/us/gem.php?n=Illusory%20Warp
The datamined cooldown is horrendous though, 8 seconds. If it isn't changed and there's no way to bypass it, the amulet is gonna be worse than any amulet with a life roll on it :v:

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
What is shilled ground?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Count Uvula posted:

Datamined Illusory Warp appears to be an instant teleport that creates shilled ground, shorter cast time than Flame Dash and I'd personally guess the range will be equal to Lightning Warp.
http://poedb.tw/us/gem.php?n=Illusory%20Warp
The datamined cooldown is horrendous though, 8 seconds. If it isn't changed and there's no way to bypass it, the amulet is gonna be worse than any amulet with a life roll on it :v:

Even then I don't see how it'd be good. You're just getting a nifty movement skill in return for wearing an otherwise trash neck. Tiny bit of resists but no life or ES, curse range is more or less pointless, tiny bit of cold damage, and I honestly didn't even know the game HAD a silence effect.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 25, 2016

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
Umm. Did you read that lore? Neck is great!

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Can anyone on Perandus Standard give me a hand? I need a Warlord's Mark, but can't buy one as a Shadow and I dont want to roll another character just to be able to buy a single gem.

edit: Was able to get one from a guy.

akkristor fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 25, 2016

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Looks like a support curser type neck. Don't they run a million auras so the lack of stats should be OK?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
The main utility of curse radius is that it effects blasphemy radius. A dedicated support character will probably be fine casting a curse twice, or be using a spell or attack that does multiple curses on hit where curse radius doesn't come up.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Even then I don't see how it'd be good. You're just getting a nifty movement skill in return for wearing an otherwise trash neck. Tiny bit of resists but no life or ES, curse range is more or less pointless, tiny bit of cold damage, and I honestly didn't even know the game HAD a silence effect.

I'd give up my amulet slot for a lightning warp with 90% less duration on certain builds :colbert:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Silence only shows up with Hexfront rares I believe.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

boxes can also silence, and there's a ghost (seditionist) that gives everything it touches a 4 second silence on hit that is absolutely loving miserable if you don't have a decent duration curse immunity flask.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Count Uvula posted:

The main utility of curse radius is that it effects blasphemy radius. A dedicated support character will probably be fine casting a curse twice, or be using a spell or attack that does multiple curses on hit where curse radius doesn't come up.

I'd give up my amulet slot for a lightning warp with 90% less duration on certain builds :colbert:

Link Lightning Warp with Rapid Decay, Less Duration, and Faster Casting :smugbert:

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

I didn't really follow a build guide or anything, and my friend wants me to run maps with him, but I think I need to overhaul my passive tree if possible.

Pretty much everyone fucks up their first character. I have no idea what you want to do with your character, so I can't really help you.

I'd suggest following a guild for your first few characters, it sucks getting to endgame and finding out your build is gimped.

Check LiftingNerdBro's youtube, it has some simple strong simple builds for this league, look for Ascendancy. This website scrapes the PoE forums and has an easily filterable list of builds.

If you want to build your own character it's a good idea to decide on a few things before you start putting any points on the skill tree:

1. Are you going to go life, CI (Chaos Inoculation, a keystone on the passive tree, means you scale energy shield instead of life) or hybrid ES/Life?

2. How are you going to mitigate damage done to you, and damage reflected back to you?

3. What skill do you want to use? How do you scale the damage of that skill?

Build the character out to 90 and ask some people who know what they are doing if it is going to be crap.

E: ZiggyD has some videos going up on how to gear out a character for cheap, they are useful. Look for 10 Chaos Budget Gear Set.

Haerc fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 25, 2016

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
The real news with that amulet is it's a component in the fishing quest.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Haerc posted:

Pretty much everyone fucks up their first character. I have no idea what you want to do with your character, so I can't really help you.

I'd suggest following a guild for your first few characters, it sucks getting to endgame and finding out your build is gimped.

Check LiftingNerdBro's youtube, it has some simple strong simple builds for this league, look for Ascendancy. This website scrapes the PoE forums and has an easily filterable list of builds.

If you want to build your own character it's a good idea to decide on a few things before you start putting any points on the skill tree:

1. Are you going to go life, CI (Chaos Inoculation, a keystone on the passive tree, means you scale energy shield instead of life) or hybrid ES/Life?

2. How are you going to mitigate damage done to you, and damage reflected back to you?

3. What skill do you want to use? How do you scale the damage of that skill?

Build the character out to 90 and ask some people who know what they are doing if it is going to be crap.

E: ZiggyD has some videos going up on how to gear out a character for cheap, they are useful. Look for 10 Chaos Budget Gear Set.

Thanks for the response--I'm just not an optimal player or whatever, so it's going to take me a while to get a character high enough level to do maps with my friend, if I can't salvage the witch.

I have been following a Lifting Nerd Bro video for one build, but it's only in the teens. It seems like it's really hard to respec into something decent, even with a decent number of respec points and unspent passives.

As for what I want to do with the witch, I don't particularly care. I just want to be able to play with my friend if possible, which means getting through Merciless. I found a Raise Zombie gem early on and thought it sounded cool, so I just built towards all the minion nodes mostly. I primarily use a Frost Pulse spell--it does ~5000 DPS, but I don't know if that's even good for where I'm at in the game--Act 4 Cruel.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

A Strange Aeon posted:

I think I have 6 skill points I can spend and ~11 respec points? Something like that, I can't tell through the website. Can anyone take a look at my skill tree and just let me know how I could make it somewhat viable, if it's even possible? I'm at the end of Cruel right now--think I still need to do the second dream dungeon and then the final boss.

The character is IronQueenDecember--

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/a_strange_aeon

I just sort of tried to get all the Minion nodes, which in hindsight was pretty dumb. I don't really want to spend any Orbs of Regret on my first character, so if the 6 skill points and ~11 respec points aren't enough to make a difference, I'll probably just work on leveling up my lower level character.

This is totally salvagable as a plain old zombie/spectre minion build if you're interested. The only thing "wrong" with your tree are all the elemental nodes, but you have enough points to refund them, and it turns out most people build summoners this way anyway. You level with a few offensive nodes + the usual HP and/or ES, then spec out of the damage and into more minion nodes once you get to the Solaris Temple in Merciless. With what you have, I think you could slog your way to this point, then respec into a real summoner passive tree.

I'm running a build with 10 zombies and 5 spectres (max from tree + Bones of Ullr boots + Midnight Bargain wand + 5L Vis Mortis) and here is what my tree looks like at 83: https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscr...h731_k3-oD60v5J

I like to run 3 auras and use Curse on Hit with Ball Lightning + Enfeeble + Flammability, since I use Flame Sentinels from Solaris Temple (Eternal Lab). I'm running T8 maps easily and could certainly do higher once they actually drop. Summoner is a lot of fun once you figure out the positioning, directing your minions, and get a set of utility skills you like. Read over the last few pages of the thread for summoner advice - there were some really informative posts on how to do summoner. I usually run the zombie/spectre combo so someone else will have to chime in as to whether this tree is viable for doing an SRS build or something.

edit: here's a link to my profile, should be public https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/PleaseBeCareful/characters

Phayray fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 25, 2016

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Your first character is going to suck. Heck, I followed a guide for my first character and it still sucked because (a) I didn't know how to pick a good beginner-friendly build, but more importantly, (b) my gear was poo poo because I didn't know what stats I should have been looking for, or how to prioritize my stats for my particular build.

Your second character is going to suck, but it will suck a lot less.

Your third will still suck, but it will suck even less.

I still suck, but I've been learning with each character. That to me is the appeal to this game -- learning something new each time. I've been trying different builds to compare the strengths and weaknesses of each, and slowly learning the hows and whys of making builds.

I still hadn't made a character that could clear higher maps, much less kill Atziri. And that's ok, because I'm getting closer each time.

Which is to say, all in due time. You'll get there. But in the meantime, enjoy the ride.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

A Strange Aeon posted:

Thanks for the response--I'm just not an optimal player or whatever, so it's going to take me a while to get a character high enough level to do maps with my friend, if I can't salvage the witch.

I have been following a Lifting Nerd Bro video for one build, but it's only in the teens. It seems like it's really hard to respec into something decent, even with a decent number of respec points and unspent passives.

As for what I want to do with the witch, I don't particularly care. I just want to be able to play with my friend if possible, which means getting through Merciless. I found a Raise Zombie gem early on and thought it sounded cool, so I just built towards all the minion nodes mostly. I primarily use a Frost Pulse spell--it does ~5000 DPS, but I don't know if that's even good for where I'm at in the game--Act 4 Cruel.

this may sound nuts but respecs are really easy now with act 4.

by the time you get to merc you have 24 respec points for free from doing quests. Regret orbs are about 1:1 chaos, but even with that you can get even a completely broken build to something usable with just a handful of regrets.

you are closest to this build
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1623489

(look at the 83 point build tree)

check the skill tree in there for tips on gear, gems, etc. I'd use some respec points to take out frost walker/firewalker, Light of Divinity, and elementalist. Use those points to head down from melding to connect with the nodes near Death Attunement. Once you have connected to those points down there, you can unspec the remaining 3 points (Occultists Dominion, the strength node, and the int node). Also unspec Minion Instability, then you should also have a ton of extra points to put in other stuff.

Karnivool
May 28, 2009
Can i please get a guild invite for MangoChobani

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

Mortimer posted:

this may sound nuts but respecs are really easy now with act 4.

by the time you get to merc you have 24 respec points for free from doing quests. Regret orbs are about 1:1 chaos, but even with that you can get even a completely broken build to something usable with just a handful of regrets.

you are closest to this build
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1623489

(look at the 83 point build tree)

check the skill tree in there for tips on gear, gems, etc. I'd use some respec points to take out frost walker/firewalker, Light of Divinity, and elementalist. Use those points to head down from melding to connect with the nodes near Death Attunement. Once you have connected to those points down there, you can unspec the remaining 3 points (Occultists Dominion, the strength node, and the int node). Also unspec Minion Instability, then you should also have a ton of extra points to put in other stuff.

Not necessarily directed at you, but I see this build takes EE - has anyone shown that this is actually a good idea? It seems OK when you think about applying EE with Ball Lightning, but in my experience I've found non-EE damage to be higher because the spectres cast way faster than I do, and there's 5 of them. They're only doing fire damage, so it's 100% on my Ball Lightning applying EE, which for most packs only goes through once, if my minions don't kill it first. Even if I apply EE once, if it takes more than 1 hit to kill the thing, then all of the subsequent shots by my spectres do reduced damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Karnivool posted:

Can i please get a guild invite for MangoChobani

THERE'S ONLY ONE SPOT LEFT NOW GUYS. THUNDERDOME FOR ENTRY UNITL APRIL 2ND (if sky remembers to log in and purge)

• Locked thread