Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO DAD, I'M AN ADULT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Harvest Hand is probably incredibly mediocre but i love that little guy

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

they need to stop printing this loving card

they could at least have gone with the madness friendly version:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Rinkles posted:

The new delver

This card is coooooool. Put it on my own death triggers, put it on your dumb idiots kill them get a thing.

Use that tap doom blade with this

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Okay, Throttle isn't a *good* card, but that art and flavor text are pretty much the best Throttle we've had.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

sarmhan posted:

Now that's a rare werewolf.

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Hermit of the Natterknolls seems very, very good

Definitely want to try to build RG Collected Werewolves now.

Edit: Oh wait, the hermit hates company.

odiv fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 25, 2016

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Werewolves look much better this time around.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Werewolves look much better this time around.

At first glance, seems like they'll possibly be better due to a lack of cheap flashback spells to prevent them from flipping.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The exciting, vaguely backpedaling conclusion to Angry Maro: http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/141666848858/your-response-to-the-question-about-tamiyo-joining

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

"Please stop sending me messages making fun of my friends' fan fiction, it's mean"

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I won't deny that "Jacetice League" is at least a little bit snide, even if harmlessly so, but Maro wringing his hands saying "Please call them the Gatewatch, guys" has all the ring of Adobe trying to get people to say "Image enhanced with Adobe Photoshop."

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

odiv posted:

Definitely want to try to build RG Collected Werewolves now.

Edit: Oh wait, the hermit hates company.

Same.

This card would've been really bad but really funny if it costed 4.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
To be fair to Maro, maybe he's seen Batman v Superman already.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Kalli posted:

At first glance, seems like they'll possibly be better due to a lack of cheap flashback spells to prevent them from flipping.

Very true, I didn't even consider that. Overall the flipped cards are just stronger in general.

E: but no accidental delver cards I don't think

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

JerryLee posted:

I won't deny that "Jacetice League" is at least a little bit snide, even if harmlessly so, but Maro wringing his hands saying "Please call them the Gatewatch, guys" has all the ring of Adobe trying to get people to say "Image enhanced with Adobe Photoshop."

Eh it reads more like "if you expect actual answers to your questions at least phrase them as something I can believe is actually sincere and making fun of the name isn't the best first step"

Which is like a reasonable stance for a public-facing mouthpiece person like maro IMO.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Even the mediocre vanilla werewolves are mostly better than their inn analogues

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Entropic posted:

I love when they choose numbers purely for flavour on cards like this and Hundred-Handed One.

The flavor in this set is loving incredible. Maybe they'll extend that ability to all Spider creatures in the future and we can get a "spider-sense" keyword.

Also the red alpha werewolf and green hermit werewolf are definitely constructed playable. Way better job of pushing werewolves as a tribe this time around.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Mark Rosewater, who is not to be called Maro, which is not his actual name posted:

For example, if you are referring to the Gatewatch, please call them the Gatewatch. If you’re referring to a character or mechanic or place, please use the actual name.

Please do not make nicknames for anything ever. Dark Confidant's name is not Bob, his name is Dark Confidant, and he has a very rich backstory that my friends worked very hard to weave. Tarmogoyf didn't spend years at Tarmo school to be called "Goyf".

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

The flavor in this set is loving incredible. Maybe they'll extend that ability to all Spider creatures in the future and we can get a "spider-sense" keyword.

Also the red alpha werewolf and green hermit werewolf are definitely constructed playable. Way better job of pushing werewolves as a tribe this time around.

Where's Immerwolf?!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Please do not make nicknames for anything ever. Dark Confidant's name is not Bob, his name is Dark Confidant, and he has a very rich backstory that my friends worked very hard to weave. Tarmogoyf didn't spend years at Tarmo school to be called "Goyf".

Lol good fuckin' luck getting magic players to stop nicknaming poo poo.

Unless getting #gatewatch to be a #brand is a Wizards goal in which case they're hosed by trying to make a superhero team in 2016 have its own #name.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Why even publish questions that aren't respectful then? You're just rewarding the behavior you say you want to discourage.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
it doesn't help that gatewatch is a really stupid name.

I mean at least Avengers of Zendikar would be worth a chuckle.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Lottery of Babylon posted:

He addresses this in a later question, he's fine with nicknames that come from a positive place. Bob and Lili are fine, Card-drawing Douchebag and Witch-Whore aren't

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

The art description for this card:

"Hall of Famer Brian Kibler holds a man against a wall and slides a knife into his chest. The man's face shows surprise and pain, while Kibler wears a look of sadistic joy."

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Terrible Horse posted:

He addresses this in a later question, he's fine with nicknames that come from a positive place. Bob and Lili are fine, Card-drawing Douchebag and Witch-Whore aren't

What makes him think Jacetice League doesn't come from a positive place?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Terrible Horse posted:

what if I associate Bob with cheating in my head because of that one time 18 years ago or w/e he was involved in making up results

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
What if I associate the Gatewatch with a good thing (the Justice League, which rules) and call it the Jacetice League to make it obvious I'm talking about the Magic: The Gathering superhero team as opposed to the DC superhero team?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

sarmhan posted:

I like this little guy. He's always going to be swinging on turn 2, and when the opponent gets two creatures out, or shoots removal at him, you can pop him for a card.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zemyla posted:

I like this little guy. He's always going to be swinging on turn 2, and when the opponent gets two creatures out, or shoots removal at him, you can pop him for a card.

he's the red take on hapless researcher

unlike hapless researcher, I doubt he's going to see legacy play

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

he's the red take on hapless researcher

unlike hapless researcher, I doubt he's going to see legacy play

can't be cast with cephalid colosseum and can't be pitched to force in the relevant decks

:rip:

discard as part of cost is a marginal (but not entire) upside for dredge though, but being castable with 2/3 of the mana sources is still pretty rough

for that modern "dredge" deck though this is pretty sweet.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

mandatory lesbian posted:

I'm guessing Arlinn Cord took that space in this set but Eldritch Moon will hopefully have one

Pretty sure it'll be Ulrich, if anyone.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

By the way, for people who may have been confused about DFC rarity in SoI: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/daily-magic-update/update-2016-03-24

Blake Rasmussen posted:

A NOTE ABOUT DOUBLE-FACED CARDS IN SOI
With the return of double-faced cards in Shadows over Innistrad, it is absolutely possible to replicate that thrill again. A normal pack will contain a common or uncommon double-faced card, which is already pretty cool. Approximately one in every eight packs will also contain a rare or mythic double-faced card in addition to a normal rare or mythic rare (the rare or mythic rare double-faced card will replace a common). These packs will have two double-faced cards, the common/uncommon and the rare/mythic rare.

And that's before we even start considering foils.

So, to recap: one out of every eight packs might contain two rares and/or mythic rares, one of which will be double-faced. And, if you're super-duper fortunate, it might even contain a foil. That's a thing that is possible. In the real world.

Get cracking when Prereleases start next week on April 2, and the full set releases on April 8.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

sarmhan posted:

I want to draft mono this + Skin Invasion.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

For example, if you are referring to the Gatewatch, please call them the Gatewatch. If you’re referring to a character or mechanic or place, please use the actual name.

This reads like a Trick Jarrett post.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
So we're all committed to calling them the Jacetice league from now on, right?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Of course.

Pretend I made an image of Maro with mini Maro saying "never nickname me or my son again."

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Jacetice League feels a little forced, I think Avengers of Zedikar is the superior comedy option

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lets Pickle posted:

The art description for this card:

"Hall of Famer Brian Kibler holds a man against a wall and slides a knife into his chest. The man's face shows surprise and pain, while Kibler wears a look of sadistic joy."

:stare: Go on....

Froghammer posted:

So we're all committed to calling them the Jacetice league from now on, right?
Absolutely. A planes walker deck will come out with that name on it and star city will be right there to make sure we call it "four color midrange control." :|

e: \/ \/ \/ Yesssss. Please make an episodic blurb about their dumb adventures based on the weekly lore column.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 25, 2016

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Where'd that drat image go?
Claimed this already just in case.
http://thejaceticeleague.tumblr.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mcmagic posted:

I don't think there is a good sac outlet to play this with... Bleh.
Husk is still around post-rotation. Or there's the delirium fallen angel. Those are just off the top of my head.

• Locked thread