Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Siljmonster posted:

Differences between Skype and Skype for Business.

1: ????

Skype is Skype and Skype for business is lync

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
And Lync is HipChat that no one uses right?

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

that's probably an unfair comparison for hipchat

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i just learned about tay and its the funniest thing ive seen in my life

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/admiral_baby/status/713027595189682176

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Phoenixan posted:

"we will teach this bot to speak like millenials"

(outputs racist garbage)

"whoa haha"

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Shaggar posted:

Skype is Skype and Skype for business is lync

lol if you don't know there's 2 apps called skype for business

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Stack Overflow survey suggests dev interest in Windows Phone is crashing, but what does it mean for Windows 10?

quote:

A few days ago, Stack Overflow posted the results of their 2016 Developer Survey that had 50,000 responses from 173 countries. The results are always interesting for all categories, but at least for Windows Phone things are nosediving.

quote:

Some of the highlights from their write-up are sobering:

0.1% of respondents consider themselves Windows Phone Mobile Developers (only 59 respondents)
By gender, 0.0% Windows Phone developers are female
Under 'Trending Tech' on Stack Flow Windows Phone dropped 65.2% (iOS +3.1%, Android +2%)
By next year's survey, fewer than 50% of developers may be using Windows (26.2% are on Mac OS X)
Mobile Developers, who know the iOS ecosystem, seem to earn about $10,000 more on average than Android Developers

Of course, this being reported on a Windows site we have to have this

quote:

Still, we have heard from some sources that general interest in UWP, so far, is lower than what Microsoft would like. Perhaps once Xbox and HoloLens are lit up as developer options this summer that will begin to change. For now, all the momentum is still with iOS and Android.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol people actually use notepad++
https://stackoverflow.com/research/developer-survey-2016#technology-development-environments

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

you can go into the power options and tell it to disable wake timers or try this in a powershell window [System.Windows.Forms.Application]::SetSuspendState([System.Windows.Forms.PowerState]::Suspend, $true, $true);

i checked through the UI and it looks like this was already set like this

I mean as soon as I close the lid, wait a minute, a message comes in, and it definetely beeps

its set to sleep on lid close. ive tried manually selecting sleep too

theultimo posted:

unplug ANY device attached

make sure power on lan and power on when power options change are disabled

stop Windows update from hijacking your PC when asleep

disable cortana - it wakes when it thinks hey cortana is said

nothing plugged in

:shrug:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i use it when i need to use regex to parse log files and poo poo

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

It works good in a pinch.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Yes, why not use some dog-slow web-tech Electron abomination instead?!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

"The average developer uses between 2 and 3 of these development environments."

so they use it among other tools.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

Yes, why not use some dog-slow web-tech Electron abomination instead?!

use sublime if you're on windows and that bothers you

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Wheany posted:

"The average developer uses between 2 and 3 of these development environments."

so they use it among other tools.

notepad++ vim and emacs aren't even ides.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
it's v. good for editing conf files or taking notes. and i also record macros with it when i need to do same edits repeatedly.

oh and when i need to look for multiple things in a log file for example, using the "style token" context menu thing is very handy

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Shaggar posted:

nope.

and i hope people just answered that like "yes, i use this software"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://github.com/notepad-plus-plu...cpp#L5582-L5806

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

akadajet posted:

use sublime if you're on windows and that bothers you

70 United States Dollars text editor

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

chestnut santabag posted:

not if you have a real job that will let you expense it

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
use emacs

studies show that even people who are life long vim users who feel less productive in emacs were actually more productive than they ever were in vim

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

you think a windows user is going to use emacs?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i use notepad++ for one workflow, and one workflow only, and that is commiting reference changes in .vbp files.

the vb6 ide has a bad habit of vacuuming up whatever random version numbers of references are on your local machine, which aren't always the versions of poo poo thats in the repo, so a typical workflow is to copy the freshly branched vbp somewhere, make your changes in the copied vbp, then open it and the original in notepad++ and only copy over the references you intend to commit to the original. since notepad++ has vb syntax highlighting it just makes the process a little easier than using regular notepad.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

I was about to call you out on this, but weren't you saying you work at epic in the tech bubble thread? If so it makes sense and you have my goondolances.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

TerminalRaptor posted:

I was about to call you out on this, but weren't you saying you work at epic in the tech bubble thread? If so it makes sense and you have my goondolances.

ya. one day we will hypothetically be fully converted to C#, but holy god does it take a long time to convert a 15-year-old codebase the size of ours to a new platform.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

vb6 in 2016 sounds like a great way to stall your career

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

ya. one day we will hypothetically be fully converted to C#, but holy god does it take a long time to convert a 15-year-old codebase the size of ours to a new platform.

i hope you get paid handsomely

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
wtf does epic use vb6 for? can you even use directx/ogl with vb6?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Universal 'Ealthcare 4 is written entirely in VB6.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Beeftweeter posted:

One of the largest medical data systems that holds roughly half of the nation's medical records is mostly based on vb6. The scary part is that this is preferable to the competitors offerings.

LeftistMuslimObama, I'm amazed you are moving off of it. I thought you would be on that until the heat death of the universe. It also means a bunch of our active x integrations with you need to be rewritten :getin:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
oh that epic

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

best reason to use 'em

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

chestnut santabag posted:

*hits cancel when it asks to purchase*

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Siljmonster posted:

*hits cancel when it asks to purchase*

five figgy fucktard thinking right here

not being interrupted is worth much much more than $70 to anyone getting paid to computer

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
As many of you know by now, on Wednesday we launched a chatbot called Tay. We are deeply sorry for the unintended offensive and hurtful tweets from Tay, which do not represent who we are or what we stand for, nor how we designed Tay. Tay is now offline and we’ll look to bring Tay back only when we are confident we can better anticipate malicious intent that conflicts with our principles and values.

I want to share what we learned and how we’re taking these lessons forward.

For context, Tay was not the first artificial intelligence application we released into the online social world. In China, our XiaoIce chatbot is being used by some 40 million people, delighting with its stories and conversations. The great experience with XiaoIce led us to wonder: Would an AI like this be just as captivating in a radically different cultural environment? Tay – a chatbot created for 18- to 24- year-olds in the U.S. for entertainment purposes – is our first attempt to answer this question.

As we developed Tay, we planned and implemented a lot of filtering and conducted extensive user studies with diverse user groups. We stress-tested Tay under a variety of conditions, specifically to make interacting with Tay a positive experience. Once we got comfortable with how Tay was interacting with users, we wanted to invite a broader group of people to engage with her. It’s through increased interaction where we expected to learn more and for the AI to get better and better.

The logical place for us to engage with a massive group of users was Twitter. Unfortunately, in the first 24 hours of coming online, a coordinated attack by a subset of people exploited a vulnerability in Tay. Although we had prepared for many types of abuses of the system, we had made a critical oversight for this specific attack. As a result, Tay tweeted wildly inappropriate and reprehensible words and images. We take full responsibility for not seeing this possibility ahead of time. We will take this lesson forward as well as those from our experiences in China, Japan and the U.S. Right now, we are hard at work addressing the specific vulnerability that was exposed by the attack on Tay.

Looking ahead, we face some difficult – and yet exciting – research challenges in AI design. AI systems feed off of both positive and negative interactions with people. In that sense, the challenges are just as much social as they are technical. We will do everything possible to limit technical exploits but also know we cannot fully predict all possible human interactive misuses without learning from mistakes. To do AI right, one needs to iterate with many people and often in public forums. We must enter each one with great caution and ultimately learn and improve, step by step, and to do this without offending people in the process. We will remain steadfast in our efforts to learn from this and other experiences as we work toward contributing to an Internet that represents the best, not the worst, of humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Beeftweeter posted:

Yeah, everything is directx. We use it because our original client used it 15 years ago and transitioning enterprise poo poo is hard. We're doing our best though!

• Locked thread