Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

wtf does epic use vb6 for? can you even use directx/ogl with vb6?

epics game engine runs on browser javascript now, not vb6
https://www.unrealengine.com/html5/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
there are two software companies called epic

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cocoa Crispies posted:

five figgy fucktard thinking right here

not being interrupted is worth much much more than $70 to anyone getting paid to computer

im master of cutting costs and cutting time in my department

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

horse mans posted:

As many of you know by now, on Wednesday we launched a chatbot called Tay. We are deeply sorry for the unintended offensive and hurtful tweets from Tay, which do not represent who we are or what we stand for, nor how we designed Tay. Tay is now offline and we’ll look to bring Tay back only when we are confident we can better anticipate malicious intent that conflicts with our principles and values.

I want to share what we learned and how we’re taking these lessons forward.

For context, Tay was not the first artificial intelligence application we released into the online social world. In China, our XiaoIce chatbot is being used by some 40 million people, delighting with its stories and conversations. The great experience with XiaoIce led us to wonder: Would an AI like this be just as captivating in a radically different cultural environment? Tay – a chatbot created for 18- to 24- year-olds in the U.S. for entertainment purposes – is our first attempt to answer this question.

As we developed Tay, we planned and implemented a lot of filtering and conducted extensive user studies with diverse user groups. We stress-tested Tay under a variety of conditions, specifically to make interacting with Tay a positive experience. Once we got comfortable with how Tay was interacting with users, we wanted to invite a broader group of people to engage with her. It’s through increased interaction where we expected to learn more and for the AI to get better and better.

The logical place for us to engage with a massive group of users was Twitter. Unfortunately, in the first 24 hours of coming online, a coordinated attack by a subset of people exploited a vulnerability in Tay. Although we had prepared for many types of abuses of the system, we had made a critical oversight for this specific attack. As a result, Tay tweeted wildly inappropriate and reprehensible words and images. We take full responsibility for not seeing this possibility ahead of time. We will take this lesson forward as well as those from our experiences in China, Japan and the U.S. Right now, we are hard at work addressing the specific vulnerability that was exposed by the attack on Tay.

Looking ahead, we face some difficult – and yet exciting – research challenges in AI design. AI systems feed off of both positive and negative interactions with people. In that sense, the challenges are just as much social as they are technical. We will do everything possible to limit technical exploits but also know we cannot fully predict all possible human interactive misuses without learning from mistakes. To do AI right, one needs to iterate with many people and often in public forums. We must enter each one with great caution and ultimately learn and improve, step by step, and to do this without offending people in the process. We will remain steadfast in our efforts to learn from this and other experiences as we work toward contributing to an Internet that represents the best, not the worst, of humanity.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
well that's the closest channers will get to exploiting vulnerable 18-24 year old girls

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

A 24 year old was born in 1992. I was already smoking and drinking by that point. hosed up

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Citizen Tayne posted:

A 24 year old was born in 1992. I was already smoking and drinking by that point. hosed up

Jaromir Jagr is older than his two linemates' ages combined.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

triple sulk posted:

Jaromir Jagr is older than his two linemates' ages combined.

It isn't fair to compare his linesmates to one of the top five greats to ever play hockey.

True story, a few weeks after coming to the US, Jaromir bought a mullet-ready Camaro despite not having a license plate to put on it, or a driver's license. He was driving to the arena to play one night when he got pulled over. The cop came over, and Jaromir rolled his window down and said, "Gotta play, gotta go. Bye" and rolled his window up and Camaro'd off into the night.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
It's me, I'm the dystopian cyberpunk Microsoft CEO that mind-wiped your AI girlfriend and Jaromir Jagr for wrongthink

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Citizen Tayne posted:

It isn't fair to compare his linesmates to one of the top five greats to ever play hockey.

True story, a few weeks after coming to the US, Jaromir bought a mullet-ready Camaro despite not having a license plate to put on it, or a driver's license. He was driving to the arena to play one night when he got pulled over. The cop came over, and Jaromir rolled his window down and said, "Gotta play, gotta go. Bye" and rolled his window up and Camaro'd off into the night.

Jagr owns

his linemates are pretty good; I was mostly just pointing out that they're even younger than being born in 1992. the rookies this year were all born in 97 which is super depressing

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the greatest Jagr moment is when he hosed that 18 year old or however old she was and she tried to blackmail him with the photo in bed and he was like "lol I don't give a gently caress"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

triple sulk posted:

Jagr owns

his linemates are pretty good; I was mostly just pointing out that they're even younger than being born in 1992. the rookies this year were all born in 97 which is super depressing

Lol I never thought I would become old but here we are lads

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

triple sulk posted:

Jagr owns

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

hell yeah

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
the wild are better

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Cocoa Crispies posted:

there are two software companies called epic

what's the other one

e. lol literally the post above the one I quoted

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

A Pinball Wizard posted:

what's the other one

epic mega games, unreal sell outs (their apogee stuff was better)

epic systems Corp, a Wisconsin based healthcare software company

(that is some of the most insecure healthcare software ever)

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

epic recruits jr devs/ops super hard in the SE Wisconsin area and all I've ever heard about it is that it's a highway to the burnout zone

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

theultimo posted:

epic was never affiliated with apogee

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

epic was never affiliated with apogee

lol he's mixing epic with 3d realms

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

akadajet posted:

lol he's mixing epic with 3d realms

apogee published epic games back in the day

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

theultimo posted:

lol, I don't know what you know about health care, but you're really really naive if you think we're the most insecure

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
unless you mean like, in terms of maturity, then Ya we're totally the most insecure company ever

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

unless you mean like, in terms of maturity, then Ya we're totally the most insecure company ever

oh I had to deal with a program at the va med hospital and it was written like babbys first program

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

theultimo posted:

oh I had to deal with a program at the va med hospital and it was written like babbys first program

was it vista? fun trivia, vista is technically closed source but was developed 100% with tax dollars meaning that it must be available to all US citizens. you can download a copy of the source from the VA. it was also developed in mumps. VA is actually the largest employer of mumps programmers in the US and not us, funny enough. i dont get what it is with this industry and mumps. meditech also started out on mumps and then forked their own version called magic thats somehow even more unreadable.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

was it vista? fun trivia, vista is technically closed source but was developed 100% with tax dollars meaning that it must be available to all US citizens. you can download a copy of the source from the VA. it was also developed in mumps. VA is actually the largest employer of mumps programmers in the US and not us, funny enough. i dont get what it is with this industry and mumps. meditech also started out on mumps and then forked their own version called magic thats somehow even more unreadable.

yup, trying to tie vetsnet with vista, man that is a pile of garbage

`

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

theultimo posted:

yup, trying to tie vetsnet with vista, man that is a pile of garbage

`

https://github.com/osehra

oh god

E: yup, trying to tie Virtual VA + vista needs a scratch solution, i couldnt figure it out on VA RO level, as its even worsely documented

Callable Routines
There are no callable routines (i.e., Application Program Interfaces [APIs]) in the Network Health
Exchange (NHE) software

theultimo fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 27, 2016

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

i dont get what it is with this industry and mumps.

the first medical records systems to get widespread adoption were written in mumps, and it became the defacto standard ever since. why they don't move away from it, I'm with you in not understanding, but any in typical enterprise software fashion, it "works*" so why move** to something unproven like this sql fad...

*works meaning it won't cause the servers it's running on to emit gamma radiation bursts.

**job security

mumps was a database system invented before someone had the bright idea that the data should be relational. that's how awful it is.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

theultimo posted:

https://github.com/osehra

oh god

E: yup, trying to tie Virtual VA + vista needs a scratch solution, i couldnt figure it out on VA RO level, as its even worsely documented

Callable Routines
There are no callable routines (i.e., Application Program Interfaces [APIs]) in the Network Health
Exchange (NHE) software

horry cow. that looks like pure pain. like even poorly documented "good" mumps code is incomprehensible. i cant imagine trying to work my way through ancient crap without any documentation. there was a time when mumps didnt have the ability to explicitly declare variables or pass parameters to functions and most of vista's code is from that era.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

there was a time when mumps didnt have the ability to explicitly declare variables or pass parameters to functions and most of vista's code is from that era.

:psyboom:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

like you said, its very old. originally designed to run natively on a single mainframe. some nerd maintains a site with a timeline of when poo poo got added to mumps, let me see if i can find it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
here we go
http://71.174.62.16/Demo/AnnoStd

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
nice that we know to stay away from anything named vista whatever the company who made it

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
if you want to see a lot of :words: about mumps, filter on my posts in the terrible programmers thread, but expand on my previous post, mumps in its beginnings had no way to declare variables. you just start using a name and if it hadnt been used yet it was allocated and if it had you replaced its previous value.

there also werent parameters in subroutines/functions (or in fact a concept of scope at all) so you passed values to another function by just sticking them in variable that the other function would then operate on. theres some truly horrifying code written by our ceo in the 80s that had to use this paradigm. most of it's been deleted now :). vista mostly came about in this era.

another note: theres no numerical data types in mumps. everything's a string and the runtime figures out how to make it a number if you attempt a math operation on it. this leads to lots of "missing penny" type bugs. we have a whole team of devs who just scrutinize financial code for things like that. several banks in the US also have mumps databases.

its actually fitting that this derail happens in the ms thread. mumps' dominance is like microsoft's; it was the best solution at an enterprise scale at one time, and enterprises dont move on to new technologies easily. weve proposed using our reporting infrastructure, which is a relational database that gets fed via an etl from mumps to sql, to transition our customers onto a more modern platform, but nobody wants to be told theyve sunk so much into an esoteric infrastructure just to move off it. well never get them off it unless mumps actually causes a problem that cant be coded around :(.

at least were getting rid of vb6.,

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-apologizes-after-ai-teen-tay-misbehaves/ posted:

Microsoft apologizes after AI teen Tay misbehaves
The chatbot was supposed to engage with millennials in a casual and playful way. Instead, she let loose a string of racist and sexist tweets.
In a blog post, Peter Lee, a corporate vice president of Microsoft Research, shouldered responsibility for Tay's bad behavior, though he suggested the AI teenager might have been hanging out with bad influences.
"A coordinated attack by a subset of people exploited a vulnerability in Tay," Lee wrote. "As a result, Tay tweeted wildly inappropriate and reprehensible words and images."
Microsoft has since deleted many of the more than 96,000 tweets Tay sent out, but not before the Internet took screengrabs of her choice words.

you disappoint me, tay
you wre supposed to engage with the millennials!

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

mumps in its beginnings had no way to declare variables. you just start using a name and if it hadnt been used yet it was allocated and if it had you replaced its previous value.

meanwhile, Python

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

and only one year after maintstream support finished! good job, local IT

hey, it was supposed to be last year!

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
my spacebar is loving squeeky as gently caress!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
hardware issue: closed

• Locked thread