Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Rand Brittain posted:

What really bugs me is adding the portraits without doing anything to make them match the sprites in any way. Faris's portrait and her sprite don't even have the same hair color.

Also the font is awful.

It's unusual with FFV, because for the GBA they changed Bartz's portrait hair colour to match the sprite (Amano always draws him blonde), and then changed it back for the iOS.

Also purple Faris and Lenna because why not.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
No no kuni is bad right

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

No no kuni is bad right

I liked it

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Pesky Splinter posted:

(Amano always draws him blonde)

Amano draws everyone blonde. The vast majority of his male FF protagonist designs are "David Bowie dressed like a gypsy thrift store exploded all over him."

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I've been reading lots of hate for FF3 DS. I have it for vita which I believe is the PSP port. Is this Version any good? I have FF 1-X2 on vita and having just gotten a vita tv plan to play through the entire series.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

W.T. Fits posted:

"David Bowie dressed like a gypsy thrift store exploded all over him."

gently caress you i love cape and sash hobo chic

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

I've been reading lots of hate for FF3 DS. I have it for vita which I believe is the PSP port. Is this Version any good?

It's the same as the DS version. Everything that isn't the original Japanese Famicom release from 1990 is the remake, which is bad.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

ApplesandOranges posted:

The autosave didn't exist in the DS version, it's something they added for the iOS port.

So now imagine that 2-hour final dungeon without any save points.

I recently played it for the first time - did the 2 hour dungeon and got to the final boss, without realizing he's impossible unless you beat the other side-bosses along the side-paths. There goes 2 hours of my life.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

No no kuni is bad right

I wanted to love it SO BAD but unfortunately it wouldn't let me :-(

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

I've been reading lots of hate for FF3 DS. I have it for vita which I believe is the PSP port. Is this Version any good? I have FF 1-X2 on vita and having just gotten a vita tv plan to play through the entire series.

It is slightly better but still poo poo.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

No no kuni is bad right

yeah

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

No no kuni is bad right

its ok but gets worse the further you get.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

im playing ff13-2 instead

why does this retcon everything from 13-1 that is so stupid

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

baram. posted:

its ok but gets worse the further you get.
Basically this. World is charming as hell, but the bad AI and awful monster capturing system don't get any better and the story keeps hitting really obvious beats after a while.

If you do want to keep playing it I recommend two of those dinosaurs from above the desert cliffs once you get flying and also one of those really defendy shield dudes I forget the location of, and then just use them forever to steamroll the actual game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It only really retcons the ending.

And while that pissed me off too, you forget about it after a while.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Please don't use a Scholar, they're really bad and are only good for one gimmick dungeon (and even then, not very good).

Geomancer is way better than Scholar even with the RNG element to their attacks.

A Level 11 Geomancer wrecked the Castle Hein dungeon and Hein boss fight with minimal support from the rest of the party. The whole "he switches weaknesses" thing never even came into play.

Seems a bit OP.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

None of the XIII games follow each other at all. The only thing they share in common are the art assets they reuse

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

It's not really a retcon to have past events change in a time travel game

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Tempo 119 posted:

it is because all that poo poo they did was for nothing

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

How do you figure

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tempo 119 posted:

Good time travel is internally consistent. Parallel universe time travel is lazy!!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Oh no the poo poo they did for nothing was for nothing.

The 13 plots feel better in relief of LR because it turns out you are the antagonists maintaining the status quo before fixing everything in LR. The fal'Cie conspiracy to spill the milk in protest is good as a burn on the gods but puts humans on the train tracks as a sacrifice, but then Caius has it right from the start in 13-2 and you oppose him at every turn as a toady of the gods.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

The only thing that unhappened from the previous game is Lightning making it home, it would be a retcon if Serah didn't remember but even then it would be pretty minor

In Training posted:

Good time travel is internally consistent. Parallel universe time travel is lazy!!

13-2 doesn't use parallel universes except as a gameplay convenience, canonically once you open up an "X" version of a location that's how it is from now on

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

well it's dumb mostly because it means lightning is stuck in "not in this game really" world even though she is on the box, and in the logo, and also the title screen, and

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

its like if the cover of ff12 was just a drawing of larsa

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You have to buy DLC to even see lightning outside of the into CGI. Complete bullcrap

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

When I booted up XIII-2 for the first time and saw that completely sick cutscene f Caius and Lightning battling it out on the edge of eternity, I was excited. And then I was stuck with Serah for 40 hours :/

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

You know the whole "giant butt ugly render of the main character on the front of the box" thing is just american publishers being poo poo right, it's not actually required

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tempo 119 posted:

You know the whole "giant butt ugly render of the main character on the front of the box" thing is just american publishers being poo poo right, it's not actually required

As noted, Lightning is also on the cover of the Japanese version. In fact, I did research on this
Of all the official covers of XIII-2 in the world, a grand total of one of them has Serah on it and absolutely none have Noel.

As for the end of XIII retcon, the retcon is Etro saving everyone. In the original, they just saved themselves. But now, a goddess saved them because she's the worst deity ever. Etro is kind of like Lucrecia in Dirge of Cerberus in that the narrative wants you to feel sorry for her but all her actions just make you hate her.

Anyway, the whole "Fighting Fate" idea goes out the window when the gods you are opposing only lost because bigger gods intervened on your behalf.

But then Caius got it right.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

13-2 PC annoys me because the DLC is locked behind beating the game. Lightning's DLC, cool, that's an improvement. The coliseum and chronobind, which are advertised early in the course of the plot? gently caress off I'd rather do that than the jumping puzzles in the final dungeon.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Tempo 119 posted:

Did you just call lightning ugly

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

As noted, Lightning is also on the cover of the Japanese version. In fact, I did research on this
Of all the official covers of XIII-2 in the world, a grand total of one of them has Serah on it and absolutely none have Noel.

As for the end of XIII retcon, the retcon is Etro saving everyone. In the original, they just saved themselves. But now, a goddess saved them because she's the worst deity ever. Etro is kind of like Lucrecia in Dirge of Cerberus in that the narrative wants you to feel sorry for her but all her actions just make you hate her.

Anyway, the whole "Fighting Fate" idea goes out the window when the gods you are opposing only lost because bigger gods intervened on your behalf.

But then Caius got it right.

But... Etro was always there?? And I don't remember any time where she was portrayed either positively or negatively

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

Did you just call lightning ugly

No because 13-2 doesn't follow that convention

Edit: although 13 and LR both do, and they both look kind of bad (despite the subject matter of course)

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 26, 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tempo 119 posted:

But... Etro was always there?? And I don't remember any time where she was portrayed either positively or negatively

Etro being the one who turned them all back from Cie'th is a XIII-2 invention so far as I know.

And given that XIII-2 is all about saving Etro's life, and Lightning is her champion, and Noel pretty much worships her, I got the distinct feeling we're supposed to like Etro.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

No no kuni is bad right

It's very cute and not terribly difficult and if you don't get caught up in the postgame or trying to get all the sidequests then you won't have to do much in the way of grinding. There's a lot of content there, and I think the sequel is going to fix a lot of the issues that this game has. As it stands, if you like Studio Ghibli stuff and have patience for some cumbersome RPG mechanics at times, it's a good time and a great time sink.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Tempo 119 posted:

lightning is literally on every cover, because she's in the game's nomura-drawn logo that they plastered over everything

e: sure looks like a game that will feature lightning for like five minutes of gameplay

not pictured: the protagonists

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 26, 2016

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Etro being the one who turned them all back from Cie'th is a XIII-2 invention so far as I know.

And given that XIII-2 is all about saving Etro's life, and Lightning is her champion, and Noel pretty much worships her, I got the distinct feeling we're supposed to like Etro.

Nah Etro is what the whole "important plot details hidden in the datalog" complaint is about. The ending is supposed to be ~mysterious~ so you'll go piece together what happened and talk about it in the playground and so on, but most people just went "ok fine, they shrugged it off, makes about as much sense as everything else".

And I mean, people serve and worship her because she's a goddess and she's important (we see how hosed everything is when she dies), but it never seemed to me like we were supposed to regard her as an actual character and feel sorry for her or anything. Maybe that's just me though!

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 26, 2016

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

lightning is literally on every cover, because she's in the game's nomura-drawn logo that they plastered over everything

e: sure looks like a game that will feature lightning for like five minutes of gameplay

not pictured: the protagonists

Yes I know Lightning's on the cover, I never said she wasn't

She may not be very visible in the game but she's always the objective you're working towards. If it was Sazh on there or something I'd be confused but Lightning is a totally valid choice to represent the game (as is Caius) unless you subscribe to the idea that the only acceptable cover art character is the one you control (edit: as american marketers have been notorious for doing, which is what I was originally referring to)

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 26, 2016

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

W.T. Fits posted:

Amano draws everyone blonde. The vast majority of his male FF protagonist designs are "David Bowie dressed like a gypsy thrift store exploded all over him."

Bullshit, everyone recognizes my Bartz avatar just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

Bullshit, everyone recognizes my Bartz avatar just fine.

wait that's not sabin?