Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Keyboard support isn't so bad after 9.2 in my experience, and Nintype is still the best 3rd party keyboard, hands down.

I don't know how the CityMapper widget works, but it'll really depend on how it uses your GPS - filled GPS icon means a pretty sizable drain, empty icon means less but still really noticeable in my experience, so you'll probably need to test-drive it yourself. If you're using it to locate nearby bus stops and their arrival times, I'd suggest checking out Transit if it supports your city - its widget doesn't start using your GPS until you pull down the Notification Center.

I use Inbox personally because it suits my needs, but some people here like Spark and Outlook.

My biggest peeve is when a password box pops up for wifi and 3rd party keyboards just won't function.

City mapper widget is just a button that takes you to the app so that's a miss.

Question about Inbox. With the swipe to send to Done function, where does this e-mail go (if anywhere) on standard Gmail? I would change it to swipe to send to Bin but the swipe is a bit sensitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It goes to All Mail

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Dugong posted:

My biggest peeve is when a password box pops up for wifi and 3rd party keyboards just won't function.
3rd party keyboards can't be used for password entry because there's no way to guarantee that they won't jack your data.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I've upgraded Infuse once but it's asking for another upgrade to play AC3 encoded files.

Are there any free alternatives to Infuse that will play them?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My wife has trouble sleeping at night without background noise so she usually has her iPad plugged in streaming videos from our NAS via Airplayer but lately it's refusing to play nicely with some formats and crashing the iPad in the middle of the night.

Is there a decent alternative for local streaming? We've tried VLC but she didn't get on with that, and I even borrowed a friend's Macbook to fudge Kodi onto it since that's what she's used to on the main TV in the house but that didn't have an easy way to just set up a folder to loop forever so that was a no go either.

Must have:

Local network streaming from a NAS device. I considered setting up a Plex server but I don't want to have a computer on 24/7 just for that poo poo when I can get by without it, so whatever it is needs to be happy without any special server software installed on another device.

Easy way to just hit play and have it run that folder over and over. Airplayer has a little "repeat" button like a music player usually would so she just leaves that as default and hits play wherever she feels like starting in that folder. Anything that needs digging into a menu every time she wants to get it going is going to be a bust.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So, Carousel (the Dropbox photo storage app) is closing down, what's the next best thing to use? I generally use it to save all my pictures, with specific folders. Ideally, the app would be free, upload photos automatically (when on wifi) in the background and have lots of storage space. What's the best to use, any ideas? Cheers.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

So, Carousel (the Dropbox photo storage app) is closing down, what's the next best thing to use? I generally use it to save all my pictures, with specific folders. Ideally, the app would be free, upload photos automatically (when on wifi) in the background and have lots of storage space. What's the best to use, any ideas? Cheers.

Check out Google Photos, it does unlimited uploads from phones essentially.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Check out Google Photos, it does unlimited uploads from phones essentially.

Yeah, Google photos is awesome. The search feature is also amazing. I took a photo this summer I wanted to use, and I couldn't remember the date but it's black and white and has an umbrella. I searched for "black and white umbrella" and it turned up right away.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Great, thanks

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

My wife has trouble sleeping at night without background noise so she usually has her iPad plugged in streaming videos from our NAS via Airplayer but lately it's refusing to play nicely with some formats and crashing the iPad in the middle of the night.

Is there a decent alternative for local streaming? We've tried VLC but she didn't get on with that, and I even borrowed a friend's Macbook to fudge Kodi onto it since that's what she's used to on the main TV in the house but that didn't have an easy way to just set up a folder to loop forever so that was a no go either.

Must have:

Local network streaming from a NAS device. I considered setting up a Plex server but I don't want to have a computer on 24/7 just for that poo poo when I can get by without it, so whatever it is needs to be happy without any special server software installed on another device.

Easy way to just hit play and have it run that folder over and over. Airplayer has a little "repeat" button like a music player usually would so she just leaves that as default and hits play wherever she feels like starting in that folder. Anything that needs digging into a menu every time she wants to get it going is going to be a bust.

plex works wonders for this exact scenario

yeah you need to run a pc for it to work but its gonna be the best and cheapest option

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Are there any apps that will stream from Apple Music, other than the builtin Music.app? I know there are a few that will play music already on a device, but I'm looking for something for streaming.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Is there a good app for opening/editing Open Document formatted docs? I don't have an O365 account so Word seems right out.

Likewise, is OneNote pretty good for taking handwritten notes? I'm hoping for something that'll capture handwriting and convert it to text if I'm not too crappy at writing, but that's not a dealbreaker. I gather Penultimate is pretty worthless for accessing the documents on another computer, and I'd like to be able to convert my notes for use on my laptop once I'm done with each meeting.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Mortanis posted:

Likewise, is OneNote pretty good for taking handwritten notes? I'm hoping for something that'll capture handwriting and convert it to text if I'm not too crappy at writing, but that's not a dealbreaker. I gather Penultimate is pretty worthless for accessing the documents on another computer, and I'd like to be able to convert my notes for use on my laptop once I'm done with each meeting.

Yes - but I take mine via my surface.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mortanis posted:

Is there a good app for opening/editing Open Document formatted docs? I don't have an O365 account so Word seems right out.

Penultimate is fine, it syncs with Evernote which has a desktop client and OCRs and indexes your chicken scratches.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
what's the hot ios adblocker people use nowadays

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

dragon enthusiast posted:

what's the hot ios adblocker people use nowadays

1blocker. First, best.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah 1blocker suits my needs pretty well.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I like Wipr, but that's because it's what I'm using on my MacBook too.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Confirming the 1blocker love.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Blockr

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
I was getting youtube ads on 1blocker. Am I doing something wrong?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

nervana posted:

I was getting youtube ads on 1blocker. Am I doing something wrong?

In the app, or on the website?

iOS ad blockers only block ads in Safari.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Hey you can get Day One 2 (the journalling app) for free through the Apple Store App (not the App Store). details

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

bobfather posted:

In the app, or on the website?

iOS ad blockers only block ads in Safari.

Ah okay. :smith:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

dik-dik posted:

Hey you can get Day One 2 (the journalling app) for free through the Apple Store App (not the App Store). details

This is great, I use the original day one but didn't feel like I really needed to pay for the new features, but hey for free definitely! Thanks!

I always forget to check the apple store app for the freebies..

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

One thing that sucks about the new one is you have to use their sync servers. You can't use iCloud or Dropbox like the last version. I've had the upgrade for awhile and I still use the original.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

Haggins posted:

One thing that sucks about the new one is you have to use their sync servers. You can't use iCloud or Dropbox like the last version. I've had the upgrade for awhile and I still use the original.

I think the reason for that is that they're going to offer a subscription service soon. They mentioned on Twitter that full resolution photos might be a subscription option further down the road.

The new Day One does have IFTTT integration though which is pretty cool.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Haggins posted:

Yeah, I've since stopped using Day One. They've inexplicably removed iCloud sync, and they aren't safeguarding your data with encryption on their servers, so I'm done.

I'm just going to consolidate everything in Evernote from now on I think. For what I used Day One for, it will work well enough. And even though Evernote doesn't use iCloud, at least I know my poo poo is encrypted on their servers. Plus, more platforms are supported with Evernote.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pfft, Evernote will be gone by 2018 tops

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

dik-dik posted:

This only works for the iOS one, right? Not for the desktop OSX app?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

bartlebyshop posted:

This only works for the iOS one, right? Not for the desktop OSX app?

correct

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Vanellope posted:

I think the reason for that is that they're going to offer a subscription service soon. They mentioned on Twitter that full resolution photos might be a subscription option further down the road.

The new Day One does have IFTTT integration though which is pretty cool.

Wow. I thought even their 50% off promotion was too expensive on the Mac and now they want to add a subscription on top?

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I'm after an iOS app for geofencing that when triggered will either send an email or possibly create/touch a file on something like dropbox or google drive.

What I'm really trying to do is use geofencing with home automation, but all the iOS apps expect the home automation system to be visible on the internet and then they make a http call to it when triggered. I'm not going to make my home automation public facing so I've played with OpenVPN as a workaround to make this more secure but the VPN isn't active when the iphone screen is off so its not a workable option.

If the iphone would send an email or touch a file then I could monitor that on the server side and trigger events as needed.

I've seen one Android app 'EgiGeoZone Geofence' that can send an email but I've drawn a blank for iOS.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Baconroll posted:

I'm after an iOS app for geofencing that when triggered will either send an email or possibly create/touch a file on something like dropbox or google drive.

What I'm really trying to do is use geofencing with home automation, but all the iOS apps expect the home automation system to be visible on the internet and then they make a http call to it when triggered. I'm not going to make my home automation public facing so I've played with OpenVPN as a workaround to make this more secure but the VPN isn't active when the iphone screen is off so its not a workable option.

If the iphone would send an email or touch a file then I could monitor that on the server side and trigger events as needed.

I've seen one Android app 'EgiGeoZone Geofence' that can send an email but I've drawn a blank for iOS.

I use IFTTT for this. You can make a recipe triggered on entering an iOS location, and then create a text file in Dropbox. It's a little flaky but mostly works.

simplyhorribul
Jul 30, 2013

Haggins posted:

I quit using the first edition when it didn't want to sync between devices that had different iOS version, so kind of looking for do their own service work better. It was nightmare to find a diary service that would sync between iOS 7 and 8 without being an actual blog or something.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
the best journaling / notes app is onenote - it runs on everything and skips a lot of corp firewalls due to being part of office

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

Wheezle posted:

Wow. I thought even their 50% off promotion was too expensive on the Mac and now they want to add a subscription on top?

It wasn't officially confirmed but they've mentioned it on twitter. Apparently they're going to offer videos and audio on entries at some point and I imagine that'll be the excuse, like, you'll have to pay them for more storage on their servers.

I bought the Day One upgrades without knowing about the subscription thing. I assumed that all the features they listed on the release post would be part of the new app. If they turn out to require some kind of subscription I'm gonna be really pissed. At that price point, it should all be included or we should have the option to use iCloud or something else. I already pay for iCloud storage and I have plenty of it.

I've been looking for a replacement for Day One but there doesn't seem to be anything as good out there. I don't trust Evernote (I think it's gonna die soon) and Momento doesn't have a Mac app. Journey doesn't have an iOS app.

Edit:

flosofl posted:

Yeah, I've since stopped using Day One. They've inexplicably removed iCloud sync, and they aren't safeguarding your data with encryption on their servers, so I'm done.

According to their web site, they do encrypt your data. Where did you read that they don't? Because if it's not encrypted I'm uninstalling this thing. gently caress that.

Vanellope fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 27, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vanellope posted:

It wasn't officially confirmed but they've mentioned it on twitter. Apparently they're going to offer videos and audio on entries at some point and I imagine that'll be the excuse, like, you'll have to pay them for more storage on their servers.

I bought the Day One upgrades without knowing about the subscription thing. I assumed that all the features they listed on the release post would be part of the new app. If they turn out to require some kind of subscription I'm gonna be really pissed. At that price point, it should all be included or we should have the option to use iCloud or something else. I already pay for iCloud storage and I have plenty of it.

I've been looking for a replacement for Day One but there doesn't seem to be anything as good out there. I don't trust Evernote (I think it's gonna die soon) and Momento doesn't have a Mac app. Journey doesn't have an iOS app.

Edit:

According to their web site, they do encrypt your data. Where did you read that they don't? Because if it's not encrypted I'm uninstalling this thing. gently caress that.

That was from the app ratings. If that's not the case, then cool.

Still moving away since their intention making Day One subscription.

Curious why you think Evernote is going to die? It is firmly entrenched in the business world, my work licenses the Pro version for everyone who wants to use it. The only real competitor I see is One Note. I'd have moved over if One Note's custom tagging wasn't pants on head idiotic. So, Evernote it is until that's fixed.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

flosofl posted:

Still moving away since their intention making Day One subscription.

I follow this app fairly closely, and I haven't heard anything about a subscription. I don't think you have anything to worry about on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

I'm look for an app that will go through my downloaded music, and ideally also go through my Amazon purchases (I purchase most of my mp3s through Amazon) and give me updates on when those artists are coming out with new albums. Secondarily, something that would make recommendations based on those artists.

I already use Spotify (rarely), but much prefer to own the album - I like the experience of listening to albums straight through and typically only buy albums on Vinyl (they all either auto rip via Amazon or come with a download code).

I'm also currently just using the Amazon music app for all of my music and wouldn't mind trying something new as well.

Any recommendations? I'm addicted to buying new music but have pretty specific tastes. This is mostly for an iPhone 6+, but to a lesser extent for an iPad Pro and iPhone 5s (work phone, will be upgrading to the new tiny 6e or whatever shortly).

Thanks broskies - I did some research on my own first but wasn't able to find anything that fits exactly what I'm looking for.