Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Xealot posted:

I'm kind of anticipating that'll happen. Not that the Hand will have anything to do with it, but that the blood-magic goth ritual poo poo will eventually connect to some wider vampire mythos.

A Netflix Blade series would be amazing. Ironically, Marvel's superhero output has come full circle, because the aesthetic style and scope of the 1998 Blade is way more similar to Daredevil than it is to most of the MCU feature projects.

Bring back Sticky Fingaz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Bring back Sticky Fingaz

The Blade series was legit, just needed a little better balance on the vampire clan drama vs. Sticky Fingaz carving up fools.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
The season was really good starting out and reached a high point at the prison, but the final episodes were really weak. The black sky stuff was not well thought out and not really interesting. The blacksmith was way more interesting and should have been the main plot of the season. The whole tension between to kill or not to kill should have come to a head with the blacksmith.

The hand stuff should have tied in to the blacksmith in some way.

Also I was really annoyed with how much time we spent with Karen Page. She had some strong moments but I really didn't care enough about her character to see her instead of the heroes.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Stumpus posted:

Also I was really annoyed with how much time we spent with Karen Page. She had some strong moments but I really didn't care enough about her character to see her instead of the heroes.

But she is herself a hero. We are all heroes. Everyone is heroes, and something something, because New York City.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Xealot posted:

But she is herself a hero. We are all heroes. Everyone is heroes, and something something, because New York City.

Yeah that was really, awful, for a lot of reasons.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Xealot posted:

We are all heroes because we own mirrors.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

HIJK posted:

We are all heroes because we own mirrors.

It's not even fair whenever a TV show holds someone up as a great writer or speechwriter or whatever. You're just guaranteed that the end product won't hit as well as they intended it to.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
If they were good writers they wouldn't be producing screenplays.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

A.o.D. posted:

If they were good writers they wouldn't be producing screenplays.
Let's not get carried away here. It's not like they're writing comic books or anything.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Yeah that was really, awful, for a lot of reasons.

My favorite way that this was awful is how Daredevil's reflection is one of the only things he cannot perceive in any way.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Lurdiak posted:

TMNT wasn't a parody. It was just an "homage", which is a nice way of saying ripoff.

Lurdiak posted:

Well if you can find any satirical elements in the first finished issue, let me know.

Okay, I'm confused - which thing are you taking issue with? That it's a parody, a satire, or both? Also, it seems you're implying that something is satirical if it's both a parody and homage, and I'm curious about that.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Light Gun Man posted:

She's not as bad as Iris on the Flash at least.

Karen isn't nearly as bad as Iris, and Iris isn't nearly as bad as Felicity

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

bbf2 posted:

Karen isn't nearly as bad as Iris, and Iris isn't nearly as bad as Felicity

Felicity has skills and stuff though. Iris acts like she knows what's best for everyone, when she's a coffee shop worker turned blogger turned printed newspaper worker oh wow!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
TVIV doesn't like women.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TV doesn't like women.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Light Gun Man posted:

Felicity has skills and stuff though. Iris acts like she knows what's best for everyone, when she's a coffee shop worker turned blogger turned printed newspaper worker oh wow!

Felicity and Karen are the best parts of their respective shows.

Karen owned a lot in season two, and did a lot to move the plot forward. I'm back and forth as to wether they should have mentioned her kill of Wesley directly. The worst thing about her was the out-of-nowhere attraction to Matt.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

All women in tv shows should be like Lagertha in Vikings.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

mclast posted:

Karen owned a lot in season two, and did a lot to move the plot forward. I'm back and forth as to wether they should have mentioned her kill of Wesley directly. The worst thing about her was the out-of-nowhere attraction to Matt.

In her defense, it's pretty hard to not be attracted to Charlie Cox.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

mclast posted:

Felicity and Karen are the best parts of their respective shows.

out of nowhere? she was into him last year too. also, he is charlie cox, it would be weird if she wasn't into him

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
Call me crazy but the Mrs. Cardenas arc seemed like a much stronger relationship foundation than anything Karen and Matt had been through. Natural hotness ain't everything.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

nooneofconsequence posted:

All women in tv shows should be like Lagertha in Vikings.

She would wear the pants in any relationship.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Xealot posted:

I bet a bunch of them New Yorkers don't know who won the Daytona 500 or the last season of American Idol. I mean, do they even have a Myspace page? If not, then they can't be a true hero. :colbert:

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 26, 2016

grobbo
May 29, 2014
*slowly raises hand*

I , too, find Karen miserably dull to watch. But I don't think that's a reflection on her actor or even, necessarily, her character - it's more about with Daredevil's failure to use its 'everyday' cast sensibly.

Last night I ended up rewatching Episode 4 with a few friends who were seeing it for the first time. There were palpable groans every time we cut away from Frank's interrogation & daring escape / Matt's investigation and heroic rescue of an adversary, to return to...Karen, slowly walking around a house, gasping a lot.

It wasn't just that one plotline was stuffed with action, thrills & character beats while moving quickly, and the other was slow and partially redundant. Despite moving at a snail's pace, Karen's story seemed remarkably uninvested in her, to the point that it just *ends* at the crucial moment when she's trying to escape from a suburban house as a vanful of hoodlums pulls up on the kerb. 'Oh, no! How is this character going to get out without being spotted?' 'Who cares, she's accomplished her goal of letting the camera focus meaningfully on household objects to fill in Frank's backstory.'

Using a single secondary character as a crutch to plod through your storytelling busywork is always going to strain the audience's patience, especially when you're also setting them up as an 'ordinary' love interest who needs to whizz through 3 episodes of sweetness and light before suddenly becoming suspicious and angry. It's massively overstuffed, and everything ends up feeling unearned (unlicenced lone wolf private investigator and (multiple?) murderer Karen Page just can't take any more of Matt Murdock's secrets and lies!).

I was sorry not to see more of Rosario Dawson this season, but I did appreciate how they used her - essentially, as a much-needed window into the everyday state of Hell's Kitchen for ordinary people. We get a chance to focus on the impact of the warring gangs, the criminality, the grit and grime, the cops and hospital workers struggling to do their best...that's a vital part of the entire story, and the vast majority of the time, DD just hasn't bothered to show us it.

I'd have liked to have seen Foggy and Karen spend their screentime on more of the same, because they're in a perfect position to do so. Show us the lawyers struggling to deal with Devil Worshippers, muggings and robberies, the collateral damage, the urban decay. Fill out your show's landscape and depth - that's vital.

Don't instead choose to give us 20+ scenes plodding through a hilariously simple conspiracy that Karen doesn't even end up solving, because Reyes reveals it all for us anyway. Missing corpse from the crime scene: it was a sting operation. Great, that was worthwhile.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Just watched S2. Marathoned it :frogbon:

It was very good. I agree the faceless ninjas got a bit tiresome at the end but I really liked the shots of them just loving crawling out of the shadows and zerging everything. The fact that some of them (all of them?) are reanimated corpses is something I liked as well. Overall I didn't feel like The Hand was very interesting though, it really lacked a proper head honcho to be the face of it all and we headed into cartoon villain territory a little too fast with the kids in cages being drained of blood through huge tubes or whatever.

Nobu was a fun fight but was hardly featured in this season so I just didn't care much. His execution was cool though

I hate Foggy, he's garbage, I hope a ninja kills him. He whines way too much and looks like a dwarf

Electra was great. I don't actually know anything about the comic character so I have no idea where this ressurection plot of hers is going to go, which I like, and I liked her romance with Matt more than Karens

Frank loving Castle. The punisher was awesome and his jailfight scene was brutal and amazing. The only thing I missed was him mowing down some ninjas with his minigun there at the end :allears: The cartoon xray of his skull was a little silly

Karen was great and I liked the relationship between her and the Punisher. I hope the punisherman gets his own TV show soon but I also want to see him featured more on Daredevil as well. I liked the interactions between him and Matt

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 26, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Maluco Marinero posted:

It's not even fair whenever a TV show holds someone up as a great writer or speechwriter or whatever. You're just guaranteed that the end product won't hit as well as they intended it to.

Similarly everyone freaking out about Foggy's opening statement and offering him a partnership because of it was really stupid.

grobbo posted:

*slowly raises hand*

I , too, find Karen miserably dull to watch. But I don't think that's a reflection on her actor or even, necessarily, her character - it's more about with Daredevil's failure to use its 'everyday' cast sensibly.

Last night I ended up rewatching Episode 4 with a few friends who were seeing it for the first time. There were palpable groans every time we cut away from Frank's interrogation & daring escape / Matt's investigation and heroic rescue of an adversary, to return to...Karen, slowly walking around a house, gasping a lot.

It wasn't just that one plotline was stuffed with action, thrills & character beats while moving quickly, and the other was slow and partially redundant. Despite moving at a snail's pace, Karen's story seemed remarkably uninvested in her, to the point that it just *ends* at the crucial moment when she's trying to escape from a suburban house as a vanful of hoodlums pulls up on the kerb. 'Oh, no! How is this character going to get out without being spotted?' 'Who cares, she's accomplished her goal of letting the camera focus meaningfully on household objects to fill in Frank's backstory.'

Using a single secondary character as a crutch to plod through your storytelling busywork is always going to strain the audience's patience, especially when you're also setting them up as an 'ordinary' love interest who needs to whizz through 3 episodes of sweetness and light before suddenly becoming suspicious and angry. It's massively overstuffed, and everything ends up feeling unearned (unlicenced lone wolf private investigator and (multiple?) murderer Karen Page just can't take any more of Matt Murdock's secrets and lies!).

I was sorry not to see more of Rosario Dawson this season, but I did appreciate how they used her - essentially, as a much-needed window into the everyday state of Hell's Kitchen for ordinary people. We get a chance to focus on the impact of the warring gangs, the criminality, the grit and grime, the cops and hospital workers struggling to do their best...that's a vital part of the entire story, and the vast majority of the time, DD just hasn't bothered to show us it.

I'd have liked to have seen Foggy and Karen spend their screentime on more of the same, because they're in a perfect position to do so. Show us the lawyers struggling to deal with Devil Worshippers, muggings and robberies, the collateral damage, the urban decay. Fill out your show's landscape and depth - that's vital.

Don't instead choose to give us 20+ scenes plodding through a hilariously simple conspiracy that Karen doesn't even end up solving, because Reyes reveals it all for us anyway. Missing corpse from the crime scene: it was a sting operation. Great, that was worthwhile.

I liked Karen in the first season but I agree with all of this. She really didn't have a focus other than unraveling the lamest conspiracy ever, that there was a sting operation and some civilians got killed and way too much time got spent on it. Also the focus on her Frank Castle story that ended up being the stupid Time Man of the Year Mirror cover wasn't worth the investment. Her walking around the house and finding out that he had a family was not the reveal with the weight I think they thought it had especially when the Punisher explained it with a lot more emotion a scene later anyway. Her role just seemed kind of pointless and she could have been used better.

Zzulu posted:

I hate Foggy, he's garbage, I hope a ninja kills him. He whines way too much and looks like a dwarf

I liked him last season but this one he was a pain and also he and Matt's relationship was a real bummer.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 26, 2016

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Radish posted:

Similarly everyone freaking out about Foggy's opening statement and offering him a partnership because of it was really stupid.

My take on that was that she was basically telling him that he'd be on the fast track to partner, not day one they're changing the signs while hes still unpacking his poo poo. The Punisher trial would have been a high profile case, and making an opening statement (and running a defence) that actually had a chance of acquitting a high profile client who is plainly and obviously as guilty as gently caress is the kind of thing that would impress other lawyers. Sure he ended up being found guilty*, but the perception would be that they lost because Frank Castle is a fuckup who literally had an unhinged tantrum in court and refused to cooperate with his own defence. Almost winning a patently unwinnable case, just think what he could do if the client wasnt a volatile psychopath.

*Did they technically lose? I got to that episode at stupid o'clock in the morning, so I'm not 100% sure, but was Frank ever actually found guilty, or did he escape before he was convicted? The point stands either way.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

SiKboy posted:

*Did they technically lose? I got to that episode at stupid o'clock in the morning, so I'm not 100% sure, but was Frank ever actually found guilty, or did he escape before he was convicted? The point stands either way.

I don't think the jury ever voted, or if they did we didn't see it. Castle escaped while in jail while on trial.

Regardless of the specifics of Foggy's job offer, other lawyers could see he was the backbone of Nelson and Murdock and they think he is valuable and his talent is being wasted. Which is true.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SiKboy posted:

My take on that was that she was basically telling him that he'd be on the fast track to partner, not day one they're changing the signs while hes still unpacking his poo poo. The Punisher trial would have been a high profile case, and making an opening statement (and running a defence) that actually had a chance of acquitting a high profile client who is plainly and obviously as guilty as gently caress is the kind of thing that would impress other lawyers. Sure he ended up being found guilty*, but the perception would be that they lost because Frank Castle is a fuckup who literally had an unhinged tantrum in court and refused to cooperate with his own defence. Almost winning a patently unwinnable case, just think what he could do if the client wasnt a volatile psychopath.

You know that Frank deliberately sank his own defense case, right? Not only that, but it was a deliberate, calculated action on his part, and not a tantrum. Did you miss the line that the Blacksmith's corrupt cop told Frank as he took the stand?

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

You know that Frank deliberately sank his own defense case, right? Not only that, but it was a deliberate, calculated action on his part, and not a tantrum. Did you miss the line that the Blacksmith's corrupt cop told Frank as he took the stand?

That wasn't the Blacksmith, that was Fisk. Hence the scene in prison where Fisk offers to help him find the man responsible for his family's deaths.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
If season 3 starts with Karen having been let go from the Bulletin after they realized her writing was bad this may make my favorite TV show of all time shortlist

A.o.D. posted:

nice reading comprehension and story comprehension fail

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SiKboy posted:

Did they technically lose? I got to that episode at stupid o'clock in the morning, so I'm not 100% sure, but was Frank ever actually found guilty, or did he escape before he was convicted? The point stands either way.

I don't think they technically lost since it didn't appear to go to a jury decision. What he did was waiving your 5th and copping a guilty plea on the stand in TV drama land, pretty sure it was straight to sentencing from there.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

They lost.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

They kept him from being found guilty by a jury of his peers, that's a kind of a win :v:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

A.o.D. posted:

Yes, I know it was deliberate, but the general legal fraternity doesnt. What I'm saying is, from their point of view Foggy had a great defense sunk by a psychotic client.

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 26, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
As far as TV lawyering goes, Foggy did a fantastic TV lawyer job this season and Matt did a mediocre TV lawyer job. I mean, if we're using real lawyering standards the Judge is super hosed because, no, I'm tired of Jury Selection is not a valid reason to end it. Not even if you have a headache. Hell, the Prosecution wouldn't even have gone along with that and any motions or appeals afterwards probably would have been fast track granted. Not a single change of venue request, really Nelson & Murdock?

TV lawyer standards though? Nelson did a Matlock case by way of A Time To Kill and was winning until his client went apeshit in court(if Matt had just been on his game he could have Matthew McConaugheyd their way out of it). He got the prosecution to sleepwalk into making his lone character witness look great. Seriously, how do you not guess that the one armed Colonel sitting in front of you talking about how awesome Frank Castle is just might be the one armed CO from the story he's telling?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Matt is actually the far superior lawyer, because he somehow got the judge to declare his own client a hostile witness then somehow parlayed that into delivering a closing argument mid-trial

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
But to everyone else, it looks like that amazing legal judo is what set the Punisher off. So by TV lawyer standards he hosed up. He needed a chance to turn it all around by asking the jury to imagine the death of the Castle family, how horrible it was, and then to imagine they were white.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I still can't believe that guard didn't get an evening visit from Daredevil. Further highlights how little Matt gave a poo poo by that point.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Soothing Vapors posted:

Matt is actually the far superior lawyer, because he somehow got the judge to declare his own client a hostile witness then somehow parlayed that into delivering a closing argument mid-trial

Yeah I'm surprised they didn't frame that as a closing argument and then have Frank go off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

grobbo posted:

*slowly raises hand*

This is an excellent summary of Karen. She just didn't work for me this season. Bordered on unbearable.