Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think Cara Delevigne's eyebrows killed Uncle Ben, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Deakul posted:

Haha, not a loving chance.

Cara Delevingne looks like a man undergoing hormone therapy.
You have a lot of experience with transitioning men?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Deakul posted:

Cara Delevingne looks like a man undergoing hormone therapy.

What is your problem?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Just got back from Dawn of Justice and I loved every single minute of it. I can see where all the complaints are coming from but I don't care because that movie pushed every single one of my narrative buttons. Whoever called it operatic and baroque was 100% on point and the movie was fantastic for it. Snyder raided every aspect of art history he could find and what a fantastic result. Marvel has everything bubblegum colored and everyone quips all over the place while thousands of people die in New York City via alien invasion. Dawn of Justice actually treats that subject with seriousness and gravity which I really respect and holy poo poo that color scheme is amazing, everything is gold and green and black. Wonder Woman was loving A+. Batfleck was a little over the top but who cares about the missteps when everything else he did was so on point? Eisenburg was great. More Eisenburg please. I even liked Cavill even though he was so serious, he and Amy Adams really loving sold Lois and Clark for me as a love story. Loved them too.

Dawn of Justice was loving great and I'm very excited about DC's new cinematic universe, I thought they handled the introduction very well. This is going to rock.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I havent watched BVS and probly wont in theaters because Im incredibly poor but I have a feeling I would like it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The MSJ posted:

That last picture do look like they are on a cruise or at a resort. Very 5th Element indeed.

New X-Men costume photo.

Ughhhh line the loving camera up with the floor/ wallllsssssssssss

HIJK posted:

Just got back from Dawn of Justice and I loved every single minute of it. I can see where all the complaints are coming from but I don't care because that movie pushed every single one of my narrative buttons. Whoever called it operatic and baroque was 100% on point and the movie was fantastic for it. Snyder raided every aspect of art history he could find and what a fantastic result. Marvel has everything bubblegum colored and everyone quips all over the place while thousands of people die in New York City via alien invasion. Dawn of Justice actually treats that subject with seriousness and gravity which I really respect and holy poo poo that color scheme is amazing, everything is gold and green and black. Wonder Woman was loving A+. Batfleck was a little over the top but who cares about the missteps when everything else he did was so on point? Eisenburg was great. More Eisenburg please. I even liked Cavill even though he was so serious, he and Amy Adams really loving sold Lois and Clark for me as a love story. Loved them too.

Dawn of Justice was loving great and I'm very excited about DC's new cinematic universe, I thought they handled the introduction very well. This is going to rock.

I just got back too, and I agree with all of this. Batman was a loving animal. Just so thoroughly done with it all, stabbing and shooting people. That was obvious from the trailers but the extended sequences really show it off. The only thing I didn't really like was how quickly Batman did his heel-turn, there was ~1 minute in between almost stabbing Superman through the face and putting his hand on Supes shoulder like 'we're gonna go get 'yer mom, bro.' Surprised Lois didn't call that poo poo out.

I hope once Superman comes back to life he has no memories and gets intercepted and debriefed by Russians instead of Americans so they can do some sort of Red Son.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 26, 2016

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

I havent watched BVS and probly wont in theaters because Im incredibly poor but I have a feeling I would like it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

net cafe scandal posted:

I'd recommend holding out for the director's cut, if at all. It's a good film that got hacked to bits by the studio.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Alehkhs posted:

:

:wtc: Bit of a Fifth Element feel here?

Not that weird considering how heavily the Fifth Element borrowed from the original comic.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
They're going to have trouble topping The Fifth Element though.

Too bad about BvS. I'll still rent it but I really wanted my prediction to be wrong.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This is a quote from Besson:

quote:

Honestly for me, no. When I started to write this at 13 years old, I was living in the country of cheese, and I wanted to make movies. But when I open my windows I see cows, so believe me, that pushes your imagination. Because you want to escape. I start to read Valerian when I was 10. At the time there was no Internet; there wasn’t even a TV at home. So I read and just had my imagination. So when I look at bluescreen, I see everything. My imagination is very comfortable with bluescreen.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Mameluke posted:

I think Cara Delevigne's eyebrows killed Uncle Ben, too!

When they do his origin story again, they should run with this idea. I'd also have her play Mary Jane, so there's an inbuilt tension there where the love of Peter's life also unknowingly possesses the eyebrows that murdered his uncle.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The MSJ posted:

New X-Men costume photo.

Jubilee is definitely going to die, right?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

They're going to have trouble topping The Fifth Element though.

i don't think it will. For one thing this is the movie that Luc Besson have been preparing to do all his life and as the interview says special effects has come a long way since that movie.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

they're really gonna merc the one Asian girl in the movie, huh

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

setafd posted:

they're really gonna merc the one Asian girl in the movie, huh

Olivia Munn is Asian too:ssh:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'd recommend holding out for the director's cut, if at all. It's a good film that got hacked to bits by the studio.

That sucks.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It's still good, and the worst of the abbreviation is felt in the first third, so by the end it's flowing better and you can settle in more comfortably. Also, the visual storytelling is so strong that nothing feels radically out of place the way it has in other movies that get hacked up for running time.

Also, while the trailers disclosed a hell of a lot, there's definitely significant plot elements that weren't in them.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the best part of the movie was this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw_o7XUX3fg

the worst part was by far doomsday

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i don't know much about the comics so up until i saw the movie i was apparently confusing doomsday with darkseid

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

What the hell? That movie needed to be even shorter, not longer.

gregday
May 23, 2003

The MSJ posted:

New Empire limited edition X-Men cover.

Enjoying the double birds Storm is flipping there.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Doflamingo posted:

What the hell? That movie needed to be even shorter, not longer.

A movie feeling overlong is a result of bad editing, not the runtime itself.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

oddium posted:

the best part of the movie was this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw_o7XUX3fg

the worst part was by far doomsday

this was the only part of the soundtrack that I actually liked, the opening with the Wayne double homicide was ok but everything else in the score just felt off

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Lex's mad violin theme was overbearing and dumb. WW's theme was super good I agree.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

bring back old gbs posted:

Ughhhh line the loving camera up with the floor/ wallllsssssssssss

Also please arrange the blue people so that color is more evenly distributed, perhaps making a triangle around Xavier. At least don't put bright blue and red Kurt out on the end.

oddium posted:

i don't know much about the comics so up until i saw the movie i was apparently confusing doomsday with darkseid

Well, don't beat yourself up [Batman v Superman]Darkseid is not only coming, since Nightmare Batman is actually an alternate future, but he got to Luthor at some point either before the movie or early into it. My reading is that a lot of Luthor's weird ticks and sort of insanity is due to meeting Darseid and being broken.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I realized BvS might be the most comic booky comic book movie ever made, in that if it was an actual arc in the comics, no one would blink twice at the absurd timing and bizarre science stuff. We just expect a different level of realism when there are actual people on screen than in a comic or cartoon.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Even know I know the CW series is separate, I hope for the Flash film they get a theme sort of like the TV series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbl2u7FzS3Y

It's fast paced (obviously) but it's also full of brass and it's the sort of triumphant music that we're conditioned to enjoy.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Gyges posted:

Also please arrange the blue people so that color is more evenly distributed, perhaps making a triangle around Xavier. At least don't put bright blue and red Kurt out on the end.

Well, don't beat yourself up [Batman v Superman]Darkseid is not only coming, since Nightmare Batman is actually an alternate future, but he got to Luthor at some point either before the movie or early into it. My reading is that a lot of Luthor's weird ticks and sort of insanity is due to meeting Darseid and being broken.

I think he learned about Darkseid from the kryptonian ship's archives.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Doflamingo posted:

I think he learned about Darkseid from the kryptonian ship's archives.

Bingo. His descent into madness is one of those Lovecraftian forbidden-knowledge about the elder gods sort of deals.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

That doesn't explain why he's already a raving loon.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Deakul posted:

In-universe reason: his daddy didn't love him enough (he admits to being abused growing up).

Real reason: lovely writing.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Do you know what was specifically cut or are you just accepting on faith that studios are bad? 2.5 hours seems more than generous for the story being told.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Deakul posted:

Genius and having his dad beat the poo poo out of him probably didn't do anything for his sanity

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Squinty posted:

Do you know what was specifically cut or are you just accepting on faith that studios are bad? 2.5 hours seems more than generous for the story being told.

I'm at least curious about it.

I'm also curious about Joss Whedon's 4 hour cut of Avengers 2, but I'm pretty sure that's still going to be terrible.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Skwirl posted:

I'm also curious about Joss Whedon's 4 hour cut of Avengers 2, but I'm pretty sure that's still going to be terrible.

I think he said that's not coming out for whatever reason.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The 4 hour cut was most likely just the assembly cut that for whatever reason bloggers ran with as a "directors cut"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

See I knew about the "R-rated" cut being planned but I figured that'd just be a minute's worth of footage at best- did they actually cut a bunch of story/character stuff too?

When it comes down to it, all "tone" debates aside my big problem with MoS was it felt overstuffed and the stuff you needed for the plot to work left less room for other things, so it's a shame if they couldn't lick that issue. Such is blockbuster filmmaking I suppose.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Maxwell Lord posted:

See I knew about the "R-rated" cut being planned but I figured that'd just be a minute's worth of footage at best- did they actually cut a bunch of story/character stuff too?

When it comes down to it, all "tone" debates aside my big problem with MoS was it felt overstuffed and the stuff you needed for the plot to work left less room for other things, so it's a shame if they couldn't lick that issue. Such is blockbuster filmmaking I suppose.

The studio "got nervous" at the 3-hour runtime, and Snyder didn't have the clout to oppose the relatively last-minute edits.

They apparently cut it to focus almost exclusively on the Batman/Superman fight in the title, removing focus from side characters whose ideas are actually influencing the battle. A crucial scene at the start, showing how Superman actually operates as a hero now that the world knows about him - and how Lois works as his sidekick - is specifically mentioned as being both longer and different. In general, Snyder says lots of ideas were left 'unfinished'.

Snyder compares his version to the Watchmen Director's Cut (which is way superior to the decent theatrical), and Darko (who had a small role working on the film) compares it to the Kingdom Of Heaven DC - which is often held up as the biggest examples of a director's cut redeeming a butchered film.

Having seen the studio cut, I can pretty much confirm this. For the first twenty minutes, it's the best superhero film ever - but things started getting choppy. Big chunks in the middle are blatantly cut down to just bare exposition explaining why the fight scenes are happening. It's a testament to Snyder's skill as a director that this version works at all. But it's basically a series of cool short films, intercut with narration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
Unless WB promised him 3 hours and pulled the rug at the last minute, there's no way Snyder actually expected they'd let him release a cut that long into theaters. You aim for 120 minutes and you're ecstatic if the studio lets you go over. If he couldn't come up with a coherent edit, that sounds more like a failure of planning than studio meddling.

• Locked thread