Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I'm listening to the Serial podcast about Bo Bergdahl after reading this thread, and man, that guy was a class A idiot.
You can be a know-nothing civilian like me and still recognize that the Dwight Schrute-esque guy aping Lawrence of Arabia is a moron.
Fun facts I learned:
He used to sleep with a tomahawk in his bed while on deployment (so he's ready for battle at a moment's notice)
Was home schooled and barely literate
Didn't smoke but didn't want to be left out, so took up smoking a pipe (he explains "there's a longer military history tradition of smoking pipes than that of cigarettes")
After surviving an ambush somewhat miraculously with nobody being hit, he was all huffy and bothered that they fled rather than stay in the ambush zone and shoot back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pipes are pretty dope.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Derek Dominoe posted:

Have you considered politics?

:laffo:

She's pretty much the Aryan ideal.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

LingcodKilla posted:

Pipes are pretty dope.

They are but anyone under 50 smoking one looks like a tool.

I own a few dozen pipes

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

An idiot I work with smokes a pipe. Pipes make me think of his stupid hipster face.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Casimir Radon posted:

An idiot I work with smokes a pipe. Pipes make me think of his stupid hipster face.

My dad used to smoke a pipe but he was born in 1952 so he always got a break for it. If you were born past 1960 and smoke a pipe then you're a loving dumb butt.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I smoke the occasional cigar. Maybe pipes when I'm older.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

Pipes taste and smell about a million times better with decent tobacco. Grandpa taught us how to smoke them when we were kids helping down on the plantation. So whenever I smoke one it always reminds me of that

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Man I missed race chat :(
I know the people from my grandmother from my mother's side came from Canary island, also my grandfather from my mom side was black or at least half-black. My father side has been more iffy to find their story, but apparently I'm descendant from the sister of Captain Cofresi who is a small time pirate but its a Legend in my hometown.

Speaking of my hometown people from there are known as the "Mata Con Hachas" (people that kill with axes or Axe murderer) because of an old folk-tale that people from my hometown defended their salt-flats from the neighboring town by murdering the gently caress out of them with axes.

canyoneer posted:

I'm listening to the Serial podcast about Bo Bergdahl after reading this thread, and man, that guy was a class A idiot.
You can be a know-nothing civilian like me and still recognize that the Dwight Schrute-esque guy aping Lawrence of Arabia is a moron.
Fun facts I learned:
He used to sleep with a tomahawk in his bed while on deployment (so he's ready for battle at a moment's notice)
Was home schooled and barely literate
Didn't smoke but didn't want to be left out, so took up smoking a pipe (he explains "there's a longer military history tradition of smoking pipes than that of cigarettes")
After surviving an ambush somewhat miraculously with nobody being hit, he was all huffy and bothered that they fled rather than stay in the ambush zone and shoot back.

Bergdahl didn't finish Coast Guard boot camp
I did finish Coast Guard boot camp

So that means I am smarter than one person.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

I've said it before but taking a corncob on a camping or fishing trip is awesome.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Just tell people you're pan-racial and meet any response with screaming you're being persecuted

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
excuse me but the proper term is 'racial-fluid'

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

ded posted:

your mothers favorite drink

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ded posted:

trans-ethnic

Water777
Mar 19, 2015
I lurk here and read cool posts but since idiots (being in the armed forces) is ancestry I thought i'd post.

Both were the shitmix Irish/scottish/british types that never thought twice about it and got on with their lives, but both served in the RCAF during WW2.

West Coast Grampa enlisted, and became a pilot trainer somewhere around the Calgary area. Never left the country. Got a mechanic's ticket from the forces then moved to Dawson Creek, BC, married and became a farmer. Lived in a tin sided two story house that he built himself (WARBLE CONTROL AREA) would buy bulldozers at auction just to park it, take a spark plug out of the engine and let the thing rust to poo poo in his museum of other farm vehicles.

East Coast Grampa enlisted just before the allied invasion of Normandy and flew as (I don't know the term) the guy who sighted the ground to drop the bombs on. He was very tight lipped about what he did over there. The most I know from my mother is that he had flown over Dresden. After the war he joined the Fisheries Service in Nova Scotia and raised a massive family, got free eels all the time and stopped drinking after he fell of a ladder painting their house in Antigonish.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Crack pipes best pipes

Stuffy idjits itt. If people smoke someplace other than in your face who gives a gently caress?

Finishing coastguard boot camp means you're a tard malingo, just like every other limp dick motorboat navy wannbee

FTN

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Idiot thread material: I witnessed an 18 wheeler almost rear end a convoy of humvees last night

I was driving down 95 on my way back from my home away from home near Indian Springs late at night when I saw an 18 wheeler abruptly swerve from the outside lane to the inside lane....turns out he was avoiding a convoy of 4 humvees. They were traveling down a divided four-lane (not controlled access but still) rural highway, at night, in a traffic lane (i.e. not on the shoulder), going about 15 mph, at night, without any sort of additional reflective or flashing anything. They were just trucking along with the rear vehicle only having its normal (half burnt out) tail lights displayed....at night.....going 15 mph on a four lane rural divided highway where most traffic is cruising at 80+ mph.

I'm honestly surprised I didn't see a story in the local news about "military convoy suffered tragic traffic accident" from their idiocy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^Sounds like SEALS, except they'd be smashing against the engine's governor or mechanical ability to not explosively vent the block.

Water777 posted:

East Coast Grampa enlisted just before the allied invasion of Normandy and flew as (I don't know the term) the guy who sighted the ground to drop the bombs on.

Bombardier.

Water777
Mar 19, 2015
merci

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Chinese Starcraft tomato ninja image

Soulex posted:

Born in a German hospital so I think yes. Also yes

This is about as clear as it gets without talking to a German jurist.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_nationality_law#Birth_in_Germany

You can probably call the German immigration authorities and ask, too.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Water777 posted:

.... stopped drinking after he fell of a ladder painting their house in Antigonish.
:lol: Is that what it takes to quit drinking?
I guess I'm safe, as no free eels and never going to afford a house in this country.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.
Irish be drinkin. I'm reading an article on blockade runners during the Civil War and one part mentions a Confederate ambush on a river that smoked a group of Federals and killed everyone in two small boats. An Irish dude with the Confederates volunteered to swim out and bring the boats in, but "in one of the boats the lucky Irishman found a keg of whiskey and it was reported that it was a long time before he could be induced to bring in the captured boats."

Chill rear end motherfucker was just floating around getting lit up while his bros watched from the shore being super bummed.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
just chillin on a pile of corpses sippin some whisky

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Dmaonk posted:

This is about as clear as it gets without talking to a German jurist.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_nationality_law#Birth_in_Germany

You can probably call the German immigration authorities and ask, too.

Thanks. It's an avenue the wife and I are entertaining. After I get out of college and have both degrees, I should be able to either get a federal job easier or just move the gently caress over there.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

just chillin on a pile of corpses sippin some whisky

Nahh, take their boots then tip'em over the side. Fish gotta eat.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Memento posted:

Nahh, take their boots then tip'em over the side. Fish gotta eat.

no way, floating around with a bunch of dead bodies probably made him all nostalgic for his boat ride from the emerald isle

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
lol they had to eat peat

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Nuke Ireland. I'll be there too to get rid of my tainted blood since my great grandma came from there to live in Virginia in the most backwoods place in Appalachia.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mike-o posted:

Nuke Ireland. I'll be there too to get rid of my tainted blood since my great grandma came from there to live in Virginia in the most backwoods place in Appalachia.

It her made her feel at home you big meanie.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
If Fallout has taught me anything it's that potatoes do even better in a radioactive wasteland than they do in a clean one. Do it, prevent any more potato famines, be the hero of (what's left of) Ireland.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If Fallout has taught me anything it's that potatoes do even better in a radioactive wasteland than they do in a clean one.

:black101::science: Atomic Gardening

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 27, 2016

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

That's really cool!

Gamma and X-ray mutagenesis is still commonly used in plant breeding today. It's a little more sophisticated than what's shown in the article but I'm not sure why the author describes it as discredited.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
The soviets had the idea of using radiation to force seed to go dormant so their useful lifespan would be increased by a few seasons. They built a bunch of devices and distributed them around the nation but quickly lost track of them in the chaos after the end of the Cold War. We had to make a concerted effort to help the Russians find them before they either got dismantled by scrappers and caused an environmental crisis or were used to make a terrorist dirty bomb

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

iyaayas01 posted:

Idiot thread material: I witnessed an 18 wheeler almost rear end a convoy of humvees last night

I was driving down 95 on my way back from my home away from home near Indian Springs late at night when I saw an 18 wheeler abruptly swerve from the outside lane to the inside lane....turns out he was avoiding a convoy of 4 humvees. They were traveling down a divided four-lane (not controlled access but still) rural highway, at night, in a traffic lane (i.e. not on the shoulder), going about 15 mph, at night, without any sort of additional reflective or flashing anything. They were just trucking along with the rear vehicle only having its normal (half burnt out) tail lights displayed....at night.....going 15 mph on a four lane rural divided highway where most traffic is cruising at 80+ mph.

I'm honestly surprised I didn't see a story in the local news about "military convoy suffered tragic traffic accident" from their idiocy.

I bet we're neighbors

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I bet we're neighbors

Not for much longer, I'm PCSing and escaping this clown show of an enterprise!

yeah assuming you live in NW Vegas we're neighbors

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iyaayas01 posted:

Not for much longer, I'm PCSing and escaping this clown show of an enterprise!

What's your next shitshow going to be?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

edit - wrong thread.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

What's your next shitshow going to be?

Back to Ammo but it'll be AFMC, managing the global distribution/allocation of explodey things. I'm allegedly going to the APF side of things but we'll see if that actually happens.

To say I'm looking forward to it is an understatement. AFMC Bankers' hours, being one of the infamous "they" who never returns emails or answers phone calls (instead of being on the opposite end of that like I am now)...it's going to be great.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

iyaayas01 posted:

Back to Ammo but it'll be AFMC, managing the global distribution/allocation of explodey things. I'm allegedly going to the APF side of things but we'll see if that actually happens.

To say I'm looking forward to it is an understatement. AFMC Bankers' hours, being one of the infamous "they" who never returns emails or answers phone calls (instead of being on the opposite end of that like I am now)...it's going to be great.

how long before you resign your commission sir?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iyaayas01 posted:

You should probably sign your functional's office up for a wine/beer of the month club right now so they "forget" to put you on the VML to become an ADO at Minot or something in three years.