Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Was there a conversation about Final Fantasy 7 in here recently or no? I'm trying to find a lot of conversations and it's a pain in the rear end when you don't have search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

It's staring at your avatar, it's not sure that rock facts are actually true.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
can confirm that gate of firmament, the chinese rpg, is good.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

RareAcumen posted:

Was there a conversation about Final Fantasy 7 in here recently or no? I'm trying to find a lot of conversations and it's a pain in the rear end when you don't have search.

i played through and posted about it within the last four or five weeks so probably

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
RPG thirst is killing me I am gonna go back and play xenogears or bof 3 again

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i love xenogears a lot and i'll never replay it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

hubris.height posted:

RPG thirst is killing me I am gonna go back and play xenogears or bof 3 again

you should play gate of firmament

store.steampowered.com/app/427030

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
As someone playing Bof 3 right now, I don't know why anyone would ever want to replay it. Oh god, these required mini games. Needing to go around and collect ingredients to make sushi. It was just okay before this, but it's really turned terrible in the last few hours.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Super Ninja Fish posted:

As someone playing Bof 3 right now, I don't know why anyone would ever want to replay it. Oh god, these required mini games. Needing to go around and collect ingredients to make sushi. It was just okay before this, but it's really turned terrible in the last few hours.

I've beaten bof 3 4 or 5 times and can't recall ever really being pissed about any of the minigames. but I like the desert so maybe I'm a fool

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

corn in the bible posted:

you should play gate of firmament

store.steampowered.com/app/427030

will peep this later thanks

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

bloodychill posted:

It's staring at your avatar, it's not sure that rock facts are actually true.

It's Kermit the Skeptic.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

hubris.height posted:

will peep this later thanks

It's got a very iffy translation but it's an enjoyable Chinese rpg imho

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

hubris.height posted:

I've beaten bof 3 4 or 5 times and can't recall ever really being pissed about any of the minigames. but I like the desert so maybe I'm a fool

Not even the one where you have to pull a rope by tapping a button a bunch of times, then wait, then tap it a bunch of times again, repeat x20? Or the one where you have to solve a math riddle to cook sushi? If you forget the recipe instructions, you have to leave town and go back to a house under a bridge somewhere to hear them again. What's the desert?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Super Ninja Fish posted:

What's the desert?
You know, the one where you have a minigame about traveling through a desert and screwing it up can cost Ryu max HP, permanently. Oh and the directions in your tent that ryu wrote done or something are actually wrong so if you didn't write down what you were told the first time or check a walkthrough you're hosed.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Zereth posted:

You know, the one where you have a minigame about traveling through a desert and screwing it up can cost Ryu max HP, permanently.

It's not permanent, just until you stay at an Inn. There are other times than the desert where that can happen, too, though I don't remember them.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Zereth posted:

You know, the one where you have a minigame about traveling through a desert and screwing it up can cost Ryu max HP, permanently. Oh and the directions in your tent that ryu wrote done or something are actually wrong so if you didn't write down what you were told the first time or check a walkthrough you're hosed.

Oh, so it gets worse?

I like the mini game where Momo sends you to a lower floor to activate a switch. For some reason, you have to go down a slow elevator, activate it, and go back in exactly 100 seconds. Counting in your head 100 seconds, waiting for the time to transpire, then getting the timing wrong and having to do it again. That's a fun idea for a mini game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
What the christ, I just noticed one of the new warrior toggles in Dragon Age Inquisition is an AoE buff that gives everyone the Guard on Hit property.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Phantasium posted:

It's not permanent, just until you stay at an Inn. There are other times than the desert where that can happen, too, though I don't remember them.
I remember that ending a battle dead reduced your max HP temporarily but I would have sworn that screwing up the desert badly enough could cost you max HP permanently. :psylon:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Oh, so it gets worse?

I like the mini game where Momo sends you to a lower floor to activate a switch. For some reason, you have to go down a slow elevator, activate it, and go back in exactly 100 seconds. Counting in your head 100 seconds, waiting for the time to transpire, then getting the timing wrong and having to do it again. That's a fun idea for a mini game.

i do not remember any of this

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

hubris.height posted:

you repressed it

(also i'm pretty sure they're misremembering and they're thinking of the "shoot the chrysms and run really fast and hope you don't get any random encounters" minigame)

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

hubris.height posted:

The "Stand around and wait" mini game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcv2iM4KOho&t=1550s

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
that dude seems to really enjoy it

i think that might be optional though? I don't remember ever doing this

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

I guess he really likes counting to 100. You need to do it to start the Black Ship, to get across the sea.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

loving FINALLY

It's year 3, Spring 19, and this went off on the drat de-fluffing festival date.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

END ME SCOOB posted:

loving FINALLY

somebody didn't do the savescumming trick

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im playing the translated FF12 International Zodiac Job System and while is cool that we actually have to choose what to do with the characters now, instead of making everyone good at everything, it seems like the game is a lot easier?

I remember I lot of bosses that I had trouble with in the regular version, and places where I had to stop and grind for a bit cause I was having trouble even with regular monsters. This time Im just breezing through everything and I didnt even made the smartest and most efficient board choices.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im playing the translated FF12 International Zodiac Job System and while is cool that we actually have to choose what to do with the characters now, instead of making everyone good at everything, it seems like the game is a lot easier?

I remember I lot of bosses that I had trouble with in the regular version, and places where I had to stop and grind for a bit cause I was having trouble even with regular monsters. This time Im just breezing through everything and I didnt even made the smartest and most efficient board choices.

Sounds more like you used to play poorly and now you're playing normally, aside from stuff you're supposed to avoid there's never a point in XII where you need to grind to deal with regular enemies.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Kanfy posted:

Sounds more like you used to play poorly and now you're playing normally, aside from stuff you're supposed to avoid there's never a point in XII where you need to grind to deal with regular enemies.

Im playing in almost full auto mode. Gambits on for everyone and I will barely intervene on the fights, even on bosses.

Ok, I might be playing (organizing the gambits) more efficiently. But still, I remember my party being a overall a lot weaker in the normal game at the same moments. Less HP, less damage, worst spells etc.

Maybe I just made bad choices at the original huge board, and now with the smaller ones is more difficult to be dumb

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

for totori plus, how easy is it to just play normally and then reset near the end to get every ending like i did with rorona plus?

Davincie fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 26, 2016

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

END ME SCOOB posted:

loving FINALLY

It's year 3, Spring 19, and this went off on the drat de-fluffing festival date.

:hfive: I got it yesterday, had to scum for it though. Also are you actually on the third year in play time? I swear after the second arc the game jumps forward a year. I've been playing the game in fits and bursts so maybe I have actually played that long but I'm sure I haven't.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Overminty posted:

:hfive: I got it yesterday, had to scum for it though. Also are you actually on the third year in play time? I swear after the second arc the game jumps forward a year. I've been playing the game in fits and bursts so maybe I have actually played that long but I'm sure I haven't.

It does, yeah, you're on the exact same day but +1 year after finishing the second arc. So technically "year 2", but.

Now I need to get the materials to get better gear because holy god I'm getting wrecked, overlevelled or not.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Elias_Maluco posted:

12IZJS is actually far easier than the original game for a couple reasons. First, because the License board is so much more focused, you're getting power raising stuff like Battle Lores and whatnot much faster than the vanilla game really expected you to. Second, everyone's stats were slightly rebalanced and everyone now has 5-9 or so additional points in Magic naturally at level 99, which instantly makes offensive magic much more devastating, and augments like Warmage (I think it was called that?) that give you back MP as you do damage aren't rebalanced to account for this so beyond the first hour or so a Black or even a Red Mage is going to be regenerating more MP with each spell than they're spending on that spell. Couple this with the fact that the tier 1 spells are now AoE... well you see where that going.

Basically, everyone's going to be more powerful at any given point than they would've been in vanilla, and Black Mages are beyond overpowered now. The balance kind of catches up with itself towards the end of the game, but honestly I don't think you're going to notice that.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

This TAS of DQ3 is adorable, especially with the commentary. Every JRPG should have a way to run a party of 4 ghosts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRouNXeZQY4

The 8 minutes of levelups after one battle were a bit extreme, though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Davincie posted:

for totori plus, how easy is it to just play normally and then reset near the end to get every ending like i did with rorona plus?

totori (and meruru also) just gives you the highest ending you meet the requirements for. rorona didn't let you pick either, but they added it in the plus remake. so basically, it is impossible unless you carefully manage all the ending requirements so that you leave the triggers right until the end for all of them, and that is super tedious and sucks to do

all the dusk games also let you choose.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 26, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

12IZJS is actually far easier than the original game for a couple reasons. First, because the License board is so much more focused, you're getting power raising stuff like Battle Lores and whatnot much faster than the vanilla game really expected you to. Second, everyone's stats were slightly rebalanced and everyone now has 5-9 or so additional points in Magic naturally at level 99, which instantly makes offensive magic much more devastating, and augments like Warmage (I think it was called that?) that give you back MP as you do damage aren't rebalanced to account for this so beyond the first hour or so a Black or even a Red Mage is going to be regenerating more MP with each spell than they're spending on that spell. Couple this with the fact that the tier 1 spells are now AoE... well you see where that going.

Basically, everyone's going to be more powerful at any given point than they would've been in vanilla, and Black Mages are beyond overpowered now. The balance kind of catches up with itself towards the end of the game, but honestly I don't think you're going to notice that.

Yeah, I think is this exactly.

Im only 10 hours into the game and I have Basch (samurai) and Penelo (uhlan or whatever its called) both with several battle lore and HP thing licenses, so they got around 1500 HP and are doing obscene damage in regular attacks. For comparison, Vossler, who I have as a guest now, while being 3 levels higher than they, still only have around 700 HP.

And with Fran (red mage) I took a number of that license to make more damage with magic, so she can take like more than 1/10 of a boss HP with a single dark spell. She almost single-handedly beat that judge boss fight in the airship only casting dark, and it took 2 minutes or less

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, I think is this exactly.

Im only 10 hours into the game and I have Basch (samurai) and Penelo (uhlan or whatever its called) both with several battle lore and HP thing licenses, so they got around 1500 HP and are doing obscene damage in regular attacks. For comparison, Vossler, who I have as a guest now, while being 3 levels higher than they, still only have around 700 HP.

And with Fran (red mage) I took a number of that license to make more damage with magic, so she can take like more than 1/10 of a boss HP with a single dark spell. She almost single-handedly beat that judge boss fight in the airship only casting dark, and it took 2 minutes or less

sounds a hell of a lot more fun that original ff12 to be honest

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

This is actually the easiest mini game. You just have to remember (or write down, since you have a lot of waiting to do) the number showing up when you reach the last room. Substract the number from 100 and you know exactly at what point you have to race back and tell Momo.

You don't even have to be precise with this, just go back and tell her, as long as you don't take your lunch break on the way back the slow number ticking is with you and you will talk to her when the ticker is at 100.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Is Disgaea PC finally patched and worth playing if you have no other way to get into the games besides buying a new console?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

RareAcumen posted:

Is Disgaea PC finally patched and worth playing if you have no other way to get into the games besides buying a new console?

if disgaea pc still isn't working properly, the psp ports of disgaea 1&2 are perfectly functional and really easy to emulate, so you could go for that as an alternative. it might even be a better idea to do that since disgaea 1 is the weakest game in the series and the second game apparently does away with a lot of its worst aspects, and i have no idea when or if they'll announce a pc port of it

that said, apparently none of the major issues with disgaea pc are things you can't fix, judging from a quick glance at the community hub

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

corn in the bible posted:

sounds a hell of a lot more fun that original ff12 to be honest

It really is, even if only because you actually have to specialize your characters, instead of everyone being the same jack-of-all-trades by end game

EDIT: vvvvv yeap, but is definitely easier too

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 26, 2016