Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I haven't bought an Amon Amarth albums since Versus the World since that disc hasn't broken yet. General consensus was that Twilight of the Thunder God was good -- up until now, Amon Amarth seemed to have a good album every three -- are any of the others worth listening to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
Listening to the new AA right now and the one thing I've noticed is at some point the guitars actually sound pretty... chuggy? It's kind of odd.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

I haven't bought an Amon Amarth albums since Versus the World since that disc hasn't broken yet. General consensus was that Twilight of the Thunder God was good -- up until now, Amon Amarth seemed to have a good album every three -- are any of the others worth listening to?

With Oden On Our Side was pretty rad.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

Versus is great, twilight and surtur as well, deceiver have some good songs but is merely ok. I prefer surtur to twilight since it have more "experimental" songs.
If Jomsviking is similar to deceiver, the I will be somewhat disappointed.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I like the new AA. It comes in a bit under Twilight and their previous, but it's still a good album.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Nordick posted:

But that's just it, it doesn't sound like "the same" to me. This album sounds a lot lighter than, say, Twilight of the Thunder God. A lot of this stuff is almost like straight-up power metal except for Hegg's vocals, and even the heavier songs sound really stripped down, like the songs have less meat on their bones. Maybe that's Andy Sneap's production at work, I'm not really familiar with his work but I've read some less than admiring comments about him.

I agree with Hulk Krogan though, Hegg still kicks rear end. Even the couple spoken parts he does sound badass.

The vocals do rule, I give you that. They also put on an awesome live show, and asator is a great song. AA isn't bad but they could just be so much better.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
One thing that they deserve credit for is how awesome their guitars sound. Seriously some of the best sounding guitars in "death" metal. They're not really brutal or anything, but they sound awesome.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Once Sent From The Golden Hall is the best album, if you want one to check out. Obviously VTW, TOTTG, and WOOOS are top-tier also. IMO the only weak-ish albums are Fate of Norns and Deceiver of the Gods, but even they have plenty of good songs.

After listening to Jomsviking for a couple days it's actually pretty drat good, their best since Twilight I reckon. Way Of Vikings is a killer tune.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

As an off and on fan of Amon Amarth since I first heard Pursuit back in the day I quite like the new album. The vocals are absolutely punishing and the Maiden leads are very catchy. The various melodic leads all over the album change up the pace in a way they haven't nailed before. Production is meaty in the way that sounds spot on for the genre.

It's not like some new level unmatched by other bands or AA themselves but it's a solid metal album. It'll be in my rotation for a while.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 26, 2016

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Henchman of Santa posted:

New Cobalt is so loving filthy

for real, i had my reservations about a double LP but every track is killer

also the new Cult of Luna album is out, i was worried it was going to have a softer, post-rock touch to it but they're still as heavy as ever

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
ProgPower's FB account is pretty decent.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
We all know Batman = Death Metal

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Always had him pegged as Morrissey fan myself.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
cool cartoon pictures for children.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

He only works in metal, and sometimes very very dark metal.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

We all know Batman = Death Metal

The intro to Bloodbath's "Death Delirium" is basically the main motif from the theme to Batman: The Animated Series

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

cool cartoon pictures for children.

Yeah man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qatmJtIJAPw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I53HDr0-Qew

But anyways the new Amon Amarth is really good from start to finish. I like it more than their last one (what was that called again?). Plus the song with Doro on guest vocs kicks rear end.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

The vocals do rule, I give you that. They also put on an awesome live show, and asator is a great song. AA isn't bad but they could just be so much better.

it was a slow burn but it's grown on me over a few listens. Sucks that they're skipping us again this tour with exmortus :argh:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well, I'm kinda sorta warming up to the new AA. I'd almost written it off already, but then I found myself humming to one of the songs, and gave it a couple more spins, and at this point I'd call it okay. A few songs are even good.
It still does sound dull somehow, compared to WOOOS and TOTTG. The latter two just sound richer and more... alive? Evocative? I dunno, I'm having trouble putting the feeling into words.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

they're a terrible band all around really but the Thor Arise demo is sort of charming because of the production, and it actually sounds a bit like death metal which is nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AnjkeWTa0w

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

A human heart posted:

they're a terrible band all around really
Careful now, people have been killed for less.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

A human heart posted:

they're a terrible band all around really
heehee you're terrible do cradle of filth next

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
No matter the band, there will always be someone to go "the first demo was the best/the only good one".

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Just lol if you don't exclusively listen to 20+ year old demos that sound like complete poo poo

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I think the new AA is my favorite release of theirs. Every time I listen to it I find more to like. I'm pretty addicted right now to tell the truth.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
We used to know a guy who claimed to "only listen to the first 20 seconds of the first Bathory album".

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Trees and Squids posted:

Just lol if you don't exclusively listen to 20+ year old demos that sound like complete poo poo

I'd tell you you're unoriginal but so am I because I've made this joke repeatedly and it never gets old anyway.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Wizgot posted:

Just found this band called KAT from Poland. Their poo poo is so brutal. I have no idea what they're talking about but it sounds so sick.

https://youtu.be/ZnBifsPC5Fo

Speaking of Vader and Kat, here's a video of Vader playing a Kat cover with the Kat vocalist. I think it's off their Live in Warsaw DVD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QshiGE19G70

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure it's been discussed at some point in this thread and I've gone back about 15 pages and can't see anything - I keep forgetting there's a metal thread here damnit, but omg the latest Amorphis album 'Under The Red Cloud' is incredible, easily my favourite from the last few years.

I travelled a lot of miles around the country and saw them twice on tour last week, exhausting but worth every second. I wish I had a current passport and serious cash to keep following them around Europe. Still on a serious post-gig high and can't. stop. listening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4sEwiQ7gdc&list=PL0uf1MtUvQN4bB785JnN_8tQqcGuOBIaS&index=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG5Ez5q7j2M&index=6&list=PL0uf1MtUvQN4bB785JnN_8tQqcGuOBIaS

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That demo sounds pretty good. :)

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Trees and Squids posted:

if you think that's complete poo poo then you haven't listened to many demos

Misandry Cannon
Mar 7, 2012
Thanks for the help. As it turns out the closest place to me bands care to go is Cleveland. I hate this state.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

pants cat posted:

I'm sure it's been discussed at some point in this thread and I've gone back about 15 pages and can't see anything - I keep forgetting there's a metal thread here damnit, but omg the latest Amorphis album 'Under The Red Cloud' is incredible, easily my favourite from the last few years.

I travelled a lot of miles around the country and saw them twice on tour last week, exhausting but worth every second. I wish I had a current passport and serious cash to keep following them around Europe. Still on a serious post-gig high and can't. stop. listening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4sEwiQ7gdc&list=PL0uf1MtUvQN4bB785JnN_8tQqcGuOBIaS&index=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG5Ez5q7j2M&index=6&list=PL0uf1MtUvQN4bB785JnN_8tQqcGuOBIaS

Yeah man I like this album a whole lot. Better than their previous ones actually. Not sure what makes this one different though.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I liked the new Amorphis too, but somehow I didn't end up listening to it more than a few times. Been too busy playing the poo poo out of even better stuff I guess.

That reminds me we didn't have any "best albums of 2015" roundups here. I think we listed some half-year favourites in the summer but then nothing once the year was done.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Some people did post their favourites of the year in like December or so iirc

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Nordick posted:

I liked the new Amorphis too, but somehow I didn't end up listening to it more than a few times. Been too busy playing the poo poo out of even better stuff I guess.

That reminds me we didn't have any "best albums of 2015" roundups here. I think we listed some half-year favourites in the summer but then nothing once the year was done.
Outside of Alkaloid I think pretty much all the best albums of 2015 were in the first half of the year

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Gravewürm released an album on Dec 25 and it was real good.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Nordick posted:

It was pretty pointless to post a year end list once Horrendous released Anareta in October.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Oh man, Moonsorrow released a song from the new album! It's loving amazing :black101: , just a few more days! They even made it an official video that's kind of rad, the more I watch it the more I like it, even though it seems to clearly be the work of a VFX student. The song keeps growing on me too, it's got the classic folky-vibe but less "happy" folk.

:derp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btI0AiJAC70 :derp:

Also just got this from Inquisition's FB page - new album teaser! Groovy string-bending frog action :derp: :derp:

:siren: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00y4gW50Lhc :siren:

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

gently caress, gonna miss seeing Metal Church tonight in NYC.. guess I'm gonna drive 2 hrs to Poughkeepsie next Friday. Their new album is pretty good and Mike Howe still sounds awesome.