Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Squinty posted:

Unless WB promised him 3 hours and pulled the rug at the last minute, there's no way Snyder actually expected they'd let him release a cut that long into theaters. You aim for 120 minutes and you're ecstatic if the studio lets you go over. If he couldn't come up with a coherent edit, that sounds more like a failure of planning than studio meddling.

It's not like this is a newcomer either. Motherfucker has how many comic book movies on his belt? Should've known better, both him and the studio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Squinty posted:

Unless WB promised him 3 hours and pulled the rug at the last minute, there's no way Snyder actually expected they'd let him release a cut that long into theaters. You aim for 120 minutes and you're ecstatic if the studio lets you go over. If he couldn't come up with a coherent edit, that sounds more like a failure of planning than studio meddling.

You're right; Snyder made a deal to let the studio do whatever they wanted with the theatrical release, as long as he got the final cut on the dvd.

"I don’t wanna say I was in a battle with the studio but I was probably more headstrong on that movie because the material was so important to me. And then they promised me that they would make this director’s cut and that was where the deal was made. I was like, ‘okay, I’ll get you [the time you want].’"

So the dvd version was always intended as the 'real' version.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You're right; Snyder made a deal to let the studio do whatever they wanted with the theatrical release, as long as he got the final cut on the dvd.

"I don’t wanna say I was in a battle with the studio but I was probably more headstrong on that movie because the material was so important to me. And then they promised me that they would make this director’s cut and that was where the deal was made"

Excuses. The studio cut is all we have to go on right now and by all accounts it's poo poo. The director's cut might elevate it somewhat but it's not going to suddenly turn into this remarkable work of art. Most people aren't going to be exposed to that cut anyway.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Doflamingo posted:

Excuses. The studio cut is all we have to go on right now and by all accounts it's poo poo. The director's cut might elevate it somewhat but it's not going to suddenly turn into this remarkable work of art. Most people aren't going to be exposed to that cut anyway.

Most people seem to enjoy the film as given.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

oddium posted:

the best part of the movie was this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw_o7XUX3fg

Best part of the movie for sure

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Doflamingo posted:

Actually, it's a pretty good movie. I saw it.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

computer parts posted:

Most people seem to enjoy the film as given.

Do you think most people enjoyed Man of Steel, as well?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Yeah, BvS is not terrible. It is aggressively okay. I think BvS is getting the Age of Ultron treatment, where a movie that is just okay is derided as THE WORST, because expectations were very high, so a mediocre movie feels even worse than it objectively might be.

There is really no excuse for some of the very bad CGI and editing in this movie though. Baffling how that happened. Eisenberg is beyond awful too, but that is more of an opinion than the first part. There were lots of mistakes and dropped balls with BvS, but it is still watchable.

I would still probably save my money and time until the DVD release, but if you've got a lot of both, then go for it in theaters.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 26, 2016

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Actually, it's a pretty good movie. I saw it.

I don't see how anyone can like a laughably useless Lois Lane, Batman acting like a rampaging idiot and Superman being the soggiest noodle ever but ok. Agree to disagree.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Doflamingo posted:

It made what, $700 million? Seems like it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

computer parts posted:

It made what, $700 million? Seems like it.

It was only in the high 200 mil range in the US though. Which is not objectively bad, but definitely under-performing for one of the biggest superheros of all time.

Also, kind of funny that "truth, justice, and the American way" is significantly less popular in the US than outside of it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Doflamingo posted:

I don't see how anyone can like a laughably useless Lois Lane, Batman acting like a rampaging idiot and Superman being the soggiest noodle ever

Then sit, friend - and listen!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It was only in the high 200 mil range in the US though. Which is not objectively bad, but definitely under-performing for one of the biggest superheros of all time.

It made just under $300 million in the US. For reference, Superman Returns made just about exactly $200 million, and Batman Begins made the same amount.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Doflamingo posted:

[the sound of Megaman's Jockstrap breathlessly approaching the thread, CinemaScore in hand]

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Doflamingo posted:

I don't see how anyone can like a laughably useless Lois Lane, Batman acting like a rampaging idiot and Superman being the soggiest noodle ever but ok. Agree to disagree

This post makes no sense. I get that you thought movie = bad but the words you used are nonsense.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Doflamingo posted:

Yes.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Batman vs Superman:

The Good:

-Excellent fight scenes
-Wonder Woman and Batfleck were great in their roles and I want to see more
-Jessie Eisenberg did an amazing take on Lex
-Doomsday felt deadly, a rarity for CGI blobs
-Very pretty colours and scenery
-The score was well done
-Mama Kent was the soul of that movie

The Bad:

This movie is long. Could have been edited down a lot.
-Superman. I like Henry Cavill but he felt like a hanger on to his own movie.
-Dream sequences that went on and on. Bleh
-Needed more time with Kent and Lois as them. Superman and Lois felt rushed and left Superman looking like a whiney loser.

Deduction; not as terrible as I first thought. If you like super hero movies, it's at least better than Green Lantern.

I agree with this whole post. Lol at the guy who called Eisenburg "beyond awful". Superman did feel like a hanger on... It's like they went out of their way to not show him in certain scenes, it reminded me of how the TV show Supergirl goes out of the way to not mention Superman

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 26, 2016

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This post makes no sense.

The movie made no sense. Why couldn't Lois Lane grab the spear on her own? Did she really need saving twice in the same movie? Why did Batman shoot a tracking device at the truck then go Mad Max on it instead of waiting? Why did he shoot the tracking device to begin with instead of grabbing the kryptonite straight from the ship? Why did Superman immediately succumb to Lex's threat instead of using his super powers to locate his mom? Couldn't he have just thrown the spear at Doomsday? I mean did he really have to suicide bomb the fucker? Why did Lex take the time to design neat logos for all the meta humans? How did Bruce and Diana happen to meet at the museum thingy? What was Lex's purpose in bombing Capitol Hill? The senator wasn't a threat and he didn't try to frame Superman for it like any normal person watching the film would expect him to. What the hell did Lex think Doomsday would do if it wins? Holy poo poo why did they kill Jimmy Olsen so needlessly? I think the Flash warning Batman in a dream when they haven't even met yet is kinda weird, don't you? Why didn't Zod use Doomsday in the first film since it was there all along?

And a bunch of other stuff that I'm probably forgetting.

Doflamingo fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 26, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Doflamingo posted:

The movie made no sense. Why couldn't Lois Lane grab the spear on her own? Why did Batman shoot a tracking device at the truck then go Mad Max on it instead of waiting? Why did he shoot the tracking device to begin with instead of grabbing the kryptonite straight from the ship? Why did Superman immediately succumb to Lex's threat instead of using his super powers to locate his mom? Couldn't he have just thrown the spear at Doomsday? I mean did he really have to suicide bomb the fucker? Why did Lex take the time to design neat logos for all the meta humans? How did Bruce and Diana happen to meet at the museum thingy? What was Lex's purpose in bombing Capitol Hill? The senator wasn't a threat and he didn't try to frame Superman for it like any normal person watching the film would expect him to. What the hell did Lex think Doomsday would do if it wins? Holy poo poo why did they kill Jimmy Olsen so needlessly? I think the Flash warning Batman in a dream when they haven't even met yet is kinda weird, don't you? Why didn't Zod use Doomsday in the first film since it was there all along?

And a bunch of other stuff that I'm probably forgetting.

Lois would die before she got close enough to stab Doomsday, because once they unloaded the truck he wouldn't know where the kryptonite was, drama, because he might miss, probably not but again drama, because Lex is insane, Diana tracked Bruce to the museum to return the hard drive, to gently caress with Superman, Lex was insane, drama, yeah that was weird, Zod is Doomsday.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 26, 2016

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Zod is Doomsday.

He had other Kryptonians with him that would've gladly given their lives for the cause I'm sure. What about all the other points? Oh, and I just thought of another dumb thing: so Metropolis is getting its poo poo kicked by a world destroying machine and everyone at the Wayne building feels the need to wait for confirmation from the man himself before escaping? What the hell kind of operation was Wayne running there? It was beyond stupid.

Doflamingo fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 26, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I can't argue your points but I was criticizing your word choice, not your actual opinion. You're right on basically all of that, though I suggest spoiling it. BvS feels like it had too many people involved in making it. All the little subplots would have made for great TV but in a movie setting its just a billion loose threads.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Wait, do they really kill Jimmy Olsen?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Doflamingo posted:

He had other Kryptonians with him that would've gladly given their lives for the cause I'm sure. What about all the other points? Oh, and I just thought of another dumb thing: so Metropolis is getting its poo poo kicked by a world destroying machine and everyone at the Wayne building feels the need to wait for confirmation from the man himself before escaping? What the hell kind of operation was Wayne running there? It was beyond stupid.

Doomsday was created by mixing human and kryptonian blood, Zod 1) probably didn't know that would happen and 2) would have thought it an abhorrent crime against nature if he did.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Phylodox posted:

Apparently, yes.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Phylodox posted:

About one minute after his introduction, yes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Okay most of that you wrote just betrays the fact you were not paying attention to literally anything that happened in the movie, but only one thing needs to be addressed.

Why didn't Luthor try to frame Superman for blowing up Capitol Hill?

First let me explain why this is a point that needs to be addressed instead of you just not paying attention. Because this is something that a lot of people seem confused about. Like, a lot of people. I don't know why, but I guess they don't like to apply any level of critical thinking to their big shoot punch movies.

There is no way in hell in any conceivable fashion Lex was going to frame Supes for destroying the Capitol. Maybe if he already had Doomsday or a Superman clone he could/would have, but that had nothing to do with what he wanted and it would have just given the wrong impression and the wrong attention.

First and foremost- the building exploded. That means that there was a bomb. Superman, for all of his powers demonstrated in the movies, does not have Explosion Powers. He cannot randomly blow the gently caress up.

Further, anyone, *ANYONE*, with any level of training or basic intelligence would be able to figure out that the source of the explosion was not at Superman, but instead at whatever remained at the wheel chair. Because this was not a magic bomb that teleported from one place to another before exploding, it went off from over there and is easily traced back as such. So easily, in fact, that they don't even have to explain that fact because it's common sense.

Even further along than that, no one is going to think Superman was responsible for blowing up the wheel chair because even if he did, it wouldn't have blown up like that. There would have HAD to of been a bomb in the wheel chair for it to do the damage it did, which is not something Superman is known to have or use.

Basically the plot would have to poo poo itself and break its back to bend over backwards to try and justify Luthor even ATTEMPTING to frame Superman for this.

Because that wasn't the intent or the point. The point was to silence the Senator, to put Superman in a negative light, to demoralize Superman, and to further gently caress with Batman. Here's what Bruce got out of the whole thing- he didn't get that Superman killed those people, he got that Superman EXISTING killed those people.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 26, 2016

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Phylodox posted:

Note that this Jimmy Olsen is some kind of CIA agent posing as a photo journalist. You wouldn't even know his name if it wasn't for the credits.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mierenneuker posted:

Note that this Jimmy Olsen is some kind of CIA agent posing as a photo journalist. You wouldn't even know his name if it wasn't for the credits.

He is given an introduction in the extended cut.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Phylodox posted:

It's all right, that was just his brother, James Olsen

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Doomsday was created by mixing human and kryptonian blood, Zod 1) probably didn't know that would happen and 2) would have thought it an abhorrent crime against nature if he did.

1) Yes he did because he had access to the same Kryptonian archives that Lex learned it from.
2) You really think so? This guy was a zealot. More likely he would've done anything to win- case in point he already did a lot of truly abhorrent poo poo both on Earth and Krypton.

Doflamingo fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 26, 2016

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mierenneuker posted:

Oh. Okay.

It's gonna be so surreal when Deadpool turns out to be the best comic book movie of 2016.

Deadpool.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Phylodox posted:

Oh. Okay.

It's gonna be so surreal when Deadpool turns out to be the best comic book movie of 2016.

Deadpool.

It's well deserved at least, if not for being the greatest movie ever then for being made in the first place

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

This extended cut is really becoming everyone's go-to for shortcomings with the film.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Oh. Okay.

Deadpool.

Civil War and Suicide Squad look pretty good so far.

Everything shown and said so far about Dr. Strange sounds great.

X-Men: Apocalypse could go either way.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The Dave posted:

This extended cut is really becoming everyone's go-to for shortcomings with the film.

Kingdom of Heaven really opened my eyes to how big a difference extending a movie can make, though I'm not quite as willing as some to credit a cut of a movie I've never seen. The theatrical cut is good enough that a longer cut is at least promising.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Doflamingo posted:

1) Yes he did because he had access to the same Kryptonian archives that Lex learned it from.
2) Are you kidding me? This guy was a zealot. More likely he would've done anything to win- case in point he already did a lot of truly abhorrent poo poo both on Earth and Krypton.

If you think Zod would have ever allowed the creation of Doomsday, you have no loving idea how the character operates or worked on any single level.

Zod was a zealot yes, but he was a zealot for what he perceived as Kryptonian Purity. Like, HIS IDEAL Kryptonian Purity.

Clark, despite being totally Kryptonian, was conceived through natural birth and Zod viewed him as an abomination best killed for it.

Zod despised the idea of altering what and who Kryptonians were so much that he was more than happy to completely reboot the planet Earth so that they WOULDN'T get rad super powers, despite that being something they'd easily get over and would make them near invincible as a species.

Doomsday would be the ultimate heresy in his eyes, a total and complete abomination that should never be allowed to exist.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Squinty posted:

Movies like this rarely have such tight pre-production that they can just say "here's a script we're happy with, it's 120 pages long, we're going to shoot that and it should be around two hours"- the studio always wants stuff in to hit all the quadrants and here they're trying to set up the DC Cinematic Universe so you have to have certain things in it to foreshadow other things, etc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Dave posted:

Well, it's inevitable, it always is when this sort of thing happens. However that doesn't mean it is necessarily wrong. I think it's premature to claim 'the extended cut will fix everything" without seeing it though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Doflamingo posted:

Oh, and I just thought of another dumb thing: so Metropolis is getting its poo poo kicked by a world destroying machine and everyone at the Wayne building feels the need to wait for confirmation from the man himself before escaping? What the hell kind of operation was Wayne running there? It was beyond stupid.

The movie opened in theaters on the same day as the Triangle Fire. :tinfoil:

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/triangle-shirtwaist-fire-in-new-york-city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Lex, Doomsday, and Lois were definitely the worst parts of the movie for me.
Lex was an unfunny imbecile that tried too hard to channel the Joker or The Riddler and just came off as a pseudo-intellectual twat that loves making stupid quips, Doomsday was a mess of CGI and should have never been put into the movie, and Lois was useless as usual... what a waste of Amy Adams.

I'd probably give the overall movie like a 50/100, I liked it slightly more than Man of Steel but it retained literally every issue it had.
Difference being this featured the best Batman/Bruce we're likely ever get, an awesome Alfred, and a great Wonder Woman to accompany the shambling corpses that is the rest of the cast.

The first half was really great, when it was actually trying to say something instead of devolving into one silly cataclysmic battle sequence after the next.
I wasn't really into any of the action sequences, it felt like I was watching a live action Dragon Ball Z and it was just so bad.

But, I will say that most it was pretty to look at, which is all that matters for Zack Snyder really.

I wasn't crazy about the Justice League shoe-horn but this is what DC wants to do so I guess I have no choice but to accept it and hope that the rest of the DCCU is smoother sailing from here on out now that the whole "HEYS GUYS WE'RE DOING OUR OWN HUGE COMIC BOOK MOVIE UNIVERSE NOW TOO" announcement is over with.

I have no real interest in Suicide Squad but I really hope Wonder Woman is good, it has a great lead already so now they just need to give her a comprehensible origin and hopefully surround her with equally interesting characters and not a bunch of archetypes.

Overall, it wasn't really as horrible I was led to believe but it was still pretty bad.

• Locked thread