Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake.

Yeah, I think the recommended weight in the fsm is 5, but the stock springs are also appropriate for a sub-65 lb rider at most.
SV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

XJ600. I think it's common across the big 4 though, at least in most non-supersport models in the 90s anyhow.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
So what's the lowdown on upgraded exhausts providing more power? Some places say without a remap they actually make things worse.

My understanding is that off-the-shelf bikes run very lean, so adding a new exhaust with higher flow can add power, but this is restricted by the lean fueling. Only after a re-map can you get the most out of the new exhaust.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake.

The real reason funny front ends are good: they all use shocks :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Barnsy posted:

So what's the lowdown on upgraded exhausts providing more power? Some places say without a remap they actually make things worse.

My understanding is that off-the-shelf bikes run very lean, so adding a new exhaust with higher flow can add power, but this is restricted by the lean fueling. Only after a re-map can you get the most out of the new exhaust.

It's a very long, long post that I'll cut short here by just saying - yes, any aftermarket exhaust without the correct fueling adjustments is making your bike run worse on anything under EPA restrictions.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Barnsy posted:

Down the page here you can see a summary of a feb 08 test done by the Germans at motorrad news that says mostly new cans are worse. But, it's worth noting that if you're really looking for performance it's an easy place to lose weight (also worth noting, if you clock in at 290 +fedora like most goons then it's not the bike) and it usually sounds better which is how I've generally seen it justified.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Barnsy posted:

A bike without an O2 sensor but with a higher-flow silencer will run even leaner, due to lack of back-pressure, and that's a recipe for toasting your exhaust valves or possibly even just grenading your engine. Unless the bike's fueling was way out of whack to start with, running leaner is very unlikely to increase power. The whole point is that the less back-pressure, the more air (and hence fuel) you can get into the cylinder on each stroke and that's where you get the power increase. If you're not putting in more fuel, then you're not likely to see more power if the bike was set up right to start with.

Now more advanced EFI systems *can* cope with that lean running and will liberate more power without a remap but even then it's not that simple - some bikes use the exhaust geometry, including the silencer, to help scavenge exhaust gases (in the same way a 2-stroke expansion chamber works but less so) and pissing that about can make things worse.

(Of course even that is a simplification because generally engines are running a little lean of perfect and so just a remap on it's own can increase power, and also catalytic converters and power valves throw even more complication into the mix. The general point though is that no, without some sort of change to the fueling, the loudest exhaust in the world isn't going to add any more power and could end up being full of fairly important engine bits)

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

My new-to-me SV1k has a big M4 can on it, and it's just sort of floating at the moment. The lack of reinforcement kind of worries me. Is there somewhere I can begin looking for a mount that would keep it firmly in place, maybe to the passenger footpeg mount?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Tuono has been reluctant to start lately... Went to start this morning and it just could not get there. I had the little fake choke lever open all the way as usual, and cracked the throttle. It would engage and then puff some smoke out the pipe and then fail to turn over. After a couple rounds of this I probably flooded the engine and now it does this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsSxGZzaDVo

Do I need to drag it to a shop to have a look? I'm sure if I let it chill for a bit I could get it limping back to how it was starting earlier in the week-- but I'd like to address the root issue if possible

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Razzled posted:

Tuono has been reluctant to start lately... Went to start this morning and it just could not get there. I had the little fake choke lever open all the way as usual, and cracked the throttle. It would engage and then puff some smoke out the pipe and then fail to turn over. After a couple rounds of this I probably flooded the engine and now it does this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsSxGZzaDVo

Do I need to drag it to a shop to have a look? I'm sure if I let it chill for a bit I could get it limping back to how it was starting earlier in the week-- but I'd like to address the root issue if possible

It's not exactly 0 degree Celsius out, is it?

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Do you have a battery tender?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Yeah I tended it yesterday to full, it's also a brand new battery.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Probably flooded and only time will mend it. It's happened with my falco a couple times and I've waited it out

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Razzled posted:

I had the little fake choke lever open all the way as usual, and cracked the throttle.

Are you always doing this? Cause uh, totally different fuelling system but I know if I fully engage choke and crack the throttle at the same time it floods and kills it immediately when either one alone would have started it.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Soooo I'm trying to start this bike. I replaced all the fuel lines and cleaned the carbs and all that extremely fun stuff, but when I try to start it, I get no fuel moving through the lines. The petcock has no OFF setting, just ON, RES, and PRIME, and I've got the choke open. I know starting for the first time you need to let the float bowls fill a bit, but the fuel just isn't leaving the tank (or at least it doesn't look like it). The fuel lines are translucent.

It's an '88 KATANA for which I paid $400, and it has 4 carbs that are sitting there mocking me as they seemingly drink no fuel at all. Any suggestions? Unplug the vacuum hose from the carb and suck on it? Take off the tank and rig a temp fuel bottle? Sell the plastics and the parts till I make all my money back?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Dumb question, did you set the petcock to PRIME?

If you did and it's still not working, test it by pulling the hose and applying some negative pressure to try and draw fuel through. If it doesn't want to come out then your petcock is hosed and you're out $60-70 for a replacement.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 26, 2016

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Renaissance Robot posted:

Dumb question, did you set the petcock to PRIME?

If you did and it's still not working, test it by pulling the hose and applying some negative pressure to try and draw fuel through. If it doesn't want to come out then your petcock is hosed and you're out $60-70 for a replacement.

Yeah, I did, for a while. I may have to take apart the petcock. Luckily I didn't put too much fuel in the tank (I did put enough so that it can draw from the reserve or the main straws).

I will try different methods of drawing fuel out of the thing after I get back from Chris's house.

(the other Chris)

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
My Triumph Scrambler sidecar rig's rear suspension is having issues. There's a lot of stiction/static friction on the rear, especially if it's been sitting for a while. I can almost get my entire weight on the foot peg before it feels like something breaks loose again. Then it's fine, until it sits without moving for a certain amount of time. That amount of time used to be weeks, now it's hours or minutes.

I took the swingarm out and inspected the bearings, bushings and swingarm... axle for lack of a better word. Everything looked okay, the needle bearing was a little resistant but not gritty, so I cleaned and regreased it.

After reassembly of the swingarm, before installing the shocks, I swept the swingarm through its entire range of travel and it was very, very smooth, no binding. Also checked for play and didn't feel any.

Shocks back on, bike back on the ground and it's doing the same thing. The only thing that hasn't been looked at are my shocks - could I have destroyed an inner bushing and it's binding? No oil is leaking out but the stiction is really bad. They are Works Performance shocks with ~15k miles, never been serviced.

Anything else I should look at?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Skier posted:

My Triumph Scrambler sidecar rig's rear suspension is having issues. There's a lot of stiction/static friction on the rear, especially if it's been sitting for a while. I can almost get my entire weight on the foot peg before it feels like something breaks loose again. Then it's fine, until it sits without moving for a certain amount of time. That amount of time used to be weeks, now it's hours or minutes.

I took the swingarm out and inspected the bearings, bushings and swingarm... axle for lack of a better word. Everything looked okay, the needle bearing was a little resistant but not gritty, so I cleaned and regreased it.

After reassembly of the swingarm, before installing the shocks, I swept the swingarm through its entire range of travel and it was very, very smooth, no binding. Also checked for play and didn't feel any.

Shocks back on, bike back on the ground and it's doing the same thing. The only thing that hasn't been looked at are my shocks - could I have destroyed an inner bushing and it's binding? No oil is leaking out but the stiction is really bad. They are Works Performance shocks with ~15k miles, never been serviced.

Anything else I should look at?

I'd have looked at the shocks *way* before stripping the swingarm. Sounds like the valves are knackered to me, or possibly just the oil has gone to poo poo.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I've been reading all of the motorcycle books suggested on this forum lately. It seems like some of the advice in the books contradict each other.

Is it best to apply maintenance throttle simultaneously while leaning the bike or only when steering is completed?

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 27, 2016

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Re: exhaust chat

Does remapping apply even when just upgrading stock exhaust can to slip-on, or is it only recommend for when the entire system is upgraded?

I've been looking at a slip-on Yoshi to replace the gargantuan stock pipe on my '06 GSXR, but have been putting it off because I know nothing about remapping, and the local shop wants an arm, leg and my first born to do it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zipperelli. posted:

Re: exhaust chat

Does remapping apply even when just upgrading stock exhaust can to slip-on, or is it only recommend for when the entire system is upgraded?

I've been looking at a slip-on Yoshi to replace the gargantuan stock pipe on my '06 GSXR, but have been putting it off because I know nothing about remapping, and the local shop wants an arm, leg and my first born to do it.

Check what the exhaust manufacturer says. The silencer (and the cat, on newer bikes) are easily the biggest influence on the exhaust system's performance so new ones can be anywhere from no change to "Say good bye to your eardrums and your exhaust valves".

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Partial Octopus posted:

I've been reading all of the motorcycle books suggested on this forum lately. It seems like some of the advice in the books contradict each other.

Is it best to apply maintenance throttle simultaneously while leaning the bike or only when steering is completed?

There should never be a time when you aren't giving either throttle or brake input. As soon as you're off the brakes, you should be giving some kind of throttle.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

The time has come for new tires and some chain maintenance on my Tuono v4. I have a HF motorcycle jack left over from my 690, but it doesn't look like it's gonna play nice with the underside/exhaust of the Aprilia. What should I be looking for in a swingarm/front fork stand set? Are eBay cheapo sets i.e. this or this a waste of time? Stuff on Aprilia-specific sites are $$$$ to the point where I might as ride the bike in to have them pull and remount the wheels themselves and pay the extra ~$25/tire.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Koruthaiolos posted:

There should never be a time when you aren't giving either throttle or brake input. As soon as you're off the brakes, you should be giving some kind of throttle.

*loses control of stopped bike on MSF course, throttle pinned, flinging it into the group of other riders, several casualties ensue*
Instructor: "What the the gently caress happened?! Why did you do that??"
:downs:: "I read on the Internet that as soon as I was off the brakes I should be giving throttle input."

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

The time has come for new tires and some chain maintenance on my Tuono v4. I have a HF motorcycle jack left over from my 690, but it doesn't look like it's gonna play nice with the underside/exhaust of the Aprilia. What should I be looking for in a swingarm/front fork stand set? Are eBay cheapo sets i.e. this or this a waste of time? Stuff on Aprilia-specific sites are $$$$ to the point where I might as ride the bike in to have them pull and remount the wheels themselves and pay the extra ~$25/tire.

You had the cash for a Tuono v4, just buy a god drat set of pitbull stands already.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Z3n posted:

It's a very long, long post that I'll cut short here by just saying - yes, any aftermarket exhaust without the correct fueling adjustments is making your bike run worse on anything under EPA restrictions.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. So presumably, all those torque/power curves advertised by exhaust constructors are done after a remap?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Linedance posted:

*loses control of stopped bike on MSF course, throttle pinned, flinging it into the group of other riders, several casualties ensue*
Instructor: "What the the gently caress happened?! Why did you do that??"
:downs:: "I read on the Internet that as soon as I was off the brakes I should be giving throttle input."
Yeah that was gonna be my response to that. That was racing advice, not riding advice.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Barnsy posted:

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. So presumably, all those torque/power curves advertised by exhaust constructors are done after a remap?

I'd always assume that any torque/power curve advertised by a third-party manufacturer has a 20% chance of representing a stock bike with their modification in a perfect state of tune, and an 80% chance of being entirely made up. Half the time the graphs don't even have numbers.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Partial Octopus posted:

Arrows in a quiver, man.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Partial Octopus posted:

Frankly I tried that and it just doesn't feel right and tends to unsettle the bike. I'm a track noob though so :/

Based on looking at too much racing footage, I'd say after the turn in is when most get their throttle on.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Brake and select exit gear, look in, tip in, throttle on. was the process I was told.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Slow look lean roll - that was what I was taught at the msf. Always either on throttle or brakes is what I was taught at the track.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

It's also going to depend on the bike you're on. The engine braking on my DRZ is like hitting the rear brake.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah and the Ulysses will coast forever. Had to get used to that.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Maintenance throttle after braking is completed. Not necessarily acceleration, but at least feeding it enough to keep the suspension balanced.

But yeah, depends on the bike and the curve.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
ZRX engine braking drat near pulls your arm out of the socket.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

ZRX engine braking drat near pulls your arm out of the socket.

I thought this and then I rode an RC51.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

It's really good on my FZ. Like I don't even need to use the brakes except for stop lights and stuff. And not even really then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

It's really good on my FZ. Like I don't even need to use the brakes except for stop lights and stuff. And not even really then

Yeah, on mine I usually would just tap the rear brakes enough to switch the brake light on so inattentive drivers behind me didn't plow into my rear end, unless I was coming to an actual stop.