Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
I'd say its more good than bad and if you're slightly interested in it, go see it. It has problems but the 30% on RT is ridiculous and I'm glad I wasn't put off by that.

One thing (among many) that gave the sense of the movie being structurally not well planned is that title card towards the beginning: "Metropolis: the day humanity was introduced to the Superman." I thought that was setting us up for chapters with cool titles like a Tarantino movie. It was never revisited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Also, is Gotham part of Metropolis now? Or they are right next to eachother? Lois Lane could see the bat signal from the top of the Daily Planet building. So then Superman just ignores Gotham?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Also, is Gotham part of Metropolis now? Or they are right next to eachother? Lois Lane could see the bat signal from the top of the Daily Planet building. So then Superman just ignores Gotham?

They are supposed to be like New Jersey and NYC; where one is just across the river. Although it makes Man of Steel's geography really weird retroactively.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Terrible Horse posted:

One thing (among many) that gave the sense of the movie being structurally not well planned is that title card towards the beginning: "Metropolis: the day humanity was introduced to the Superman." I thought that was setting us up for chapters with cool titles like a Tarantino movie. It was never revisited.

Though, to the movie's credit, that whole sequence is incredible. On its own, a much better take on the material, though I get why you couldn't present it that way in Man of Steel.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

Though, to the movie's credit, that whole sequence is incredible. On its own, a much better take on the material, though I get why you couldn't present it that way in Man of Steel.

Yeah, I loved it. I just wish they kept going with the title motif. "Gotham: City of Fear." "Mr. Luthor's Painting" etc

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They are supposed to be like New Jersey and NYC; where one is just across the river. Although it makes Man of Steel's geography really weird retroactively.

Or the example Snyder used, San Francisco and Oakland.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just saw BvS. I was expecting it to be decent, I ended up loving it.

Luthor really is the weakest part of the movie. I get the whole Silicon Valley archetype they were going for and I appreciate that in concept (just like I appreciate the meta silliness of casting Eisenberg as that) but I found his performance too wacky, but also a lot of the weakest plot points of the movie are tied into him. But that's really my biggest quarrel.

For a Justice League setup, Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman was great. The friend I saw it with, who is not a comics fan at all, said it actually made her want to see a Wonder Woman movie.

I wish I could say that it's unbelievable it has such a low score on pretty much every website but given that Marvel fans had decided years ago that it was going to be terrible, and given from the few reviews I read most people (as with MoS) just didn't pay attention at all to what was happening on screen, I guess it's to be expected.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's completely disjointed, and scenes do not flow into each other causing a massive disconnect between the film and the viewer. No sense of pacing or urgency.
The film stops during the height of the tension to show us videos of the Justice League. Not to mention story beats that are stretched and over complicated.
Fair enough if you like it, but there are some serious issues with the film as a whole.

It has very little to do with Marvel outside of maybe that they should've taken the Marvel approach and take their time, or just go double down on The Justice League and gently caress the build up.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Deadline is reporting that BvS is gearing to become the best opening in WB's story

quote:

After a spell of big-budget disasters last year from Jupiter Ascending to Pan, cash is finally raining on the Warner Bros. lot in Burbank, CA as Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is set to post the biggest pre-summer opening day ($82M, beating Furious 7‘s $67.4M) and weekend ($170M, outstripping The Hunger Games’ $152.5M). Heck, BvS is poised to be Warner Bros. best opening of all-time, beating Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 ($169.2M), and even The Dark Knight Rises ($160.9M) and The Dark Knight ($158.4M). In 4,242 theaters, BvS is the widest pre-May release and new record-holder for top March and Easter debuts. Reported yesterday: Flash grosses show BvS winning over China with $21.2M. Add that to the two-day $44M tally and the pic’s foreign cume is north of $65M.

That has to be good news, right?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

So Superman ignored Batman for all this time? The Joker? I believe Alfred mentions offhand that him and Bruce have been fighting crime for 20 years

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Not if you don't like Snyder at the helm.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

So Superman ignored Batman for all this time? The Joker? I believe Alfred mentions offhand that him and Bruce have been fighting crime for 20 years

He's only been Superman for 2 years. He was bumming around Alaska or whatever.

We don't know the timeline but it seems like Joker and Batman's heyday (and Robin's death) might have been taking place when Clark was 15 or so.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Deadline is reporting that BvS is gearing to become the best opening in WB's story

It's certainly not *bad* news, but it's not enormously meaningful news in and of itself. Friday->Saturday drop and overall legs are more important.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Clark Kent tries to tackle the issue in the paper, but gets shut down. "No one wants to see Clark Kent take on the goddamn Batman" Superman ignores it until Bats goes totally loving bonkers blowing up and shooting the harbor with no regard.

Terrible Horse posted:

He's only been Superman for 2 years. He was bumming around Alaska or whatever.

We don't know the timeline but it seems like Joker and Batman's heyday (and Robin's death) might have been taking place when Clark was 15 or so.

Yeah, also this, it seems implied that Batman was retired until Superman v Zod.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It's interesting because the primary complaint of the movie is that it's overstuffed, yet the Justice League tie-in stuff is actually the most well received (at least the Wonder Woman stuff).

This is probably the worst of it (length wise) though, the origin movies probably won't introduce as much and Justice League won't have to introduce any new characters. Maybe Part 1 will be a little hairy because they have to introduce Darkseid (I assume).

e: I hadn't realized we just had Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman before Justice League 1 (which is next fall). Yeah this is going to be interesting.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 27, 2016

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Have some more from Valerian. Extras this time, I think:

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
That movie looks fuckin killer.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

sign me up for weird space poo poo please

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
EDIT: wrong thread

Alvarez IV fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 27, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hell yes.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Alvarez IV posted:

My big complaints with the movie involve the Doomsday fight. Took me right out of the movie when they shoehorned in through voiceover the fact that it was taking place in the "totally uninhabited" part of town. Have some balls.

I actually loved this line, along with Wonder Woman incredulously going, "Why did you lead him back into the city!?" It's so obviously directed at the people who bitched about "Superman killed so many people by letting Zod fight him in a city!" So Snyder decided to go out of his way to deflate them. And I don't think it's a cop-out when the first part of the movie not only doesn't reject, but embraces how many people were killed in the Metropolis battle from MoS. They specifically say thousands died, way more than "hundreds" or however many were supposed to have died in Avengers if you managed to freeze the right frame to read the tiny newspaper print in that one episode of Daredevil.

Alvarez IV posted:

Granted, I didn't like any of the Reeves movies, and especially hated Returns, so I guess I'm some other demographic entirely.

I watched the Reeves movies for the first time last year (at least the first two, plus the Donner cut of II) and was struck by how I really didn't like them.

Also, Superman in Superman II outright kills Zod, as well as deliberately fights him in the middle of a city, so I really didn't understand why no one who hates those things in MoS seem to spew the same vitriol towards the Reeves movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Chairman Capone posted:

I watched the Reeves movies for the first time last year (at least the first two, plus the Donner cut of II) and was struck by how I really didn't like them.

Also, Superman in Superman II outright kills Zod, as well as deliberately fights him in the middle of a city, so I really didn't understand why no one who hates those things in MoS seem to spew the same vitriol towards the Reeves movies.

Tone.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Bizarre you that you think killing while cracking wise is somehow lighthearted.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bizarre you honestly don't.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Murder is bad.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

wyoming posted:

Bizarre you that you think killing while cracking wise is somehow lighthearted.

Works for Tony Stark.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

wyoming posted:

Murder is bad.

In real life, sure. In movies, it's whatever the filmmaker intends it to be. And I guess if you're very anti-violence, I can see it bothering you. But I'm not.

Fun!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXjfvx-k1Ms

Not so fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBSQEnvz6zo

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

limiting or ignoring the impact of death or murder is problematic, yes. but being problematic doesn't suddently mean it doesn't happen.

so yeah, it does make it "lighthearted", and yeah, it's ok to be unhappy with that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's cool to feel whatever you want.

But you can't deny that tone changes things for people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxA5ECu2u3A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_93l5q7AWDM

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Making murder fun is the definition of dark humour, just because you chuckle doesn't make it light hearted. Also Arnie is the villain in Predator.

Not to say that, Iron Man is dark comedy, it's just a power fantasy that has super loving bleak implications that movie doesn't touch, I find that far more disturbing than it taking everything out of Superman to kill Zod.

Like that scene where he wastes ten guys with precision and leaves the last guy to get torn apart of innocent people. No amount of smug can't make that fun.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Just got back from BvS, thought it was quite good. Definitely not perfect, but I liked it much more than I was expecting to (for the record, I'm lukewarm towards Man of Steel). I suspect SMG is right in thinking that the extended cut will end up being an improvement.

Question - during Batman's dream sequence, who is the dude that shows up to yell warnings at him? I got the impression he was a time-traveller (or at least it was a message from the future) who arrived too early, but I had a hard time making out what he was saying. Is it someone that comic book fans would recognize?

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 27, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Daveski posted:

Just got back from BvS, thought it was quite good. Definitely not perfect, but I liked it much more than I was expecting to (for the record, I'm lukewarm towards Man of Steel). I suspect SMG is right in thinking that the extended cut will end up being an improvement.

Question - during Batman's dream sequence, who is the dude that shows up to yell warnings at him? I got the impression he was a time-traveller (or at least it was a message from the future) who arrived too early, but I had a hard time making out what he was saying. Is it someone that comic book fans would recognize?

The Flash.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Daveski posted:

We see him later in the film It's the Flash, notice the lightning around him poking his head out of time/using his power to dropkick the guy holding up the corner store. He says some ambiguous things, about Batman being right about "him" and Lois being a key, but the finishes up with "Am I too early?" So yeah, time traveling Flash.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Ah okay, I kind of thought it was him at first but didn't fully make the connection I guess. Thanks!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Doflamingo posted:

1) Yes he did because he had access to the same Kryptonian archives that Lex learned it from.
2) You really think so? This guy was a zealot. More likely he would've done anything to win- case in point he already did a lot of truly abhorrent poo poo both on Earth and Krypton.

In MOS Zod pops out of his prison and instead of moving on and living his life, since his planet and laws are dead, he continues to follow and enforce those laws. Like travels to another planet and enforces kryptonian law because it was his only purpose for existing. That guy would not pull the sneaky poo poo Lex pulled to get the ship to obey him. The ship would have told Zod it was against the law and Zod would have accepted it in an instant zero questions asked.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 27, 2016

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

bring back old gbs posted:

In MOS Zod pops out of his prison and instead of moving on and living his life, since his planet and laws are dead, he continues to follow and enforce those laws. Like travels to another planet and enforces kryptonian law because it was his only purpose of existing. That guy would not pull the sneaky poo poo Lex pulled to get the ship to obey him. The ship would has told Zod it was against the law and Zod would have accepted it in an instant zero questions asked.

If only they would have explained this to us better!

Jor-El: We've had a child, Zod. A boy child. Krypton's first natural birth in centuries, and he will be free, free to forge his own destiny.
General Zod: Heresy! Destroy it!

General Zod: Your father equipped himself with great honor Kal.
Superman: You killed my father?
General Zod: I did. And not a day goes by that it does not haunt me. But if I had to do it again I would. I have a duty to my people, and I will not allow anyone to prevent me from carrying it out!

General Zod: Look at this. We could have built a new Krypton in this squalor, but you chose the humans over us. I exist only to protect Krypton. That is the sole purpose for which I was born. And every action I take, no matter how violent or how cruel, is for the greater good of my people. And now... I have no people. My soul, that is what you have taken from me!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I'm down with Valerian.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Another member of Dane DeHaan crew checking in to register my support of Valerian

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

wyoming posted:

We see him later in the film It's the Flash, notice the lightning around him poking his head out of time/using his power to dropkick the guy holding up the corner store. He says some ambiguous things, about Batman being right about "him" and Lois being a key, but the finishes up with "Am I too early?" So yeah, time traveling Flash.

Two things that made this probably my least favorite scene: 1) teasing Justice League is fine, but having a completely unresolved bizarre scene in a standalone movie is just confusing. Marvel has been more successful at rewarding people for following the extended universe without making that mandatory in any given film. and 2)why would Flash speak so cryptically? You know you're travelling through time to warn someone about something, you know they aren't going to know what the hell's going on. Take a moment to get the elevator pitch right.

Also hope that's a special time travel suit, because it looked way too armored for Flash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
"I Loved Lucy" - the title of my review of Luc Besson's latter day work

• Locked thread