Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

NA. :(

Anyhow, the biggest things I need to work on are aiming for the head rather than the torso, good nade placement, and learning callouts so I'm not awkwardly stuttering, "One on the- at A, the boxes- big- no to the left- gently caress YOU DIED" and being useless. Also my AWPing is a bad joke. And I don't have a good sense of the comp eco/meta if I don't have someone on my team patiently telling me to buy or save on a given round.

But aside from THAT, ms. lincoln, how was the play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

If you want to aim better don't bother with the aim training maps. The bots don't shoot back, use cover or really move like players. Go into the server browser and type ffa in the search. ffa is just free for all so you can shoot ts and cts alike. Team deathmatch is a bit slow and ffa gets you the most fights in the shortest amount of time. Regular ffa deathmatch for ak/m4/awp/deaging and then the pistol one for usp, p2000 and glock. It will for a certainty be a baptism of fire but it does make you better at clicking heads and spraying. The pistol one will be easier to not get depressed in but spraying aks and m4s is important.

Just as a note you can "abuse" pistol dm by choosing a tec-9, cz etc but if you are body shotting people down in wild sprays while running you aren't getting much out of it because everyone has armor and the starting pistol people pretty much have to click your head. They probably won't say poo poo to you about it because for them its better practice to fight a raid boss pistol man so like feel free to do so. Its more to your benefit not to.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Is there any way to select which sticker you use for the pick 'em challenge? I want to use a regular sicker so I can throw the holo onto a gun. But I can't? :(

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Goofballs posted:

ak/m4/awp/deaging

This is the right answer but a better answer is to forego the AK entirely and instead become an SG god and reap buckets of tears as you abuse the easiest spray pattern in the game

the few times you're stuck with the AK you can just pretend you're scream and no-one will know how lovely your AK spray is

yes

Mukaikubo posted:

good nade placement, and learning callouts so I'm not awkwardly stuttering, "One on the- at A, the boxes- big- no to the left- gently caress YOU DIED" and being useless. Also my AWPing is a bad joke. And I don't have a good sense of the comp eco/meta if I don't have someone on my team patiently telling me to buy or save on a given round.

Most of these things (except the awping) will come in time as you just play the game more. Excepting setpiece smokes, you'll eventually grok the grenade physics and be able to just wing both smokes and flashes. For eco stuff, check the OP and the quoted posts by Jeza and Daeno for a solid rundown on how and when to buy in most situations, but the single most important piece of advice is probably:
NEVER BUY ANYTHING IN THESE ROUNDS WITHOUT LOOKING AT YOUR TEAM'S MONEY FIRST

Also consider playing a goonman every now and then to get some varied opposition and generally helpful and well-meaning teammates

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 26, 2016

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

fennesz posted:

Is there any way to select which sticker you use for the pick 'em challenge? I want to use a regular sicker so I can throw the holo onto a gun. But I can't? :(

pretty sure they have to be MLG Columbus stickers.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

fennesz posted:

Throw the holo on the gun first. Or put it up on the market for $50 or something before making your pick. If it sells in the meantime, great!! If it doesn't then take it down and put it back in your inventory after you've make your pick.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 26, 2016

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

fennesz posted:

As long as you don't fall into the habit of calling everyone who is better than you a hacker; you should be fine.

You also have to enjoy being owned hard. You should blame yourself more often than you blame your team. Don't think about how much wrong your team did, just recognize that if you had played much better, you would have won.
You have to think about all the moments you failed, and how you could have done better, and how that enemy who destroyed you round after round is a much better player than you (here it is important that you dont think they are a hacker), and you have to enjoy it.

Then once in a while you're allowed to blame your team, because it feels good to be angry and rage a little, but don't let it become a habit. If you lose several matches in a row and start thinking it was your teams fault every time, take a break or something.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
just remember that valve matchmaking is a joke of a system and you will probably see a lot of people you should never face but don't mention how terrible the matchmaking is or you'll make someone upset.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

lonter posted:

You also have to enjoy being owned hard. You should blame yourself more often than you blame your team. Don't think about how much wrong your team did, just recognize that if you had played much better, you would have won.
You have to think about all the moments you failed, and how you could have done better, and how that enemy who destroyed you round after round is a much better player than you (here it is important that you dont think they are a hacker), and you have to enjoy it.

Then once in a while you're allowed to blame your team, because it feels good to be angry and rage a little, but don't let it become a habit. If you lose several matches in a row and start thinking it was your teams fault every time, take a break or something.

I actually enjoy losing to an extent, it's when I get stomped so badly that I don't even know how they're doing what they're doing that I get twitchy and frustrated. If I'm in a comp game and my team is clearly second best and I'm clearly not even the best player on my team, that's great; I feel like I'm learning in those cases. At a certain skill difference, though, I can't even understand how they're doing what they're doing to me, and I feel like I don't get anything out of the curbstomping- does that make sense?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
There are some tricks that aren't easily apparant unless you know they exist, like one-way smokes where they can see you but all you see is smoke, or boost spots like on overpass where they can boost themselves up to shoot you from across the map. Sometimes you just wind up with someone with amazing timing or crosshair placement and it's easy to yell hacks or walls but in many cases they've just played so many times on the same map that they automatically prefire certain spots where people like to watch from and there's almost no way to react, you just get your head taken off.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Mukaikubo posted:

At a certain skill difference, though, I can't even understand how they're doing what they're doing to me, and I feel like I don't get anything out of the curbstomping- does that make sense?

That'll remain the case at every rank- hell, even legitimately good players get absolutely schooled on from time to time when semi-randos have amazing games or make weird plays. But when someone completely destroys you it's often a good idea to just download the demo and check things out from their perspective, makes it pretty easy to see what you did wrong and you can often learn something.

I've downloaded several demos where people do totally sweet executes or just outplay me in ways I didn't think were possible and then benefited immensely from incorporating it into my game

nftyw posted:

There are some tricks that aren't easily apparant unless you know they exist, like one-way smokes where they can see you but all you see is smoke

all it took was learning a single hilarious one-way smoke on t-side mid mirage to make me completely one dimensional and I love it and regret nothing

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Bohemian Nights posted:

That'll remain the case at every rank- hell, even legitimately good players get absolutely schooled on from time to time when semi-randos have amazing games or make weird plays. But when someone completely destroys you it's often a good idea to just download the demo and check things out from their perspective, makes it pretty easy to see what you did wrong and you can often learn something.

I've downloaded several demos where people do totally sweet executes or just outplay me in ways I didn't think were possible and then benefited immensely from incorporating it into my game

all it took was learning a single hilarious one-way smoke on t-side mid mirage to make me completely one dimensional and I love it and regret nothing

...huh. How do I download demos? Never did that before. Might also help in a bit to show people where I'm at and get specific things to focus on compared to currently knowing "basically work on everything man" like now. :v:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

nftyw posted:

Throw the holo on the gun first. Or put it up on the market for $50 or something before making your pick. If it sells in the meantime, great!! If it doesn't then take it down and put it back in your inventory after you've make your pick.

Good call. Didn't think of that for some reason. I kept assuming it should default on the "worst" sticker.

e: Except I can't apply it or sell it for a few days because of...reasons. This account protection poo poo is absurd.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Mukaikubo posted:

...huh. How do I download demos? Never did that before. Might also help in a bit to show people where I'm at and get specific things to focus on compared to currently knowing "basically work on everything man" like now. :v:
I'm not able to go in-game right now so these may not be 100% accurate instructions, but if you click the "Watch" tab in the main menu, there should be a section for your matches on the left-hand side. Click there, choose the match you want, and I believe you can download it from there. There's also a link you can copy and paste here if you want any of us to review your demos.

Except me, because I suck. :v:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

fennesz posted:

Good call. Didn't think of that for some reason. I kept assuming it should default on the "worst" sticker.

e: Except I can't apply it or sell it for a few days because of...reasons. This account protection poo poo is absurd.

If you already used it for a pick and then changed your mind and removed it, you're just SOL because any sticker that gets used in Pick'Em, even temporarily, gets a full use and trade ban until like April 4.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Goofballs posted:

If you want to aim better don't bother with the aim training maps. The bots don't shoot back, benefit not to.

Lol. aim_botz is a freaking excellent map to train aim actually.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Like ffa sucks rear end when you can't find a server that you don't go 2:1 on, although that is probably not an issue for DMG and below. aim training maps are good because you can constantly up the challenge until you start struggling, which is good.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

nftyw posted:

If you already used it for a pick and then changed your mind and removed it, you're just SOL because any sticker that gets used in Pick'Em, even temporarily, gets a full use and trade ban until like April 4.

That is The loving Stupidest Thing I've Read All Week.

Valve literally trying to prevent a sticker economy collapse when everyone rushes to offload the stickers of the losing team. Adorable :allears:

e: I've always skipped the sticker challenges in the past. Never really cared.

qhat posted:

Lol. aim_botz is a freaking excellent map to train aim actually.

This is still the best aim training I've found yet. Coming from someone with bad aim and even worse aim on moving targets.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 26, 2016

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

fennesz posted:

That is The loving Stupidest Thing I've Read All Week.

Valve literally trying to prevent a sticker economy collapse when everyone rushes to offload the stickers of the losing team. Adorable :allears:
This is how it's always been, though?

It doesn't really matter either way because at the end of the tournament the value of all the stickers drops off a cliff as they put all the stickers and capsules on a 75% off sale.

BIFF!
Jan 4, 2009

fennesz posted:

I activated steam mobile auth last friday. It's still telling me it hasn't been active 7 days. gently caress you Gaben.

Are you still looking for a Doppler butt knife? If so I can find you one easy once you get your trade authenticator set up

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

BIFF! posted:

Are you still looking for a Doppler butt knife? If so I can find you one easy once you get your trade authenticator set up

I was sick of toying around with my gf's phone so I just used the desktop workaround. I've been selling poo poo all afternoon so it should work for trades too.

e: PM me.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Mukaikubo, I PMed you. Add! Need GN party crew

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Sooooo I just found this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZggcP1P1gU

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Thanks

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i watched that on arteezys stream and i agree with rtc

'flat rear end'

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Up Circle posted:

i watched that on arteezys stream and i agree with rtc

'flat rear end'

Thanks

BIFF!
Jan 4, 2009

fennesz posted:

I was sick of toying around with my gf's phone so I just used the desktop workaround. I've been selling poo poo all afternoon so it should work for trades too.

e: PM me.

I PMed you

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Mukaikubo, I PMed you. Add! Need GN party crew

Rahla we must reunite!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

MC2552John posted:

Rahla we must reunite!

I never see you online anymore. Are you rocking a different name now?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I hope you guys are excited for the All-Star Game at Columbus ;)

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Photex posted:

I usually hate real all-star games due to risk of injury and poo poo. This might actually be interesting.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

fennesz posted:

I usually hate real all-star games due to risk of injury and poo poo. This might actually be interesting.

I think everyone is going to be really happy with the teams and sort of surprised (at least I am) who pulled in the most votes. Get hyped boys we're a few days away :dance:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
sg spray dot gifv feat. NBK wishing he was using something better than the AK

http://imgur.com/mX0HQK3

e: incidentally NBK's own dm server is actually really good

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bohemian Nights posted:

sg spray dot gifv feat. NBK wishing he was using something better than the AK

http://imgur.com/mX0HQK3

e: incidentally NBK's own dm server is actually really good

-nbk -devil +swift +taylor swift

BryzNasty
Jun 18, 2015

fennesz posted:

The NHL ASG was pretty dope this year.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Who's the John Scott of CS

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Photex posted:

No s1mple/taco/freakazoid/stewie team, don't care

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Photex posted:

I think everyone is going to be really happy with the teams and sort of surprised (at least I am) who pulled in the most votes. Get hyped boys we're a few days away :dance:
Oh, are the teams confirmed?

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.

mcvey posted:

Who's the John Scott of CS

adreN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

symbolic posted:

Oh, are the teams confirmed?

they will probably not be confirmed till like Saturday, i'm going to take a guess that no one will commit to playing in the all-star game till the tournament is close to being concluded.