Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

So there was a post forever ago in this thread or the one before it that said one translation of "Kira Yamato" is "Sparkle Japanman."

Aren't there other translations for those two words, though? I was just reminded of this while listening to Death Note music. I'm pretty sure Light wasn't named Kira for Sparkle but for Killer. But killer definitely wouldn't suit SEED/Destiny Kira at all.

It was probably a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Kuvo posted:

starting watching victory and Marbet Fingerhat is the dumbest name since, well, Seabook Arno

Wait what about Katejina the sandy vagina.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

NikkolasKing posted:

So there was a post forever ago in this thread or the one before it that said one translation of "Kira Yamato" is "Sparkle Japanman."

Aren't there other translations for those two words, though? I was just reminded of this while listening to Death Note music. I'm pretty sure Light wasn't named Kira for Sparkle but for Killer. But killer definitely wouldn't suit SEED/Destiny Kira at all.

I don't know if it's the exact post you're referring to but I've made the joke before on here. Strictly speaking, Kira's name is キラ・ヤマト. キラキラ or きらきら are both onomatopoeia for glittering/sparkling. Kira by itself doesn't have any particular meaning but it is an old Japanese family name 吉良. Like all good Chinese character names they also don't mean anything but are often composed of words that have positive meaning (like every Chinese girl having Mei stuck in their name, meaning beautiful) so in this case 吉 by itself means lucky and 良 by itself means good or very.

ヤマト basically only means Yamato or 大和, which really just boils down to Japan in the sense of Japan as a concept (or the spirit of Japan) as opposed to the actual nation state. You know how like people will refer to "making America great again" but aren't necessarily talking about the physical nation but the idea of the country. It is also a pretty common name too.

So really it can just be a name and it doesn't mean anything but half the fun of Asian languages is using homonyms and alternate readings to poke fun at things.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sparkle Japanman is a pretty great reading though

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Winning gundam was great, it just was used horribly 90% of the time. Fumina using the legs as cannons when interrupted in transformation was one of the few highlights.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Guys, Toonami is co-producing new seasons of FLCL. we all have to support it. I don't care what your opinion of the new FLCL is, because if it's successful, Toonami might make more sequels to classic old Toonami animes.

This is the best shot we have at getting a Frozen Teardrop anime.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Is Thunderbolt episode 03 out yet? Is it available to see in English anywhere?

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
Screw Frozen Teardrop, I want the Master Asia origin manga animated!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

boom boom boom posted:

Guys, Toonami is co-producing new seasons of FLCL. we all have to support it. I don't care what your opinion of the new FLCL is, because if it's successful, Toonami might make more sequels to classic old Toonami animes.

This is the best shot we have at getting a Frozen Teardrop anime.

Will it be as fooly-cooly as one can hope? :magical:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Is Thunderbolt episode 03 out yet? Is it available to see in English anywhere?

Release date has come and gone, and it seems to have aired, but I've seen no raws or subs yet. There's usually a second, longer release a short while afterwards, which may be when the subbers get their hands on it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

StalkofWheat posted:

Screw Frozen Teardrop, I want the Master Asia origin manga animated!

I've heard it's only so-so and turns Master Asia from a cool Chinese guy in to cool Japanese guy who went to China and stayed there for no real reason.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

tsob posted:

I've heard it's only so-so and turns Master Asia from a cool Chinese guy in to cool Japanese guy who went to China and stayed there for no real reason.

Well naturally, he went from antagonist to protagonist so he has to be Japanese.

In retrospect it's kind of hilarious that in the far distant future of G Gundam Hong Kong is still independent from China.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
To hell with frozen teardrop. Adapt Gundam Developers.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sunrise help wanted: plump girl camel-toe artist

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DamnGlitch posted:

Sunrise help wanted: plump girl camel-toe artist

:same:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
ICU:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

What's the relevance of this?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Darth Walrus posted:

What's the relevance of this?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I meant apart from the obviously wonderful presence of the Hamma Hamma in a picture of any sort.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
you need more?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

idgi

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

deep cameo.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It looks like models for the Tabletop Simulator game on STEAM. Now it is making me want to see if there is some weird Gundam homebrew game modded for that game.

Chances are, they are models you just spawn as proxy pieces to uselessly throw about the board, so if you are losing you can flip the board AND throw Guncannon at somebodies face. The models themselves are ripped from one of the earlier Dynasty Warriors Gundam games. I should know, I've stared at them for a depressingly long time.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

It looks like models for the Tabletop Simulator game on STEAM. Now it is making me want to see if there is some weird Gundam homebrew game modded for that game.

That's what the page says if you click through to the link. They're actually from the PSP Gundam VS (I didn't know there was a PSP Gundam VS).

It's just a neat Gundam-related thing, although I guess you could now use TTS and prototype a Gundam wargame, or just play Mobile Frame 0 with Gundam mechs. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 26, 2016

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

There already are tons of gundam wargames but they're all hex and chit and from the 80s. They rule.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

That's what the page says if you click through to the link. They're actually from the PSP Gundam VS (I didn't know there was a PSP Gundam VS).

There were two. VS and Next Plus.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Beecha's back.
and elle

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I'm glad their fashion sense is still on point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excellent, maybe a Gouf will drop on his head.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'll take more Beecha if it means more Elle.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

boom boom boom posted:

:same:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

boom boom boom posted:

I came to enjoy Beecha by the end of the series. The other non-pilot orphans? Never.

So really, Elle and Beecha are a pretty close second to Judau/Roux as the defacto power couple.

*scribbles notes into "Top Anime Ships" notebook*

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Beecha's back.
and elle
And despite being a decade later, he still has the most punchable face the AUEG ever recruited.

Also Elle, what...what ARE you wearing?

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

AradoBalanga posted:

And despite being a decade later, he still has the most punchable face the AUEG ever recruited.

It looks like she's wearing a mesh/cutout shirt over a black bra/top. Pretty cool if you ask me.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

The ZZ cast will forever be trapped in the space 80's

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

BlitzBlast posted:

Beecha's back.
and elle

Fuckin' Beecha man. At least Elle is still around.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The Guncannon is a very silly design. It can't see anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

StalkofWheat posted:

The ZZ cast will forever be trapped in the space 80's

How can you be trapped in paradise?