Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is15qashN1Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Groovelord Neato posted:

when he finally sees how superman sees the world is one of the better comic pages. too bad these new movies don't have that superman :)

i don't like grant's superman because he isn't human enough. I prefer the interpretation that Clark is the real identity and superman is just the front he puts on. Grant's also has all kinds of stupid silver age powers which are retarded. I mean until lex had his epiphany when he realised how superman saw things he had a strongly arguable position against this god walking amongst us.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

does superman stopping the jumper come from that comic? cuz that's probably the single best superman moment ever.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
note all star superman is still an amazing comic.and everyone with a passing interest in superman should read it, but its interpretation of superman is taken from very old comics.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

nobody remembers the best comic movie ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJX60CSED1s

I need to see this. Now.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Doflamingo posted:

And right before that you have kid Bruce flying up into the sky in a loving Batnado lmao

That poo poo loving owned.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
the more characters = more action figures rule is making even the good ideas stolen from frank miller novels very very bad

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Shaquin posted:

they have carefully plotted the course for the next twenty years of these films, they will never stop.

Which one started this stupid fad? Batman or Avengers?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Which one started this stupid fad? Batman or Avengers?

While superhero franchises have certainly happened before (Superman 1-4, the Burton Batmen), I think that Marvel perfected the annual release machine "shared universe" concept with Iron Man/Thor/Cap/Avengers, and DC is desperately trying to figure out how to catch up and make that work for their properties.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Otisburg posted:

While superhero franchises have certainly happened before (Superman 1-4, the Burton Batmen), I think that Marvel perfected the annual release machine "shared universe" concept with Iron Man/Thor/Cap/Avengers, and DC is desperately trying to figure out how to catch up and make that work for their properties.

for some reason i read grant morrisons book a couple years ago. he made a salient point re: why dc doesnt work well as a team kinda thing. dc heroes are all real world old, and they were created in discrete universes. there was no batman in supermans comics and so forth. stan lee cooked marvel up as a shared universe, to a point, from the word go.

idk how much bearing this has on why movies work or dont work but it seems to me marvel still has a better grasp on how to do it

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Saw the movie and enjoyed it.

Guess thats why you dont hype up a movie for a year.

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

for some reason i read grant morrisons book a couple years ago. he made a salient point re: why dc doesnt work well as a team kinda thing. dc heroes are all real world old, and they were created in discrete universes. there was no batman in supermans comics and so forth. stan lee cooked marvel up as a shared universe, to a point, from the word go.

idk how much bearing this has on why movies work or dont work but it seems to me marvel still has a better grasp on how to do it

It also makes marvel comics confusing as gently caress to read. Ok I just finished iron man #319 now it says I need to read Hulk #450.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

akulanization posted:

I might be the only person in the world that thinks this, but Ant Man was exactly what I wanted in a comic book movie. It wasn't as good as Gaurdians of the Galaxy, it was a similarly silly and fun production though.

Ant Man was easily the best comic movie since guardians for sure. It had a lot of fun with the premise and let Paul Rudd use his natural humor and charisma to great effect

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
http://i.imgur.com/S5uVkXY.jpg

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Tenzarin posted:

It also makes marvel comics confusing as gently caress to read. Ok I just finished iron man #319 now it says I need to read Hulk #450.

Not really. You can read pretty much any marvel comic in order and tells a story from front to back. You'll miss some side story stuff.

For mega events, you just need to read the main series from to back.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Watched it, thought it was OK; I'd give it 2.5 or 3 out of 5. Visuals were pretty well done IMO at least. :shrug:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
So I didnt see this movie and probably never will but Im dying to know...

How does it come up that Batman and Supermans mom has the same name? From what I understand he learns this while punching superman to death. Is that silly comic accurate?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Gutcruncher posted:

So I didnt see this movie and probably never will but Im dying to know...

How does it come up that Batman and Supermans mom has the same name? From what I understand he learns this while punching superman to death. Is that silly comic accurate?

No. In the comic batman has a heart attack at around that point. Also, he's old as gently caress, so all their moms are long dead.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

this is some player haters ball poo poo

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I went to see the shadow in cinemas. I remember this well for 3 reasons: one, I liked the movie, two, the girl I went with let me grope her tits and three, at the arcade next to the teathre I played mortal kombat 2.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
so in the movie does superman literally cry for his mommy in the middle of his fight with batman or what

cuz everything ive heard about this movie so far sounds hilarious

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

TLG James posted:

No. In the comic batman has a heart attack at around that point. Also, he's old as gently caress, so all their moms are long dead.

Yeah. It's weird that people think Batman "won" in the comic. Superman is kryptonite-sick and yeah, he's bleeding from all the punching, but the only dang reason he's not fighting back is he can hear that Batman's about to have a heart attack and he's just REALLY WORRIED about him.

"Bruce, please stop, you're gonna get hurt. Bruce, I am sorry I broke your ribs, dang it, calm down. Bruce, your heeeeeaaart!"

I mean the heart attack is intentional, Bruce Wayne is planning to fake his death, but that's still not a win.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Yeah. It's weird that people think Batman "won" in the comic. Superman is kryptonite-sick and yeah, he's bleeding from all the punching, but the only dang reason he's not fighting back is he can hear that Batman's about to have a heart attack and he's just REALLY WORRIED about him.

"Bruce, please stop, you're gonna get hurt. Bruce, I am sorry I broke your ribs, dang it, calm down. Bruce, your heeeeeaaart!"

I mean the heart attack is intentional, Bruce Wayne is planning to fake his death, but that's still not a win.

The fight also had a point in the comic, it wasn't just a big punch up to see who would win. I mean Miller is a pretty hosed up guy whose pretty hosed up values bleed into his work, but that fight was one of the better things he did because it actually was about something, was actually doing something interesting with the iconic characters. Batman having a dream that supes is a space nazi and swallowing a bunch of propaganda from a mincing ultranerd is just really dumb.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Just saw it and OP is right it's pretty bad.

I'm happy to answer any questions.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

oldpainless posted:

Just saw it and OP is right it's pretty bad.

I'm happy to answer any questions.

how do you feel about paying money to support this kind of project

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

CharlestonJew posted:

so in the movie does superman literally cry for his mommy in the middle of his fight with batman or what

cuz everything ive heard about this movie so far sounds hilarious

Superman comes trying to find Batman because Lex is the Joker now and captured Supermom and has some Russian gangsters in a warehouse ready to burn her to death with a flamethrower if Superman doesn't murder Batman within exactly one hour. Batman hates Superman so instead of listening he fights. During the fight, Superman is weakened by 40mm grenades of kryptonite and a spear that looks like a caveman made it (also kryptonite), and he's choking Superman or w/e, and then Superman is like "Martha!" because he's trying to say that his mom is gonna die and then Batman flashes back and we see his parents killed for like the fourth time in the movie and then they talk and Batman goes to brutally murder all the Russians to atone for beating Superman's rear end. This includes shooting the flamethrower guy's flamethrower backpack with a one-handed M60 like a video game before jumping out of a window with Supermom as the backpack explodes killing the Russian leader guys.

None of that is an exaggeration.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Zorodius posted:

how do you feel about paying money to support this kind of project

I regret it and honestly would tell people not to spend their money to go see it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
The Russian guys are also the same low-level nobody crims that Batman was tracking in a side plot for literally half the movie, coincidentally.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Shima Honnou posted:

Superman comes trying to find Batman because Lex is the Joker now and captured Supermom and has some Russian gangsters in a warehouse ready to burn her to death with a flamethrower if Superman doesn't murder Batman within exactly one hour. Batman hates Superman so instead of listening he fights. During the fight, Superman is weakened by 40mm grenades of kryptonite and a spear that looks like a caveman made it (also kryptonite), and he's choking Superman or w/e, and then Superman is like "Martha!" because he's trying to say that his mom is gonna die and then Batman flashes back and we see his parents killed for like the fourth time in the movie and then they talk and Batman goes to brutally murder all the Russians to atone for beating Superman's rear end. This includes shooting the flamethrower guy's flamethrower backpack with a one-handed M60 like a video game before jumping out of a window with Supermom as the backpack explodes killing the Russian leader guys.

None of that is an exaggeration.

Sounds like a standalone Batfleck movie as older Batman who no longer gives a gently caress because he's too grizzled and desperate because he's had like zero effect on the crime rate over the years would be cool as poo poo as long as they don't try to ramrod all of that DC bullshit in there. Maybe just like John Wick or Dredd but with Batman.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I am not lying when I say Affleck and the Batman parts are basically the best bits of the entire drat movie. I'd have been down if the whole thing was just a Batman movie where he tries to track and ice some bad guys.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Has anyone mentioned how GBS rose to power as a media conglomerate in the DC universe yet?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Ok a lot of you guys don't seem to be understanding this: If you see the movie, EVEN JUST TO SEE HOW BAD IT IS, you're still giving them money. t=The only real feedback they get is 'did it make money y/n?' and you're telling them that it was actually good.

This is why Michael Bay was allowed to make so many Transformers movies. Stop it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So this movie is pretty good, actually, except for one loving thing

and that loving thing is that they replaced Batman with a psychotic murderer.

So besides butchering Bruce Wayne's character and loving him worse than Bryan Singer's pool boy, the movie was pretty good, even great in parts. Jesse Eisenberg stole the show.

they loving ruined Batman though so this whole franchise is hosed.

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Lpzie posted:

Has anyone mentioned how GBS rose to power as a media conglomerate in the DC universe yet?

I saw it too. That's why Channel 4 is the local leader for news.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Lpzie posted:

Must be a goon in the props department.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Necc0 posted:

Ok a lot of you guys don't seem to be understanding this: If you see the movie, EVEN JUST TO SEE HOW BAD IT IS, you're still giving them money. t=The only real feedback they get is 'did it make money y/n?' and you're telling them that it was actually good.

This is why Michael Bay was allowed to make so many Transformers movies. Stop it.

Actually they're making so much money because people like my friend who I went with to see this garbage is like "I hated it but I gotta see it like 2 or 3 mores times to really see all of it" and there's a shitload of people like that in this hosed up world.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

just to be clear this batman is a reboot right? No relation to Bale Batman?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Wolverine shoudl just kill them all since he's the best Marvel character and spidermans turbo-gay. Black pather's a boring oval office too.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

oldpainless posted:

just to be clear this batman is a reboot right? No relation to Bale Batman?

I think it's a reboot that's set after all the poo poo that Batman's done before is over like Joker being idk dead or whatever and the manor being burnt down with no explanation and Alfred making cracks about Batman being an old fart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
dgaf about batman or superman

this movie is good because it gave me this thread

which gave me this post about an Uno movie :

which gave me this :

who would have known that eventually anime would give me something that wasn't worse than hiv?
thank u anime and thanks u zack snyder/batman/uno/mel mudkipper

• Locked thread