Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Spoondick posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...a05f_story.html

So we just had a shitload of rain in the north. Between 3/3 and 3/6 Lake Oroville rose 20 feet. Lake Shasta and Lake Oroville are now above their average historical capacity, which of course means we should totally ditch these water saving bills because there's no way things can turn bad now that we've had two good storms in a row.

all that praying for rain from the valley folk paid off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

In addition to the above, Harris opposes the death penalty, though she did defend the use of it as part of her duties as AG.

Her main Democratic opposition is Representative Loretta Sanchez, who is a member of the Blue Dog Caucus and is a one-woman gaffe machine. Most notably she was meeting with some Indian-Americans and said "I was confused because I thought I was meeting the woo-woo Indians" *puts hand to mouth and makes stereotypical Native American wooping noise, offending everyone in a five-mile radius*.

I don't know anything about the Republicans running. Assume the usual garbage positions.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Really her only bad points kind of come from her job as AG; she's opposed to legalizing marijuana and she's big on plea bargaining, which she likes to tout as a key factor in her getting a bigger number of felony convictions than her predecessor. Outside of criminal law/drugs though she's basically a textbook left-leaning Democrat. So basically better than Boxer/Feinstein in every way.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I guess my hang up with her is her foreign policy positions. Obviously she has no voting record to go off of, but her website is very vague. Maybe I'll vote for her and just hope she isn't hawkish.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
She seems to be a pretty standard left-ish Democrat, which I guess is all that can really be asked. I agree that her website is a little odd, especially in the foreign policy section which is 1) fight terrorists and 2) uhhh...oppose human trafficking? She has no reason to really be specific about anything controversial as shes running effectively unopposed.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Any Democrat is better than Feinstein.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

enraged_camel posted:

Any Democrat is better than Feinstein.
Last Republican senator CA will elect for a long time.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

cheese posted:

Last Republican senator CA will elect for a long time.

I really hope she retires at the end of this term. She'll be 85 in 2018 when her seat is up. Also I hate her.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Better than Dianne Feinstein at any rate.

That applies to lots of popular public figures. Genghis Khan, Adolf Hitler, Pol pot... The list goes on.

maybe I exaggerate .. a little

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

The icing on the cake is that the only person slimier than Diane Feinstein might be her husband. A match made in heaven.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

cheese posted:

The icing on the cake is that the only person slimier than Diane Feinstein might be her husband. A match made in heaven.

He also runs a "Poverty Alleviation Institute" :laffo:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

cheese posted:

My favorite bit is where Blum voted to jack up UC tuition, circumvented the usual investment procedures and hired his own private managers to invest the sweet tuition cash into his own real estate businesses, lost the system a ton of money when the resulting 2008 crash happened, and responded by crying that the UC's had no money so they needed to raise tuition more. :shepicide:

Oh yeah, and then Feinstein introduced legislation to route $25 billion to the FDIC, just as they gave her husband a huge contract to sell foreclosed homes at "above market average" prices. A match made in heaven indeed.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Better than Dianne Feinstein at any rate.

This is an *incredibly* low bar, but I agree. (Why did Boxer retire instead of DiFi? Why, o cruel universe?)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

cheese posted:

I dont think a lot of people know that he is one of the thieves that has ruined the UCs with his clintonesque money scams.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Sydin posted:

My favorite bit is where Blum voted to jack up UC tuition, circumvented the usual investment procedures and hired his own private managers to invest the sweet tuition cash into his own real estate businesses, lost the system a ton of money when the resulting 2008 crash happened, and responded by crying that the UC's had no money so they needed to raise tuition more. :shepicide:

Do you have a specific article detailing this or is it over a series of different ones? I'd like to read it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bizarro Watt posted:

Do you have a specific article detailing this or is it over a series of different ones? I'd like to read it.

This article gives a pretty good overview of the conflict of interest in Blum's direction of the UC's investment portfolio. This and this go into detail about his calls for pushing tuition up as high as $40k. His argument being that charging more to come to UC schools will help them compete with Ivy League schools that are stealing their talent somehow. :downs:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I cannot loving wait until Feinstein dies.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Bizarro Watt posted:

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul/14/business/la-fi-hiltzik-column-20100714

http://californiawatch.org/dailyreport/report-uc-invests-where-its-regents-have-financial-interests-5650

http://investmentwatchblog.com/political-elite-implicated-in-for-profit-college-education-fraud/

related: (ctrl-f for "blum")
http://educate-yourself.org/cn/diannefeinsteininsidetraitor25apr13.shtml

Feinstein and her scammer husband should be tried for something resembling working-to-weaken-the-state-for-personal-gain /slash/ treason. Whatever that ends up being.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is an *incredibly* low bar, but I agree. (Why did Boxer retire instead of DiFi? Why, o cruel universe?)

Because Boxer is 75 and up for re-election this year, while Feinstein's term isn't up until 2018. I'm sure (pray) she won't run for re-election, but there's no reason to expect her to not finish her term barring sudden health reasons.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
speaking of this fall's senate race, the author of prop 227 aligned himself with trump (i know, shocker!) and is running

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Goonproject:

redscare posted:

Because Boxer is 75 and up for re-election this year, while Feinstein's term isn't up until 2018. I'm sure (pray) she won't run for re-election, but there's no reason to expect her to not finish her term barring sudden health reasons.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Won't somebody think of the poor, homeless doctors?

vvv I wanted to give someone else the honor of posting that one vvv

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 23, 2016

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I want to read more about that "Monsterous Trust Rally" and the KKK's Ford Big Aryan Foot taking place in the 1923s.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Death by gentrification.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/mar/21/death-by-gentrification-the-killing-that-shamed-san-francisco

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I'm just not getting how driving your monstrous truck over a horse and crushing it proves the superiority of the white race.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

quote:

The dog had Nieto cornered on the bench while its inattentive owner was 40 feet away – in his deposition for the case, under oath, his exact words were that he was distracted by a female “jogger’s butt”. “I can imagine that somebody would – could assume the dog was being aggressive at that point,” Snow said. The dog did not come when he called, but kept barking. Nieto, Snow says, then pulled back his jacket and took his Taser out, briefly pointing at the distant dog-owner before he pointed it at the dog baying at his feet. The two men yelled at each other, and Snow apparently used a racial slur, but would not later give the precise word. As he left the park, he texted a friend about the incident. His text, according to his testimony, said, “in another state like Florida, I would have been justified in shooting Mr Nieto that night” – a reference to that state’s infamous “stand your ground” law, which removes the obligation to retreat before using force in self-defence. In other words, he apparently wished he could have done what George Zimmerman did to Trayvon Martin: execute him without consequences.

Soon after, a couple passed by Nieto. Tim Isgitt, a recent arrival in the area, is the communications director of a nonprofit organisation founded by tech billionaires. He now lives in suburban Marin County, as does his partner Justin Fritz, a self-described “email marketing manager” who had lived in San Francisco about a year. In a picture one of them posted on social media, they are chestnut-haired, clean-cut white men posing with their dogs, a springer spaniel and an old bulldog. They were walking those dogs when they passed Nieto at a distance.

Fritz did not notice anything unusual but Isgitt saw Nieto moving “nervously” and putting his hand on the Taser in its holster. Snow was gone, so Isgitt had no idea that Nieto had just had an ugly altercation and had reason to be disturbed. Isgitt began telling people he encountered to avoid the area. (One witness who did see Nieto shortly after Isgitt and Fritz, longtime Bernal Heights resident Robin Bullard who was walking his own dog in the park, testified that there was nothing alarming about him. “He was just sitting there,” Bullard said.)

At the trial, Fritz testified that he had not seen anything alarming about Nieto. He said that he called 911 because Isgitt urged him to. At about 7.11pm he began talking to the 911 dispatcher, telling her that there was a “probably foreign” man with a black handgun. That a relative newcomer perceived Nieto as foreign says something unpleasant about assumptions about who belongs here and what kind of a place this is supposed to be. What race, asked the dispatcher, “black, Hispanic?” “Hispanic,” replied Fritz. Later, the dispatcher asked him if the man in question was doing “anything violent”, and Fritz answered, “just pacing, it looks like he might be eating chips or sunflowers, but he’s resting a hand kind of on the gun”. Alex Nieto had about five more minutes to live.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I was going to say something about how low San Francisco has fallen but then I remembered how Harvey milk was assassinated in my lifetime.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

SF cops have been periodically shooting innocent people for my entire life. It's still tragic and horrifying and wrong, but the one thing it isn't, is new. And while the proximate cause of the police encounter with Nieto was racist white people, the ultimate cause was that cops are still trained and encouraged to escalate situations and respond with excessive force. That's not in any way an excuse for Nieto's murderers, mind you. But countless less-lethal situations happen every day in which the police initiate violence and escalate situations instead of being de-escalators and peace officers. Shootings like NIeto's get press: shootings where the target suspect was actually wielding a dangerous weapon, but could have been talked down instead of killed, are probably far more common, but go largely unexamined.

It's simply far more difficult and requires far more skill, to learn how to get someone who might kill you to calm down and surrender. Doing so may well put police at marginally more risk. I happen to feel that assumption of that risk is a necessary burden for police officers to undertake, in exchange for the tremendous privilege and power they are granted in their jobs. But if cops were trained not to start shooting just because someone displays a weapon, we'd probably trade the lives of a small number of cops for the lives of hundreds of people experiencing crises, as a free side-bonus on top of also not regularly murdering innocent people who only briefly appeared (or "appeared") to be threatening.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Ideally, yeah, it's the cops' jobs to get shot first. In practice, I think no one should ever call the police unless they're willing to accept someone being killed as a result, and people who accept that risk for trivial bullshit, do a bad thing.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Voter Information Guide for June is now out: http://www.voterguide.sos.ca.gov/en/pdf/

quote:

Through my national and international research and political activism, I identified “mind control slavery” by satellite energy technology weapons and social engineering programs that have been in continual development for the past 50 years and facilitated their “declassification”. As a result, I came under heavy sanctions that are ongoing. I request you, the voter, to rise above all untrue accusations that assail my good character and heart. See my evidence and review my service. Senator Bernie Sanders’ presidency is crucial for bringing this into reality

http://vig.cdn.sos.ca.gov/2016/primary/en/pdf/candidate-statements.pdf

Massie Munroe: The only candidate to stand up to big satellite. :tinfoil:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Ling Ling Shi has got my vote.

"Fight for God's Heart and America's Freedom" :911:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

ChickenRiceNPeas posted:

Voter Information Guide for June is now out: http://www.voterguide.sos.ca.gov/en/pdf/

http://vig.cdn.sos.ca.gov/2016/primary/en/pdf/candidate-statements.pdf

Massie Munroe: The only candidate to stand up to big satellite. :tinfoil:

Do in have to ask her stance on vaccinations?

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Ron Jeremy posted:

Do in have to ask her stance on vaccinations?

Surprisingly she doesn't say.

Her statement reads like a strange mix of neo-conservatism and Peace and Freedom style liberalism.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

ChickenRiceNPeas posted:

Surprisingly she doesn't say.

Her statement reads like a strange mix of neo-conservatism and Peace and Freedom style liberalism.

Is she from Humboldt or parts nearby? I got that kind of impression from the place.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Is she from Humboldt or parts nearby? I got that kind of impression from the place.

Her ad says Glendale.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-minimum-wage-deal-20160326-story.html

quote:

Lawmakers and labor unions have struck a tentative deal to raise the statewide minimum wage to $10.50 an hour next year and then gradually to $15, averting a costly political campaign this fall and possibly putting California at the forefront of a national movement.

According to a document obtained by The Times, the negotiated deal would boost California's statewide minimum wage from $10 an hour to $10.50 on Jan. 1, 2017, with a 50-cent increase in 2018 and then $1-per-year increases through 2022. Businesses with fewer than 25 employees would have an extra year to comply, delaying their workers receiving a $15 hourly wage until 2023.

Future statewide minimum wage increases would be linked to inflation, but a governor would have the power to temporarily block some of the initial increases in the event of an economic downturn.

Looks like that ballot initiative really spooked the state business establishment.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Given inflation, how much would $15/hour in 2022 dollars, when the new minimum wage law gets tied to inflation would it be in today's dollars? $13.50 or so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fermun posted:

Given inflation, how much would $15/hour in 2022 dollars, when the new minimum wage law gets tied to inflation would it be in today's dollars? $13.50 or so?

Roughly that, yeah.