Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I'm sure it's been said before but I'm rather disappointed in how contracts mode makes your kills generic. If you kill someone with a fire axe it just turns into a "melee kill" which can be pulled off a lot easier with a concealable weapon.

MinibarMatchman posted:

this sounds pretty lovely http://www.destructoid.com/hitman-save-issues-unfixable-due-to-live-game-experience-350863.phtml

I don't know, think I might just wait for a physical release now instead. I don't want to keep playing if any errors are gonna be met with "lol sorry, get hosed"

While I don't really get why the main Paris mission has to be "live" this isn't that big a problem. I've had one connection drop on PS4 and the game keeps several auto saves, so I only lost a couple of minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

rdsarna posted:

How is the game running for everyone on PC? I have a decent enough rig with an i5 3570k and 980 Ti and the game runs like sh*t in the Paris mission.

I see drops to 35 and rarely does it go about 65. Benchmarking shows a min of 2 FPS!?!? Directx 12 adds 2-3 frames on average but crashes to desktop frequently.

How about the AMD people? Is it better optimized on your GPU?

R9 390 / i7 4.4GHz checking in. It took me a few days to realize my auto-updating drivers didn't auto-update to the Hitman hotfix driver, and after installing that I could actually play Paris instead of it instantly crashing on me, even on DX11. Still, when I had everything at high or max settings at 1080p in Paris, I get low memory warnings left and right (8 GB, but that's the recommended spec) that would cause me to crash out. I didn't want to fight things and just wanted to play the game, so I set things to 720p/medium settings. It runs 60+ like this no problem, as you would hope, but I didn't invest in all of this PC horsepower for nothing.

So yeah, I'm a bit disappointed at the performance at the moment. I'm okay with this for now since the game is great, and because I'm optimistic that things will get smoothed out as things get optimized and DX12 starts working properly.

Zero Karizma posted:

I'm in on this, but I've got a platform question. Sorry if you've answered this already, but are the PS4 "exclusives" worth it? Or are they just extremely minor additions? Basically I want to know if I would be fine grabbing the Xbox version?

I was actually thinking about this last night. The extra target in the level would be nice, but I've already played for 20 hours and have yet to be at a point where I was longing for new content. There's enough to do where you won't miss what the PS4 has, in my opinion.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Why do spergs complain about always-online and not complain about the server upkeep and poo poo so that people do not run into problems? Like who gives a poo poo if a game is always online in TYOOL16, all SE needs to do is fix up their servers and poo poo and then it wouldn't be a problem.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

WindyMan posted:

I was actually thinking about this last night. The extra target in the level would be nice, but I've already played for 20 hours and have yet to be at a point where I was longing for new content. There's enough to do where you won't miss what the PS4 has, in my opinion.

Thanks, I legitimately appreciate that response.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kontradaz posted:

Why do spergs complain about always-online and not complain about the server upkeep and poo poo so that people do not run into problems? Like who gives a poo poo if a game is always online in TYOOL16, all SE needs to do is fix up their servers and poo poo and then it wouldn't be a problem.

In this case its 100% unnecessary because there's no multiplayer component whatsoever, its just leaderboards. Very few people care about leaderboards, so when you can't connect to the servers you're left with that "why the gently caress am I not playing this game that I paid $60 for right now" feeling.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Moartoast posted:

Hitman seems a lot more CPU intensive than GPU. Most performance issues caused with modern cards are evidently dipping when panning the camera/running towards LOD/Shadow heavy areas, primarily crowds. There's probably also some issues from the (actually pretty ambitious) reflections going on, since they're not just simple cubemaps/screenspace things and are actually lower-res rerenders of the scene, seemingly with most lighting and shadows intact.

This would also explain why my AMD FX-fitted PC gets way better performance on DX12 than DX11 (ignoring crashes and buggy stuttering), but peeps like Digital Foundry get like 1-2 FPS boost at most on a more single-core capable Intel CPU.

This is true. I have a GTX 970 with an i5 750 (yes, the first i5) overclocked to 3.3 Ghz. It actually runs really well with a few of the less important graphical settings set to medium. I can't tell the difference between high, and I get a consistent 50fps. However I was toying around with a Leap Motion on my computer earlier, and when I went to play Hitman the framerate was total inconsistent garbage. Eventually I figured out it was due to the processing power being taken up by the Leap Motion, which does a lot of processing on the CPU while active. I'm guessing all those AIs are CPU hogs.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

J-Spot posted:

I'm sure it's been said before but I'm rather disappointed in how contracts mode makes your kills generic. If you kill someone with a fire axe it just turns into a "melee kill" which can be pulled off a lot easier with a concealable weapon.

Tell the devs- this is the kind of thing they can fix in a later patch, and the opportunity for this kind of change is what makes the "episodic" format so appealing.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

They said they are going to maintain the division between online and offline modes. But they also said they hoped to have a definitive fix before the ep 2 release, so maybe they will patch then an unlocking mechanic for the offline mode, that way everyone will be happy.

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

Basebf555 posted:

In this case its 100% unnecessary because there's no multiplayer component whatsoever, its just leaderboards. Very few people care about leaderboards, so when you can't connect to the servers you're left with that "why the gently caress am I not playing this game that I paid $60 for right now" feeling.

And Absolution had the exact same features (Contracts, challenges, leaderboards, etc.), yet you could play it offline just fine.

rdsarna
Feb 13, 2016

Sorry, I'm NOT Funny! :airquote:
My "serious" Channel

WindyMan posted:

R9 390 / i7 4.4GHz checking in. It took me a few days to realize my auto-updating drivers didn't auto-update to the Hitman hotfix driver, and after installing that I could actually play Paris instead of it instantly crashing on me, even on DX11. Still, when I had everything at high or max settings at 1080p in Paris, I get low memory warnings left and right (8 GB, but that's the recommended spec) that would cause me to crash out. I didn't want to fight things and just wanted to play the game, so I set things to 720p/medium settings. It runs 60+ like this no problem, as you would hope, but I didn't invest in all of this PC horsepower for nothing.

So yeah, I'm a bit disappointed at the performance at the moment. I'm okay with this for now since the game is great, and because I'm optimistic that things will get smoothed out as things get optimized and DX12 starts working properly.
Yea that's got to be disappointing, but I agree that the game is great so it doesn't matter. I have it locked at 30, maxed out and that's the best way to experience the game for me.

Moartoast posted:

Hitman seems a lot more CPU intensive than GPU. Most performance issues caused with modern cards are evidently dipping when panning the camera/running towards LOD/Shadow heavy areas, primarily crowds. There's probably also some issues from the (actually pretty ambitious) reflections going on, since they're not just simple cubemaps/screenspace things and are actually lower-res rerenders of the scene, seemingly with most lighting and shadows intact.

This would also explain why my AMD FX-fitted PC gets way better performance on DX12 than DX11 (ignoring crashes and buggy stuttering), but peeps like Digital Foundry get like 1-2 FPS boost at most on a more single-core capable Intel CPU.
Thanks a lot. That was quite informative especially about the reflections which I hadn't noticed before.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Kontradaz posted:

Lol, complaining about a game you purchased being unplayable makes you a sperg. Non spergs know that you should be angry about cloud hardware infrastructure!

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Kontradaz posted:

all SE needs to do is fix up their servers and poo poo and then it wouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, and we all know that SE is going to fix their problem right?

Oh wait no, actually the server connection issues are going to happen for the first two/three days of release, minimum, for every single episode coming out for the rest of the year.

And also (b) that there's absolutely zero reason for an "always online" feature of Hitman, since there's no multiplayer, cheating doesn't matter, and the contracts etc could all be easily pushed to you when you are online. All it does in practical terms is make all the menus incredibly slow to load. The menus in Hitman are the slowest of any software I've used in many years. It's so bad that I use my laptop and search for the kill type 'awards' rather than go through the game's terrible menus.

I love all the idiots going "Hitman worked fine for me it must be your connection!!!11". Even if this was true, that tons of people are having a connection issue on a single player game means it was designed incompetently.

Not planning on buying the rest of it until it's on disc now.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
All of a sudden I can't get precision aiming to work anymore. I've tried changing the keybinding and the weapon, but it doesn't work. Still let's me sprint though. Anyone else have this problem?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Try using the default key. I've had other games revert to default even after it says it's rebound.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 26, 2016

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

fennesz posted:

Try using the default key. I've had other games revert to default even after it says it's rebound.

That's the problem, I am using the default. I only tried changing it after it stopped working.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The worst part about it requiring you to be online and getting disconnected whenever the game gets suspended, is that it's too loving stupid to just reconnect automatically. Like, why is it giving me a popup telling me I was disconnected and telling me to return to the menu? Just loving reconnect! My Internet's not down, the server is right there! Just reconnect to it!

Snak fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 27, 2016

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

Trying to complete Suit only + Silent assassin + Eliminate Victor's bodyguard in Paris. Kinda hard when everybody else seems to have X-ray vision, not just 47.

So yeah, I get to "Hunted" status when trying to subdue the bodyguard in an empty bathroom. It's not Victor who's alarmed, nor anyone else near bathroom. They're all chill, so wtf.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm working through the escalation missions, and these laser tripwires ate bullshit. I can't see them at all 90% of the time, and in a game full of ridiculous bullshit, they are the most immersion breaking thing. "Why yes, I just out a bunch of loving land mines all over this museum full of party guests!"

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I ended up just looking up where the disarm device is, because yeah it's not fun.

Its in a wall safe in the room where the computer you need to hack is. Just start in the attic and take the ladder down and you won't have to worry about any trip mines. Just have the device equipped every time you pass through the beams.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I did it without the device because I absolutely could not find that safe. Is it hard to spot or something or am I just blind? Because I definitely checked that room.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
But I don't have the attic spawn unlocked
... Also I just failed the mission cause I forgot I was wearing the wrong disguise, when after shooting my way through the entire level, I shot the target in the face.

So far these escalation missions suck. Also these "complication" objectives make no sense, since they are just duplicates of existing objectives, but with misleading European floor naming. I.e. why would I think that "find and hack the laptop on the first floor" is the same objective as "hack the museum laptop", which is on the second floor.

Edit: I can't even figure out to get to that room. I can't go through the door or window that I usually use to get to it.

Snak fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 27, 2016

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I did it without the device because I absolutely could not find that safe. Is it hard to spot or something or am I just blind? Because I definitely checked that room.

It's in plain sight. Did you do the escalations for the final test where you have to open the safe? It's a metal box on the wall just like that one.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
We must be talking about different rooms, becausr there is definitely no safe in this room. There's not even a place where it could be.

Edit: found it. Unlike literally ever other thing you can interact with, it doesn't highlight in instinct mode. Also I wouldn't describe it as a wall safe, since it's not built into the wall, but I found it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Snak posted:

I'm working through the escalation missions, and these laser tripwires ate bullshit. I can't see them at all 90% of the time, and in a game full of ridiculous bullshit, they are the most immersion breaking thing. "Why yes, I just out a bunch of loving land mines all over this museum full of party guests!"

Escalation missions are explicitly done to play with the mechanics or the difficulty, without worrying about realism. That's why you also may be asked of killing someone disguised as vampire with a battle axe.

But I don't really like escalation missions, they are very repetitive. At the point they start being "interesting", difficulty wise, you already tired of it because you played three times before.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 27, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just think that putting a bunch of instant kill obstacles around the map is a lovely way to ranp up difficulty. It wouldn't be a big deal if it just sometimes, but it seems like every escalation mission has that as one of the difficulty tiers? If ever escalation mission follows the same pattern of:

Primary target
+secondary objective
+secondary target
+security objective
+lasers

That's pretty lame.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Badchay posted:

Trying to complete Suit only + Silent assassin + Eliminate Victor's bodyguard in Paris. Kinda hard when everybody else seems to have X-ray vision, not just 47.

So yeah, I get to "Hunted" status when trying to subdue the bodyguard in an empty bathroom. It's not Victor who's alarmed, nor anyone else near bathroom. They're all chill, so wtf.

I ran into that when trying to kill Sato. I don't get it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Overall, I really like the controls and how well they set up context prompts etc. I have a couple of complaints though:
(on ps4)

It's dumb that you tap square repeatedly to choke someone out, with the option to press triangle to snap their neck. But as soon as they are choked out, pressing square snaps their neck. Given the rest of the controls, I understand why it happens that way, and it is better than having "snap neck" on the same button as "pick up their gun". It probably would have been best to just remove the "hammer square to choke out" aspect of it.

The inventory/equipping system still feels very primitive. There's no way to select a weapon without drawing it, and all kinds of contextual actions change your selected item. Like if I walk up to a door with my silverballer holstered, I can pick the lock from the context menu, but then the lockpick is equipped, so I have to go to the menu and select the silverballer. This draws the weapon, so I next need to conceal it. That's a lot of steps just to pick a lock and return to the previous state. Or when you pick up an item, like a fire extinguisher, and throw it/put it back down, you then have to reselect your gun, which draws it. I really feel like there should be a button on the inventory screen to "select and conceal" in addition to the existing "select and ready" button. Right now the only buttons on that screen are "select" and "back" so it wouldn't hurt at all to be able to press triangle or square to select and conceal. I also feel like if you have a weapon selected and you pick up a non-concealable item or perform a context action like lock-picking, it should revert you to your previously selected weapon.

There are also a couple of places where fire extinguisher are placed next to doors, and it's very hard to get the door action selected over the fire extinguisher action.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Is there a date for the next level yet?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Apparently it's being announced next week.

"IO news update posted:

The unfortunate news is that we’re pushing out the Elusive Targets until closer to the planned release of the next episode, Sapienza in April, but you’ll get two Escalation Contracts coming each week until the release of Sapienza and between these and the new challenges, you will be entertained for quite some time. Next week, you’ll know exactly when Sapienza will arrive. Stay tuned for that.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Christ, I just spent an hour trying to get silent assassin, suit only and failing repeatedly because I didn't realise that it just meant whichever disguise you start in rather than specifically the signature suit. Finally got it though, really satisfying when you pull that one off.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ThomasPaine posted:

Christ, I just spent an hour trying to get silent assassin, suit only and failing repeatedly because I didn't realise that it just meant whichever disguise you start in rather than specifically the signature suit. Finally got it though, really satisfying when you pull that one off.

Wait, seriously?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Yeah, the tux counts at least

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah, the tux counts at least

I don't think the tux count as disguise, it's just like a "skin" of the normal suit.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Nah, I tried to do it with the normal suit and everyone went hostile straight off the bat

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

I didn't see this one here yet: http://www.chooseyourhit.com/ (Cole vs Busey)

At least they have sense of humor

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
But you wouldn't be able to kill Gary Busey because he'd be the one killing you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T2S8GHzxqc

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Killing Busey seems like I'd be putting him out of his misery.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Gotta be Cole.

Hide a bomb in a stack of TPS reports

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

http://steamcommunity.com/games/236870/announcements/detail/857181154236741861

Two Escalations added, again. The Einarsson Inception and The Marsden Isotopy. Sounds pretty boring but guess I'll give it a try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Have elusive targets shown up yet? Probably won't fire up the game again till they do b