Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life, March 21-27. This week, Ethan Mike makes a sentient AI out of an Xbox a smartwatch, and his chubbier Straight Man friend with the spiky black hair Lucas Skip is concerned about the ramifications of it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Precariously Perched Comix

I watched The Fugitive more than once, and this is still the only scene I remember. I thought I remembered a big vehicle crash sequence, but then I realized I was remembering the Simpsons parody of it.

Ballard Street

I feel pity for anybody with a dog too large to do this with.

Lost Side of Suburbia

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

See, Rhodes does win a case occasionally!

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life, March 21-27. This week, Ethan Mike makes a sentient AI out of an Xbox a smartwatch, and his chubbier Straight Man friend with the spiky black hair Lucas Skip is concerned about the ramifications of it.

Cant' wait for the miscarriage miscarriage arc!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

I was considering a sarcastic remark about how quickly she worked this out, but given the universe she lives in, this is probably the right way to think. "This person I've never met before is claiming to be my husband. It's probably some kind of mind swap thing and I should definitely believe him." "What is that faint, almost unnoticeable smell? Almost certainly knock-out gas." "My arm is a bit itchy. Must be alien parasites again."

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Peanuts (April 6, 1969)

Funky Okay Back To THIS poo poo Again

The Phantom Empire is one of the greatest movie serials ever made. It had great production values for the time and it made Gene Autry a star. But, as far as teaching a silver age writer how to "write comic books", it took 15 chapters to finish its story. Sure, that's how it happens now, but come on.

TomBat wrote a history of Batom Comics a few years ago. If you're masochistic enough to make it all the way to the end, you'll find out these Pete-and-Darin flashback figures actually have names, and they were the only two permanent hires for "the bullpen". Not that it makes any difference.

Crankshaft

The punchline: He thinks his life is too full to spend an extra minute at the checkout! It's what gives his hollow shell of an existence meaning!

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 27, 2016

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Outland

Ripley's

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Aardmania posted:

Gil 08/16/15

drat, that's a fine D'deridex-class Warbird.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The Sphinxster posted:

He has stubble. Gunther has stubble. Do I have to draw a freakin' diagram?

And Bernice is both their beards *HIYO*

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

And He Did.

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Flapper Fanny Says

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Mr. Tweedy

Life In Hell

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Slammy posted:

Outbusts of Everett True

haha everett is such a dick

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I wish he did that more often. He didn't even need to lay a finger on that jerk to destroy him.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 27, 2016

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
I'm sure the "people eat a lot at buffets" joke can be found on a cave painting somewhere.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Ah, nice. I see the colorist dedication to never reading the comic they are coloring continues to be unwavering.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Slammy posted:

Outbusts of Everett True
Everett True Urinating on the Ford Motor Company Logo, circa 191X.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Aogashima: geological fluke, or proof that the world is a complex computer simulation based on SimCity 4?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

The punchline: He thinks his life is too full to spend an extra minute at the checkout! It's what gives his hollow shell of an existence meaning!
I have to agree with the Shaft on this one. It annoys me when the cashier tries to upsell me at every place I go to. Granted, they usually ask for just one thing, and I know it's not their fault and don't treat them like poo poo for it, and I wouldn't just leave like that, but I thinks it's a legitimate gripe.

F Minus

Could Satan make a salesman so good that even he couldn't resist?

Mary Worth

Interlude over. Now the real next story arc should be coming along.

Rex Morgan MD

"As a nanny, I'm stressed at work heading a multi-billion dollar defense contracting business, but at least I have this mansion!"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set drives each other crazy.

Working Daze is infinite stupidity.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix gets to the point.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Half of my enjoyment of this thread is you tearing Mary Worth and Working Daze apart, love it!

(Other half is reading Ballard Street, that I can't help but enjoy).

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

The Sphinxster posted:

He has stubble. Gunther has stubble. Do I have to draw a freakin' diagram?

They were made for each other!

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The Amazing Spider-Man

Kind of early in the day to be drinking, huh buddy?

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Prince Valiant

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

So much humor has a sad-but-true basis in real life.

https://www.facebook.com/MaximBady/videos/1052573858118396/?comment_id=1052587241450391&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R%22%7D

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Edge of This Is Gonna Take a While Isn't It

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I don't really understand why you would make a comic about a regular schmo who's imagining that he's a rocket hero or whatever. Why stop there? Make a comic, about a guy who's making a comic, about the pretending guy.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Inspector Danger

Deep Dark Fears

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Smets posted:

"$109.20?! Could there even be that much money?"

Not to mention that libraries (or at least the one I worked at) don't work that way. Once a book has been overdue for a month, it's automatically entered as "lost" in the system. You lose your borrowing privileges and are on the hook for the cost of the book, not the accrued fines. If you don't cough up the $12.95 for your hardcover romance novel by the end of our fiscal year, we go to "offset debt", and it comes out of your state tax refund (if you're getting one) or to a collection agency (if not). Bottom line: she either hasn't set foot in her library, paid state taxes, or opened her mail in 20+ years if she didn't know she had lost a book, so this old biddy can go jump in a lake

source: angry ex-librarian

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine Meets the Desperate Hope That This is a One-Off

The Phantom

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Good Time Guy (click for big)

heh. I like this one.

Flapper Fanny Says

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Life In Hell

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (January 28, 1929)

Peanuts (April 3, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

So, what's the most implausible part of this side trip so far?

A) Flying halfway across the country to see a movie serial and having a convertible waiting for you when you're done.
B) That the comic book geeks have somehow never seen the movie serial of a character that they're currently writing a movie about.
C) That Mason Jarr, lantern-jawed Hollywood star, just loves hanging around with script writers.

Crankshaft

Li'l Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (January 4-5, 1929)

Thimble Theater (October 15, 1929)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

This is a matter of Personal Integrity Comix.

Pooch Café

Poncho got the completely wrong message from Hamilton.

Ballard Street

How long have they had that thing? They haven't made piggy banks that you're actually supposed to break open since before I was born, how is it not full yet?

Lost Side of Suburbia

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

Can anyone explain this one to me? I don't see how it's about sex.

It's interesting that A&J is probably the comic whose meaning is asked about most often in this thread. (I like it, and I kind of like that it often takes some interpretation to get.)

F Minus

If you think about how you poop, that's very clearly completely impractical.

Mary Worth

She even borrowed Mary's old-lady, all-purple outfit to ring in her new start in life!

Rex Morgan MD

What is going on at "the plant" that requires her individual, constant, and undivided attention? Of course, whatever it is doesn't stop her from taking the morning off without notice.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

These women with their unrealistic demands! It's no wonder men are in charge if women were we'd have no police and men would be the ones with fewer jobs and less pay!

(Also, I'm going to guess that if we're talking employment at the university here in 1970, the ratio is probably far worse than 4 women to 5 men. especially if you take out support positions and things like cleaning and food service people. I'm sure I'm not blowing anyone's mind with my insight here but I wanted to say it for the record.)

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 28, 2016

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

"Mary Worth, I'm feeling a little down. I feel like I don't have any friends at college."
"I think you should try making friends at college."
"My God, Mary... you're a genius."

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I can't wait to see what lame group whats her face gets involved with at college. Or, alternatively, which cult recruits her.

e-I see her name is Dawn, but I stand by my descriptor of whats her face. :colbert:

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Pickles

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Wallace the Brave

Dadding Badly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Johnny Walker posted:

Can anyone explain this one to me? I don't see how it's about sex.

Google "wet and messy"

• Locked thread