Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

multijoe posted:

It does mean WB is more likely to let Snyder keep doing his thing and less tempted to pull a 180 on the franchise and break out the quip book and low consequences 'fun'. In that sense, I am glad the film is selling well

Man.

People going out of their way to defend this movie sure do bring up comparisons to Marvel more than actual Marvel fans. Seems kind of insecure. Why do you think the alternative is Marvel? I mean, Fox makes movies in a certain style too. Some of them have even been movies people like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TFRazorsaw posted:

People going out of their way to defend this movie sure do bring up comparisons to Marvel more than actual Marvel fans. Seems kind of insecure. Why do you think the alternative is Marvel?

Because a large proportion of critics flat out said "this isn't Marvel (and I don't like it)".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Man.

People going out of their way to defend this movie sure do bring up comparisons to Marvel more than actual Marvel fans. Seems kind of insecure. Why do you think the alternative is Marvel? I mean, Fox makes movies in a certain style too. Some of them have even been movies people like.

Nearly every negative fan review I have seen of the film has some comparison to the MCU and usually holds those films up as "done right."

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

So, no, no :dance:ing here.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Man.

People going out of their way to defend this movie sure do bring up Marvel more than actual Marvel fans. Seems kind of insecure. Why do you think the alternative is Marvel? I mean, Fox makes movies in a certain style too. Some of them have even been movies people like.

Because that's the most commonly presented alternative and what alot of blogs and fanboy commenters have been calling for, and as I like Snyder's take on the genre I'd rather not see that happen. Why is that such a controversial opinion?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

BvS was great and I am happy to see more sequels in the same good style.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

multijoe posted:

Because that's the most commonly presented alternative and what alot of blogs and fanboy commenters have been calling for, and as I like Snyder's take on the genre I'd rather not see that happen. Why is that such a controversial opinion?

I've seen it primarily from professional critics and BvS's own defenders than actual Marvel fans, but that's my own experience.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TFRazorsaw posted:

I've seen it primarily from professional critics and BvS's own defenders than actual Marvel fans, but that's my own experience.

So, anecdotal you say?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TFRazorsaw posted:

Why can't professional critics be Marvel fans?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Now that the console wars are over DC vs Marvel is back in a big way.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rhyno posted:

So, anecdotal you say?

Both multijoe and I are going off of anecdotes, yes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Both multijoe and I are going off of anecdotes, yes.

As am I. But you present it as if it was the norm when my experience says the opposite.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

What frickin fb memes are you seeing dude? Because they are NOT the Facebook memes im seeing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only thing I wish this movie cribbed from Marvel was Marvel's patience.

And less threatening to flame thrower people.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TFRazorsaw posted:

I look forward to people saying that this means the movie is actually good, while continuing to decry other similarly bloated, brainless affairs as terrible despite making similar amounts of money.

I mean, prior to the box office numbers, people were doing little victory dances declaring this movie definitively bad because of a low RT score, despite RT similarly being a terrible metric for determining the value of a movie.

Not saying that box office is by any means, and while I liked it I am not going to defend it as great cinema or whatever. But there are a ton of people who seem very emotionally tied to their opinion of the movie being canonically "right", instead of just letting people judge the movie themselves.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean, prior to the box office numbers, people were doing little victory dances declaring this movie definitively bad because of a low RT score, despite RT similarly being a terrible metric for determining the value of a movie.

Not saying that box office is by any means, and while I liked it I am not going to defend it as great cinema or whatever. But there are a ton of people who seem very emotionally tied to their opinion of the movie being canonically "right", instead of just letting people judge the movie themselves.

There's a very vocal, very large Marvel vs DC bias that is drowning out people who just want to genuinely enjoy the film.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

There's a very vocal, very large Marvel vs DC bias that is drowning out people who just want to genuinely enjoy the film.

The Marvel vs DC thing is just fuckin' tiring on both sides. It's even more pathetic than console fanboying because there's no actual investment there. Marvel doing well isn't going to kill DC films or vice-versa.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

net cafe scandal posted:

So, no, no :dance:ing here.

All :dance:ing will be ban on sight, correct.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Same, as well, also. Me too

net cafe scandal posted:

Now that the console wars are over DC vs Marvel is back in a big way.

Whence the civility of "The Distinguished Competition"? A more civilized argument, from a more civilized age.

I remember when I gave a poo poo about comic book sales, it was embarrassing. Now we have been poisoned by MrBibs and people are praying The Avengers won't (or will) be proved better than Batman v Superman in the court of money

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

The Marvel vs DC thing is just fuckin' tiring on both sides. It's even more pathetic than console fanboying because there's no actual investment there. Marvel doing well isn't going to kill DC films or vice-versa.

Just generally

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Phylodox posted:

Just generally

Except Avengers movies.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mr Hootington posted:

Except Avengers movies.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

The only thing I wish this movie cribbed from Marvel was Marvel's patience.

And less threatening to flame thrower people.

Iron Man flamethrowers people flat out in his first outing. But I guess it's fine because Marvel "did it right".

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Marvel is good at having endless horde type enemies. Iron Man 1's bad guys for most of the movie are stupidly generic evil terrorists so it's okay for them to die horribly since Iron Man is funny and his suit is cool.

I don't think anyone even really has a problem with Batman or Superman killing people, but rather a problem with how it''s delivered. Like if Superman punched Zod so hard Zod died at the same moment they show the rest of the Kryptonians/engine stuff getting sucked into the phantom zone and then Superman cracked a one liner no one would have batted an eye about it and people would think it was the best superhero movie ever made except for Pa Kent advocating child murder.* That there was any consequence or actual game changing to how Superman feels or how the world is in the movie was too much for people.

There's nothing wrong with not wanting dramatic weight attached to superhero antics, but people want to have their cake and eat it too and act like mainstream superheros are high art creations worthy of intense evaluation and respect while at the same time completely dismissing and hating anything that isn't within their super narrow vision of what the "right" way to make a movie about them is.

*More than Superman's snap decision with Zod that was so overblown to me. By the time I got around to actually seeing Man of Steel from what I heard from my friends/etc. I was expecting to see Kevin Costner show up during the bus scene and push that last kid's head back under water or something. A hilarious misread of Costner's entire character people already had in their heads just based on that one line without any context in the trailer.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 27, 2016

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Weird that the sonic the hedgehog av haver possesses transparently autistic opinions on which gigantic corporation produces the best strong fight man punch movies.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jason Momoa is so pumped on Instagram for the DC stuff that's in store. His excitement is nice in all this shitstorm.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I really really hope Aquaman turns out good, and not even mainly for myself, Mamoa deserves a good movie, he really does.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I actually am autistic, you know. Not that this justifies your transparent ableism.

Of course, now that I've said "ableism" I await the inevitable cries to go back to Tumblr or wherever you think I belong or whatever else you choose to say. I'm hoping I can get bingo, I'll get a free ice cream.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Everyone should subscribe to him - he's one of the realest celebrities out there. :)

He had a cool Hawaiian vacation this summer and was posting tons of pics of catching fish and partying with his local friends. He's so chill and cool.

https://www.instagram.com/prideofgypsies/?hl=en

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Vintersorg posted:

Everyone should subscribe to him - he's one of the realest celebrities out there. :)

He had a cool Hawaiian vacation this summer and was posting tons of pics of catching fish and partying with his local friends. He's so chill and cool.

https://www.instagram.com/prideofgypsies/?hl=en

I like celebrities that have dorky pretentious screen names like the rest of us as opposed to boring first name last name ones

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Just got back from it. Fun movie, but not a very good one and I kept annoying my sister by giggling at moments that were clearly supposed to be tense and dramatic. Batman, Wonder Woman, and Lex were all great, Superman was boring and Lois was a shallow damsel in distress. Also tries way too hard to set up a big epic DC universe with Darkseid as the big bad.

Not that I think there's a lot that can be done with Doomsday, but he's just a CGI monster. Bit of a waste.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

broken clock opsec posted:

Iron Man flamethrowers people flat out in his first outing. But I guess it's fine because Marvel "did it right".

Iron Man murdered terrorists who were keeping him hostage to make weapons to kill more people. Probably would've chopped his head off too.

I'm very okay with self defense movie murder. Not okay with flaming throwing people's moms

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

CelticPredator posted:

Iron Man murdered terrorists who were keeping him hostage to make weapons to kill more people. Probably would've chopped his head off too.

I'm very okay with self defense movie murder. Not okay with flaming throwing people's moms

I mean no one's supposed to be okay with someone trying to flamethrower Clark's mom? That's what it's bad? And that's why that guy was a bad person, because he wanted to flamethrower Martha?

People seem really shocked that DC comic book movies have bad people doing bad things, and that heroes get really pissed at bad things happening. "The power of love" is Jesus' super power, not Superman's.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

"The power of love" is Jesus' super power, not Superman's.

considering the movie spends a lot of time in effort to equate Superman with Jesus...

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

TFRazorsaw posted:

considering the movie spends a lot of time in effort to equate Superman with Jesus...

So? Superman has solved problems by punching them since his inception. I mean if we want to go full Captain Planet and have his power be The Power of Heart than that's cool, but that isn't what Supes has been about in the past.

He's been about personal sacrifice for the greater good of mankind for a while now but that doesn't mean that comic book fans wouldn't get enraged at Supes trying to hug it out with people.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's just so loving harsh though. Like I know there are dark batman and superman comics, so maybe I'm in the
minority but I just like a nice catch all. Little bit of darkness, a little bit of fun. That element is just horrific and brutal in very off putting way.

Like, "oh no there's a bomb in the room" is different because it's quick, and impersonal. What's in the movie just doesn't sit right with me at all in a movie with Superman in it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

By the time he was fully armored none of those dicks could do poo poo to him but he still set everything on fire including people instead of just turning a cheek and activating the jetpack. That's not "self defense".

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

HIJK posted:

He's been about personal sacrifice for the greater good of mankind for a while now but that doesn't mean that comic book fans wouldn't get enraged at Supes trying to hug it out with people.

I actually want that, though? I mean, that'd be pretty great.

From Batman too. More stuff like that moment in BTAS where he gets Harley some gifts and less of him being Dick Cheney in a flying mouse costume.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

broken clock opsec posted:

By the time he was fully armored none of those dicks could do poo poo to him but he still set everything on fire including people instead of just turning a cheek and activating the jetpack. That's not "self defense".
So it's only self defense if they're on earl ground?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Wait, someone flamethrowers Ma Kent?!? What the ever loving hell?!? I'm starting to feel like I should see this movie just to witness firsthand how insane it is.

Like...is this Zach Snyder's complete emotional breakdown in film form or something?

• Locked thread