Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

TFRazorsaw posted:

I actually want that, though? I mean, that'd be pretty great.

From Batman too. More stuff like that moment in BTAS where he gets Harley some gifts and less of him being Dick Cheney in a flying mouse costume.

Me too actually. I kind of like that the DCAU went there with Supes, like he tries to reach out to Lex when they find out he has cancer and Supes immediately tries to help him. :kimchi:

But that doesn't make this dramatic stuff any less enjoyable to me. It's just a different kind of Trinity. If I want lighthearted jokes while they blow up skyscrapers I can go rewatch JLU for that. For a dark and sober take I enjoyed the hell out of BvS.

These things can coexist and there's nothing offensive about dark and sober.

Phylodox posted:

Wait, someone flamethrowers Ma Kent?!? What the ever loving hell?!? I'm starting to feel like I should see this movie just to witness firsthand how insane it is.

Like...is this Zach Snyder's complete emotional breakdown in film form or something?

"Emotional breakdown" :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Phylodox posted:

Wait, someone flamethrowers Ma Kent?!? What the ever loving hell?!? I'm starting to feel like I should see this movie just to witness firsthand how insane it is.

Like...is this Zach Snyder's complete emotional breakdown in film form or something?

No. Lex Luthor has a goon set to do so, but Batman happens.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah no it doesn't happen, but it's threatened.

Personally just do not like it. Just don't gently caress with moms yo.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Also, it occurs to me that if DC doesn't want to be compared to the Marvel universe, they shouldn't bloody well invite it. I mean, the set up for Darkseid is the exact same as as the set up for Thanos short of him actually showing up, Wonder Woman is as essential to this story as Black Widow was to Iron Man 2, and there's more call forwards per capita in this movie than the majority of stuff from Phase 1. I mean, using DC's actual counterpart to Thanos (to the point the latter is often called a stand-in for the former in regards to the actual media) is transparent enough.

They obviously want to copy their success with a similar formula, so people shouldn't cry foul when people point out how said efforts do or don't work.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TFRazorsaw posted:

I mean, the set up for Darkseid is the exact same as as the set up for Thanos short of him actually showing up

Not in the slightest.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Not in the slightest.

Dude, they even have their own box-shaped macguffin and flying, yellow-brown insectoid-slash-space reptiles.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Also, it occurs to me that if DC doesn't want to be compared to the Marvel universe, they shouldn't bloody well invite it. I mean, the set up for Darkseid is the exact same as as the set up for Thanos short of him actually showing up, Wonder Woman is as essential to this story as Black Widow was to Iron Man 2, and there's more call forwards per capita in this movie than the majority of stuff from Phase 1. I mean, using DC's actual counterpart to Thanos (to the point the latter is often called a stand-in for the former in regards to the actual media) is transparent enough.

They obviously want to copy their success with a similar formula, so people shouldn't cry foul when people point out how said efforts do or don't work.

Thanos wants the Infinity Gauntlet from almost Day 1, we don't know what Darkseid's deal is yet. Just that he's been summoned.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

as overstuffed with set up as this movie is, i'm kind of surprised they didn't just loving tell us what Darkseid want's already.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

HIJK posted:

Thanos wants the Infinity Gauntlet from almost Day 1, we don't know what Darkseid's deal is yet. Just that he's been summoned.

knowing what I know about Darkseid, replace the infinity gems with "anti-life" and they'll be good to go. Either way it will lead to a Heroic Battle For Earth between him and all the heroes, just with more Jesus metaphors.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

knowing what I know about Darkseid, replace the infinity gems with "anti-life" and they'll be good to go. Either way it will lead to a Heroic Battle For Earth between him and all the heroes, just with more Jesus metaphors.

And it'll be great! :science:

dingdingdingdingding

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Hopefully it will end with Barry Allen vaporizing himself to save the universe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TFRazorsaw posted:

Dude, they even have their own box-shaped macguffin and flying, yellow-brown insectoid-slash-space reptiles.

Well, this is the problem, you're fixated on McGuffins. The villain is not introduced through RPG quest props, nor is his purpose vague, even if he isn't named. The appearance of the Parademons (also not named, or commented on) are merely nightmare versions of the bats that ascend Bruce to godhood. The sequel pitch is a story about whether or not Batman is ready to actually confront Evil. I defy you to explain what Thanos is after, despite numerous appearances.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

purple and evil

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

NecroMonster posted:

purple and evil

*grins*

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Well, this is the problem, you're fixated on McGuffins. The villain is not introduced through RPG quest props, nor is his purpose vague, even if he isn't named. The appearance of the Parademons (also not named, or commented on) are merely nightmare versions of the bats that ascend Bruce to godhood. The sequel pitch is a story about whether or not Batman is ready to actually confront Evil. I defy you to explain what Thanos is after, despite numerous appearances.

Judging by what I know of him and the material in the movies itself, I imagine it has something to do with death. And DC is definitely going to have plot coupons of their own, one has already down up.

But you have to preconceive elements of the comics for either of them to expect anything, so, again, Darkseid's set up isn't any better. All that's missing is a visible presence.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i forgot strong, he's purple and evil and strong

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

TFRazorsaw posted:

How is this the movies fault? Your tears come from the DC vs Marvel thing that's been going on for decades now. No poo poo they have similar villains. You can like both and see how they turn out.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

How is this the movies fault? Your tears come from the DC vs Marvel thing that's been going on for decades now. No poo poo they have similar villains. You can like both and see how they turn out.

My point isn't anything about the movie being good or bad (right now) so much as the attitude that "DC is doing its own thing, not trying to do what Marvel did, so don't compare them", when DC is, at least in some respects, doing exactly that.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

but more seriously he's arrogant and grandiose, with a definite flair for the dramatic.

we know all of this thanks to exactly one movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

NecroMonster posted:

but more seriously he's arrogant and grandiose, with a definite flair for the dramatic.

we know all of this thanks to exactly one movie.

See, if the characterization were as strong, it would be extremely easy to put him opposite Iron Man for a number of reasons without any "proper setup".

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

That's true, but maybe the set up is intended to be part of the fun?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

NecroMonster posted:

That's true, but maybe the set up is intended to be part of the fun?

To each his own, often that just feels like TV show wheel spinning. The alleged build up comes across like scheming Skeletor, drink more Ovaltine stuff. Thanos has an idea almost as cool as Darkseid, each drat gem and the glove don't need their own miniseries.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So Superman ignored Batman for all this time? The Joker? I believe Alfred mentions offhand that him and Bruce have been fighting crime for 20 years

BvS starts 18 months after Man of Steel. 18 of those 20 years Superman didn't exist. When Joker was pulling his poo poo Clark Kent was probably a day laborer in Alaska or whatever.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CelticPredator posted:

Just don't gently caress with moms yo.

Is there a DC origin story that doesn't involve a dead parent?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TFRazorsaw posted:

My point isn't anything about the movie being good or bad (right now) so much as the attitude that "DC is doing its own thing, not trying to do what Marvel did, so don't compare them", when DC is, at least in some respects, doing exactly that.

Your admitted mental health issues prevent you from approaching this from an objective point of view. Every comparison you have made so far has been laughably off base.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I actually think the preview of the Darkseid etc... in the trailers and movie are from the actual Justice League movie. Batman vs Superman spoiler I think that Darkseid raises Superman from the dead to do his bidding and the Justice League fights him

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

it's nice when people make it clear why you shouldn't bother with them.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Your point isn't really about the movies at all, dude. Is there anything in the movies about homie's love for death? Guardians makes him out more like the evil leader of a Space Dojo from a wuxia movie they've never released, with his badass henchdaughters, or maybe a Space Narco bossing around the small time local Space Gangsters.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

bring back old gbs posted:

Your admitted mental health issues prevent you from approaching this from an objective point of view. Every comparison you have made so far has been laughably off base.

jesus christ

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The teaser at the end of Avengers. But, that requires prior knowledge of the character to actually understand.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

The Marvel vs DC thing is just fuckin' tiring on both sides. It's even more pathetic than console fanboying because there's no actual investment there. Marvel doing well isn't going to kill DC films or vice-versa.

There's a legitimately large chance of Disney/Marvel taking over how superhero movies, and to a lesser extent, summer blockbusters are created for a while. If alternatives don't succeed, there is a chance for a bit of a genre monopoly as people try to ape them or fail, which no movie fan should want.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

The teaser at the end of Avengers. But, that requires prior knowledge of the character to actually understand.

Just like Batman's dream. That's the point I'm trying to make, really.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Darko posted:

There's a legitimately large chance of Disney/Marvel taking over how superhero movies, and to a lesser extent, summer blockbusters are created for a while. If alternatives don't succeed, there is a chance for a bit of a genre monopoly as people try to ape them or fail, which no movie fan should want.

But Superman killed Zod and that's terrible!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TFRazorsaw posted:

Just like Batman's dream. That's the point I'm trying to make, really.

The imagery is much, much stronger, without explaining a thing. That's the point I'm making. A Wikipedia summary makes them sound the same but watching the two side by side is a very apparent difference.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

Is there a DC origin story that doesn't involve a dead parent?

The Flash (either Jay or Barry)

though I haven't read DC stuff in ages, it's totally possible they've somehow retconed his origin to be tragic instead of klutzy

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The imagery is much, much stronger, without explaining a thing. That's the point I'm making. A Wikipedia summary makes them sound the same but watching the two side by side is a very apparent difference.

I was too distracted by Batman being out of character (mitigated by the fact that it's a dream) and the ill-fitting visual connections to fighting against insurgency, but fair enough point.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LGD posted:

The Flash (either Jay or Barry)

though I haven't read DC stuff in ages, it's totally possible they've somehow retconed his origin to be tragic instead of klutzy

Barry Allen is actually the first DC guy to come to mind when I think of dead mom origin. Maybe they invented that for the TV show though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TFRazorsaw posted:

I was too distracted by Batman being out of character (mitigated by the fact that it's a dream) and the ill-fitting visual connections to fighting against insurgency, but fair enough point.

You have that backward. In the dream, Batman is the insurgent.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You have that backward. In the dream, Batman is the insurgent.

The enemy is a faceless paramilitary force fanatically loyal to their god. It's a role reversal, yes, but an uncomfortable one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

What's out of character for the movie's Batman?

TFRazorsaw posted:

The enemy is a faceless paramilitary force fanatically loyal to their god. It's a role reversal, yes, but an uncomfortable one.
It's the perfect wet dream for a paranoid schizo xenophobe

• Locked thread