Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ok Fella posted:

The look of the film was the main problem for me. It was like what a teenager from the early 90's would think the future looks like.

The world outside of his apartment wasn't quite as interesting as everything that goes on inside it, I'll give you that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Ok Fella posted:

I like Gilliam quite a bit but this one was just wasn't doing it for me.

The look of the film was the main problem for me. It was like what a teenager from the early 90's would think the future looks like.

Listen, I survived Tideland. I'll take this instead.

Eraser Talk: what a lazy gently caress movie. Bad guys want to sell/keep secret a giant magic gun deal. What do they do? Use it constantly. Oh and textbook C effort James Caan and a subvillian with implied rape goals. Its weird how PG this movie is but then that just pops in. After "In like Flint", and "Our Man Flint" it saddens me to see James Coburn underutilized.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Tideland was good!

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Junkie Disease posted:

Listen, I survived Tideland. I'll take this instead.

Eraser Talk: what a lazy gently caress movie. Bad guys want to sell/keep secret a giant magic gun deal. What do they do? Use it constantly. Oh and textbook C effort James Caan and a subvillian with implied rape goals. Its weird how PG this movie is but then that just pops in. After "In like Flint", and "Our Man Flint" it saddens me to see James Coburn underutilized.

Eraser is a b-tier late 90s action movie with all the good and bad that entails. I'm not sure I would recommend it, but it definitely hits all the notes you would expect.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I was about say any movie where Arnold dives out of a plane without a parachute is great, but then I remembered he did it recently in a movie I didn't like so much.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Tideland was good!

Try watching it with family

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah no thanks.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Gyre posted:

What are some nice feel-good movies/series that aren't too schlocky? I've been very depressed and anxious lately and I thought that watching Master of None would cheer me up, only to be sucker-punched by the season finale. I can handle drama, but right now it has to be like Disney where you know everything will turn out okay.
Still Bill, the Bill Withers documentary. One of the few documentaries about a music star which just makes you happy for him and everybody for the entire time.

It was up on netflix instant for ages but isn't on right now. Worth finding it though.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 25, 2016

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Tideland was good!

VERY good, I'd even say.

I actually liked Zero Theorem OK, possibly because I clicked on it with the lowest possible expectations for a Gilliam film (I was thinking "it simply cannot be worse than Brothers Grimm and I sat through that")

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Good lord, I forgot he made Brothers Grimm.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The hosed up thing with Grimm was that of his recent films it was the closest in look and tone to his older films, but with zero charm or decent acting. It was so close to being classic Gilliam, but with every little thing hosed up just enough that the whole becomes a complete piece of garbage.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Junkie Disease posted:

Try watching it with family

I did and we all loved it. :colbert:

Then again, our traditional family movie growing up was RHPS so maybe we have skewed values.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Watched the new Pee-Wee movie last night. Really liked it. First time I've seen any Pee-Wee stuff. To me, it's a pro-queer, pro-nonvanilla, pro-be-your-weird-self movie with an optimistic outlook on people in general. All set in a fun world where anything's possible. For kids and adults. Kids and adults need to hear that stuff sometimes! I'm gonna watch more Pee-Wee now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It was weird that in general it felt like a good kids movie, but had a couple of parts that were probably a little too racy for young kids. I liked it, though it dragged a bit after the jumped out of the plane.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mescal posted:

Watched the new Pee-Wee movie last night. Really liked it. First time I've seen any Pee-Wee stuff. To me, it's a pro-queer, pro-nonvanilla, pro-be-your-weird-self movie with an optimistic outlook on people in general. All set in a fun world where anything's possible. For kids and adults. Kids and adults need to hear that stuff sometimes! I'm gonna watch more Pee-Wee now.

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure is an amazing movie.

Big Top Pee-Wee...not so much.

If you can find his original HBO special from the 80s it's also great, especially when viewed through the lens that a stage show targeting adults that satirized children's entertainment wound up becoming a legit children's entertainment franchise.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mescal posted:

The 50s anachronism feels anachronistic. Whereas in the 80s people had a working knowledge of it from tv reruns and other parody, and most adults remembered it. Now it seems like something kids won't understand because they've never seen it anywhere else.

"The past" is now like 1970-1985. It's like Reubens' aesthetic judgment is frozen where it was when he was 28.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Jack Gladney posted:

The 50s anachronism feels anachronistic. Whereas in the 80s people had a working knowledge of it from tv reruns and other parody, and most adults remembered it. Now it seems like something kids won't understand because they've never seen it anywhere else.

"The past" is now like 1970-1985. It's like Reubens' aesthetic judgment is frozen where it was when he was 28.

The fact that it was directed by a Wonder Showzen guy instead of Tim Burton probably didn't help.

In general it reminded me a bit of a (much cheaper) version of the aesthetic of The Muppets, and it even had a few of the same gags like the town population sign going down when the protagonists leaves.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just can't believe Paul Reubens is 63. Motherfucker still looks 30 in the movie.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

precision posted:

I just can't believe Paul Reubens is 63. Motherfucker still looks 30 in the movie.

Apparently a lot of the budget was due to having to use CGI to touch up Rubens to hide his wrinkles. If you see his live appearances he's smeared in pancake makeup and looks way different.

Plus he uses an old drag queen trick:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ouch. Say what you will, the man suffers for his art.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

I haven't watched the new Pee Wee movie yet, but the revamped Breakfast Machine scene better include that neck-adhered face-stretcher.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Mescal posted:

I'm watching it now, and I agree. I might have to find Pee-wee's Big Adventure some time (which I might have seen when I was young?). I like Pee-wee's laugh and other little noises.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

DorianGravy posted:

I'm watching it now, and I agree. I might have to find Pee-wee's Big Adventure some time (which I might have seen when I was young?). I like Pee-wee's laugh and other little noises.

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure is also on Netflix streaming.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

DorianGravy posted:

You should watch it, like, right now. It's Tim Burton's second best movie. Also Danny Elfman's first movie score and interestingly enough still his best.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

You should watch it, like, right now. It's Tim Burton's second best movie. Also Danny Elfman's first movie score and interestingly enough still his best.

What u think is his first? Judging by this post...ima guess "Ed Wood"

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Elfman's Batman Returns score makes me want to dramatically kick in doors and make declarations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Hat Thoughts posted:

What u think is his first? Judging by this post...ima guess "Ed Wood"

I enjoy Big Adventure way more, but I think from a movie making standpoint, Ed Wood is the better one.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

I enjoy Big Adventure way more, but I think from a movie making standpoint, Ed Wood is the better one.

I'm just happy to have guessed correctly!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Ya'll need to get a room... With Pee-Wee

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I love big adventure but that movie is really front loaded and I would say kind of loses steam halfway through. However it has one of my favorite gags of all time.

"I remember...the Alamo"

"Yeehaw!!"

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The_Rob posted:

I love big adventure but that movie is really front loaded and I would say kind of loses steam halfway through. However it has one of my favorite gags of all time.

"I remember...the Alamo"

"Yeehaw!!"
I dunno, I think the phone booth scene was probably the best in the movie, if I'm recalling the right peewee film.

Cyndi Lauper: "Where' you calling from?"
Peewee: "Texas! Honest! Listen I'll prove it! The hills at night are big and bright-"
*holds up phone, crowd all stops and bursts into song*
"DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS!" *clapclapclap*

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

coyo7e posted:

I dunno, I think the phone booth scene was probably the best in the movie, if I'm recalling the right peewee film.

Peewee: "Texas! Honest! Listen I'll prove it! The hills at night are big and bright-"

Yeah that's a great scene too.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Sleeveless posted:

Apparently a lot of the budget was due to having to use CGI to touch up Rubens to hide his wrinkles. If you see his live appearances he's smeared in pancake makeup and looks way different.

Yeah he's on Gotham right now as Penguin's father and definitely doesn't look 30. Not bad for 63 though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Big Adventure also has the big chase through the studio at the climax which is wonderful.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

Jose Oquendo posted:

We all know Elfman's best score is Weird Science.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sleeveless posted:

They did a similar thing to Brent Spiner on Star Trek Nemesis because he had just completely let himself go in the interim after Insurrection.

It, uh, didn't help.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Tacopocalypse posted:

We all know Elfman's best score is Weird Science.

If you want to get technical Oingo Boingo did the title song but not the film score itself. That song does own bones though.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jose Oquendo posted:

And I just searched Netflix to watch Ed Wood again and WHAT THE HELL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

coyo7e posted:

my man

That ain't Cyndi Lauper!