Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

are amoleds any good nowadays or are they still garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dodoman posted:

That can't be real

thats what you get 3d rendering through purely nadir photography. and not enough datapoints I guess

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Linguica posted:

are amoleds any good nowadays or are they still garbage

much like plasma, burn in will never go away

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Millstone posted:

Sorry I will secure my shitposting in the future

lol why are nerds so in love with amoled? I had a galaxy nexus and the display was utter garbage

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Citizen Tayne posted:

lol why are nerds so in love with amoled? I had a galaxy nexus and the display was utter garbage

better specs

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Citizen Tayne posted:

newer = better. iphone doesn't have it = that makes it ever betterer

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Citizen Tayne posted:

it's theoretically better in some respects but it has a very short life and has burnin

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

computer parts posted:

it's theoretically better in some respects but it has a very short life and has burnin

Nice AV

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

its a bad movie

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007
tfw Xcode's Accessibility Inspector tells you UI Element names that are completely wrong for AppleScript

AXSplitGroup, role name: split group, applescript name: splitter group
AXRowCell, role name: cell, applescript name: UI Element because gently caress you

It wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't so sparsely documented, but holy gently caress when you have to write AppleScript to spit out the correct element names for every child object in the AppleScript DOM as they apply for _that specific app_ :ughh:

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

TFW I don't give a poo poo

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

TFW Nobody Cares

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

TFW Reddit Is Leaking

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

tbf, the galaxy nexus screen was notoriously bad. amoled's come a long way since then, and in terms of performance, it's better than lcd in every respect and allows for things lcd doesn't

Apr 7, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

tbf, the galaxy nexus screen was notoriously bad. amoled's come a long way since then, and in terms of performance, it's better than lcd in every respect and allows for things lcd doesn't

Such as?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

you can turn on parts of it separate from the entire screen which is definitely something that isn't a complete loving stupid gimmick and is actually a useful feature for neurotypicals

also black pixels are off entirely

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
and yet all advantages are useless because of burn in

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Amoled screens look beautiful

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dodoman posted:

Amoled screens look beautiful
yea i might be wrong here, but i think that colour reproduction for latest generation amoleds is not really matched by other screens

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tbf apple
will
only release it if it's ready for the big time

Apr 7, 2003

kalstrams posted:

yea i might be wrong here, but i think that colour reproduction for latest generation amoleds is not really matched by other screens

You're wrong here, oversaturated reproduction is not accurate reproduction.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Citizen Tayne posted:

You're wrong here, oversaturated reproduction is not accurate reproduction.
i didnt imply its accurate, that not a thing in consumer grade screens much like it isnt in consumer grade audio

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
yeah outside of oversaturation oled/amoled screens are much more pleasing to look at.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Dodoman posted:

yeah outside of oversaturation oled/amoled screens are much more pleasing to look at.

true, they are brighter, but the tech is still having issues

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
i think we can all agree pleasing aesthetics don't necessarily translate to good products

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

99.9999999999999% of people don't really know what a color correct screen would look like

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

paging pagancow

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
also pentile.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

that too, but mostly i was thinking "they'll like hearing the screen is color accurate" without actually seeing if the claim is true

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

triple sulk posted:

99.9999999999999% of people don't really know what a color correct screen would look like
they'd think they look like apple displays, which are generally ok for what they are

amoled is a cool and nearly mature enough technology. a non garbage company that gave a poo poo could probably make v nice (non pentile (lol), calibrated) amoled displays

it's not like lcd tech is immune to "higher numbers == better than" idiots making a mess

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

did you know????? RGBG=2 pixels

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Amoled displays are perfectly fine as long as you don't go outside and use it in sunlight (has never occurred for a typical anorid user ) so it's unknown what effects it would have on nt iphone users

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Millstone posted:

Amoled displays are perfectly fine as long as you don't go outside and use it in sunlight (has never occurred for a typical anorid user ) so it's unknown what effects it would have on nt iphone users

nah they're brighter now and supposed to be fine in the sun

and you're supposed to buy a new one or trade it in at the apple store before burn-in is much of an issue

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

uncurable mlady posted:

you can turn on parts of it separate from the entire screen which is definitely something that isn't a complete loving stupid gimmick and is actually a useful feature for neurotypicals

also black pixels are off entirely

don't white pixels use a lot more energy though

i remember that being a controversy because all of google's apps were white without any option to change it

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Soldier of Fortran posted:

they'd think they look like apple displays, which are generally ok for what they are

amoled is a cool and nearly mature enough technology. a non garbage company that gave a poo poo could probably make v nice (non pentile (lol), calibrated) amoled displays

it's not like lcd tech is immune to "higher numbers == better than" idiots making a mess

is sony's oled tech their own spin on it? the original vita had an oled screen and burn in wasn't that much of a problem.

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007

zen death robot posted:

iPhone screens are kind of a pain in the rear end to see in bright sunlight especially if you have sunglasses on

I've found toggling night shift to be super useful for that situation, but my eyes are all kinds of hosed anyway and having even minimal warm color shifting tends to help a lot for me.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Dodoman posted:

is sony's oled tech their own spin on it? the original vita had an oled screen and burn in wasn't that much of a problem.

the vita unless it's set for full power mode clamps the output, it's a sad screen but not many used it

there is some cases though

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
and they changed it to lcd anyway because it was "just as good as oled"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Dodoman posted:

it does get weird blotches u can see when the screen is displaying black pixels tho. still looks nicer than the lcd model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

computer parts posted:

don't white pixels use a lot more energy though

i remember that being a controversy because all of google's apps were white without any option to change it

white uses more than black, yes, for fairly obvious reasons, and i'm fairly certain subpixels even use different amounts of power at a given luminosity. they also wear at different rates*, hence some really weird custom roms that make the entire screen red to preserve the blue and green subpixels, as well as use less power. i don't know if the actual in-use difference would really show up at the end of a day, though.

*current tech is rated at something like 25k-40k hours to half the luminosity. virtually no phone will ever get that much use in its lifetime, though a display model left on 24/7 will show noticeable effects pretty quickly as a result. i'd be concerned about the long-term effects on a tv, though.

• Locked thread