Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I thought it was Seifer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mega64 posted:

Bullshit, everyone recognizes my Bartz avatar just fine.

are you sure thats not teedus

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I literally thought it was David Bowie. Alternatively, Setzer.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tempo 119 posted:

Nah Etro is what the whole "important plot details hidden in the datalog" complaint is about. The ending is supposed to be ~mysterious~ so you'll go piece together what happened and talk about it in the playground and so on, but most people just went "ok fine, they shrugged it off, makes about as much sense as everything else".

You could be right. One thing I appreciated on my second playthrough of XIII after I had played XIII-2 is that Yeul actually existed before XIII-2. I thought she was created for that game. But nope, Seers and The Goddess and all that poo poo was around even back in the first game, it's just you'll never know any of it unless you go out of your way.

Tempo 119 posted:

Yes I know Lightning's on the cover, I never said she wasn't

She may not be very visible in the game but she's always the objective you're working towards. If it was Sazh on there or something I'd be confused but Lightning is a totally valid choice to represent the game (as is Caius) unless you subscribe to the idea that the only acceptable cover art character is the one you control

XIII-2 really irritated me at first because Serah and Noel are handed loving time travel powers and all they can think to do with them is "gotta find Lightning!" Because if I could travel hundreds of years or alter the future, lord knows all I'd ever conceive of doing is finding Lightning.

But somewhere along the way, finding Lightning stops being the main objective and SAVING THE HUMAN RACE takes priority. That's when I started to like the game. The whole holding up Cocoon thing and whatnot was pretty neat.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

You could be right. One thing I appreciated on my second playthrough of XIII after I had played XIII-2 is that Yeul actually existed before XIII-2. I thought she was created for that game. But nope, Seers and The Goddess and all that poo poo was around even back in the first game, it's just you'll never know any of it unless you go out of your way.

XIII-2 really irritated me at first because Serah and Noel are handed loving time travel powers and all they can think to do with them is "gotta find Lightning!" Because if I could travel hundreds of years or alter the future, lord knows all I'd ever conceive of doing is finding Lightning.

But somewhere along the way, finding Lightning stops being the main objective and SAVING THE HUMAN RACE takes priority. That's when I started to like the game. The whole holding up Cocoon thing and whatnot was pretty neat.

too bad they didnt manage to do it i guess

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

NikkolasKing posted:

Finding Lightning was important to the world of fashion.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

tbh i just find it kinda lovely because i know that everything they do in 13-2 doesn't mean jack poo poo (since caius wins and also serah dies)

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

tbh i just find it kinda lovely because i know that everything they do in 13-2 doesn't mean jack poo poo (since caius wins and also serah dies)

Somewhere out in the wilderness there's a flanitor and a chichu that look back on those days ever so fondly

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Tempo 119 posted:

Somewhere out in the wilderness there's a flanitor and a chichu that look back on those days ever so fondly

You probably killed them along with the rest of their entire races in LR. :rip:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Mega64 posted:

Bullshit, everyone recognizes my Bartz avatar just fine.

You need to have your eyes checked, friend, that's clearly Locke.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

actually, it's terra

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Once I found this out, I stopped taking it seriously, which is about when I started to have fun with it. I guess it also helped that I didn't like Serah much either.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mog is what kills FF13-2 for me. I can skip over all of the extremely stupid and bad cutscenes but I can't skip Mog's awful awful voice. Ok Mog and the combat changes kill the game for me.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ventana posted:

Once I found this out, I stopped taking it seriously, which is about when I started to have fun with it. I guess it also helped that I didn't like Serah much either.

What about Noel? Serah was just kind of whatever to me but I liked Noel That helped me enjoy XIII-2.

Anyway, FF3 Progress.
Switched Refia from Geomancer back to Red Mage because RM is too stylish to ignore.
Just got the Water Crystal Jobs and am uncertain of what to try out. This batch seems much more interesting than the last one. Dark Knight and Dragoon and Bard and Summoner...erm, Evoker? I wanna test them all out. Oh and Viking, which doesn't interest me at all.
Bard seems pretty cool but I dunno if it's worth anything in terms of damage. It's just that we haven't had any buffs all game and I would feel better if we did. But that would leave only two people to do damage.
Dark Knight's Souleater seems pretty good but I will need to level it up if I want to do real damage for bosses and the like.
Dragoon sounds cool but the only Jobs I'm willing to change are Refia's and Luthen's. If I switch Luthen to Dragoon, he loses the Blood Sword, which I like a lot. And Refia I like to keep in some sort of "mage' capacity. Two mages, two physical classes.
And Ingus is my Monk and is such a high job level he gets a billion hits. I don't want to change him. And Arc is my White Mage and I most assuredly can't change him. So that leaves only Refia and Luthen who are flexible.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Barudak posted:

Mog is what kills FF13-2 for me. I can skip over all of the extremely stupid and bad cutscenes but I can't skip Mog's awful awful voice. Ok Mog and the combat changes kill the game for me.
You can throw mog off cliffs and platforms which is pretty alright.

I came around on 13-2 by the end on the strength of more Caius monologues in the final 1/3.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

AlphaKretin posted:

You probably killed them along with the rest of their entire races in LR. :rip:

They don't call her Lightning "Fast Genocide" Farron for nothin'. :v:

zedprime posted:

You can throw mog off cliffs and platforms which is pretty alright.

I came around on 13-2 by the end on the strength of more Caius monologues in the final 1/3.

Hey kupo. Quit chuckin' innocent moogles off the ledge, kupo. Hearing them say kupo in Explorers is actually pretty jarring, kupo.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

Just got the Water Crystal Jobs and am uncertain of what to try out. This batch seems much more interesting than the last one. Dark Knight and Dragoon and Bard and Summoner...erm, Evoker? I wanna test them all out. Oh and Viking, which doesn't interest me at all.

I'm glad you want to try out Dragoon and Dark Knight because you basically need to switch your entire party to those classes to progress in a couple areas.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

:stare: Lightning just hurled an agoraphobic moogle into the air. GOTY every year, not the worst game in the series.

Also thanks to widespread because I was going to reply to him saying that, funnily enough, I hadn't run into any Last Ones yet and now I've extincted the entire Jagd Woods.

E: ...were those Meonektons there before? Guess that exact claim is inaccurate but it was 3 in short succession.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 27, 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

I'm glad you want to try out Dragoon and Dark Knight because you basically need to switch your entire party to those classes to progress in a couple areas.

Dark Knights are bad actually because Souleater takes away a critical amount of HP that is the difference between life and death against a boss' magic attacks. I switched to Dragoon.

But for the "Dark Knight dungeons" all you gotta do is hit hard enough. Like, say, if you have a max Job Level Monk. Seriously, I just fought Leviathan and Bahamut. Retaliate does max damage. It was awesome - Leviathan used its first turn to cast Protect on itself and then attacked Ingus. His counter no longer could do 9999, now it did a mere...8300.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Bards are really awesome support units. First time I beat the game it was Bard/Bard/Ranger/Geomancer. I only had to swap out the Geomancer for the final dungeon.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

AlphaKretin posted:

E: ...were those Meonektons there before? Guess that exact claim is inaccurate but it was 3 in short succession.

Meonektons are the replacement monster pretty much. They have a impossibly high count to extinct (65535, I think?) so they'll show up more as you beat more Lost Ones. There's another way to deal with them specifically along with any other Lost Ones you might have missed.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

AlphaKretin posted:

:stare: Lightning just hurled an agoraphobic moogle into the air. GOTY every year, not the worst game in the series.

Also thanks to widespread because I was going to reply to him saying that, funnily enough, I hadn't run into any Last Ones yet and now I've extincted the entire Jagd Woods.

meonektons are the only monster it is impossible to extinct through normal means. you still can, but it's a special thing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

meonektons are the only monster it is impossible to extinct through normal means. you still can, but it's a special thing

Could you do it with cheat engine to eliminate the time limit and then grind like a maniac for 200 hours.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

In Training posted:

Could you do it with cheat engine to eliminate the time limit and then grind like a maniac for 200 hours.

all things are possible if you are retarded

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh that makes sense. Not a bad choice for unkillable* filler, their fights are relatively engaging without being a pain in the rear end.

E:VVV That would explain why I was seeing them outside the woods too, though I did also fight Last Ones for the main monsters in the woods.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 27, 2016

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

AlphaKretin posted:

Meonektons replace all outside monsters from like 4-6 AM, whether you've genocided anything or not. And they're also the replacement for when you genocide stuff.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

And that's FFIII done. Beat it in 31 hours and at Level 52.

Not half as bullshit or irritating as some claimed. If anything, it was too easy by the end. Devout and Black Belt are too OP. I should try the game again with only initial Jobs - I basically did that already seing as I rolled with Red Mage, Monk and White Mage right up until the last crystal. Only other Job I used substantially were Knight and Dragoon.

I thought people said enemies get three turns? There was precisely one enemy I saw getting three turns, the last boss before Cloud of Darkness. Even COD only got two turns. Thank God, Particle Beam and that slap can wreck your day. Thankfully I had stocked up on Elixirs and, as I said, Devout is OP so Arise over and over. Still, it was a close thing. She used that drat big move of hers every turn and I was in a res-loop until I said gently caress it and had Black Belt Ingus attack. Turns out she was practically dead and died to that one attack, which is probably why she was spamming her big move.

Also I thought Cloud of Darkness was some scantily-clad chick, not...um...whatever that thing was.

I was worried because I was told earlier classes can't equip later equipment. Was afraid my Red Mage would become obsolete. But nope, they can wear the Crystal armor set just fine and even wield Excalibur. RM Refia did about 7000 a turn with the only drawback being she couldn't take a hit because I had the Black Robe on instead of Crystal Mail. Also an extra healer is always good as a safety net. Overall, Red Mage was awesome in this game - much better than in V.

The music really ramps up and gets good once you get to the surface world .I love the music for when time is stopped and then for the final dungeons. Cloud of Darkness' final boss music was...not that great but oh well.

Overall, had fun. Would play again.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 28, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
ff8 owns

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

Turns out she was practically dead and died to that one attack, which is probably why she was spamming her big move.

You got Arise off before the boss got to kill your white mage, that's pretty amazing. The thing about RNG is that it can gently caress you hard, but it doesn't always. Consider yourself extremely lucky, and be glad that the gambler's fallacy is real because if it wasn't, the RNG would be working against you for the rest of your life.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

You got Arise off before the boss got to kill your white mage, that's pretty amazing. The thing about RNG is that it can gently caress you hard, but it doesn't always. Consider yourself extremely lucky, and be glad that the gambler's fallacy is real because if it wasn't, the RNG would be working against you for the rest of your life.

Well, I wasn't sure how Haste worked in this game because it says "increases attack speed." I just made sure to put it on my Devout Arc at the start. Maybe that helped?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

In the early games without ATB Haste raises the number of hits per attack you get so it's basically a damage boost.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Took me days just to find four damned chocobos to unlock this place and all I got was another stupid chocobo. At least I got an AP Egg, Machina Reactor and a bunch of other items.

So, is there anything else to do with these birds besides that dungeon?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

AlphaKretin posted:

http://i.imgur.com/JxUqZxc.gifv
:allears:

VVV Ehn, this should be smaller anyway.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 28, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

E: nm had a webm here that broke tables. might replace it if i can figure out how to shrink it

You can just link it instead of embedding it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

when will mog get a louis voutton job

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

when will mog get a louis voutton job
What do you think the purses are made of?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
'You threw that moogle a lot further than Serah ever did...'

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Saint Freak posted:

'You threw that moogle a lot further than Serah ever did...'

Lightning Farron: model, pitcher, eclair enthusiast.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mega64 posted:

Finding Lightning was important to the world of fashion.

Without Lightning we would never have been given the gift of the Moogle Suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I just started up FFXII after years and years not playing it (IZJS this time), and it's kind of interesting how much FFXIV took from it, stylistically. Everything from the movement/camera style to the targeting lines to the light blue dotted lines indicating area transitions.

Dear god, is it ever tough to go back to, though. You can tell the PS2 had huge issues rendering everything, because your choices are basically "zoomed the gently caress in facing forward" or "top down," camera-wise. It's so easy to get lost just because of that, and it makes it kind of frustrating to try again.