Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ehud posted:

my man

That ain't Cyndi Lauper!
you just ruined my childhood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Cyndi Lauper did sing the theme to Pee- Wee's Playhouse, at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0bHUtpXI3o

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I watched He Never Died. Pretty good, pretty weird but not in like a David Lynch way, more like in a Henry Rollins way. It almost felt like a tv show pilot more than a movie, but I'm ok with it.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I think Henry Rollins gets too many free passes just because of his music history. He's not a good actor.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
He almost always shows up in things that are legit fun to watch. Do you really watch stuff with Henry Rollins in it, to comment on his acting? I thought it was because you wanted to see Henry Rollins doing some fantastical poo poo in a fantastical setting.

you may as well be critiquing Hobo With A Shotgun for the leading role's performance

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Ok Fella posted:

I think Henry Rollins gets too many free passes just because of his music history. He's not a good actor.

He doesn't need to act though, he just needs to be himself and it's engrossing.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I've seen him in a ton of movies and it's always some random "hey here's Henry Rollins" type deal. Its never anything significant, you could have plugged in 20 other actors in the same part and no one would know the difference.

Watching his stand up specials is more like a chore than anything. Yeah dude I want to listen to you bitch about what music and celebrities you don't like for an hour. No thanks.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ok Fella posted:

I've seen him in a ton of movies and it's always some random "hey here's Henry Rollins" type deal. Its never anything significant, you could have plugged in 20 other actors in the same part and no one would know the difference.

Watching his stand up specials is more like a chore than anything. Yeah dude I want to listen to you bitch about what music and celebrities you don't like for an hour. No thanks.
Oh drat. I was going to use this somewhere else but this is just so much more apropos

I'd love to see some examples of a Henry Rollins role/cameo where he's not literally just being himself (maybe with some glasses on), though.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Ok Fella posted:

I've seen him in a ton of movies and it's always some random "hey here's Henry Rollins" type deal. Its never anything significant, you could have plugged in 20 other actors in the same part and no one would know the difference. .

I mean, u just explained the difference urself.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

coyo7e posted:

I'd love to see some examples of a Henry Rollins role/cameo where he's not literally just being himself (maybe with some glasses on), though.

That's all he does acting wise? Being a famous person in some random movie role doesn't make it good.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Ok Fella posted:

That's all he does acting wise? Being a famous person in some random movie role doesn't make it good.

And yet James Hong turned it into one of the most decorated filmographies of all time. Maybe... some people are just interesting and you're not one of them?

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

coyo7e posted:

He almost always shows up in things that are legit fun to watch. Do you really watch stuff with Henry Rollins in it, to comment on his acting? I thought it was because you wanted to see Henry Rollins doing some fantastical poo poo in a fantastical setting.

you may as well be critiquing Hobo With A Shotgun for the leading role's performance

Uhm, I agree Henry Rollins is dope and in good movies, but Rutger Hauer made Hobo With A Shotgun. The movie wouldn't be nearly as good without his genuinely great performance.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
He plays against type in Feast and it's alot of fun.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Chichevache posted:

And yet James Hong turned it into one of the most decorated filmographies of all time. Maybe... some people are just interesting and you're not one of them?

James Hong is a legit good actor though.

And yes some people are interesting! I just don't think Henry Rollins is outside of his music, his schtick got old really fast.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I watched He Never Died. Pretty good, pretty weird but not in like a David Lynch way, more like in a Henry Rollins way. It almost felt like a tv show pilot more than a movie, but I'm ok with it.

Definitely a pilot, I assume they are going for a Netflix series or something. It isn't bad I actually enjoyed it, but the pacing and even the finale don't make sense as a standalone movie.

Good example of playing to the actors strength, Rollins looks like an old badass but isn't particularly emotive, so he nails it. I wonder if he took this to try and get cast as Cable.

I like the choice to go body horror rather then action or stupid tv karate. I think my favorite scene was just him listing all his jobs.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

coyo7e posted:

you just ruined my childhood

It was however E.G. Daily:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW2LOaCHhOg

Also the voice of Tommy Pickles on Rugrats, and Buttercup on Powerpuff Girls.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Henry Rollins is one of the best things about the only good Wrong Turn movie....

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
On a whim, I watched Entertainment over the weekend, and it was...something. In a good way. Greg Turkington portraying himself on tour as Neil Hamburger (a character I hadn't seen in like 10 years) trudging through a surreal Lynchian odyssey. I've seen some reviews describe it as an "anti-comedy" and it's pretty apt. Certainly are funny parts, and a sprinkling of actual Neil Hamburger standup, but that's not the core of the film.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ok Fella posted:

Henry Rollins is also usually only in movies for like five minutes, to be fair. When he's actually playing a major character he generally does something other than just "being Henry Rollins."

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

LogisticEarth posted:

On a whim, I watched Entertainment over the weekend, and it was...something. In a good way. Greg Turkington portraying himself on tour as Neil Hamburger (a character I hadn't seen in like 10 years) trudging through a surreal Lynchian odyssey. I've seen some reviews describe it as an "anti-comedy" and it's pretty apt. Certainly are funny parts, and a sprinkling of actual Neil Hamburger standup, but that's not the core of the film.

Is it on Netflix? I've really been wanting to see this.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Saturday, I was looking for some background noise while I was painting, and flipping through my "top picks," I came across a movie starring Owen Wilson, Zach Galafanakis, and Amy Pohler. Without really reading the description, I had expected a dumb comedy that I wouldn't really have to pay attention to, but could stop and watch when I needed to wait for paint to dry.

Are You Here turned out to be a pretty a pretty good movie in my opinion about mental illness and happiness, and I ended up just watching the whole thing for the next two hours.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Thsts by uh, Matthew Weiner, the Mad Men guy

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hat Thoughts posted:

Thsts by uh, Matthew Weiner, the Mad Men guy

I've never watched Mad Men :shrug:

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

The_Rob posted:

Is it on Netflix? I've really been wanting to see this.

Yeah, I believe so for US Netflix. Off chance I watched it on Prime though and forgot.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I watched the movie Faults on Netflix the other day and I really liked it a lot. I don't know how to describe it other than "low key thriller". It was a pretty original premise, I loved the performances of the two leads and now I'm looking through the Independent section of Netflix for other stuff I might like.

What are some other things I might like if I liked Faults a lot?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Queen of Earth is on Netflix. You might like Bug, that's apparently on Hulu.

I'm aware this is the streaming thread but if you like well-made locked-room dramas starring Mary Elizabeth Winstead then 10 Cloverfield Lane is also good.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

morestuff posted:

Queen of Earth is on Netflix. You might like Bug, that's apparently on Hulu.

I'm aware this is the streaming thread but if you like well-made locked-room dramas starring Mary Elizabeth Winstead then 10 Cloverfield Lane is also good.

Saw Queen of Earth, haven't seen Bug so I'll check that out.

And yes, 10 Cloverfield Lane was very good. When I saw she was in Faults I was sold.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Ehud posted:

I watched the movie Faults on Netflix the other day and I really liked it a lot. I don't know how to describe it other than "low key thriller". It was a pretty original premise, I loved the performances of the two leads and now I'm looking through the Independent section of Netflix for other stuff I might like.

What are some other things I might like if I liked Faults a lot?

If you liked the psychological/cult aspects of the film, I'd suggest giving Martha Marcy May Marlene a shot. I'll second that Bug is also an excellent film (and play) that provides an intimate, closed off and repulsive look at mental illness and influence over others.

If you're into more B-Movie schlock The Killing Room and Cabin Fever might be worth a watch too. Not sure if any of these are available on streaming.

God Hole fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 28, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
How is Documentary Now?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

How is Documentary Now?

lovely first episode, really good next couple episodes, downhill again on the last two or three.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

How is Documentary Now?

I've only watched the VICE parody episode, which is good.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nanook of the North and The Thin Blue Line episodes are loving hilarious. The latter episode is also an extremely well-crafted homage to the point that I could have sworn some of the footage they used was right out of Errol Morris's original. The attention to detail is crazy good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Henry Rollins is certainly not good in everything he does but he absolutely killed it in He Never Died

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

precision posted:

Henry Rollins is certainly not good in everything he does but he absolutely killed it in He Never Died

and killed everybody else too!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I had trouble getting over the 90's Lifetime movie of the week quality, but it was a fun enough watch. Or maybe it wasn't. I enjoyed it but I watched it in 4 sittings. It was pretty crappy.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

Edminster posted:

lovely first episode, really good next couple episodes, downhill again on the last two or three.

I liked how silly the first episode was, but the rest of this statement I agree. Steep decline after The Eye Doesn't Lie.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

How is Documentary Now?

I think it's one of the funniest things IFC has put out. I regularly quote the show now.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Slandible posted:

I think it's one of the funniest things IFC has put out. I regularly quote the show now.

I've never heard of it till now, but the first episode is a parody of Grey Gardens? That seems like a pretty obscure and specific subject for an introductory episode. I really want to check it out now, though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

wa27 posted:

I've never heard of it till now, but the first episode is a parody of Grey Gardens? That seems like a pretty obscure and specific subject for an introductory episode. I really want to check it out now, though.

You know, its interesting, I brought up Grey Gardens to my mother who is almost 60, and she knew all about it and remembered it very well. I think it was very well known, especially for a documentary, in the late 70's early 80's. Like how you can typically walk up to someone on the street and they'll know about Grizzly Man, I think Grey Gardens was one of those docs that really broke through into mainstream consciousness.

None of that explains why a parody of it would appeal to 20 or 30 somethings though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

As a 32 year old, Grey Gardens has been a pretty common interest / obsession for a lot of my friends for about 10 years. I think it's a pretty timeless documentary that gets referenced enough in pop culture that people seek it out.