Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Eh I use my del key a ton and I can't remember ever using my numpad on any keyboard that I had with one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I used to work data entry, so I'm used to typing words with my left hand and entering a lot of numbers with my right.

I also like roguelikes and some don't play nicely without a numpad for movement.

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK
I know there are a million options, but any good suggestions for a full keyboard with some sort of media buttons? My current keyboard has a toggle that turns the F keys into media keys that I kind of like. It also has Cherry Browns, but I don't think I'm overly attached to those. I would probably never use a backlight.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I got this recently. It has what you want.

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B00IYJD5CY?th=1&psc=1

It was hard to find any I liked without the lights. You can easily cut them off. I love it though and you can choose what key type you want.

RBX fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 26, 2016

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

funroll loops posted:

I know there are a million options, but any good suggestions for a full keyboard with some sort of media buttons? My current keyboard has a toggle that turns the F keys into media keys that I kind of like. It also has Cherry Browns, but I don't think I'm overly attached to those. I would probably never use a backlight.

The Das Keyboard 4. Great volume wheel, media keys, no backlight. I have had one for almost a year now and love it except for the lack of backlit keys. But that is more due to me liking to be in the dark than anything.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

chippy posted:

I type and code all day on a CODE w/clears and don't find them tiring at all. Those of you who find them tiring, do you by any chance bottom them out all the time? I find Clears to be one of the easiest switches to learn not to bottom out, because the resistance ramps up quite sharply after actuation and almost provides a sort of cushion. Once you learn not to push them all the way down, you can actually type pretty lightly on them.

echinopsis posted:

I find that disconcerting, never being sure if I've hit the key

This is about a million pages late but I find the tactile bump of the key (which is quite pronounced on the Clears), the increase in resistance and the visual feedback of stuff happening on the screen to be more than enough to know that I've hit the key.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I'm trying to decide what mechanical keyboard to buy and it's proving a bit of a challenge. I'm in the unusual position of not having a basic lovely keyboard to fall back on - I'm about to set about putting together a new desktop computer but have been reliant on laptops the last few years. I would like to get a quality keyboard but deciding what to buy is hard work.

From reading about the different types of cherry switches used I concluded that brown switches were the most likely to be satisfactory. I will be using the keyboard primarily to type and not for gaming. I've disliked keyboards that I've used in the past that have required a large amount of pressure to activate the keys, which is why I concluded brown was a better choice than blue since apparently blue offers slightly more resistance? I would also quite like the keyboard to have macro/programming capability, and it needs to be fullsize, with both arrow keys and a numpad.

It's tough to search for good options since any search I attempt mostly seems to turn up "gaming" keyboards, which either don't specify what type of switches they have or specify red switches, which I'm led to believe are more for gaming than they are typing. Also when I do find something, invariably the photos of the product will show it with US keyboard layout, even while saying in the description that it's UK layout, which makes me wary. It seems like it's difficult to be an informed purchaser of keyboards!

I found this, which looks like it ticks all my boxes but is also more expensive than a lot of the other options and has all of this multicoloured programmable backlighting poo poo that I don't anticipate finding useful. On a more entertaining note I also found this which boasts "extreme anti-ghosting" (whatever that is) and claims that it will 'prevent me from pressing the key of "win"'.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
CM Quick Fire TK showed up today (USPS delivers on Easter, yay). Spent some time playing with it, and the layout is indeed what I wanted. It's still not perfect, as I prefer the Ctrl/Alt/Win keys to all be standard 1.25x size, but that's a minor annoyance. More annoying though is that the arrow cluster part of the numpad have the switches rotated 180 degrees with the LED on the bottom (as they only light up when NumLock is turned off, and the arrow legends are on the bottom), which means that backlighting LED covers won't stay on. I could get them to stay if I tape it to the sides of the switch, but that has a pretty big negative effect on the keypress feel, so in the end I had to just leave them off. Might consider removing them and rotating them back to be LED on top, but that's rather more effort than I care to spend right now. I also wish the NumLock/CapsLock indicator LEDs were less bright. But overall it's pretty good, and after about an hour spent on switching keycaps/LED covers, I'm satisfied with the way it looks:

Hammerite posted:

From reading about the different types of cherry switches used I concluded that brown switches were the most likely to be satisfactory. I will be using the keyboard primarily to type and not for gaming. I've disliked keyboards that I've used in the past that have required a large amount of pressure to activate the keys, which is why I concluded brown was a better choice than blue since apparently blue offers slightly more resistance? I would also quite like the keyboard to have macro/programming capability, and it needs to be fullsize, with both arrow keys and a numpad.

How deep of macro/programming are you looking for? And do you need actual discrete macro keys, or programming of any/all of the 104 keys? The latter is fairly rare on full-size keys as they're not required to have full keyboard functionality like they are on tiny (60%) keyboards.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hammerite posted:

I'm trying to decide what mechanical keyboard to buy and it's proving a bit of a challenge. I'm in the unusual position of not having a basic lovely keyboard to fall back on - I'm about to set about putting together a new desktop computer but have been reliant on laptops the last few years. I would like to get a quality keyboard but deciding what to buy is hard work.

It's tough to search for good options since any search I attempt mostly seems to turn up "gaming" keyboards, which either don't specify what type of switches they have or specify red switches, which I'm led to believe are more for gaming than they are typing. Also when I do find something, invariably the photos of the product will show it with US keyboard layout, even while saying in the description that it's UK layout, which makes me wary. It seems like it's difficult to be an informed purchaser of keyboards!

I found this, which looks like it ticks all my boxes but is also more expensive than a lot of the other options and has all of this multicoloured programmable backlighting poo poo that I don't anticipate finding useful. On a more entertaining note I also found this which boasts "extreme anti-ghosting" (whatever that is) and claims that it will 'prevent me from pressing the key of "win"'.

If you think you want browns you actually want clears

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

GokieKS posted:

How deep of macro/programming are you looking for? And do you need actual discrete macro keys, or programming of any/all of the 104 keys? The latter is fairly rare on full-size keys as they're not required to have full keyboard functionality like they are on tiny (60%) keyboards.

Just having some macro keys would do for me.

echinopsis posted:

Interesting, why do you say so?

A co-worker has a "Ducky" brand kb, I should ask him if I can give it a try.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

echinopsis posted:

And if you think you want clears you really want 55g topre.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Matias click are the best Blues, and Topre 55g are the best Browns. Matias linear are the best Reds.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ColHannibal posted:

topre are a want. clears are a need. wake me up when I win the lottery

Hammerite posted:

Interesting, why do you say so?

They are browns with a higher actuation force but the end result ends up being just a more definite typing experience. it's not like clears should be considered heavy but browns should be considered light. perhaps too light. these don't feel heavy, they feel perfect

ALSO the material on the keycaps matter. like A LOT.. ABS is for suckers. Get PBT or you might wonder what the big deal is

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
What do the rubber O-rings do for a cherry board? Also, would they be better paired with Blue or Brown switches? I can't decide which type of switch to get for my first board.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Fixit posted:

What do the rubber O-rings do for a cherry board? Also, would they be better paired with Blue or Brown switches? I can't decide which type of switch to get for my first board.

They soften the bottoming out, giving you more of a squish than a clack. I don't really care for them.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Hammerite posted:

2 questions:

Do you want rob backlighting and do you want your keyboard to make a click noise.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
:slick:

Pienipple's comment about Roguelikes hit me hard and suddenly made me realize I might need that dang number pad after all. So now it is back to the drawing board after I almost pulled the trigger on that sweet deal from the other day.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fixit posted:

on the lighter switches there is a strong tendency to bottom the gently caress out all the time, so they add squish. it sucks mate

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

echinopsis posted:

They are browns with a higher actuation force but the end result ends up being just a more definite typing experience. it's not like clears should be considered heavy but browns should be considered light. perhaps too light. these don't feel heavy, they feel perfect

ALSO the material on the keycaps matter. like A LOT.. ABS is for suckers. Get PBT or you might wonder what the big deal is

I figured I want to err on the side of lighter switches because I have used keyboards in the past that required a lot of force to activate the keys and I didn't like them. They were probably cheap keyboards though. Now I'm unsure again. I need a reference point. I should try out my coworker's keyboard tomorrow, see how it feels, and find out what switches it has inside.

re: keycap material, noted.

ColHannibal posted:

2 questions:

Do you want rob backlighting and do you want your keyboard to make a click noise.

I don't know what "rob backlighting" is and googling for that phrase and for "rob backlighting keyboard" did not turn up anything helpful, so I have no idea.

I don't mind whether it makes a click noise. If feedback that a key was struck is available in some tactile way rather than a click then that's fine. But this is for my study at home so it doesn't matter if it is clicky, there's no-one to disturb or annoy.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
He probably meant rgb backlighting

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

TheQat posted:

He probably meant rgb backlighting

In that case, no I don't need it. I guess it looks kind of neat but I don't see myself missing it if it's not there.

I feel like some of these keyboard details are things that I just wouldn't notice in practice. It's difficult to tell from reading what would actually make a difference to me and what's audiophile-type detail accessible only to really huge enthusiasts.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

ColHannibal posted:

I have my clears and liked them the most out of the ones on my cherry switch tester. Why do I want 55g topres instead? Do they click? I don't like clicks.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Whoever said if you want browns you should get clears was right. I have browns at work and I'm just like man.... I should got something else.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Audax posted:

Whoever said if you want browns you should get clears was right. I have browns at work and I'm just like man.... I should got something else.

Sounds like the general consensus is clears, but man do I love my browns.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have both and both have their good feelings. Clears take a while to actually break in but Browns break in really fast.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I ended up getting a KPB V80 with quiet click matias switches. Coming from using browns (and having borrowed a coworker's keyboard with clears for a day), the initial resistance is a bit higher than a brown, but then it gets up to something like a clear near the actuation point. Roughly as tactile as the clears, too, I think, maybe a little more?

I like it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
And still you guys aren't getting the message that the keycap material is just as important. Tell me clears/pbt or clears/abs coz otherwise your opinion is next to worthless

Seriously like clears and blues are night and day difference in switches but the two boards I have with those switches are also blues/abs and clears/pbt and I can't get over the different keycap feeling to determine which switch I actually prefer

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Audax posted:

it was me. don't forget it

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Unless it's a greasy secondhand keyboard from the IT department's spares bin, I don't really care what the caps are like as long as they can withstand me throwing my paws at them all day. I could totally be an outlier here, though. :shrug:

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Hammerite posted:

In that case, no I don't need it. I guess it looks kind of neat but I don't see myself missing it if it's not there.

I feel like some of these keyboard details are things that I just wouldn't notice in practice. It's difficult to tell from reading what would actually make a difference to me and what's audiophile-type detail accessible only to really huge enthusiasts.

I recently got a Logitech G710+ at a bit under $100 at a brick & mortar (in Europe) and I feel it's a solid full size keyboard at that price. MX browns, media keys, volume wheel, USB passthrough port, dedicated macro keys with multiple macro banks to switch between and discrete white backlighting in toggle-able intensity. My last keyboard was a Steelseries 6G with MX blacks and the browns feel better. I have not yet ascended to cup rubber but at the price I feel like it's a good offering.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

rarbatrol posted:

Unless it's a greasy secondhand keyboard from the IT department's spares bin, I don't really care what the caps are like as long as they can withstand me throwing my paws at them all day. I could totally be an outlier here, though. :shrug:

I think the weight and stiffness of the cap alters the actuation force and feel

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I have both and both have their good feelings. Clears take a while to actually break in but Browns break in really fast.

I've never heard anyone claim that Cherry MX switches break in. Has anyone else? I've had my CODE (Clears) for about 18 months. I code on it 40 hours a week so hopefully any breaking in that can occur, has occured. My E key feels identical to my ScrLk key (and testing this was probably the first time I've ever presssed it), so I'm not buying it personally.

p.s. On the Browns/Clears debate - I thought I was happy with my Filco with Browns until I got the CODE for work. Now I really want to replace the Filco at home.

chippy fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 29, 2016

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I have a Das Keyboard with Blues that is probably 9 or 10 years old, and the keys are amazingly light and definitely broken in. Noticeably easier to press than my newer reds. Also more noticeable on the letters and frequently pressed keys.
Kind of an extreme example though..

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 29, 2016

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly I think the breaking in is on the human side. You can't jump on a different board and be immediately great IMO.. It took about a week with the clears for me to realise I prefered them to the blues. Would still love to try a direct comparison with PBT on my blues board but alas that's not happening just now

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
Im pretty sure in the Linus Cherry Factory Tour they broke them in or at least put them through enough QC they may as well have been

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I'm using my coworker's Ducky DK2108 (blue switches) to type this. I can take or leave the clickiness, it doesn't do anything special for me. The keys don't resist much, echinopsis might have been right to recommend clears. It's not a major issue for me though, I would guess I'd probably be ok with the browns if they're about this level of resistance? I like that you feel feedback that a key was hit.

I have to get used to how close together my hands are on this keyboard, my usual work keyboard is one of those Microsoft kbs that have the hands separated. I need to keep that acclimatisation to the new hand position separate in my mind from the "feel" of typing on this board.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Your coworkers would probably care about the clickyness.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i have 4 words for you

pbt on clears, mate

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
note: I have never tried greens. the click of green but the resistance of clears (more or less)

I can't see if the click would really offer more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Your coworkers would probably care about the clickyness.

I'm at work, but I'm evaluating the keyboard because I want to get a kb for home. Maybe after using the kb at home for a while I will be so blown away that I will demand work get me a better keyboard, who knows?

• Locked thread