Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Contagion/Essence Drain Occultist Witch is pretty fun. It's a little weak until 12, but that's hardly that long to wait. It helps to have dual life sprig of course but you can manage without. They're also pretty cheap usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Here is my Blade Vortex necro.

It's tankier then the incinerate cybil paw scion I did during warbands, course that might have to do with the increased access to uniques and finally seeing a raths.
Can handle Atziri and just ran a T12 village ruins and handled the bosses without any chaos resist, the gameplay is similar to righteous fire, except you need to wind up first.

Main weakness is anything that can 1 shot me before bone offering goes up, usually because of the game freezing up for a second on a big attack and another problem is zealot's oath cutting the life regen which is problematic in the labyrinth, you can't mess up too much on the traps without life regen or you'll run out of potions, but aside from that with 3000ish energy shield and multiple ways to regenerate I'm rather hard to kill if I just don't let the energy shield dip to 0 on the hard hitters.

For my next character think I'll make a chaos damage dealer after making a spell/dot/chaos jewel, trying to decide between chaos spark, chaos ice trap, or essence drain.
Whichever can speedrun the fastest without dying.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 28, 2016

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
If you want to do well in a brand new league then be willing to buy a lifesprig.

BannedNewbie
Apr 22, 2003

HOW ARE YOU? -> YOSHI?
FINE, THANK YOU. -> YOSHI.

StashAugustine posted:

Well I was looking for something that a) doesn't need uniques and b) at least vaugely resembles what you want to play at endgame. Ice trap does look fun though, thanks.

I used fire trap in a +1 fire gems wand that I got using the vendor recipe. I also used firestorm + mine + mine field. You can get that pretty early and will mow through absolutely anything, with the only cost being that you have to deal with mines. I mostly used to demolish bosses and rares. I also used lightning trap once I had the option. Until I could use cluster trap, I used multi trap with all but one of my traps. That leaves one trap available that you can target more precisely and throw into cages and such. And once you finally have ice trap and cluster traps you can start to play with your end game skills.

It's probably not as fast as leveling flame totem, but it worked reasonably well. Ice trap is really fun.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's tankier then the incinerate cybil paw scion I did during warbands, course that might have to do with the increased access to uniques and finally seeing a raths.
Can handle Atziri and just ran a T12 village ruins and handled the bosses without any chaos resist, the gameplay is similar to righteous fire, except you need to wind up first.

Main weakness is anything that can 1 shot me before bone offering goes up, usually because of the game freezing up for a second on a big attack and another problem is zealot's oath cutting the life regen which is problematic in the labyrinth, you can't mess up too much on the traps without life regen or you'll run out of potions, but aside from that with 3000ish energy shield and multiple ways to regenerate I'm rather hard to kill if I just don't let the energy shield dip to 0 on the hard hitters.

For my next character think I'll make a chaos damage dealer after making a spell/dot/chaos jewel, trying to decide between chaos spark, chaos ice trap, or essence drain.

Yo, uncheck private.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
I chanced a thing

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

Yo, uncheck private.

fixed it.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Whichever can speedrun the fastest without dying.

How're you maxing your spell block? I thought bone offering was just 35/34?

edit Nvm, I see you reached across with both hands and took all the shield block nodes.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 28, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Rurutia posted:

How're you maxing your spell block? I thought bone offering was just 35/34?

9% from passives and 2% from jewels brings it up to 75/75%.

Question about Vaal Molten shell, when it says triggers when hit, does that count getting hit and blocking the attack, or do you need to take damage? thinking of trying it with 80% increased duration nodes, but might not be that great without a focus on elemental damage and should probably just use vaal haste.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Sotar posted:

I chanced a thing

Grats you gently caress.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Question about Vaal Molten shell, when it says triggers when hit, does that count getting hit and blocking the attack, or do you need to take damage? thinking of trying it with 80% increased duration nodes, but might not be that great without a focus on elemental damage and should probably just use vaal haste.

Blocks prevent damage, but don't prevent the hit itself.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

? Close, but not exactly.

25+35+9+2=71

34+71*.54 = 72.34

I didn't take any shield block nodes on the tree and just ran Rathpith/Rumi's. It's not as nice as having 75/75 without flask, but I didn't want to travel that far on the tree.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Rurutia posted:

? Close, but not exactly.

25+35+9+2=71

34+71*.54 = 72.34

I didn't take any shield block nodes on the tree and just ran Rathpith/Rumi's. It's not as nice as having 75/75 without flask, but I didn't want to travel that far on the tree.

Oh, 25 from Rath + 36/35 from +2 minion level helmet bone offering +9+2 from passive and jewels and +3 from tempest shield cast when damaged = 75.
Which way did you go on the tree?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 28, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Hey what's a good build for starting in a fresh league that isn't: necromancer, earthquake, or tshot

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1510181
RF totems, final answer

its busted and your atziri set can be a 2c sword and capped resists

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Could I perhaps get invited back to the guild? I'm playing as VigilantSplash right now.

A Vigilant strike melee splash/endurance charge on melee stun juggernaut is working way better than I would have expected.

Might be I should have gone with a champion instead, but at least it works.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Yea looking for an invite also to the guild. IRC seems afk so could use an invite in the new league for Taaii. Thanks

Edit - nm, guild is full

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Budgie posted:

THERE'S ONLY ONE SPOT LEFT NOW GUYS. THUNDERDOME FOR ENTRY UNITL APRIL 2ND (if sky remembers to log in and purge)

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Well I was looking for something that a) doesn't need uniques and b) at least vaugely resembles what you want to play at endgame. Ice trap does look fun though, thanks.

Firestorm Trap is cool and good, and available super early.

Firestorm + Trap + added cold or lightning in a 3 link +1 fire skills scepter will get you to 30+ easy.

Alternatively, buy a Fencoil for literally 1 alt and use that.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Mortimer posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1510181
RF totems, final answer

its busted and your atziri set can be a 2c sword and capped resists

I've been using this on my second real character (Vornalg) and compared to the blundering experiment that was my first my power just feels staggering. I beat Cruel Malachai without even breaking a sweat (Cruel Labyrinth was a bit tricky but done roughly at level) whereas on my first character I had to suicide ~10 times into him to do enough damage. The damage is outrageous, It's easy to dodge AoE spam while still killing things, and I feel like I've learned a fair amount about totems and skill gem setups.

Related, I found an exalted orb on this character, and it makes up a huuuuuge portion of my wealth. Given that they're going for ~75c a piece right now, would now be a good time to convert it so I can buy gear in smaller orbs when I hit maps or are they likely to continue raising in value in perandus?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Is there a fun way to run five curses

I'd like to support but not a nineteen aura, sit around doing nothing kind of way

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Ran Maelstrom of Chaos last night, Zana picked it as her daily mission map.

When I killed Merevil, she dropped my first Ventor's Gamble.

It rolled horribly. This is my best memory, but nothing was good but the implicit.
15% increased Rarity of Items found
----
+10 maximum life
10% Reduced Quantity of Items found
25% Reduced Rarity of Items Found
-5% to Fire Resistance
-10% Lightning Resistance
0 Cold Resistance.

For lulz, i hit it with a single Divine Orb. It couldn't get worse, right?

I tried to celebrate in general chat, but after linking it i got spammed with so many whispers wanting to buy it or cursing me out, that my client crashed.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
That ring is worth like 13-14 ex, I'd bet.

God drat.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Manyorcas posted:

I've been using this on my second real character (Vornalg) and compared to the blundering experiment that was my first my power just feels staggering. I beat Cruel Malachai without even breaking a sweat (Cruel Labyrinth was a bit tricky but done roughly at level) whereas on my first character I had to suicide ~10 times into him to do enough damage. The damage is outrageous, It's easy to dodge AoE spam while still killing things, and I feel like I've learned a fair amount about totems and skill gem setups.

Related, I found an exalted orb on this character, and it makes up a huuuuuge portion of my wealth. Given that they're going for ~75c a piece right now, would now be a good time to convert it so I can buy gear in smaller orbs when I hit maps or are they likely to continue raising in value in perandus?

First, nice. Cruel lab is where you get a lot of your power, merc lab is just gravy (much like other builds)

Second, yeah break it up to chaos. Not in order of important for you I'd get:
-a 5link hybrid ES/armor or evasion (I'm not even joking, getting the 5link to put rapid decay on your totems is a massive dps increase, almost as important as cruel lab). Here's a good search set for you http://poe.trade/search/itobutudonautu
-Doedra's damning helm (+curses and really easy to get the right colors, people sell 4 linked ones for 1-2 chaos)
-Doedra's damning ring (sub 1c, allows you to actually put all your curses on enemies)
-Doryani's scepter, this would be the last thing your build needs. Don't even worry about it till maps but once you get these you have the same build as me, except I run an MF set in t12 maps because rf totems is loving busted and you can steamroll anything
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/mortimermcmire/characters

Mystery Prize posted:

God drat.

close, like 4-5 but still nice ring

mbt fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 28, 2016

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Mystery Prize posted:

God drat.

there are standard league rings of similar resists and IIQ that are going for that much, or higher.

But i'm not selling it anytime soon. I like me the triple resists and IIQ. Combined with my Item Quantity gem, it gives me an extra 53% quantity.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

ZenVulgarity posted:

Is there a fun way to run five curses

I'd like to support but not a nineteen aura, sit around doing nothing kind of way
Four is easy. Five? I dunno, I guess one as Blasphemy and the other four with a CoH setup. Less easily applied to enemies at range, but still effective.

I'm also amused at how insanely cheap it is to run five curses. You just need two Doedre's Damnings, a Windscream, and the Whispers of Doom node. Is it even possible to get more?

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

theshim posted:

Four is easy. Five? I dunno, I guess one as Blasphemy and the other four with a CoH setup. Less easily applied to enemies at range, but still effective.

I'm also amused at how insanely cheap it is to run five curses. You just need two Doedre's Damnings, a Windscream, and the Whispers of Doom node. Is it even possible to get more?

Vaal implicit on an amulet for 6.

I think 6 is max right now.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Don't forget Malediction from Occultist for 7.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Rurutia posted:

Don't forget Malediction from Occultist for 7.

It'd be just like the most terrible of 8-mod maps, but for your enemies.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Is it worth me looking to go to 4 curse on my RF totem char? I'd need a 6L weapon, but a curse on hit setup with my OOL (to trigger crits) and Deodre's Helm seemed like it could be really good. Plus no Blasphemy means I get actual auras too.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Run three in a Heretic's Veil with Enlighten and four in a CoH setup.

Malediction gives you 28% extra damage as chaos :getin:

You could also still have room for a few offensive skills, or a couple more auras if you wanted to be full supportbot. This actually sounds hilarious.

...and would still be completely useless on hexproof maps :smith:

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I found a jewel earlier with 16 staff damage, 16 cold damage, 12 crit multi, and 12 melee damage.

Is that good? That seems good.

I feel like I'm getting a sign that I should build a crit Ice Crash character.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

gonadic io posted:

Is it worth me looking to go to 4 curse on my RF totem char? I'd need a 6L weapon, but a curse on hit setup with my OOL (to trigger crits) and Deodre's Helm seemed like it could be really good. Plus no Blasphemy means I get actual auras too.

For what though

Weakness to elements + flammability + temp chains and blasphemy = you're set dude

What auras would you even want to run? just get a vaal skill to pop if you're worried about survivability

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Mortimer posted:

For what though

Weakness to elements + flammability + temp chains and blasphemy = you're set dude

What auras would you even want to run? just get a vaal skill to pop if you're worried about survivability

Vulnerability works with RF and Searing Bond.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Mortimer posted:

For what though

Enfeeble and other stuff is also fun

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

What 6L weapon would you even use?

Also how are you getting around the mana reservation

I'd just blood magic vulnerability in and cast it manually in the 0.5 seconds before things die

e: I posted my MF setup above, I am running tabula in t12 maps and only dying because I didn't pay attention to storm heralds and the like

you don't really need more survivability when the whole build IS survivability.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Mortimer posted:

close, like 4-5 but still nice ring
The cheapest one on poe.trade that has similar stats is 6 ex, and his is quite a lot better.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Mortimer posted:

What 6L weapon would you even use?

Also how are you getting around the mana reservation

I'd just blood magic vulnerability in and cast it manually in the 0.5 seconds before things die

e: I posted my MF setup above, I am running tabula in t12 maps and only dying because I didn't pay attention to storm heralds and the like

you don't really need more survivability when the whole build IS survivability.

Searing Bond would be the only consideration, and I'd rather have Doryani's Catalyst or the Daresso rapier.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mystery Prize posted:

The cheapest one on poe.trade that has similar stats is 6 ex, and his is quite a lot better.

http://poe.trade/search/amaukamekukini

there's a ton that are similar for 4-6 ex sorry duder

peep my char above I have a good ventors and guess what jabrony no one buys em

List it at 12ex then 10ex then 6ex then sell it for 4 ex because that's what people will buy it for :thumbsup:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I have room for a 4 link on my blade vortex assassin that I'm not sure what to do with. I already have a cwdt setup, whirling blades, curses, auras and vaal skills. I was thinking a wither totem since I have the 15% extra chaos from phys damage nodes and I run an atziri flask, but I'm not sure how much I'd actually use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Anyone have a link (or nice enough to host) an up to date item filter? The PoE wiki page is a year or so out of date.

• Locked thread