Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Memento posted:

Cross-quoting from the Idiots in the Military thread:

Atomic gardening isn't actually gone, as the article suggests. It's still commonly done, but by Ag companies in safe environments. Lots of modern crops exist due to gamma ray induced mutations.

It's one reason why the "unnatural" tag on GMOs is nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah. Ruby grapefruit are atomic mutants, for instance!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Don't you remember your 50's b-movies? Insects will eat the atomic fruits and veggies, then they will grow to gigantic sizes where they will eat entire warehouses full of grain, schools full of children, and dance halls full of people run towards the danger instead of away from it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Anytime you see someone who hates GMOs just ask them if they have a dog / like dogs. Cuz guess what, humans genetically modified those organisms. The slow way, but still, we did that.

If they talk poo poo about atomic science being unnatural just show em this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_nuclear_fission_reactor

And anything about chemicals bad, water is a chemical. Anything about nature good, link to various naturally occurring poisons, blah blah.

checkmate, antiGMOailures :smug:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Light Gun Man posted:

Anytime you see someone who hates GMOs just ask them if they have a dog / like dogs. Cuz guess what, humans genetically modified those organisms. The slow way, but still, we did that.

If they talk poo poo about atomic science being unnatural just show em this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_nuclear_fission_reactor

And anything about chemicals bad, water is a chemical. Anything about nature good, link to various naturally occurring poisons, blah blah.

checkmate, antiGMOailures :smug:

did you get all of your opinions from an intro chem teacher?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

A White Guy posted:

did you get all of your opinions from an intro chem teacher?

These are not serious opinions. Sometimes I tell jokes on the joke forum!

Except maybe the one about dogs, dogs are interesting to think about that way.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Reminds me, I got this newsletter from my housing company the other day.

It said to call them if I had a clogged drain, they'd send someone to fix it for free. They also warned to please do not use chemical drain cleaners, because they are "so chemical" that they might dissolve the pipes.

So chemical. Much molecule?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Reply and request that they install plumbing that isn't made of cardboard and granola.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Personally I'd call and ask for chemical-free piping :v:

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

Reminds me, I got this newsletter from my housing company the other day.

It said to call them if I had a clogged drain, they'd send someone to fix it for free. They also warned to please do not use chemical drain cleaners, because they are "so chemical" that they might dissolve the pipes.

So chemical. Much molecule?

I'm going to assume they would prefer to snake it out, but I doubt that connection exists between the person who wrote it and the guy who cleans your drain. He probably just drops some sulfuric acid drain cleaner when it comes down to it. Wonder if they had a precedent for a previous tenant loving up the piping systems.

I'm digging the home chemist's youtube channels you guys linked. I'd wager to bet most of these guys are doing some type of chemistry grad work. If not then it's kind of scary given the chemicals they're producing in some videos. Especially with the PPE choices they often choose to use or not. Still though it's really to see the Niles Red guy go from basic synthesis upward to more complex synthesis. Plus I get to learn about what all those funky glass contraptions are we never touched in O Chem. Chemists come up with some neat solutions to problems regarding reaction conditions! What are the funkiest chemistry techniques or contraptions you guys have heard of?

Edit: VVV is what I had been watching leading up to that post. Guy explains well without droning on to too much detail. He provides enough detail that you could search out more information if need be, but not bog down the videos.

onemanlan has a new favorite as of 15:26 on Mar 27, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Has Nile Red been linked here yet? I really like that channel because he doesn't just do neat syntheses, he also shows off actual chemical techniques that are common in research labs. It's much more accurate than all those "HUHUH let's make some poo poo and blow it up!!!" channels (although those can be fun to watch, too).

If you want to learn some practical chemistry while looking at toxic/explosive/smelly stuff, check out that channel.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

onemanlan posted:

I'm going to assume they would prefer to snake it out, but I doubt that connection exists between the person who wrote it and the guy who cleans your drain. He probably just drops some sulfuric acid drain cleaner when it comes down to it. Wonder if they had a precedent for a previous tenant loving up the piping systems.

Water treatment sets up segregated testing spots wherever convenient and especially for new constructions all owned or partly owned by the same operator. You then get charged out the rear end for non-standard discharge like wacky pH and too much food solids because it can mean pretty severe changes in operating regime and the need for new equipment if the non-standard becomes the new standard.

For stuff like rental properties or HOA managed sewer, it turns into whatever woo about chemicals and garbage disposals they think the residents will believe in service of saving a buck.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

It turns out to be really not that exciting, but I think the idea behind this experiment, "what if you exposed pure cesium metal to fluorine gas?", is in the spirit of the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLOFaWdPxB0

they're all careful and poo poo using minute amounts instead of just remotely dropping the chunk of cesium into a pit full of fluorine, like they should have

something deserving of a soundtrack of blaring triumphant music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY7mTCMvpEM

cowandchick
Mar 24, 2004
moo

onemanlan posted:

Plus I get to learn about what all those funky glass contraptions are we never touched in O Chem. Chemists come up with some neat solutions to problems regarding reaction conditions! What are the funkiest chemistry techniques or contraptions you guys have heard of?

I always thought a Soxhlet extractor was kind of neat and fun to watch in action.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Speaking of opinions, I want to stop burning oil asap so we have more of it to do other things with, like plastic.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
What happened to "Things I won't work with" :(

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Moist von Lipwig posted:

What happened to "Things I won't work with" :(

If you mean the guy's blog, it has moved, not sure how recently.

http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The stuff he will work with is still fairly entertaining.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tunicate posted:

The stuff he will work with is still fairly entertaining.

Things anyone reasonable won't work with: magnesium anywhere near melting point.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

If you've ever wanted to know what methylated spirits tastes like, here's your chance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep2I3Gf3Sec
This reminds me of the time I decided to see just how bad the bitterant in computer duster could be. I sprayed a bit in my mouth, held it for a bit, and spit it out. It tasted bad, but I can't imagine it would deter someone choosing between duster spray and something like spray paint. I took it a bit further and turned the can upside down, soaked a bit of paper, let it warm up, and touched it to my tongue. It tasted bad. Let me elaborate, it may be the closest I've ever experienced to the Platonic ideal of bad tastes. I was constantly reminded of what a bad decision this was as the taste faded and finally disappeared early the next afternoon.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

thespaceinvader posted:

I didn't think of disinfection, but yeah, that's valid. Just nicotine then. Maybe stuff like khat as well. But most of the well-known western recreational drugs are repurposed medicines.

This is from a million pages ago but bupropion is a very popular antidepressant and synthetic cathinone so it's basically based on khat.

Moist von Lipwig has a new favorite as of 04:03 on Mar 28, 2016

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

GWBBQ posted:

This reminds me of the time I decided to see just how bad the bitterant in computer duster could be. I sprayed a bit in my mouth, held it for a bit, and spit it out. It tasted bad, but I can't imagine it would deter someone choosing between duster spray and something like spray paint. I took it a bit further and turned the can upside down, soaked a bit of paper, let it warm up, and touched it to my tongue. It tasted bad. Let me elaborate, it may be the closest I've ever experienced to the Platonic ideal of bad tastes. I was constantly reminded of what a bad decision this was as the taste faded and finally disappeared early the next afternoon.

I did something similar. Except it wasn't to test anything about the bitterant, I hadn't noticed that warning label on the can of duster. I was just using it as a cryo fluid to freeze things, and figured I'd try freezing a piece of candy in it.

Yeah, that taste sticks around for a while. :(

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

During a natural selection experiment in an entry level biology class, I was the only person volunteered to try the generic pet stop chewing spray we were using to coat some apples along with the professor to confirm that it did in fact taste awful. The bitterant in duster isn't much worse. If you want really nasty, get sprayed in the face/mouth by a skunk. Fucker had exceptional aim and the spray is flat out the worst thing I've ever tasted. It was enough to force vomiting pretty much immediately.

Elmnt80 has a new favorite as of 08:50 on Mar 28, 2016

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

cowandchick posted:

I always thought a Soxhlet extractor was kind of neat and fun to watch in action.

Sort of related to the soxhlet is a Wiley extraction apparatus. An odd looking piece of equipment that I've only really seen in old papers or in the little exhibit boxes at uni. It functions similarly to the soxhlet as I understand it. I think the soxhlet extractor is far more elegant though.

I'm bad at imgur so hopefully this album of stolen pictures actually works: http://imgur.com/a/OfDmd

A Dean-Stark apparatus is also pretty spiffy as well for what it is used for (continuous removal of water from a reaction or originally determination of water content).

There are some really bizarre glassware solutions to removing product or sampling mid-reaction that I never learned the names of though. I don't know if they were all custom or just something I've never seen in old papers.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Do you guys ever still blow your own glassware (or have a glassblower on-staff), or is that strictly a matter of ordering nowadays?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Do you guys ever still blow your own glassware (or have a glassblower on-staff), or is that strictly a matter of ordering nowadays?
Glassblowing is a lost art among scientists. Many universities still have a scientific glassblower on staff but usually it's the biologists that are asking for weird and wacky setups.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
Seems like a dying art as universities find ways to cut on funding and you can get a lot of that equipment from large manufacturers. We have a machine shop on campus, but I've never been around any situation where a glass apparatus needed to be made. I wish though.

Somebody earlier in the thread talking about his military lab experience brought up a female researcher in Maryland that studied the energetics of high energy molecules like TNT, HDX, and RDX. I cannot for the life of me find that post in the thread. Can anybody help me identify that researcher? Wanted to show my co-worker.

onemanlan has a new favorite as of 13:39 on Mar 29, 2016

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
We had one or two things where we needed a glassblower, and had to go outside to get one. This was at a fairly major university as well.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign has a glassblower, they're in the chemistry building. Spent a lot of time taking broken glassware down there when I worked in the life sciences building.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
In retrospect, it was pretty drat cool that my highschool chemistry class taught us to blow and repair glassware and fittings.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Alereon posted:

In retrospect, it was pretty drat cool that my highschool chemistry class taught us to blow and repair glassware and fittings.

My second-year chemistry in HS had a short session on it as well - though I think that was something my old biology/chemistry teacher added, not a point in the curriculum. I haven't needed it (mostly because it's sort of tangential to informatics as a field), but it was fun. :)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CausticQuandry on Reddit posted:

I am a chemical technician specialized in electroplating. I keep smelling almonds. My first thought was that somehow potassium cyanide was mixed with hydrochloric acid but, asI am not dead yet, I'm guessing that is not it.

Any ideas? I'm worried but my supervisor isn't answering the phone and the next shift of chem techs will not be here for another 4 hours. I am the only person on this side of the plant but we have a few 3rd shift production employees up front.

Should I evacuate everyone or am I overreacting?

some other guy, echoing the consensus of everyone involved posted:

If I smelled almonds in an electroplating lab known to use cyanide I would get me and my coworkers out of there. Are there no electronic monitors in place? FYI - I have done a lot of work with HCN.

OP soon posted:

I have evacuated everyone out of caution.

OP, hours later posted:

Update- They found the source of the smell. A second shift tech thought it would be a great April Fools prank to put almond extract on the steam lines to my plating tanks. He is of course fired. I have been commended by our safety director and our CEO.

Thanks everyone who helped me and I thank god it was just a prank, albeit the most humorless and despicable prank I've ever seen.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Platystemon posted:

evil reddit quotes

thats evil as gently caress.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bonus from comment on update post:

quote:

We used to have Arsine on site (AsH3), which apparently smells like garlic.

Such a prank would have been taken extremely seriously there as well due to the treatment required to address even a tiny exposure. For example, one gas technician put his thumb over the nozzle of the cylinder valve and turned the handle to check to see if the cylinder was empty. It wasn't. Three "oil changes" (i.e. Blood transfusions) and an amputated thumb later, he survived with dialysis. The gas is now kept under negative pressure adsorbed to activated carbon and the cylinder must be heated to get the gas out. EDIT: Oh yes, it's also pyrophoric

- which I suppose could reduce harm under some circumstances but spontaneously combusting in air gives it a special brand of funness.

Arsine MSDS (PDF warning): https://www.mathesongas.com/pdfs/msds/MATNE520.pdf

Edit - MSDS Excerpt:

NFPA RATINGS (SCALE 0-4): HEALTH=4 FIRE=4 REACTIVITY=2

EMERGENCY OVERVIEW:

COLOR: colorless

PHYSICAL FORM: gas

ODOR: garlic odor

MAJOR HEALTH HAZARDS: potentially fatal if inhaled, blood damage, cancer hazard (in humans)

PHYSICAL HAZARDS: May explode. Flammable gas. May cause flash fire. Flash back hazard. Extremely flammable. May ignite spontaneously on exposure to air.

POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS:

INHALATION:

SHORT TERM EXPOSURE: potentially fatal if inhaled, irritation, cough, garlic odor, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, chills, fever, stomach pain, chest pain, difficulty breathing, headache, dizziness, disorientation, lung congestion, blood disorders, liver damage, kidney damage, nerve damage, effects on the brain, coma, death

Edit - Additional fun info:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/833740-overview#a6

Arsine has been reported to cause immediate death at 150-250 ppm. In addition to absolute concentration, the duration of exposure is another factor that determines toxicity. Exposure to 25-50 ppm for 30 minutes or 100 ppm for less than 30 minutes may also result in massive red blood cell hemolysis and ultimately death. Symptoms may be noticed with concentrations as low as 0.15 ppm, and delirium may be seen at 10 ppm.

Most of the reported deaths are believed to have been secondary to acute renal failure. Of arsine-induced renal failure cases, 100% were fatal prior to the advent of hemodialysis. More recent mortality rates for patients with acute arsine toxicity report death in approximately 25% or less of reported cases.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
That's not a prank that's no longer wanting to work there.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ever wanted to build a thermite launcher? Of course you did! :getin:

http://www.popsci.com/this-homemade-cannon-spits-hot-fire?src=SOC&dom=fb

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Colin Furze always delivers.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Cody really is the greatest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbOt8Au6thY

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well I'm fairly certain after watching that he's upped his likelihood of getting cancer by at least 10%.

Plus he wants to perform backyard uranium extraction :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Whatever happened to David Hahn, anyway?