Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Martman posted:

Ezra Miller looks like some kind of creepily handsome movie star version of Brian Peppers.

Lol.. you're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The best explanation then.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Dave posted:

Not being a comics guy, how powerful is WW supposed to be? It felt a little off balance that she looked like she was having a blast and playing around while everyone else was on the brink of death. She came off as near invincible.

She's literally a God(dess) on Earth, as opposed to the pretender Superman. She's just of the Greek variety rather than the Yahweh one.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
All the other Amazons are just as strong as her right? I wouldn't call her a literal Goddess mainly because the actual Greek gods are out there doin' poo poo allegedly. I always imagined her as like female Hercules. Or super-strong Xena.

edit: vv Oh, so literally female Hercules

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 28, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

All the other Amazons are just as strong as her right? I wouldn't call her a literal Goddess mainly because the actual Greek gods are out there doin' poo poo allegedly. I always imagined her as like female Hercules. Or super-strong Xena.

The current comicbook version of WW is a demi-goddess and the daughter of Zeus.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lego Batman's second and definitely better trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHgQSwgKygk

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy
Money doesn't matter.
Only opinions matter.
Not our opinions though.
The opinions of critics.
And people who upvote star-ratings on IMDB years before the release of movies.

...but not even the 11,000 premature IMDB votes that placed BvS at 9.7 stars months ahead of its release could skew it hard enough to survive the harsh reality of its own awfulness.

There is no war between Marvel and DC studios. There is no throne. There is no scenario here where DC "wins".
When it comes down to making good movies, Marvel has no quarrel with DC. Just as a boot has no quarrel with an ant.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

Your admitted mental health issues prevent you from approaching this from an objective point of view. Every comparison you have made so far has been laughably off base.

wowie

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Boob Marley posted:

Money doesn't matter.
Only opinions matter.
Not our opinions though.
The opinions of critics.

...but not even the 11,000 premature IMDB votes that placed BvS at 9.7 stars months ahead of its release could skew it hard enough to survive the harsh reality of its own awfulness.

There is no war between Marvel and DC studios. There is no throne. There is no scenario here where DC "wins".
When it comes down to making good movies, Marvel has no quarrel with DC. Just as a boot has no quarrel with an ant.

Nice meltdown.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 28, 2016

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Boob Marley posted:

Money doesn't matter.
Only opinions matter.
Not our opinions though.
The opinions of critics.

i'm so glad you and your crusade have returned

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boob Marley posted:

Money doesn't matter.
Only opinions matter.
Not our opinions though.
The opinions of critics.

Please continue posting, I love this poo poo.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Boob Marley posted:

Money doesn't matter.
Only opinions matter.
Not our opinions though.
The opinions of critics.

Yes

Can you please update the chart that has all of the superhero movies over the past 20 years or whatever? TIA

The MSJ posted:

Lego Batman's second and definitely better trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHgQSwgKygk

This was the trailer we got at my BvS showing (minus the intro) and it was a massive hit.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Opening night we got the batcave teasers. I guess they're swapping out different teasers?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

computer parts posted:

From what we saw, the colonies reverted back to barren moon-like worlds, which is probably how they started out. Earth is already able to support life, and even if the terraforming fails they'll just get superpowers instead (though I don't think they knew that at the time of the speech).

I think super strength and toughness came from yellow sunlight, while weirder effects like heat vision, sensory overload, and flight (as well as respiratory problems and other growing pains) came from sunlight plus earth's specific atmosphere. Terraforming would get rid of the latter stuff.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Isn't BvS making like all the money right now?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Shageletic posted:

This one weird trick to make a billion dollars at the box office. Movie review bloggers hate it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Boob Marley posted:

Money doesn't matter.
Only opinions matter.
Not our opinions though.
The opinions of critics.

You are my second favorite poster in here now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shageletic posted:

It's doing very well for a first week but the major question will be the retention it has. There's no potential major releases next week so it has a good chance of having a strong second week too but it is also getting (while not unfavorable) less positive buzz than the first film so it may see a sharper decline. It's hard to say.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I love watching mental breakdowns.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

I love watching mental breakdowns.

"If there's even a 1% chance that BvS is capable of reviewing badly on RottenTomatoes we must treat it as an absolute certainty." - Boob Marley, probably

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You know, I really want a Doom Patrol movie. The Brotherhood of Dada deserves to be on the big screen.

Although thinking about it modern special effects might be too good for the Doom Patrol. It needs to have those weird camera tricks and puppets of 80s mid-budget horror movies to really work.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

It's doing very well for a first week but the major question will be the retention it has. There's no potential major releases next week so it has a good chance of having a strong second week too but it is also getting (while not unfavorable) less positive buzz than the first film so it may see a sharper decline. It's hard to say.

Completely anecdotal "word of mouth" story:

My wife and sister-in-law who are not at all into nerdy poo poo (my wife knows more on average through living with me but she still had to ask who Cyborg was, my sister-in-law kept hilariously calling Aquaman "Mer-Man" which led to a lot of Zoolander jokes) saw the movie with me on Saturday and loved it. We were discussing it quite a bit at Easter and they were talking it up, her 8 year old cousin is pysched to see it (he wants Batman to punch Superman in the balls, he also made me sing Led Zepplin's Black Dog in his pretend rock band, cool kid).

I think there are a lot of conflicting factors at work, and it should make the next few weeks interesting to see how it plays out:

- A lot of the hardcore comic movie fans likely saw it this past weekend, undeterred by the bad reviews. However, other people might be put off by the bad reviews and those same hardcore folks might not see it multiple times if they hated it.

- The hype train obviously helped push it to record March opening numbers, and that might be cut into by reviews. On the other hand, all this week during NCAA tourney and prime time television people will be seeing "#1 movie in America" ads for it, every 15 minutes which might keep things going.

- I think a lot of families with kids didn't necessarily take them to the movies on a busy holiday weekend, and (again anecdotally) kids want to see Superman and Batman punch each other in the balls. This could potentially be hurt by some of the violence, but I don't really think it was too bad.

- There is word of mouth and buzz just around how well it's doing and even the bad reviews cause interest based on "how could something get lovely reviews and still be killing at the box office". Combined with nothing else to see on a rainy early April weekend, people might go see it just to see what the fuss is about.

I think there could be a big drop but I also think with such a huge opening you aren't going to see it bottom out to the point where it goes from "sets March records" to "wasn't a financial success". I am not super invested in how well it does financially outside of hoping it doesn't derail Justice League plans, but again since JL is already filming and BvS looks to be at least a moderate success, I don't see that happening either.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Boob Marley posted:

Money doesn't matter.
Only opinions matter.
Not our opinions though.
The opinions of critics.

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

Guy A. Person posted:

Can you please update the chart that has all of the superhero movies over the past 20 years or whatever? TIA

I am eating lunch right now but yeah I will do it when I get back from Chili's.

I am the 14-year old half-hispanic son of this thread's girlfriend.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

"Anybody else violently assault a teenager because they don't care enough about Batman?"

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

This is how I picture anyone defending this movie.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Renoistic posted:

Funny, because it's how I picture you.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Can we all please stop fighting and just feel the juice of Bats and Supes.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Shageletic posted:

Yes but it's a whopping 16.5% lower than the spergometer's top score.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Shageletic posted:

The key to box office success: giving comic book nerds tummy aches.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

I think there could be a big drop but I also think with such a huge opening you aren't going to see it bottom out to the point where it goes from "sets March records" to "wasn't a financial success". I am not super invested in how well it does financially outside of hoping it doesn't derail Justice League plans, but again since JL is already filming and BvS looks to be at least a moderate success, I don't see that happening either.

I'm sure it's going to be a success. I doubt it will have THAT huge a dropoff. At best it's the difference between a big success and a huge success.

I've said it before but I'm sure we're going to hear a lot about it once Civil War comes out because (tedious or not) it's the big competitor to BvS. If Civil War significantly outperforms BvS then you're going to hear a lot of commentary about that particular result and same vice-versa. I doubt either film will do poorly and mostly it's going to be more fodder for the tedious inter-company slapfights.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Renoistic posted:

Whatever keeps you smug.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Guy A. Person posted:

- I think a lot of families with kids didn't necessarily take them to the movies on a busy holiday weekend, and (again anecdotally) kids want to see Superman and Batman punch each other in the balls. This could potentially be hurt by some of the violence, but I don't really think it was too bad.

I think this is the key. Contrary to what the internet would like you to believe, young kids love stuff like BvS and Transformers and I think the film will cross the $1b mark on the back of families and casual moviegoers.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

HorseRenoir posted:

I think this is the key. Contrary to what the internet would like you to believe, young kids love stuff like BvS and Transformers and I think the film will cross the $1b mark on the back of families and casual moviegoers.

It was really funny that people were like "why is TMNT getting a sequel?!??!" Why do you loving think Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is getting a sequel?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It was really funny that people were like "why is TMNT getting a sequel?!??!" Why do you loving think Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is getting a sequel?

It's so good and people need to let go of whatever poo poo they hold. Sequel looks amazing. :)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Because grown men will be flocking to theaters in droves to see it!

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy
Here is the full chart. Use it to create your opinions/feelings.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope BvS earns exactly one dollar more than Civil War

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Boob Marley posted:

Here is the full chart. Use it to create your opinions/feelings.

ImpAtom posted:

tedious inter-company slapfights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I'm sure it's going to be a success. I doubt it will have THAT huge a dropoff. At best it's the difference between a big success and a huge success.

I've said it before but I'm sure we're going to hear a lot about it once Civil War comes out because (tedious or not) it's the big competitor to BvS. If Civil War significantly outperforms BvS then you're going to hear a lot of commentary about that particular result and same vice-versa. I doubt either film will do poorly and mostly it's going to be more fodder for the tedious inter-company slapfights.

Yeah, all true. It will be interesting to see how it is compared to Civil War (well like, intelligently compared, not just the usual Marvel vs DC poo poo slinging).

One thing someone mentioned, maybe in this or the other thread, is how people seem to actually be legitimately choosing sides in the Batman v Superman debate. When I was walking to the theater with my wife we were wearing Superman shirts and some dude in a Batman shirt scoffed and said "typical" under his breath, which was hilarious. It was also hotly debated over Easter dinner who was better (Batman seemed to win out overall). I wish they had played it up even more in the advertising, honestly, because it is a fun way to get into the movie.

Obviously Civil War is still a ways off but so far the general response seems to be "oh so Tony Stark is being an rear end in a top hat again? ok", rather than an actual debate over who is right. Maybe once the movie is closer/released I will see more family debates about the ethics of super hero registration, which would be great.

A guy on my Facebook said "why do they keep letting Zack Snyder make movies??"

Like, no they're not "letting" him they are paying him well to do it because he makes them money.

• Locked thread