Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

So is it bad that I can admit that DCU films are generally more skillfully made, but I just don't like them as much as MCU films?

This is a weird thing to even think about, much less feel bad about. Like what you like. Despite what you seem to have gleaned from here, there's nothing really wrong with the MCU movies. They're not facile, homogeneous, or artless, they're just different, both from the DCU and from each other. Even the worst of them has something to recommend it. Who cares what you like? Are you worried Cinema Discusso bullies are going to beat you up and steal your lunch money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

I haven't seen this kind of vitriol before, either here or on various sites.

People hated Amazing Spiderman 2 and Fantastic Four, those were just expected to be reviewed badly so it was more of a given than a surprise (and F4 didn't have the same ad penetration). BvS not so much.

The vitriol from the whiniest posters isn't any different than it was for MoS, or in the opposite direction for Thor 2, Avengers 2, etc. There's always a tiny group of folks who like to dance in the schadenfreude of a troubled launch for major movie/product/game/etc, especially if the excitement is high.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Well, let's be honest, nobody really cared about Thor 2 one way or the other.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I did. I mean, it wasn't fantastic, but it had some of the best design work I've seen in comic book movies and I dug how they developed Loki and his relationships to other characters.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I thought it sucked out loud. The antipathy some people here have for the Avengers films I have for the Thor films.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Thor 2 was one of my favorites. <:mad:>

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Anything with Dark Elves in it is a cheap way to render me unconscious for a root canal.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Thor 2 is an enjoyable way to fill a couple hours. There's nothing in it aside from Selvig's horribly offensive subplot that outright offends me and seems wrong and the action is good enough. Loki is the most interesting think going on and Iike seeing Natalie Portman gush about SCIENCE!!

It's like a mid-season episode of a decent Saturday Morning cartoon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thor 2 has peak Kat Dennings which pushes it way past what I can tolerate.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I just remembered that the third one is gonna be directed by Taika Waititi so, gently caress, they've gotten me to watch another Thor movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Thor 2: There's nothing in it

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Me: Thor 2 has things I like.

You: Thor 2 has nothing you like.

???

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I like a lot of Thor 2 but any scene Dennings is in makes me want to turn it off.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean...if absolutely nothing else, Thor 2 has Idris Elba murdering a spaceship singlehanded, and that's not nothing.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Imagine a Thor film directed by Tarsem Singh, with a Manowar soundtrack

now compare that to the Thor films we actually got and get real sad

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have the hardest time remembering literally anything about Thor 2. It's just so forgettable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Thanks for double post, SA

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I have the hardest time remembering literally anything about Thor 2. It's just so forgettable.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was getting at.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Like dude, if that's your experience, I totally don't begrudge it. It's definitely one of the weaker elements of the DCU.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Thor 2 needed a lot more naked Hemsworth.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ImpAtom posted:

It featured a bunch of goo that's actually an Infinity Gem and I forget what happens to it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean, i think the Wolverine is a pretty good flick so my opinion is worth fuckall so keep that in mind.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

ImpAtom posted:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ar68o_thor-the-dark-world-2013-cameo-from-captain-america-hd_shortfilms

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Like dude, if that's your experience, I totally don't begrudge it. It's definitely one of the weaker elements of the DCU.

I don't hold any disagreements we have over BvS against you on other stuff.

I was just making a joke, :(

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

MacheteZombie posted:

I don't hold any disagreements we have over BvS against you on other stuff.

I was just making a joke, :(

I'll accept that, but after the last few days, it's legitimately hard to tell what is and isn't made in lighthearted jest.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Thor 2 is terrible - it's TV movie bad. Hell, Thor 1 wasn't even that good - I think I only really enjoyed the poo poo with him learning about Earth. But aside from that everything else was forgettable. Hiddleston camps it the gently caress up and is probably the only good take away from it all.

Rhyno posted:

I mean, i think the Wolverine is a pretty good flick so my opinion is worth fuckall so keep that in mind.

The Wolverine is actually decent - I was totally surprised and loved everything about it - the goddamn ninjas getting fed into a mulcher just sealed the deal.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Question: Why do all the big universe changing events happen in Cap's films? Cap 1 introduced the completed Avengers, the Tesseract, and Infinity stones and Cap 2 was mentioned above.

Real talk it's because Captain America can't carry a film the way Iron Man or Thor can, they need the extra MCU stuff in there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vintersorg posted:

The Wolverine is actually decent - I was totally surprised and loved everything about it - the goddamn ninjas getting fed into a mulcher just sealed the deal.

The entire fight in the snow is what I love most about it. Such a great fight sequence.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'll accept that, but after the last few days, it's legitimately hard to tell what is and isn't made in lighthearted jest.

Batman v Superman, for example, is not made in lighthearted jest. It is, instead, grimdark

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Thor 2 had the Portal fight.

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

Electromax posted:

There's always a tiny group of folks who like to dance in the schadenfreude of a troubled launch for major movie/product/game/etc, especially if the excitement is high.

This is me.

Phylodox posted:

Like what you like. Despite what you seem to have gleaned from here, there's nothing really wrong with the MCU movies. They're not facile, homogeneous, or artless, they're just different, both from the DCU and from each other. Even the worst of them has something to recommend it. Who cares what you like? Are you worried Cinema Discusso bullies are going to beat you up and steal your lunch money?

I will never be this chill. It's too late for me. My contempt for the DC cinematic universe and all its sycophants has consumed my heart.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ImpAtom posted:

You dont remember when the big black exclamation point wrecked up a fancy fountain for their big action set piece at the end?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I don't hate any of the MCU movies so far and I don't hate either of the DCCU movies. I must be easy to please.... that explains my ex-wife, hahahahaha.

:(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wolverine's Vaguely Racist Anime Adventure was hilarious.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Everything is racist when you think about it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Boob Marley posted:

I will never be this chill. It's too late for me. My contempt for the DC cinematic universe and all its sycophants has consumed my heart.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vintersorg posted:

Thor 2 is terrible - it's TV movie bad. Hell, Thor 1 wasn't even that good - I think I only really enjoyed the poo poo with him learning about Earth. But aside from that everything else was forgettable. Hiddleston camps it the gently caress up and is probably the only good take away from it all.

I'm still not sold on Hemsworth in the role, or in the character at all since I was never really a fan of the comic version of the character and the Thor standalone films totally failed to get me invested in the character. His character arc was pretty much "Start out as a mild jerk, learn to accept responsibility and thus becomes less of a jerk" which doesn't really cut it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm still not sold on Hemsworth in the role, or in the character at all since I was never really a fan of the comic version of the character and the Thor standalone films totally failed to get me invested in the character. His character arc was pretty much "Start out as a mild jerk, learn to accept responsibility and thus becomes less of a jerk" which doesn't really cut it.

To be fair that's the arc of every MCU character except Captain America.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Thor doesn't learn how to accept responsibility, he learns humility. In fact, by the time Thor 2 rolls around, Thor actively refuses his responsibilities as the heir of Asgard.

EDIT: Also, Thor isn't the hero of Thor. Loki is.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hemsworth is really great in the role of Thor, he's got a good mix of royalty and smug frat boy in his performance.

• Locked thread