Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
God drat gently caress this loving game sometimes. I was 4 points away in Starfall from getting a HP reward, and while I was fighting a single match to put me over the edge I got hit for -139 points from a truckload of other players. I don't want to dig into every single opponent's alliance and roster and play-history in fear of having my time wasted by his spergy friends hitting me back, I just want to play some god damned Wolverine Bejeweled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Yeah, those guys are out in force right now. I'd win one match and lose three in the interim. Whatever.

e: I wish they would bring back the tournaments where you had to pay HP to get in to give the whales a playpen of their own.

Anals of History fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 27, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
What going on is they are kinda just using you as free points, you don't have to attack them, it's literally that they want to end each pvp event at like 2500 or 3000 instead of the highest award because IIRC they get their rankings as an alliance posted on facebook or some poo poo.

They also want to play wolverine bejeweled, and they wanted to win so bad they paid hundreds of dollars or more to do it.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Truman Sticks posted:

I just want to play some god damned Wolverine Bejeweled.

to be fair, you are playing wolverine bejeweled, so mission accomplished :confused:

any pvp even that ends on a weekend is going to be more active. if you don't want to / can't shield hop and you're trying to get above say 400 points, be ready to get steamrolled. an event that boosts an older, established character that many people are likely to have maxed out (sentry) is likely to be more active. the good news is that HP rewards are almost completely worthless outside of roster slots and

shield hopping :toot:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
This PVE event is just brutal.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

homeless poster posted:

to be fair, you are playing wolverine bejeweled, so mission accomplished :confused:

I guess I can't argue with that.

Anyway, my roster is still pretty thin, but are there any recommended teams to use with the upcoming PVE?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
My phone's battery started dying so I can't use it unless it's plugged in so I'm gonna skip the crap outta this event and probably the next one since the replacement won't be in until Wednesday.

Oh well.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Carnage is killing me... A lot.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Maaaaaannnnn... I was doing so well this bracket. I've been hovering around 5th place this whole time, until I ran out of steam up against gatdag Venom and gatdag Carnage. And then both of them together? All I have to do is never let them get any red, green, or yellow matches ever and don't let the trash symbiotes get a chance to charge up red or green AP ever and it's no problem!

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Sesq posted:

Maaaaaannnnn... I was doing so well this bracket. I've been hovering around 5th place this whole time, until I ran out of steam up against gatdag Venom and gatdag Carnage. And then both of them together? All I have to do is never let them get any red, green, or yellow matches ever and don't let the trash symbiotes get a chance to charge up red or green AP ever and it's no problem!

yeah, one of the less obvious powers of the trash mooks is that they generate colored AP every turn. this is why, after a few rounds when you're facing only mooks, they'll start laying down tiles, despite them not matching anything on the board. on nodes where you have mooks that generate AP of the same color that an enemy hero uses, you really can't stop the enemy hero from using that color of AP (minus stuns) because it's only a matter of time until the mook generates enough colored AP, even if you never let them make a colored AP match. the venom bomb event is the pve event for many people where it became obvious the d3 devs had realized this, but once you notice it you can go back through older pve events and realize why some nodes are way harder than they seem like they should be.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I found the perfect way to beat the Carnage node without taking any damage.

All you need to do is to have a team of SW / GW / PX and then have 2 5-matches from the get-go.

Then you win.

If you do not start with an optimal board then you lose because you weren't skilled enough*.

* Luck is also a form of skill.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
Sometimes you can cheese the AI into using the mook powers instead of carnage's by letting him have a red match - if he's on 5 red, for example, and he gets a red 3 match, he'll get an extra 2 from the mook and then he'll have just enough for appetite for destruction or precision strike, instead of wrecking your poo poo with scythes.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
10 Pack got me X-23 (new) and a like 3 3*s. I only had one of the 3 championed though, so the other 2 got vended.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I forgot Carnage was in the last bit of Venom Bomb. When his symbol popped up on the map, I remembered the Carnage and Venom node, and that was the end of Venom Bomb for me.

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

Well, I got sick at the right time....Starting last Thursday right up to yesterday morning I could barely get off the couch. That led to lots of grinding the Venom event. Sprinkle in lucking in to an easy bracket and I squeeked out my first T10 finish in a very long time. The last Carnage / Venom node was just loving awful. Even with 3 Champed 4*s, it was a crapshoot. If I didn't end up with a decent starting board, I was hosed. At least I got one of each of the new Punisher FATMAX covers.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
How bad Venom Bomb is: So few people play it that, even though there's a new character and I didn't even finish yesterday's completely and also didn't run through more than once because my phone was messing up, and don't plan on playing it at all today, I will still probably finish in the top 100.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

How bad Venom Bomb is: So few people play it that, even though there's a new character and I didn't even finish yesterday's completely and also didn't run through more than once because my phone was messing up, and don't plan on playing it at all today, I will still probably finish in the top 100.

it's weird, the older pve events are bad now because they're just boring and grindy. the newer pve events are bad because the devs have started getting tricky and pairing enemy heroes with same colored AP generating mooks or whatever other tricks and it just makes the nodes a chore to play.

it's kind of amazing that they haven't found a way to set up their ftp microtransaction game in a way where the most efficient way of playing the game isn't to minimize the amount of time you're actually interacting with the game. I thought these kinds of games usually wanted to give you 100 reasons to keep playing and keep spending money, but mpq has loving better things to do than entertain you

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

homeless poster posted:

it's weird, the older pve events are bad now because they're just boring and grindy. the newer pve events are bad because the devs have started getting tricky and pairing enemy heroes with same colored AP generating mooks or whatever other tricks and it just makes the nodes a chore to play.

it's kind of amazing that they haven't found a way to set up their ftp microtransaction game in a way where the most efficient way of playing the game isn't to minimize the amount of time you're actually interacting with the game. I thought these kinds of games usually wanted to give you 100 reasons to keep playing and keep spending money, but mpq has loving better things to do than entertain you
The way you cover a character (so basically the foundation of progression in this game) makes me think somewhere there's a page missing in a design doc where the end of page 1 was "you get people to repeatedly" then the start of page 3 was "then buy gacha pulls" and page 2 was all the obfuscation of the system that's just nakedly there in its extant "pay a ton of money to stay current on content which you then don't need to do because you already paid for it, for a few weeks at a time" form.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

The way you cover a character (so basically the foundation of progression in this game) makes me think somewhere there's a page missing in a design doc where the end of page 1 was "you get people to repeatedly" then the start of page 3 was "then buy gacha pulls" and page 2 was all the obfuscation of the system that's just nakedly there in its extant "pay a ton of money to stay current on content which you then don't need to do because you already paid for it, for a few weeks at a time" form.

yeah, that's another big piece of the pie. character growth is literally the only progress you have that makes the game interactive beyond being a colorful random number generator. there's no gear or equipment or costumes that you can find / buy / unlock, there's no danger room zones or passive team bonuses or friends & foes gauges that you can build. it's literally just get 13 covers for this character and 400k iso > okay you're done with that guy. championing kind of expands the process a little bit, but there's still no strategy to it, in as much as there's no reason not to level each hero up to max level, and no real alternate methods of champion level growth (just toss in more and more covers). if they weren't on a new hero treadmill 2-3 times a month, even casual players would probably get pretty close to permanently jumping from whatever star tier they're on to the next.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I can only use 4 of 39 characters on PVE. That seems crazy restrictive.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

ghostwritingduck posted:

I can only use 4 of 39 characters on PVE. That seems crazy restrictive.

:downsbravo: no it's a fun challenge why do you hate fun you fun-hater. boy what a dumbo you are hey everyone look at this moran.

it's okay I feel the same way, but there is a non-trivial portion of the mpq official forums who apparently will fight to the death to defend the heroic pve format (don't read the mpq official forums)

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

homeless poster posted:

:downsbravo: no it's a fun challenge why do you hate fun you fun-hater. boy what a dumbo you are hey everyone look at this moran.

it's okay I feel the same way, but there is a non-trivial portion of the mpq official forums who apparently will fight to the death to defend the heroic pve format (don't read the mpq official forums)

I wouldn't mind if there was a less restrictive option.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Randomly pulled a Spider-Gwen from a heroic token, she worth hanging onto? Probably not given I'm still building my 3* roster?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Thaddius the Large posted:

Randomly pulled a Spider-Gwen from a heroic token, she worth hanging onto? Probably not given I'm still building my 3* roster?

It seems like the game is moving towards 4*/5* and they're significantly harder to get than 3* so they're almost always worth keeping if you can (unless it's garbage hulk or you have 10 1 cover 4* eating up roster space like me)

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Call Me Charlie posted:

It seems like the game is moving towards 4*/5* and they're significantly harder to get than 3* so they're almost always worth keeping if you can (unless it's garbage hulk or you have 10 1 cover 4* eating up roster space like me)

I've got some slots to fill anyway, so it wouldn't be the worst idea, but I figured I'd check if she's a member of the "too niche/useless to bother with unless you're a completionist" list.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I don't know if there's much of a consensus on Spider-Gwen yet but she looks decent enough to me, there's some reasonable synergy with her, Venom and Miles/Black Spidey if you can get one. Out of the 4*s Mr Fantastic and TAH are garbage tier and not worth keeping, and above them you've got characters like Elektra, GR, Flaptain and Nova, who are borderline.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

I don't know if there's much of a consensus on Spider-Gwen yet but she looks decent enough to me, there's some reasonable synergy with her, Venom and Miles/Black Spidey if you can get one. Out of the 4*s Mr Fantastic and TAH are garbage tier and not worth keeping, and above them you've got characters like Elektra, GR, Flaptain and Nova, who are borderline.

When we had the event she seemed pretty good to use.

I actually pulled a legendary token from the DDQ vault that was actually shocking.

I pulled a 5* spiderman purple woo I guess?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

MarcusSA posted:

When we had the event she seemed pretty good to use.

I actually pulled a legendary token from the DDQ vault that was actually shocking.

I pulled a 5* spiderman purple woo I guess?

gwen is decent. her biggest drawback is that she is decent, and not game-changing like HB/4* jean/ice-man/rulk/etc. if you wind up getting a decent number of tokens for her she's not the worst 4* to power up.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I snagged an ant man. I'm currently putting together a two star roster. Is he worth a slot?

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I have a hard time playing this game recently.

The core gameplay is stale and leveling characters is literally pushing rocks up an endless hill.

So there is literally 0 to get out of it.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

CaptainScraps posted:

I snagged an ant man. I'm currently putting together a two star roster. Is he worth a slot?

see above about gwen. there's a tier-within-a-tier at the 4* level and ant-man isn't top tier. he's not bad, and he can counter some enemy heroes pretty well (carnage for example) but he's not outstanding. keep him if you like him or you expect to get a few covers. the ant-man featured pve event has been run at least twice and that guarantees a cover, so he is one of the 4* heroes you're likely to (slowly) power up

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Antman is awesome...... Once you get him fully covered and at a high level. Single cover antman (or any 4* really) is not that great

edit: Patch PVP scores were insane. I set a personal best of 1667 pts and came in 27th in my bracket. Top guy in my bracket hit 3862 pts.

XMenOne scored 65,474 points in the PVP for #1 Alliance, their lowest scoring person had 2212 points.

I burned a lot of HP on shields for the event, but I stick in slice 4 when the end time changes on that Sun-Wed event. Probably spent 700HP or so.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 30, 2016

Wet Biscuit McGlee
Jul 13, 2006

girls hate me

homeless poster posted:

They actually removed a ton of bad nodes from the old PVE events. There was some legendarily bad nodes such as level 300 Ares + 2 green feeders, level 300 human Torch + red and green feeders, and Magneto teamed with a Don and boosted 1* Iron man. They replaced all of the mooks with some neutral ones like Spys or Thugs, but then they went ahead and repeated past mistakes with Venom bomb. It's like theres two different level designers and one of them is a real dick weed.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Jeez, Kamala/Human Torch/Iron Man 40 might be one of the most annoying 3* teams in the game. Cheap yellow and green means they're just throwing a ton of crap at you, which makes it a giant pain to down Kamala.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 31, 2016

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Wet Biscuit McGlee posted:

They actually removed a ton of bad nodes from the old PVE events. There was some legendarily bad nodes such as level 300 Ares + 2 green feeders, level 300 human Torch + red and green feeders, and Magneto teamed with a Don and boosted 1* Iron man. They replaced all of the mooks with some neutral ones like Spys or Thugs, but then they went ahead and repeated past mistakes with Venom bomb. It's like theres two different level designers and one of them is a real dick weed.

Or the guy who did it last time left, and nobody remembers the reasons why they had to make the changes they did, and nobody wrote any design docs for Writing Good PVE Events (or nobody read them afterward)...

KK and Vision were super good for mass heals for a while, but since vision doesn't reuse his density powers anymore it's not quite as good. What is the most effective team for triggering KK now? KK/IM40/LazyCap, as a player - but for the AI you probably want actually-cheap powers...Vision covers blue and yellow, she-hulk only gives the green cheap power but it's incredibly annoying, Carnage would be funny just because of the number of powers going off...

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
I used to leave Carnage and Daken with Kamala Khan in simulator, not many people hit that.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

looks like the unstable iso pve event is going back to the eots changes with some minor adjustments. they really do not want people who are currently playing this game to keep playing this game, that's the only thing i can figure. they want their business model going forward to be new sign-ups who don't remember how things used to function so they won't have to justify any of their poo poo design decisions.

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

CaptainScraps posted:

Ant-Man is one of my favorite characters in the game. I use him all the time. Granted, I have him Champ'd and at 272. While he won't inspire fear in PVP, he is a great utility character. His yellow is cheap to fire off and does some nice DoT and then if any of the countdowns survive, they turn into yellow strike tiles which has an added benefit of occasionally causing some nice cascades. His pink can be absolutely brutal at 5 stars if the trap tile gets in a hard to reach spot. I changed him to 3/5/5 for the Patch PvP event and with his blue at 5, he was stealing 3 enemy strike tiles at a wack.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

homeless poster posted:

looks like the unstable iso pve event is going back to the eots changes with some minor adjustments. they really do not want people who are currently playing this game to keep playing this game, that's the only thing i can figure. they want their business model going forward to be new sign-ups who don't remember how things used to function so they won't have to justify any of their poo poo design decisions.

Maybe their testing team/person quit and they were like 'whatever, we'll just use the players as testers'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off
They did say they're making it easier across the board, which was the main problem with it. I'm mostly okay with the new system if the overall difficulty is lower like they claim. We'll see, I guess.

Unrelatedly, Bone Rangers currently has another slot open if any goons are looking for a casual no-pressure alliance.