Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Other viable strategies: It's a night mission? Bring an autocannon with incendiary ammo. On the first turn just shoot everywhere. Now it's a day mission.

Actually, I was very bad at the game, so maybe you should not listen to what I say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I request that Classtoise's nickname be updated to "F1" or "hair trigger" in light of what happened.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I'm not even playing this campaign and my heart still stopped when that Mechtoid dropped in. :gonk:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Wheany posted:

Other viable strategies: It's a night mission? Bring an autocannon with incendiary ammo. On the first turn just shoot everywhere. Now it's a day mission.

Actually, I was very bad at the game, so maybe you should not listen to what I say.

Auto-cannons in that game were great for so many reasons. I kept one on squad long after it had waned in effectiveness against alines.

Because it was so good at scenery and area denial.
I also had no hesitation in using rocket tanks for similar purposes. I would love to play a modern version. With collapsible buildings etc.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

Auto-cannons in that game were great for so many reasons. I kept one on squad long after it had waned in effectiveness against alines.

Because it was so good at scenery and area denial.
I also had no hesitation in using rocket tanks for similar purposes. I would love to play a modern version. With collapsible buildings etc.

:negative:

We keep asking for it, and they just keep saying no.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Youtube Link

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

RickVoid posted:

:negative:

We keep asking for it, and they just keep saying no.

I have wanted a turn-based game with "hyper realistic" destruction physics. Well, more accurate than just Havok/Bullet. As far as I know, they have to cut some corners due to being real time. But a turn-based game could theoretically take a second or two to calculate the structural soundness of a building. I know it takes a little more than that to do actual structural analysis, but maybe it would be enough to do dynamic destruction, maybe collapse the whole building if you shoot jet fuel on the building's steel beams.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The aliens might be in for one hell of a Christmas :getin:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

drat, Deki is really earning her nickname.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
That map sucks rear end but you made it work the way you usually do. Can't wait for either the destroyer or a Base assault.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Wheany posted:

I know it takes a little more than that to do actual structural analysis, but maybe it would be enough to do dynamic destruction, maybe collapse the whole building if you shoot jet fuel on the building's steel beams.

Unfortunately, until they have increased computing power to the point where destruction can be simulated in real time, jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Dooky Dingo posted:

Unfortunately, until they have increased computing power to the point where destruction can be simulated in real time, jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

Red Faction: Gurilla managed it. Syndicate Wars also had some, to a limited degree. And in the Force Unleashed they went on about how they'd gotten a good broken glass etc simulator. So we're closer than you think.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So I've been watching this for... a long time, trying to catch up. Up to mission 112 and in here you actively choose to leave a psi tube empty. I am noticing though that you have no psi-snipers at all. Wouldn't it be good to get them psionic so you can give them a neural gunlink?

(also reporting in as a volunteer. Make me either of indeterminate gender (so pilot or shiv) or a girl with pink ponytails )

Dancer fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 25, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Dancer posted:

So I've been watching this for... a long time. Up to mission 112 and in here you actively choose to leave a psi tube empty. I am noticing though that you have no psi-snipers at all. Wouldn't it be good to get them psionic so you can give them a neural gunlink?

(also reporting in as a volunteer. Make me either of indeterminate gender (so pilot or shiv) or a girl with pink ponytails )

I think it's the case that post base assault/terror mission Booty had people in mind to stick in the tubes and wanted to have the tube open.

or all the people with potential he had plans for within the next 10 days.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Dancer posted:

So I've been watching this for... a long time, trying to catch up. Up to mission 112 and in here you actively choose to leave a psi tube empty. I am noticing though that you have no psi-snipers at all. Wouldn't it be good to get them psionic so you can give them a neural gunlink?

There's a certain thing you can't do with psionic soldiers, that maybe snipers are ideal for.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
That is true and those are awesome but wouldn't you still want some psi snipers?

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
Jeez. That mission looked rough. Though I'm starting to think that Gauss weapons might not be good enough anymore, it's almost like you have to catch up and upgrade your weapons soon.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

64bitrobot posted:

Jeez. That mission looked rough. Though I'm starting to think that Gauss weapons might not be good enough anymore, it's almost like you have to catch up and upgrade your weapons soon.

Bottleneck looks like weapon parts :saddowns:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

64bitrobot posted:

Unfortunately the next level of weapons are Pulse weapons, which are crit-focused weapons that are barely better than what we have now and lack the DR bypassing that Gauss have. The only thing after Beam is Plasma.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Grapplejack posted:

Unfortunately the next level of weapons are Pulse weapons, which are crit-focused weapons that are barely better than what we have now and lack the DR bypassing that Gauss have. The only thing after Beam is Plasma.

Well, might as well skip pulse and just go straight to plasma then. Save yourself some effort.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Strange thing about your most recent video Booty: Whenever I watch it on my laptop I get a slight stutter every 3 seconds. However, when I watch it on my Xbone, nothing like that happens. Anyone else experience something similar?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Rick_Hunter posted:

Strange thing about your most recent video Booty: Whenever I watch it on my laptop I get a slight stutter every 3 seconds. However, when I watch it on my Xbone, nothing like that happens. Anyone else experience something similar?

I ran into that on my chromebook and after closing all other tabs it was a lot smoother.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

I restarted my computer and still had the stutter even with just 1 chrome tab open.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Rick_Hunter posted:

I restarted my computer and still had the stutter even with just 1 chrome tab open.

Is it playing at 1080p60, or 720p60? If Youtube defaults to 1080p60, I tend to get some stuttering, but if I drop it down to 720p60, the stuttering goes away.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Rick_Hunter posted:

I run into that in the latest version of Firefox, but chrome works fine.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Kurieg posted:

I run into that in the latest version of Firefox, but chrome works fine.

I didn't have any issues with this video on my desktop computer with Firefox.

But I just tried to watch another youtube video on my laptop in Firefox and it had a weird stutter when fullscreen. Chrome played that video just fine. So maybe there is some bug in Firefox that only manifests on some machines?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Yeeesh, soo many UFOs.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Yay! I got promoted. And at least I helped some, maybe I'll get some more missions in the future.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Youtube Link

I somehow forgot to mention this in the last post! Congratulations ChaosDragon in earning Master Sergeant equivalent rank!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Those aliens were caught between a banana man and a hard place. Also Gridlocked showing off how many fucks she gives.

Base Assualt hype! I am really looking forward to it. I only pray I get a chance to go on this first one.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
*I PUT ON MY BATHROBE AND FEDORA HAT* :wiggle:

So I'm assuming that given your need to survive haha-gently caress-you Long War mission spawning you're basically never going to be able to snag unpopped meld cans again? Or will there eventually be a time when your ground game is strong enough to do some meld running (more or less) safely?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Neophyte posted:

*I PUT ON MY BATHROBE AND FEDORA HAT* :wiggle:

So I'm assuming that given your need to survive haha-gently caress-you Long War mission spawning you're basically never going to be able to snag unpopped meld cans again? Or will there eventually be a time when your ground game is strong enough to do some meld running (more or less) safely?

Scouts get a lot more effective once you give them Plasma SMGs and Advanced Pants.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

silentsnack posted:

Scouts get a lot more effective once you give them Plasma SMGs and Advanced Pants.

I'm just imagining a pair of cargo pants made with "TOP SECRET: SPECIAL PANTS" print fabric.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Neophyte posted:

There will be a time, when we don't have some small chance of straight up losing a soldier when getting shot at.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yay, I'm back! And I didn't get immediately shoved back into the infirmary! It's a Christmas Miracle!

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Another mission by-the-numbers. Looking forward to the base assault.

Any chance of a second X-Com 2 stream?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

ProfessorBooty posted:

There will be a time, when we don't have some small chance of straight up losing a soldier when getting shot at.

RIP Cedric

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

So who's this guy again? I remember I made the gif because the shot was so :black101: but I know he died in that mission.

http://i.imgur.com/Ty10PSR.webm

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Rick_Hunter posted:

So who's this guy again? I remember I made the gif because the shot was so :black101: but I know he died in that mission.

Zen Vulgarity :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

sincx posted:

Any chance of a second X-Com 2 stream?

I just spoke with Kidneyman. He sounds like he's willing to stream on commander/ironman or legendary/ironman, but I'm not sure if/when we would start.

• Locked thread