Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Finally, an achivement to taze a tazer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
In case anyone wanted to see the Deathwish plus mod in action - host only since I did not have the mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHFg3EVLd9E

Highlights include:

Assaults lasting between 7 to 11 minutes.
Breaks lasting 10-15 seconds.
Hyper aggressive cops
High spawn rates

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
they should mention that this dlc is free thanks to the black market update

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
No, you can't use that. Only the community can bring that up as a reason to complain. There is no free content ever and OVERKILL should give me free things forever because I played a game once.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
So if you're like, one of the two people (or Psion, who doesn't count as a real person) who use my GenSec on Overkill mod I just uploaded a fixed version that doesn't crash the game with the new patch:
GenSec on Overkill v1.2
GenSec on Overkill-Host only v1.2 (Greys use default stats instead of DW stats)
Just drop it into your BLT mod folder to install.

I basically redid the mod from scratch to make sure it was compatible with the new version so report any bugs and such.

As a side note it looks like all the cops in the new heists that are coming will have unique models, since what was causing the crashes was they added separate spawn tables for "America" and "Russia".

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I finally sat down and took a real look at skills and trying to figure out my own builds I came up with what seems to be called a techforcer. Looking for validation I hopped onto reddit and found that everyone is running the muscle deck with ICTV. Is that required to take it to DW levels or will my grinder techforcer be enough? I mean, I wreck poo poo on overkill and below in slaughterhouse and hox breakout. It's a build where I don't have to use my brain one bit, I can just focus on running real fast over obstacles and clicking on faces. I'm like 6 days old in this game and am sort of guessing in the dark at how deep it seems.

How granular does the top end of this game get with asking for optimized builds? Can I just throw all that poo poo to the wind and have fun if I'm Good At Video Games?

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 29, 2016

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Zigmidge posted:

I finally sat down and took a real look at skills and trying to figure out my own builds I came up with what seems to be called a techforcer. Looking for validation I hopped onto reddit and found that everyone is running the muscle deck with ICTV. Is that required to take it to DW levels or will my med vest grinder techforcer be enough? I mean, I wreck poo poo on overkill and below in slaughterhouse and hox breakout. It's a build where I don't have to use my brain one bit, I can just focus on running real fast over obstacles and clicking on faces. I'm like 6 days old in this game and am sort of guessing in the dark at how deep it seems.

How granular does the top end of this game get with asking for optimized builds? Can I just throw all that poo poo to the wind and have fun if I'm Good At Video Games?

You can beat pretty much any heist on overkill as a level 0 character. There are even achievements for it, like Tabula Rasa. Enemies in DW have far greater DPS than in overkill and have more HP. How you do in Overkill is not a good indicator of how you will do in DW. In general, you want to wear the heaviest armor you can OR a suit with dodge or Grinder build.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

I finally sat down and took a real look at skills and trying to figure out my own builds I came up with what seems to be called a techforcer. Looking for validation I hopped onto reddit and found that everyone is running the muscle deck with ICTV. Is that required to take it to DW levels or will my med vest grinder techforcer be enough? I mean, I wreck poo poo on overkill and below in slaughterhouse and hox breakout. It's a build where I don't have to use my brain one bit, I can just focus on running real fast over obstacles and clicking on faces. I'm like 6 days old in this game and am sort of guessing in the dark at how deep it seems.

Your experience with overkill difficulty is not predictive of your experience on DW.

Granted, if you're a cop clicking savant, you can do what ever you like.

Try DW out, if you encounter problems we can give you build and weapon advice. Until then, keep having fun and killin' cops.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

For starters, you're not actually using a medium vest with Grinder, are you?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Word, okay. That tells me everything I need to know then. Thanks

Tempest_56 posted:

For starters, you're not actually using a medium vest with Grinder, are you?

Why, are you going to criticize 6 day old player's build? It's full of dumb poo poo but that's for me to have fun with discovering.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Zigmidge posted:

Why, are you going to criticize 6 day old player's build? It's full of dumb poo poo but that's for me to have fun with discovering.

I'm more going to criticize your ability to read the perk decks

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Fucken goons

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
(grinder doesn't work if you're not wearing a suit or a lightweight vest)

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Zigmidge posted:

You may find DW less intuitive (and fun, imho) than Overkill but you can usually get by with raw skill. That being said, DW enemies are tougher and deal more damage, so you may find yourself ducking for cover and reloading far more often than you would on easier difficulties. It's just a bunch of numbers but DW honestly feels like a different game in some ways. I have to be much more conservative. I guess the easiest way to sum up DW experience is to say it punishes errors more and there's less flexibility to experiment or compensate for your mistakes. Where on OVK you can take a few bullets to the face and just kind of limp back to a safe spot, that kind of behavior can get you killed on DW.

'Optimal' is used pretty loosely these days. Basically you need survival from armor or dodge, and some form of health regeneration. You need some kind of ammo replenishment strategy. You need the same QoL stuff that you need on literally every build. And somebody on your crew needs Inspire aced. Other than that it's the same game with more aggressive enemies. Take cover. Shoot heads. Expect risky gambits to get punished more severely on DW.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Zigmidge posted:

It says, in bold red text if I remember correctly, that the grinder perk deck will not work with anything other than the suit or the LBV when you equip something it doesn't work with.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: I JUST CHECKED AND I HAVE THE RIGHT ARMOUR :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

What kind of loving thread did I just walk into

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I asked how nerdy I should get about this game evidently it's extremely

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

nerdy enough that you should read the information the game helpfully gives you, ffs

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

like this isn't "buried in a paragraph in a help section on a website" this is "right there in the description of the perk when you equipped the perk deck"

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

dawg its the second armor i used med because im not a fukken sponge that knows all the names a week in

you want a screenshot to calm those nerves?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zigmidge posted:

dawg its the second armor i used med because im not a fukken sponge that knows all the names a week in

take a break skunkrocker

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Techforcer with Vest/Grinder is pretty suboptimal because you're skipping on the main reason to go deep Enforcer (ICTV) and your base armor is too weak for the multiplier from Bulletproof to really help. You might argue that the faster armor regeneration from Bulletproof Ace helps but on Overkill you can literally run around without any armor at all if you keep clicking cops fast enough. In short, it's a lot of points spent on marginal benefit, particularly in the Technician tree where the lower/mid tiers are rear end in terms of options.

There was a time where I ran a hybrid HBV/Rogue Masterforcer but in all honestly the mid-tier armors aren't worth it. Go all-in on either armor or dodge, there's no point trying to do both if you're looking to optimize.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Afraid of Audio posted:

take a break skunkrocker

To be fair I only used the wrong armor with grinder once and it was an accident. I clicked the wrong one cause I was in a hurry.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Zigmidge posted:

I apologize for my fellows, but bear in mind that the game has been out for long enough that part of the goon playerbase has sperged themselves into a corneroptimized themselves to a razor's edge. I wouldn't worry about your build too much, since a major revamp of skills is impending in a couple weeks.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Skunkrocker posted:

To be fair I only used the wrong armor with grinder once and it was an accident. I clicked the wrong one cause I was in a hurry.

no worries

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Use whatever you want I will carry your rear end to the finish line on Deathwish.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

UnknownMercenary posted:

Use whatever you want we will carry your rear end to the finish line on Deathwish.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010
lmao @ everyone thinking Zigmidge is too stupid to not notice if his health wouldn't be regenerating when using Grinder

But yeah, Techforcer and LBV/Grinder is an odd combo. Perfectly viable and fun combo on Overkill but even squeezing every inch of armor out of the LBV with Fugitive+Technician bonuses will still be about as effective as a plain ol' suit at deflecting Death Wish cop fire. Techforcers should probably suit up in ICTV and run Muscle, Armorer, or Gambler (ranked in about effective order; Muscle gives you panic and health regen, Armorer will prevent Saigadozer instakills, Gambler is fun-for-the-whole-family health regen), but if you want to keep running Grinder I'd recommend getting all the dodge bonuses you can out of Fugitive and running around in a suit, using Bullseye to regen armor by clicking heads. Grinder and an LBV can certainly work on DW, but you've got to be a bit more careful of being aware of who's shooting you at any given time.

Or read the two posts above. More people willing to play DW is always good.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

Dude, calm the down. I was mostly trying to figure out of you'd just mis-typed what vest you were using, since (as mentioned) the actual medium vest makes Grinder not work. This is not at all uncommon for new players to do. You need to chill the gently caress out.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Zigmidge posted:

What kind of loving thread did I just walk into

its a thread for a 2.5 year old game, everyone still here has massive brain damage

we used to have several people who could quote from memory a 10,000 word document about the minutiae of this game

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

come again

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yeah Cheeto and Vox are still here.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
i meant past tense as the long guide hasn't been kept up right?

or did that guy come back after the re-balance tantrum

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The guy came back but I think he has some other people to help update the guide since he doesn't play as much.

Huh, looking now it's only been getting sporadic updates wrt mechanics. Nothing about the newer maps post Crimefest.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Fellis posted:

we used to have several people who could quote from memory a 10,000 word document about the minutiae of this game

I'm still here! All the assault pack rifles used to be less accurate when crouched! Please kill me.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Insert name here posted:

So if you're like, one of the two people (or Psion, who doesn't count as a real person) who use my GenSec on Overkill mod I just uploaded a fixed version that doesn't crash the game with the new patch:
GenSec on Overkill v1.2
GenSec on Overkill-Host only v1.2 (Greys use default stats instead of DW stats)
Just drop it into your BLT mod folder to install.

I basically redid the mod from scratch to make sure it was compatible with the new version so report any bugs and such.

As a side note it looks like all the cops in the new heists that are coming will have unique models, since what was causing the crashes was they added separate spawn tables for "America" and "Russia".

I havent played this dead gay game in over a month but i use your mod quite a bit thanks!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Fellis posted:

i meant past tense as the long guide hasn't been kept up right?

or did that guy come back after the re-balance tantrum

The Codex Nerdatus still gets updates or else Cheeto would be out of a job.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

ClonedPickle posted:

But yeah, Techforcer and LBV/Grinder is an odd combo

It's a totally viable gimmick. I mean, it's a gimmick, but it works. For when you want to use shotguns, but you also want to go fast.

Zigmidge posted:

Can I just throw all that poo poo to the wind and have fun if I'm Good At Video Games?

Yes.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'm still here! All the assault pack rifles used to be less accurate when crouched! Please kill me.

let me just get my handy dandy rpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

LuciferMorningstar posted:

It's a totally viable gimmick. I mean, it's a gimmick, but it works. For when you want to use shotguns, but you also want to go fast.

Yeah, but Technician adds nothing that Fugitive wouldn't do better for that gimmick.