Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
So I actually did file complaints with OSHA and OSHA is actually quick! Here are my complaints and the "solutions":

Complaint: People standing and walking on roller conveyors and smooth metal ramps about 10 feet high. Not maintenance employees or anything, just people wanting to take a looky-loo or unjam plastic bins.

Solution: Supervisors have a meeting to tell people not to do it. People still do it with supervisors witnessing and not doing anything. This is somewhat "encouraged" because the line jams up constantly and who the heck has time to call maintenance!?

Complaint: The main exit that people know about is locked from the inside and needs a proximity key to unlock it. There are emergency exits but in an emergency I promise you everyone is going to head to the exit they primarily use. Oh crap there is a malfunction and the door won't unlock!? A wave of people make it impossible to unlock if? People in a panic mode don't notice the lock release lever three feet over? There is absolutely no legitimate reason for that door to be locked and they clearly do it to track employee breaks with the proximity cards.

Solution: Double down on the bullshit and tell people about the electronic release lever that will totally not fail ever you guys.

Complaint: The roller conveyors are loud enough to cause hearing damage.

Solution: None.

Complaint: Eyewash station and pedestrian pathways are blocked.

Solution: Tell people to not do it. Havent seen a blockage since thankfully.

The first page of the letter OSHA sent was posted asking about these complaints. At my old workplaces, complaints would be posted as well as the company's response and solution so I don't know if that's a requirement.

I have since noticed a few more issues. Supposedly just a few days after the don't touch the conveyor talk, a supervisor fell and broke her arm. I have only heard this as a maybe, but she does have her arm in a sling. If it was an injury from the conveyor, then it was almost certainly not reported. Still have the 140 days worked without an injury thing posted and it is going up.

Lockout tagout doesn't seem to be a thinmeant least not as I know it. As I know it, any sort of energy source must be locked in an off position disabling it completely along with a tag saying who is in where for how long when someone can be potentially harmed by said source of energy. Simply turning off the machine is not good enough.

Here is how my company does it. There are these series of racks, 30ish feet high and very narrow. Between these racks are rails upon which this "robot" moves back and forth very quickly and elevating to remove boxes from the racks. There are control panels for each rail and robot. Frequently, (at least 10 times per shift) a box jams up and someone has to go in these aisles to unjam it. This is not a maintenance person, just a warehouse picker.

Before they leave, they take a key from the control boxes which supposedly turns it off but the electrical energy is still enabled. I know this because under each control box, there are power boxes with big switches with holes in them clearly meant for lockout. I don't know enough about the machines or lockout tagout to make a complaint, but I am going to try to learn tomorrow. I want to know what taking the key out of the control box actually does and if it counts as a lockout tagout situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
My Favorite OSHA story:

In the 70s, Malaysia was the biggest miner of tin in the world, accounting for 1/3 of all production. Come the mid 80's tin prices dropped, so miners attempt to make up the price shortfall by getting it out of the ground at the lowest cost possible, even if that easy-to-reach tin happens to be found in sea-ward wall of an open-cut mine right next to the Indian Ocean

Now, despite this mine having been in operation for decades, one day in 1993, the owner notices some pretty waterfalls have sprung up overnight, and (smartly) orders all the equipment moved out (I'm guessing the workers too, but perhaps as an afterthought). He then calls a friend and tells him he thinks the mine might be about to collapse - the friend grabs a video camera and hurries over:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa3nFLZIvbU

Google Maps of the new cove formed afterward: https://www.google.com/maps/@4.4004273,100.5889835,1041m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Serak posted:

My Favorite OSHA story:

In the 70s, Malaysia was the biggest miner of tin in the world, accounting for 1/3 of all production. Come the mid 80's tin prices dropped, so miners attempt to make up the price shortfall by getting it out of the ground at the lowest cost possible, even if that easy-to-reach tin happens to be found in sea-ward wall of an open-cut mine right next to the Indian Ocean

Now, despite this mine having been in operation for decades, one day in 1993, the owner notices some pretty waterfalls have sprung up overnight, and (smartly) orders all the equipment moved out (I'm guessing the workers too, but perhaps as an afterthought). He then calls a friend and tells him he thinks the mine might be about to collapse - the friend grabs a video camera and hurries over:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa3nFLZIvbU

Google Maps of the new cove formed afterward: https://www.google.com/maps/@4.4004273,100.5889835,1041m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

holy loving poo poo that's amazing

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

JFairfax posted:

holy loving poo poo that's amazing

Christ almighty. Does anyone have a guess about how much water it would take to fill that mine or how long it would take to fill? From the google maps, that seawall looks like it was a third of a mile long.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Yes I know they will, but have you moved the base with the boom fully extended while in the basket?

edit: and isnt the point of having a 360 degree boom that you put it in the best spot so you can boom to all the reachable spots rather than driving and potentially being launched out/crushed

I can't tell if you're being dumb on purpose or not. You quoted my post where I said that's exactly what they do. The only way to drive a boom lift is from in the basket. There are no drive controls on the ground, only boom controls.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tangentially related, my company is having a meeting this week and we've got a very high ranking OSHA representative speaking to us via WebEx or a phone about the new crane operator training ruling. Turns out the guy who's supposed to be speaking doesn't even know for sure if he is because nobody is telling anyone anything!

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Sockington posted:

I had to climb this 280' tower when I was an apprentice. I was loving whipped by the end of climbing and pulling up tools every few decks. I kind of wish there was some sort of netting/protection at the top to stop the possibility of any dropped items :sweatdrop:

Edit: the tall bastard on the front-ish left

theres often temporary netting put in place in plants i work at but probably just as often not

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

EKDS5k posted:

I can't tell if you're being dumb on purpose or not. You quoted my post where I said that's exactly what they do. The only way to drive a boom lift is from in the basket. There are no drive controls on the ground, only boom controls.

About 2 seconds of thought should reveal why ground level driving controls would be a terrible idea for a boom lift.

Literally the best outcome is that lift lurches away from the dumbass ground operator, preventing them from going anything worse.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 28, 2016

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

jetz0r posted:

About 2 seconds of thought should reveal why ground level driving controls would be a terrible idea for a boom lift.

Literally the best outcome is that lift lurches away from the dumbass ground operator, preventing them from going anything worse.

Yeah I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure they have ground and remote control panels

for example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCaGTBwAV5I&t=198s

EDIT: i'm the idiot who missed you were talking specifically about driving controls. nevermind!!!!!

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 28, 2016

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
In other news, a petition is circulating to force the allowance of the open carry of firearms at the Republican National Convention .

So, how much would you have to get paid to empty the trashcans at this event?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

EKDS5k posted:

doesnt matter, I know jobsites won't let you drive them around with the boom fully extended, I know you're misreading me on purpose

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

Fasdar posted:

In other news, a petition is circulating to force the allowance of the open carry of firearms at the Republican National Convention .

So, how much would you have to get paid to empty the trashcans at this event?

They try so hard to focus on the most irrelevant issues

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

astrollinthepork posted:

I want to know what taking the key out of the control box actually does and if it counts as a lockout tagout situation.

This is a situation that requires a risk assessment, and possibly a LOTO procedure to protect the worker. I'm personally torn on how I would approach this, without knowing all the details; however, I don't think the worker should be the one to pull and keep the key. I also don't think it is ever wrong to push for a LOTO procedure.

Assuming the key is an interlock that effectively isolates the robot overlord from being able to assimilate the worker, and that interlock completely isolates ALL potential energy (electrical, hydraulic, mechanical, etc.) from the worker, than that could be a good place to deploy a LOTO device. You mentioned that it happens often during the shift, often enough that I might just write a procedure for clearing the debris. Supervisor secures the robot by removing the key and guarding the console, supervisor tells worker to clear the path, worker reports when done, supervisor installs the key and turns on the robot overlord. This all hinges on the magic key being an effective isolation; which, needs to be proven through technical manuals, equipment drawings, and manufactures technicians. Tribal knowledge is never enough. If there is any doubt then a LOTO procedure should be required.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

HughGRect posted:

This is a situation that requires a risk assessment, and possibly a LOTO procedure to protect the worker. I'm personally torn on how I would approach this, without knowing all the details; however, I don't think the worker should be the one to pull and keep the key. I also don't think it is ever wrong to push for a LOTO procedure.

Assuming the key is an interlock that effectively isolates the robot overlord from being able to assimilate the worker, and that interlock completely isolates ALL potential energy (electrical, hydraulic, mechanical, etc.) from the worker, than that could be a good place to deploy a LOTO device. You mentioned that it happens often during the shift, often enough that I might just write a procedure for clearing the debris. Supervisor secures the robot by removing the key and guarding the console, supervisor tells worker to clear the path, worker reports when done, supervisor installs the key and turns on the robot overlord. This all hinges on the magic key being an effective isolation; which, needs to be proven through technical manuals, equipment drawings, and manufactures technicians. Tribal knowledge is never enough. If there is any doubt then a LOTO procedure should be required.
If the key somehow manages to control all the energy sources, it counts as a single source and as long as the key is unique to each robot, the worker going inside keeping the key meets all the hallmarks of an effective LOTO, assuming he tags the key housing and control apparatus explaining he has it pulled.

The supervisor should only touch LOTO when it becomes cross function (operators locking out for maintenance or maintenance performing isolation steps) or will extend for greater than one shift. Making the supervisor touch every single LOTO is a very popular training wheels step that they forget to take out when everyone knows how to LOTO and also a good way to get people to say gently caress that and just skip it because when has a supervisor ever had a free minute?

Operators clearing blockages is the perfect situation for an entirely operator handled single source if the engineering is feasible. Even if there's a handful of sources, since its solely in the operators wheelhouse and something that gets done within one shift, its a very good candidate for a low administrative overhead lockout where the operator denergizes and locks the energy sources under his own direction with a local lockbox.

A risk assessment is the right request, especially because if all the safety organs are functioning correctly, it should trigger a root cause analysis about why it needs manually cleared so often in the first place and the bosses can be happy when they improve production by an iota by fixing that concurrent with making the clearing process take longer.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
How to start then put out an electrical fire.

Step 1: Let it be winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_r4NALv0Ao

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

I'll freely admit my ignorance for industrial electric stuff, but I feel like "I don't know what happened, lets throw some snow on it" is the mentality that might have caused this problem in the first place. :ussr:

Big Steveo
Apr 5, 2007

by astral
That took longer to trip than I am comfortable with. But... Russia amirite?

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Big Steveo posted:

That took longer to trip than I am comfortable with. But... Russia amirite?

Is that what happened? It didn't seem like it was ever going to cut out, so I thought he must have yelled it to death.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
The guy carefully checking the sheet in front of him just before all the magic smoke got let out reminds me of that bit from the Chernobyl disaster:

"We've tried following the emergency shutdown procedure but half of the items are crossed out"
"...do all the things that are crossed out then"

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

I like how the guy strongly suspects something will go wrong, you can see him flinching initially when the guy does what he is about to do

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0phCrgRwBM

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Oh my god his website is the best thing I've ever seen http://www.strokerengine.com/intro.html

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Come on, man. It's not like cameras are rocket science

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Hot Karl Marx posted:

doesnt matter, I know jobsites won't let you drive them around with the boom fully extended, I know you're misreading me on purpose

Ok, so you are being dumb on purpose. You never said anything about jobsite rules, only that you can't drive them from the basket with the boom fully extended. Obviously that's wrong, as I have, without being catapulted out of the basket. If a site has a rule against it then it's probably because some idiot operator didn't bother to make sure he was driving on flat ground and launched himself.

I'm dropping this argument because I just scrolled through your post history in this thread, and I see that you're an ~*equipment operator*~ and in my experience operators know best about everything and don't need advice from actual trained mechanics.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Propaganda Hour posted:

Oh my god his website is the best thing I've ever seen http://www.strokerengine.com/intro.html

Yes, yes it does.

Also:

Edit: Not osha, but it was just around the corner from the explosive truck. Although I guess it could be osha in a way. Great job blurring out the phone number google.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 29, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/x8em3tW.gifv

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That's a grade A+ fencing response. Ouch.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Some pretty serious decorticate posturing going on, dude probably got turned into a vegetable RIP

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Ok usually these don't affect me much but this one is hosed up.

The question then, for this man, is how long until we turn off the ventilator? :ohdear:

:(

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

ChesterJT posted:

Yes, yes it does.

Something tells me this guy makes a drat good engine though.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I bet he's got a cool workshop with lots of neon signs and stuff

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014

Seems almost too perfect to be real with all the cameras around

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Uh yeah I did some quick calculations and that's like a 15 kg log being flung at about 100 km/h.

Guy might have survived just a hit from the log, but the crush against the trailer almost certainly shattered his skull.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

VectorSigma posted:

Uh yeah I did some quick calculations and that's like a 15 kg log being flung at about 100 km/h.

Guy might have survived just a hit from the log, but the crush against the trailer almost certainly shattered his skull.

And that pose on the way down is sign of a bad coma.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Allegedly his skull was fractured, but he lived.

No word on brain damage.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

dis astranagant posted:

And that pose on the way down is sign of a bad coma.

Yeah, that's some grade A decorticate response. It's a pretty good indicator of "Brain be hosed".

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Platystemon posted:

No word on brain damage.

He was a labourer. It was a pre-existing condition :rimshot:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://zippy.gfycat.com/GaseousAcceptableCoral.webm

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I sunk my battleship!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I like how with a simple pan you can almost tell the exact moment the camera operators goes from worrying about the missile loving up to worrying the fact the entire front of their ship appears to be on fire.