Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SnipeShow
Nov 7, 2009

That dance wasn't as safe as they said it was.

Thor 2 is a much better movie if you imagine Kat Dennings as Loki in disguise.

He is just running around kissing dudes and getting into hijinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They rolled back 'midnight' screenings to 9pm and then 7pm in 2013, the year after The Avengers which greatly improved the audience numbers for those previews. Before then the Fri-Sun weekends didn't include Thursdays at all, since then they've pretty much added an extra day's worth of box office receipts to their opening totals.

Except that only the first sentence is true, because the THR article I linked to explicitly says that the midnight screenings were included in Friday grosses.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

SnipeShow posted:

Thor 2 is a much better movie if you imagine Kat Dennings as Loki in disguise.

He is just running around kissing dudes and getting into hijinks.

This is like the first thing that's made me interested in watching Thor 2

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair that's the arc of every MCU character except Captain America.

Tony Stark never becomes less of a jerk though.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

Tony Stark never becomes less of a jerk though.

true to the comics

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out what I'm saying because I feel like BvS broke me, kinda? There's something about that whole movie that bothered me on a deep level and I'm trying to wrack my brain around it. Like, outside of the editing, the film makes me feel just awful. And it's not really about killing or not killing, but about character, ultimately. And how Superman's character just doesn't jive with me.

Based on this and your many other posts in the thread, you should probably just be very careful about the media you consume, because you seem to take it to heart in very strange ways. Getting genuinely upset (I'm kind of inferring there) because the villain of a film threatened to do something terrible is showing an astonishing capacity for empathy. If movies where Superman saves everyone (albeit at cost) leave you feeling hopeless, you may want to think very hard about going to see movies.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

On the subject of Thor 2, when the movie came out I remember reading an interview with the director where he made it clear he wasn't happy with the movie as the studio forced edits he didn't want. I remember him saying specifically that the Christopher Eccleston character lost 20 minutes of screentime as a result of the cuts.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snowman_McK posted:

Based on this and your many other posts in the thread, you should probably just be very careful about the media you consume, because you seem to take it to heart in very strange ways. Getting genuinely upset (I'm kind of inferring there) because the villain of a film threatened to do something terrible is showing an astonishing capacity for empathy. If movies where Superman saves everyone (albeit at cost) leave you feeling hopeless, you may want to think very hard about going to see movies.

Please judge me as a human some more.

Also, I'd rather make movies tbh.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Please judge me as a human some more.

Also, I'd rather make movies tbh.

You've written hundreds of words about superhero movies leaving you feeling depressed, defeated, empty and vanquished. I'm not judging you, at this point I'm kind of worried.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Only two movies have done that though. And those two were both directed by Zack Snyder. That man has a way of making me hate something I normally quite enjoy.

To me, it's like going to a party, but no one telling you it's a funeral. I kinda prefer the party tbh.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Barenaked Ladies huh?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CelticPredator posted:

Only two movies have done that though. And those two were both directed by Zack Snyder. That man has a way of making me hate something I normally quite enjoy.

To me, it's like going to a party, but no one telling you it's a funeral. I kinda prefer the party tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hat Thoughts posted:

Barenaked Ladies huh?

Mmmhmm.

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

Your wisdom and continued patience with me is truly superhuman.
You the real Superman, Phylodox... you the real Superman...

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
BvS was good, Eisenberg Lex is best Lex

Edit: What was the deal with the critics? Normally there would be a more even spread of opinions for a movie that made this much money, irregardless of quality. It's like the exact reverse of what happened with Dragon Age 2, the disconnect is bizarre.

Kulkasha fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 29, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kulkasha posted:

Edit: What was the deal with the critics? Normally there would be a more even spread of opinions for a movie that made this much money, irregardless of quality. It's like the exact reverse of what happened with Dragon Age 2, the disconnect is bizarre.

The most charitable interpretation is that people have a tendency to react negatively when you give them something that they weren't expecting (on a high level, I don't mean a sudden twist in the plot or whatever). Critics have been conditioned to expect a superhero movie that does certain things, and BvS explicitly goes against those assumptions.

With Dragon Age 2, it was significantly different from the first game but it wasn't really that different for a Bioware RPG, or even an RPG in general. Also there's a lot of shilling in the video game industry, but that's a separate topic.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I liked Dragon Age II, though it has some rough edges. I liked BvS, not quite as much as DAII, has it's moments, but I'd give a thumbs up. That's my story. BvS didn't let me romance a sassy pirate woman, so... tough to compare.

Batman II: Batman Romances a Pirate Woman, this is the movie for me.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

[quote="Snowglobe of Doom" post="457961976"]
Superman II back in 1980 was operating under standard superhero/action movie rules so when he killed Zod that time he looked like this:

... but when the DCCU Superman kills Zod he looks like this:

MoS wasn't trying to be standard comicbook/action movie and it instead decided to question the cliched comicbook resolution by asking "What if you can't neatly make the problem go away? What if you don't get the triumphant happy ending? What if the good guy doesn't have all the answers just because he's the good guy?"

It's more interesting that the Superman II photo is of a Superman, when confronted by a problem he couldn't out punch, instead resorted to outsmarting the villains. MoS didn't even try to consider that approach.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jenny Angel posted:

Batman v Superman, for example, is not made in lighthearted jest. It is, instead, grimdark

Batman v. Superman is actually pretty funny. Despite what I said about Lex's ideology earlier (and I stand by it) Eisenberg's performance as an insecure megalomaniac strikes a great balance between uncomfortable and hilarious. Bruce's paranoid fantasies are all things that he takes seriously, but they're framed in a way that subtly takes the piss out of them (or not-so-subtly, like the RIDING ON A PILLAR OF BATS -- that had the whole theater in stitches.)

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Phylodox posted:

I mean...if absolutely nothing else, Thor 2 has Idris Elba murdering a spaceship singlehanded, and that's not nothing.

He does it with no hands in Prometheus. :smuggo:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Davros1 posted:

[quote="Snowglobe of Doom" post="457961976"]
Superman II back in 1980 was operating under standard superhero/action movie rules so when he killed Zod that time he looked like this:

... but when the DCCU Superman kills Zod he looks like this:

MoS wasn't trying to be standard comicbook/action movie and it instead decided to question the cliched comicbook resolution by asking "What if you can't neatly make the problem go away? What if you don't get the triumphant happy ending? What if the good guy doesn't have all the answers just because he's the good guy?"

It's more interesting that the Superman II photo is of a Superman, when confronted by a problem he couldn't out punch, instead resorted to outsmarting the villains together with Lois Lane after which they killed all three of them. MoS took a "more humane" approach where Lois uses her knowledge to warp them back into the Phantom Zone except for Zod, who is killed by Superman like in Superman II.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Barry Convex posted:

...no, the chart isn't wrong per se. You're just wrong to think that it's anything but common practice to include Thursday night previews in Friday grosses. Neither of the Avengers films, or IM3, or TDKR, or now BvS, made anywhere near as much in a single day as that chart would have it.

The thing about including Thursday in the Friday totals that it made sense when the only Thursday showings started at 11:59 pm. I saw BvS at 630 pm on Thursday, that's 3 separate showings before Friday I don't think any of the other movies you mention in your post had 3 extra showings on Thursday (actually 6 where I saw it, because they had 2 screens, one 3d, one 2d). Star Wars is the only other movie I can think of that had that many early screenings, and that's loving Star Wars, of course it was going to make all the loving money.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Yeah, it's actually not more interesting to consider whether Superman enforces his moral order through being smarter or being stronger than other people, compared to considering whether he should enforce his moral order at all and how he feels about it afterwards.

Bizarro notwithstanding. :v:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

No evidence they died. I mean, Clark managed to walk to the Fortress of Solitude in nothing but a JC Penny's jacket.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Senator Purrington. That's a character in a hugely successful movie that includes superhuman violence and explosions.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Zombie Boat posted:

Senator Purrington. That's a character in a hugely successful movie that includes superhuman violence and explosions.

Played by real-life Vermont Senator Patrick Leahy, no less.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

Played by real-life Vermont Senator Patrick Leahy, no less.

As of BvS, I think he's now been in more Batman movies than any other actor: Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, TDK, TDKR, and BvS. The runners-up would be Michael Gough and Pat Hingle, who were each in all four Burton-Schumacher films.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Zombie Boat posted:

Senator Purrington.

This is gonna be the name of my next cat

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just stumbled across a person in a FB discussion who was confused because the same guy played a Hydra agent in TWS as well as Luthor's head thug in BvS. She couldn't seem to figure out that actors play different roles.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I saw BvS with someone who argued that there's no Christ imagery in the film and that I'm making it up and it's just left me really confused. I loved Jesse Eisenberg.

Zombie Boat posted:

I loved this too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I saw BvS with someone who argued that there's no Christ imagery in the film and that I'm making it up and it's just left me really confused. I loved Jesse Eisenberg.

Now you know who scenes like this are for:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

computer parts posted:

Also Snyder just happened to film Cavill against stained glass Garden of Gethsemane. By accident. The night before Superman reveals himself and turns himself in to Pontius Swanwick.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

computer parts posted:

I pointed out stuff like that and was told that it was generic savior imagery, because Superman isn't divine. This was with a very serious Christian so I think he basically didn't like his faith being compared to a punching man movie, but I personally like the whole metaphor and DO find it uplifting.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

computer parts posted:

With Dragon Age 2, it was significantly different from the first game but it wasn't really that different for a Bioware RPG, or even an RPG in general. Also there's a lot of shilling in the video game industry, but that's a separate topic.

Dragon Age 2 is a horrifically bad game and could be considered the video game equivalent of a war crime.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Skwirl posted:

The thing about including Thursday in the Friday totals that it made sense when the only Thursday showings started at 11:59 pm. I saw BvS at 630 pm on Thursday, that's 3 separate showings before Friday I don't think any of the other movies you mention in your post had 3 extra showings on Thursday (actually 6 where I saw it, because they had 2 screens, one 3d, one 2d). Star Wars is the only other movie I can think of that had that many early screenings, and that's loving Star Wars, of course it was going to make all the loving money.

I don't get why it's still common practice either, but it is, to the point where sites like BoxOfficeMojo don't even track Thursday numbers separately. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

bring back old gbs posted:

Aw man it turns out like...the president is some sort of..uh, super Hydra! All the regular old hydra guys will never see it coming when it turns out the real Hydra is extra evil now. The stakes have been raised.

Funny thing is Agents of SHIELD actually has the HYDRA god (as in, the very reason HYDRA was formed thousands of years ago) as the current big bad without the Civil War writers knowing anything about it.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i like the hand print

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mordiceius posted:

Dragon Age 2 is a horrifically bad game and could be considered the video game equivalent of a war crime.

Well I guess war crimes are cool now, because that game was cool.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Boob Marley posted:

Here is the full chart. Use it to create your opinions/feelings.

needs more Darkman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Now this is an article I trust

quote:

How ‘Batman V Superman’ Will Turn A Profit Despite Critical Kryptonite

Warner Bros.’ Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice might come up $3.7M million short of breaking even in its global theatrical run. However, the first title in DC features 2.0., which was blasted by critics with a 29% Rotten score and given a B CinemaScore from audiences, likely will turn a minimum profit of $207.9M once all revenue streams are accounted. Warner Bros provided no comment about BvS projections. Financial analysts today assembled a bare-minimum projection for the Zack Snyder movie, which is projected to turn in a domestic B.O. of $375M (2.25 times its $166M FSS) and a global take of $925M.

“It will not make a profit in the way that Zootopia (global B.O. $698M, cost $150M) or Deadpool (global B.O. $746M, cost $58M) have,” said our source. We’ve heard that any B.O. figure north of $800M was considered a good start for DC movies 2.0. Some sources think there’s a possibility that BvS could hit $1B globally, and that’s because nothing is standing in the pic’s way. Disney’s live-action/CGI version of The Jungle Book debuts April 8 in Australia, Argentina, Russia and Southeast Asia (15% of foreign) before touching down April 15 stateside. Seventy percent of international will bow day-and-date with U.S. Universal’s The Huntsman: Winter’s War starts its journey abroad in 24 territories on April 6 and lands in U.S./Canada and everywhere else April 22.

Currently, exhibitors are projecting a 65% decline for BvS this weekend, or $74.7M (we heard some exhibitors weren’t overly thrilled, but if it’s making money, that’s not going to stop them from showing it). In regards to its tracking,The Jungle Book conceivably could open to $62M in No. 1 stateside, fueled by female and older male quadrants. Last year, after F7 opened over Easter weekend, it held the top spot for four frames until Avengers: Age of Ultron launched the summer.

In the rundown below, foreign rentals are figured at 40%, while U.S./Canadian money comes back to Burbank at an average 55% of domestic B.O. We’ve also heard that worldwide P&A rose from $150M to $165M at the last minute “because Warner Bros had to make sure this picture opened,” said another source. Pricey P&A is never a bad thing: It means that the studio gave a drat and invested in the movie. Had it not spent, and BvS didn’t open, then that would be bad.

Global home entertainment revenues (that includes SVOD) for BvS are estimated at $260M, which would be less than the $311M made by Age of Ultron. Worldwide TV revenue at $135M would also be estimated to be under Ultron‘s $143M total TV take. Participations and residual payouts to the BvS cast are estimated at $92.4M, which is $10M less than Ultron. The chart is below. Note, this is before any merchandising is taken into consideration. Three years ago, The Licensing Letter weighed global retails sales for Batman and Superman at $771M combined.

• Locked thread