Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

oh god do I have to go in there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo8_DsmVTCM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

CJacobs posted:

if you don't want bugs, code your game competently and there won't be any when it's time for release. exactly how many times to developers have to do the exact same thing before they learn?

This is why:
Boss: Good new everybody, we're going live shortly.
Coders: Okay, I guess in about six months it should be properly tested, debugged and ready for release.
Boss: Haha, no, we're releasing it in four weeks. That's the deadline and it cannot be moved, no matter what.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Ariong posted:

I have a request. In one of the Mass Effect games there was a human npc with a really messed up face who didn't have a helmet despite being in space. This was because somehow whatever flag or tag was supposed to be set for Turian was set to Human instead. Can someone find me a picture or a wiki page of him?

This guy?

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Elanos_Haliat

Doesn't look that messed up. Aren't you confusing this with some kind of save editing or hacking fuckup? I know that sort of thing can lead to really bizarre faces.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

The Kins posted:

So there's a Russian ROM hack of Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 on Megadrive, called Ultimate Mortal Kombat Trilogy, that adds tons of extra characters and content from previous games along with a bunch of new moves and such. It's pretty cool, but as you can expect, it's pretty buggy. Somewhat embracing this, the developer added a hidden mode that pits two CPUs against each other and lets them use their fatalities at any time... including during the other player's fatality.

Here is an hour of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JBEn0F3JSY

Oh my, some of that is really amazing, this one in particular with Goro attempting a fatality on Shang Tsung (who appears to be concurrently executing a Friendship).

Holy poo poo I am falling out of my chair laughing at this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JBEn0F3JSY&t=1491s. Shang Tsung turns into a T-rex who then bites off Johnny Cage's head, then a bull charges through the screen to take out Cage's midsection, and a shark comes out of the ground and bites off his legs, then something completely hosed happens to Shang Tsung where it looks like his body turns into a card??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JBEn0F3JSY&t=2252s Liu Kang turns into a dragon who is then exploded by Rain's lightning bolt (or is he??), but then the dragon still bites off Rain's torso... meanwhile Liu Kang's body comes out of nowhere, uppercut's the remaining lower half of Rain's body, which then eject's Rain's entire body who then promptly walks over and uppercut's Liu Kang into the stratosphere while a disco ball appears overhead!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JBEn0F3JSY&t=2767s Scorpion gets annihilated by about 5 different fatalities in a row, finished up with a giant foot stomp out of nowhere.

That video is pure gold.

flowinprose has a new favorite as of 21:24 on Mar 28, 2016

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Dragonwagon posted:

This guy?

Doesn't look that messed up. Aren't you confusing this with some kind of save editing or hacking fuckup? I know that sort of thing can lead to really bizarre faces.

Bro, what happened to your glasses?

Wait, where's your helmet?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Dragonwagon posted:

This guy?

Aw I guess I misremembered. He is a pretty normal looking dude. Oh well.

For content: In Super Mario World, the music speeds up when you only have 100 seconds left to complete a level. In the bonus level Funky, there are special green berries which, if eaten by a Yoshi, add 20 seconds to the timer. They are only in that one level and they are the only way of adding more time to the timer. That's probably why Nintendo forgot to make it so that bringing the timer back above 100 slows the music back down. Instead, it gets faster and faster every time it dips below 100.

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.

Thanks for this, I tried watching a bit but it was pretty hit and miss for me, having a highlight reel is fantastic.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

Stoatbringer posted:

This is why:
Boss: Good new everybody, we're going live shortly.
Coders: Okay, I guess in about six months it should be properly tested, debugged and ready for release.
Boss: Haha, no, we're releasing it in four weeks. That's the deadline and it cannot be moved, no matter what.

Isn't this like half the reason Sonic keeps getting his grave dug deeper and deeper? I know for sure this is why Sonic 2006 was such a shitshow, but I think Sonic Boom might've gotten the old "whoops our boss forced us to release a mostly untested alpha" treatment too.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Ariong posted:

Aw I guess I misremembered. He is a pretty normal looking dude. Oh well.

For content: In Super Mario World, the music speeds up when you only have 100 seconds left to complete a level. In the bonus level Funky, there are special green berries which, if eaten by a Yoshi, add 20 seconds to the timer. They are only in that one level and they are the only way of adding more time to the timer. That's probably why Nintendo forgot to make it so that bringing the timer back above 100 slows the music back down. Instead, it gets faster and faster every time it dips below 100.

Honestly I don't blame them, from what I've seen in SMW and SM64 hacking they did some really wacky poo poo to optimize the games and squeeze the most out of the console's potential. I mean, this is just a minor oversight so it's basically unrelated, but my point is that they were probably more concerned with making the whole drat game fit onto a couple kilobytes than anything. Also, I think SMW is literally the only 2D Mario game where there was any way at all to extend the level timer in any level. Only thing that'd be bigger blasphemy is making a time limit in a classic Sonic game that's not exactly 10 minutes. :colbert:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

New Sonic games suck because the people working on it don't care about it, and the people who care about it a lot shouldn't be allowed near it or within 500 feet of schools.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

RandomFerret posted:

New Sonic games suck because the people working on it don't care about it, and the people who care about it a lot shouldn't be allowed near it or within 500 feet of schools.

so we need people who care about it just a little bit?

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Farecoal posted:

so we need people who care about it just a little bit?

No just people who don't want to gently caress midget bats with tits.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Nah, I think the little bit is the way to go. But just, like, a little little bit. Like, having this conversation disqualifies all three of us, you need somebody who's like "Oh, that game, I saw it at jumbo video a couple of times when I was renting mario kart. We should bring that back, it looked pretty cool" and nobody ever tells that person that there was more than one game.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

RandomFerret posted:

Nah, I think the little bit is the way to go. But just, like, a little little bit. Like, having this conversation disqualifies both of us, you need somebody who's like "Oh, that game, I saw it at jumbo video a couple of times when I was renting mario kart. We should bring that back, it looked pretty cool" and nobody ever tells that person that there was more than one game.

Get that guy to make a new Virtual On and I'll be on that poo poo like flies... on poo poo.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

RandomFerret posted:

Nah, I think the little bit is the way to go. But just, like, a little little bit. Like, having this conversation disqualifies all three of us, you need somebody who's like "Oh, that game, I saw it at jumbo video a couple of times when I was renting mario kart. We should bring that back, it looked pretty cool" and nobody ever tells that person that there was more than one game.

At that point, why not have Sega find an Indie game or something that's mostly finished and just Sonic-like enough to pass as one, and then pay them and publish it with Sonic assets?

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
They should've just done that with Tembo the Badass Elephant, which they published and is very similar to a modern 2D Sonic game.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

BlueKingBar posted:

No just people who don't want to gently caress midget bats with tits.

Well, good luck with that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

BlueKingBar posted:

Isn't this like half the reason Sonic keeps getting his grave dug deeper and deeper? I know for sure this is why Sonic 2006 was such a shitshow, but I think Sonic Boom might've gotten the old "whoops our boss forced us to release a mostly untested alpha" treatment too.

It's the shortest possible summary for what happened to 2006 and Rise of Lyric, but it doesn't really describe the totality of what happened. For the whole Sonic 2006 story, Andrea Ritsu did a great summary of the events that led up to it that can basically be summarized as mismanagement on all possible levels. I don't really know the story behind Rise of Lyric either, but if an anonymous Games Done Quick donation can be believed they had a dangerously low amount of testers, which sounds about right.

Something I find fun about Sonic development is that, somehow, there aren't actually a lot of common themes. Instead, Sonic's been going for so long and had such weird development cycles that everything bad that could happen to a game in development has happened at some point. Sonic games have been forced to be made on low budgets, had content stolen from them, been subject to too much executive meddling, too little executive meddling, rested on its laurels too long, tried to innovate too hard, and a whole host of other incidents. The only incident I've ever heard of a person working so hard they almost died happened on a Sonic game.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Haha I went to The Cutting Room Floor page for Sonic 06 (great website btw if you like old games and dummied out content) and found this sorta funny video where cars dont work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqhc1CmxBzQ&t=61s

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

BlueKingBar posted:

Eh, sort of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mo7esa1Tfk

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/GxKiR4W.gifv

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
watchu know about scuttlebugs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPfMATdVN-w

Seriously though, what it is about Mario games and spergy glitch videos?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
People will do in-depth videos of anything they're interested in dude, no need to flip out about it being ~~~spergy~~~ to care enough to make a video of a neat thing

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
"Spergy" or not, that video and others like it are so my thing. :allears: Thanks for the channel, I'm probably gonna binge-watch videos of Paper Mario glitches for a while.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Montalvo posted:

You should never watch any videos from pannenkoek2012 then.

flatluigi posted:

People will do in-depth videos of anything they're interested in dude, no need to flip out about it being ~~~spergy~~~ to care enough to make a video of a neat thing

Your Computer posted:

"Spergy" or not, that video and others like it are so my thing. :allears: Thanks for the channel, I'm probably gonna binge-watch videos of Paper Mario glitches for a while.

You guys should watch videos from pannenkoek2012, like this one where he explains parallel universes and how to get a difficult Star in the underground level of Mario 64 by hitting the "A" button half a time.

Warning: it's nearly 25 minutes long but super interesting if you like tearing apart a video game like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The video would probably make a better impression if he hadn't drawn out "I calculated how much time it would take to hammer this block until the game crashed, taking into account framerate drops, and it's 416 years" for a solid three minutes.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
That's who he was talking about with the 'scuttlebug' reference at the top of the post, and yeah pannenkoek's videos are legit entertaining and worth watching.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Montalvo posted:

wish i was in a parallel universe where u didnt post!!!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
pannenkoek is cool because he remains super chill and soft-spoken while he patiently describes everything in excruciating detail, so you can just sit there shaking your head at his incomprehensible Relativistic Mario bullshit, but like, in a really relaxed way

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

The video would probably make a better impression if he hadn't drawn out "I calculated how much time it would take to hammer this block until the game crashed, taking into account framerate drops, and it's 416 years" for a solid three minutes.

I was hoping he'd memory edit it so we could at least see the crash.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

-I'm good at seeing things already posted-

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Tunicate posted:

I was hoping he'd memory edit it so we could at least see the crash.

He did. It froze.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Max you probably should lay off the pills for a while, they're not supposed to give you x-ray vision.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

You say glitch, I say literally every rocket I've ever built in KSP. (What are those cool unfolding things though? I haven't played since they added the first planet beyond Kerbin/Mun)

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

You say glitch, I say literally every rocket I've ever built in KSP. (What are those cool unfolding things though? I haven't played since they added the first planet beyond Kerbin/Mun)
The unfolding things are from a mod - KSP just had a major update and a lot of mods broke, which is whats causing the rocket to freak out.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

yet even without mods my rocket still freaks out (as they say)

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

They're legs so that the rocket can attempt to land after being used, ala the SpaceX Falcon 9

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

http://i.imgur.com/Ih0llZ1.gifv edit: it's from the FFXV demo, and that's probably the coolest falling animation I've seen in a game

Grey Fox has a new favorite as of 14:02 on Apr 2, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

That is the best way of communicating "OH CHRIST poo poo IM FALLING" since Mirrors Edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Grey Fox posted:

http://i.imgur.com/Ih0llZ1.gifv edit: it's from the FFXV demo, and that's probably the coolest falling animation I've seen in a game

gently caress you Carbuncle, you just made things worse