Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was considering doing high AP pistol / VATS build for a new character if I do end up running one. Is that fun, or am I just setting myself up for a lategame slog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They'll have to rework the "Settlement is under attack" stuff for survival mode too. It'd be impossible to return to, say, Red Rocket from the other side of the map in time.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

hmm, so you can finish the main quest without choosing BOS or Inst as your "side"? Is completing/leading any of the Minutemen, railroad, BOS or Inst mutually exclusive with each other? If so, which conflict?

thanks

Yes. Between the Railroad, BoS, and Institute, you'll have to kill the other two factions you didn't choose. With the Minutemen, the only faction you have to kill is the Institute, but there's an option to take out the BoS if you're inclined.

You can work for everyone for a surprisingly long amount of time. The game will warn you before undertaking a quest that will antagonize another faction.

RBA Starblade posted:

They'll have to rework the "Settlement is under attack" stuff for survival mode too. It'd be impossible to return to, say, Red Rocket from the other side of the map in time.

Exactly. And you're going to have so many more settlements to worry about too, with less stuff in them, due to using them as save waypoints and the reduced carry limit preventing you from going crazy with defenses.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I don't really care about realism, it'd just be nice to make the game a little more difficult. I like a lot of the ideas like deadlier combat, the sleep/adrenaline/fatigue idea. The weight system just goes against my natural videogame hoarder instincts.

The survival system goes against the game itself.

Started the download before I left for work, gonna start a melee guy in survival.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

The survival system goes against the game itself.

Started the download before I left for work, gonna start a melee guy in survival.

That's not going to work. Just throw away any expectation that the harder difficulties in this game are in any way balanced for melee.

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003

death .cab for qt posted:

It's only a problem for specifics for weapons, really. Most of what you need at settlements is already around you, just scrap everything and set up supply lines.

Instead of collecting everything highlighted for your crafting, just mark Adhesive (always needed) and pick up only what you need of the rest. Still totally manageable.

I tagged a few other key items that are harder to come by such as fiber optics and copper. I almost always avoid things with steel since it is on everything, and try to keep it to items that weigh less than 0.5 lbs.

Essentially Bethesda is just adding a mini game to existing (boring) game mechanics:

Save: instead of pressing a button to save, you now have to find a place to sleep. No more useless beds sitting out in the wasteland!

Weight: Instead of carrying the weight equivalent of an adult brahmin in your backpack, you now have to make multiple risky salvage runs or bring a storage bot with you.

Healing: No more spamming stimpacks to watch your little bar go up and down, you'll actually have to treat maladies separately and pace your chem use appropriately due to drawbacks.

Food/water: no longer useless McGuffins, now will become consumable resources that need to be managed. You will think twice about tossing that can of Pork'nBeans

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I can't imagine playing a bethesda game without regular saves being a good idea

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 29, 2016

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

You would think so, but not the case. Fast travelling actually fast forwards a lot more time than walking across the map. The game gives ample time to get there in time. The event will also not even begin till you get there so its not like the attack is taking place the minute you get the message.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Yes. Between the Railroad, BoS, and Institute, you'll have to kill the other two factions you didn't choose. With the Minutemen, the only faction you have to kill is the Institute, but there's an option to take out the BoS if you're inclined.

You can work for everyone for a surprisingly long amount of time. The game will warn you before undertaking a quest that will antagonize another faction.

Great reply, thanks. It sounds like BOS and Minutemen are endgame compatible, then? I think I'll finish my first playthrough as pro-Inst and then my second, modded survival run as BOS+Minutemen.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

sector_corrector posted:

I was considering doing high AP pistol / VATS build for a new character if I do end up running one. Is that fun, or am I just setting myself up for a lategame slog?

As long as you're not wedded to ballistics, you're fine. The laser and plasma chassis can both be converted to pistol grips, and you get a couple nice guaranteed legendary ballistic drops, too, if you follow the faction/main storyline.

You won't get the sheer variety of someone who decided to go for, say, heavy weapons, but you'll have a variety of projectiles and you won't be plinking damage.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Is anyone able to run the Fo4 beta through Mod Organizer? It seems to start them just stops without launching.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

Great reply, thanks. It sounds like BOS and Minutemen are endgame compatible, then? I think I'll finish my first playthrough as pro-Inst and then my second, modded survival run as BOS+Minutemen.

Yep. Additionally, every faction is neutral to Minutemen if you belong to the faction in question. For example, you can side with the BoS, Railroad, and Institute and still help the Minutemen on the side.

The only exception to this is if you side with the Minutemen as your main faction. This will antagonize the Institute, but not vice versa.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lunatikfringe posted:

You would think so, but not the case. Fast travelling actually fast forwards a lot more time than walking across the map. The game gives ample time to get there in time. The event will also not even begin till you get there so its not like the attack is taking place the minute you get the message.

I didn't know that, I guess that won't be too constraining then. The only real annoying for me then is the lack of fast travel between them, just because it makes harvesting a huge pain in the rear end. I'll probably just use the console to make backup saves every now and then, because it's Bethesda. I dig the rest of Survival Mode's ideas. I didn't like Hardcore in New Vegas, but being able to make your own food and water and supplies goes a long way for me. I feel like it's a better use of its systems. I wish more settlers showed up than just 10+CHA though.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Personally I'm surprised there are people who play with fast travel that doesn't involve Vertibirds.

But yeah, assaults give you more than enough time to respond even if you go on foot (I think it's one in game day) and you shouldn't get into any trouble unless you have to go through a location you haven't been in yet or you are easily swayed by random shiny objects.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i barely care enough to fast travel to a settlement when it's under attack. no way in hell i'm walking halfway across the map to do it. best of luck to ya'll, i'll maybe swing by sometime and fix broken poo poo if your settlement is worth anything at all to me.

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003
Forgot to add that as of a patch or two ago, settlements can successfully defend themselves as long as the defense rating is high enough. Not sure what the magic number is for that though.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I get most of the changes, but why on earth would they also reduce respawns? There's only so much poo poo in the vicinity, so it would be that much more tedious to go through areas you already cleared to get to home base, especially with no fast travel.

Hard pass on this one. I just hope they leave regular survival mode intact so I can still have something resembling a challenge without a bunch of tedious bullshit.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
First impressions:

- The drinking/food mechanic seems rather well balanced, as in you don't have to constantly be stuffing your face
- Diseases seem fine, I guess? Have only ran into parasites (requires more food to stay fed) and something that gave me +20% more damage taken
- Firefights are pretty intense now. Ghouls are loving terrifying.
- I never realized before how loving terrible Dogmeat is navigating stairs and not constantly falling to his death
- Still a bit iffy on the save on sleep-only mechanic. It would be a whole lot better if they atleast gave us a save on exit

Pretty neat start, will be interesting to see how they tune it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Honestly I checked out at it disabling the console, but maybe that'll be fixed in the final patch. I use it for too many things besides cheating that it just wouldn't be worth it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Deified Data posted:

Honestly I checked out at it disabling the console, but maybe that'll be fixed in the final patch. I use it for too many things besides cheating that it just wouldn't be worth it.

Wait really? Well poo poo, I was going to at least make saves when I quit.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I am really liking this new survival, but they should just make it a new mode all together called Hardcore Survival, that way all these babies stop getting their panties in a twist.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Wait really? Well poo poo, I was going to at least make saves when I quit.

You might be able to disable that in the ini but I haven't heard any conclusive solutions.

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003

LumberingTroll posted:

I am really liking this new survival, but they should just make it a new mode all together called Hardcore Survival, that way all these babies stop getting their panties in a twist.

I was thinking this as well. You can never please everyone, but this would at least keep a majority of the cake eaters eating cake.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

An a la carte approach would be my suggestion.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

why would anyone prefer original survival to this one, the original was literally take every enemy's health and multiply that by 4 and nothing else

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So my first impression:

It doesn't work with the Dialog mod, so I guess I wait with it.

They also disabled the console for some reason.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

why would anyone prefer original survival to this one, the original was literally take every enemy's health and multiply that by 4 and nothing else

Actually it also reduced the healing rate and increased the number of Legendary enemies you find.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
disabling console for hardcore mode is one of the worst moves they could ever make considering that bethesda is incapable of making a game that doesn't break in one way or another several times during a playthrough

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

disabling console for hardcore mode is one of the worst moves they could ever make considering that bethesda is incapable of making a game that doesn't break in one way or another several times during a playthrough

Its not much of an issue when playing without mods. I have only legitimately had to use TCL on account of being stuck once, and that was when I tried to use a terminal that had a chair in front of it. Other times, I became stuck after trying to jump places I shouldn't have (terrain abusing, etc). Never really had to use console other than that in 300 hours of play time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lunatikfringe posted:

Its not much of an issue when playing without mods. I have only legitimately had to use TCL on account of being stuck once, and that was when I tried to use a terminal that had a chair in front of it. Other times, I became stuck after trying to jump places I shouldn't have (terrain abusing, etc). Never really had to use console other than that in 300 hours of play time.

I have to keep using placeatme commands to get companions unstuck. No mods on my end either.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Started a new playthrough specific for the robot DLC which has me taking all the crafting perks to maximize robot carnage. I end up having tons of int and not much else, including 1 agility. Every other build I've either had a ton of sneak or VATS but in this one it isn't an option. It's not hard per se, just not as efficient. I have the heavy weapons and demolition perks and may actually use stims for the first time. I assume it becomes easy eventually like everything else, but is there some strategy that makes the earlier levels go smoother? When I bust out the heavy weapons and grenades it's as easy as the other builds, but I don't have the ammo yet to consistently have that as an option.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

KDdidit posted:

Started a new playthrough specific for the robot DLC which has me taking all the crafting perks to maximize robot carnage. I end up having tons of int and not much else, including 1 agility. Every other build I've either had a ton of sneak or VATS but in this one it isn't an option. It's not hard per se, just not as efficient. I have the heavy weapons and demolition perks and may actually use stims for the first time. I assume it becomes easy eventually like everything else, but is there some strategy that makes the earlier levels go smoother? When I bust out the heavy weapons and grenades it's as easy as the other builds, but I don't have the ammo yet to consistently have that as an option.

avoid combat, and do quests for xp. specifically ones that don't involve clearing a dungeon or something unless you have the ammo for it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

It's just while it's in beta, you'll be able to use it (And mods) whenever they get around to the full release.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
They disabled mods for the beta, wont have them back till its out of beta. They also intentionally disabled console, and I can see the reason. carry weight is a big part of the survival changes, and if you can just modav carryweight +1000 then yeah it throws off most of their changes.

The only issues I am seeing, is that dogmeat dies easily, and falls off poo poo, so be ready to use a lot of stims to keep him alive, or leave him at home. I have never had a follower get stuck and I have several hundred hours into the game, if you just want away, or zone into building they just teleport to you anyway.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's just while it's in beta, you'll be able to use it (And mods) whenever they get around to the full release.

the mods part yes, but I dont think so on the console. but other than seeing a response on the official forums where it the answer was that they intentionally disabled it I have no other source. The reason I think the console will stay disabled is you can get around too many of their design decisions, such as carryweight mentioned above, and saving.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

LumberingTroll posted:

the mods part yes, but I dont think so on the console. but other than seeing a response on the official forums where it the answer was that they intentionally disabled it I have no other source. The reason I think the console will stay disabled is you can get around too many of their design decisions, such as carryweight mentioned above, and saving.

Isn't that the point of having a console? Like why would they care if people specifically want to tweak thier survival experience, as opposed to everything else?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Its kinda like playing IronMan xcom, then figuring out some way to save scum, whats the point?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

LumberingTroll posted:

Its kinda like playing IronMan xcom, then figuring out some way to save scum, whats the point?

Different tastes. "Babies". Who cares

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

LumberingTroll posted:

Being able to play a harder mode that hits close to your ideal "survival" but being able to personalize it?

I'm pretty well on board with most of the survival mechanics, but gently caress the "companions die" poo poo. Bethesda will never have a competent enough AI to let that work out and I don't want to have to bother with it when I'm forced to use a companion in these games. Likewise, some people may enjoy the challenges it provides but loving hate the boring-rear end map they have to walk through without fast travel, or maybe they just don't have the time to walk everywhere in the sparse free-time they have.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
They are babies for crying and bitching on a forum because they don't like something, they are not babied because they don't like something. No one gives a gently caress what they like, except them.

death .cab for qt posted:

Being able to play a harder mode that hits close to your ideal "survival" but being able to personalize it?

I'm pretty well on board with most of the survival mechanics, but gently caress the "companions die" poo poo. Bethesda will never have a competent enough AI to let that work out and I don't want to have to bother with it when I'm forced to use a companion in these games. Likewise, some people may enjoy the challenges it provides but loving hate the boring-rear end map they have to walk through without fast travel, or maybe they just don't have the time to walk everywhere in the sparse free-time they have.

Anything people don't like will just get modded anyway, so yes you will get to play your "ideal survival". Just like before. Im sure a mod will even make it so console is active again. Considering there are mods that deactivate it. Demanding that things be changed and crying that you don't like it is the stupid part.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
I like the idea of everything about survival mode except for what's already in the game wrt high difficulties.

I don't like it when every enemy is a bullet sponge while I die in two hits. I am fine with me being weak but not everyone else being strong. That doesn't make any sense, a bullet to the head is a bullet to the head.

• Locked thread