Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
No reason not to switch to GP. You'll get used to it really quickly - I did around 25k street miles before converting to GP and never had an issue with it. The only thing that got me was constantly switching back and forth. We used to parking lot race TTR125s for fun/practice and I always had trouble remembering they were standard. GP just feels more natural, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

NitroSpazzz posted:

Bike is a Honda RS125,
How awesome is that bike? Is it the most awesome thing? Also, how much did it cost you?

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I never had a problem switching between regular and GP, kind of a street/track mentality thing.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Photographer uploaded photos last night and I immediately bought a set, guy gets some nice shots. I almost make the RS125 look like a full size bike.

Need more photographs of this bike. Looks super fun.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I don't like GP shift, personally. RS125 might have a narrow enough power band that you need that mid corner up shift but most of the time I found that as I got faster the shift locations would change until I was finally addressing them through gearing anyways.

I can ride it both ways but I've always felt the whole GP shift thing was way overrated. Stoner ran standard shift, as have a bunch of world champions so it's not like it's a requirement to go fast.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

dema posted:

Photo doesn't do justice to the size of those bikes. They're like overgrown pit bikes. Makes a ninja 250 look big. And they're fast as gently caress.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

How awesome is that bike? Is it the most awesome thing? Also, how much did it cost you?
It is the most awesome thing, I loving love it. Need to try to get more time on it this year since I've done a grand total of one track day since I bought it at the end of the season in 2012. Paid $2k, came with a ton of spares, tires, full support equipment and the guy who's son used to race it lives ~15 minutes away. Stupid amounts of fun.

Z3n posted:

I don't like GP shift, personally. RS125 might have a narrow enough power band that you need that mid corner up shift but most of the time I found that as I got faster the shift locations would change until I was finally addressing them through gearing anyways.
I definitely noticed my shift points changing throughout the day but with a ~2k or less power band I'll give GP a try. If it feels lovely I'll just switch back.

Photo doesn't do justice to the size of those bikes. They're like overgrown pit bikes. Makes a ninja 250 look big. And they're fast as gently caress.
I'll try to get pictures of it next to a real bike Monday. Fast as gently caress indeed even with my slow rear end on it, keep it on a boil and the thing is honestly terrifying. It is one hell of a workout too, constantly shifting gears of your body around the bike. There's also no way to ride it 'relaxed' since that just makes it worse.

dema posted:

Photos from last time, for reference I'm 5'6" and ~135lb.

That's a Ninja 250

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Carousel (turn 4) at TGPR with X-ACT?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

NitroSpazzz posted:

Paid $2k, came with a ton of spares, tires, full support equipment and the guy who's son used to race it lives ~15 minutes away.
Holy hell I'm jealous. Was this like a friend sale? I thought I'd never seen them go for under 6k or something.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Holy hell I'm jealous. Was this like a friend sale? I thought I'd never seen them go for under 6k or something.

Depending on condition, you can pick one up for anywhere from 1k for a blown up one to 4-6k for a really nice one with a pile of spares.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

-Inu- posted:

Carousel (turn 4) at TGPR with X-ACT?
Bingo, I didn't realize how off camber the outside of that one was until I did a walk last time. Let me know if you're headed back there at all this year, I'm aiming to get it out at least four times this season. Probably be little tally twice then Barber and maybe VIR.

Yeah it was a friend sale, they just wanted to cover the cost of the Ninja 250 race bike they were moving too. Prices have been going down though and finding one for <3k isn't too difficult but they go really quick.

I keep thinking about 'upgrading' to a Moriwaki md250. Same bike but with a CRF250X engine, easily upgraded with 250R parts. A little heavier but easier to ride, torque everywhere and less/cheaper maintenance. They're still going for 6k plus though so I'm holding off.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I loved GP shift w/ a quick-shifter on my GSXR. For me and my big feet it made driving out of corners a lot easier and it felt more natural to slam gears down while focusing on driving out and upshift while slowing on the track. It never gave me trouble switching between them unless I was riding hard on the street (then my brain associated fast with GP shift).

Not all bikes need it but I was dragging toes mid corner and having issues at tracks where gearing meant I needed another gear sooner, so GP solved that.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

Bingo, I didn't realize how off camber the outside of that one was until I did a walk last time. Let me know if you're headed back there at all this year, I'm aiming to get it out at least four times this season. Probably be little tally twice then Barber and maybe VIR.
My goal is to be back on a track by July-Sept and tally is probably the track I'll go to. I'll have to see who's running days there, might wait for Marietta Motorsports to host a day since I'm friends with them, but we'll see!

And yeah, caurosel is off camber and it gets a lot of people. On the other end of the spectrum, turn 1 is much more banked than it looks and you can carry a metric fuckton of speed through there.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Going to hit up jennings april 17th, and then (if I can get the bike trailered) ride on a brand new track back in VA the following weekend! GET HYPE :slick:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I sold my YZ450F and am currently looking for a sub-$1k SV650 to turn into a trackbike over the summer. Hopefully going to track the Tuono in the next month, as well.

Wanted to ride Chuckwalla next week but only A group is open and I'm not entirely comfortable taking the Tuono on street tires for that.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 31, 2016

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

What's the go to bike for a first track bike?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
SV650 unless you want a 600. Then you buy a 2nd gen R6, any ZX6R, any 600RR, or any GSXR600.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I would probably just go with whatever is cheapest and easiest to wrench on. Guessing that would be the sv?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Are you willing to sacrifice out and out speed to force better riding technique? SV650.

Do you want to have fun, go fast, and learn to ride faster, slower? 600.

Do you just wanna get slide ways? Supermoto.

Do you just wanna be that guy everyone on track hates? 150+HP bike of any variation where you make it to the throttle stop on corner exit and park it in the corners.

I'm firmly in the last category now.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Except you're not parking it in the corners to 90% of the people there :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Except you're not parking it in the corners to 90% of the people there :v:

I need more horsepower cause I'm still going slower on my liter bikes than I did on my race bikes.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Z3n posted:

I need more horsepower cause I'm still going slower on my liter bikes than I did on my race bikes.

#HRCproblems #marquez #fukulorenzo #yamahasux

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

M42 posted:

Going to hit up jennings april 17th, and then (if I can get the bike trailered) ride on a brand new track back in VA the following weekend! GET HYPE :slick:
Watch out for turn 2 :v:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

If I wreck, I'll pick up your visor/fairing bits for you :v:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

They've probably already been eaten by a gator at this point

edit: Speaking of Jennings animals, a friend and I were once approached by 2 coyotes when we were doing a track walk after dark. Actually, now that I think about it, I also hit a bird in turn 3/4 doing around 90. Fortunately it hit the bike and not loving me, but feathers went everywhere. Weirdest reason for a yellow flag ever.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 1, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I ran a night trackday at the now-renamed Firebird raceway here in Phoenix. Fuckin coyote on track during the middle of a session.... walking around this long sweeper off the main straight. Did I mention this was a night trackday?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

-Inu- posted:

And yeah, caurosel is off camber and it gets a lot of people. On the other end of the spectrum, turn 1 is much more banked than it looks and you can carry a metric fuckton of speed through there.
Yeah turn 1 still scares me a bit but I'm to the point where I'm not braking and downshifting anymore for it. Maybe by the end of the day Monday I'll be going through with just a little roll off. I know the bike can go through flat out but I'm a big chicken.

Animals on track talk a turtle very slowly wandered it's way across the track last year at an endurance race with ~50 cars on track. Almost made it all the way but someone went for a pass mid corner. :rip: turtle

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I had to swerve to avoid the world's fattest groundhog on my first TD.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Has anyone been to Pahrump / Spring Mountain? I took PTO from April 6th to the 10th and I'm not sure what to actually do ( :lol: ). Initial plan was to head to LA and see how far north I could get up HWY1 before stopping for the night, then hitting SF the next day, staying there one day, then heading down south again. I just saw that Track Xperience has Spring Mountain East on the 9th and 10th so I was thinking about just running those on the Tuono.

Worth it?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I don't think I've ever seen an animal on the track at NHMS. The asphalt is so awful and no runoffs so even rodents don't like it.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

Yeah turn 1 still scares me a bit but I'm to the point where I'm not braking and downshifting anymore for it. Maybe by the end of the day Monday I'll be going through with just a little roll off. I know the bike can go through flat out but I'm a big chicken.
The best part is when you go through that turn fast enough to hit the "ideal" line (which you may already be doing), you'll occasionally almost rip your knee off and contemplate why there are 48 cones right at the apex of the turn. I've also seen people take out the signs at Jennings, which is significantly funnier and hurts less.

gently caress, I need to get back on a track.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

-Inu- posted:

The best part is when you go through that turn fast enough to hit the "ideal" line (which you may already be doing), you'll occasionally almost rip your knee off and contemplate why there are 48 cones right at the apex of the turn. I've also seen people take out the signs at Jennings, which is significantly funnier and hurts less.
Turns out I'm still a little bitch and can't convince myself to take 1 flat out. Still taking it fast enough to close some gaps though which is encouraging.

Another successful day at the track. Bike ran great which for some reason seems to surprise everyone. Day started cold (50f) and ended around 80f so I had to change jets between sessions until after lunch but that's ~5 min. GP shift felt good after I adjusted shifter position a bit lower. The people that put this on are looking at doing another 3-5 events this season, I'll probably end up running all of them as long as I don't have something already scheduled. Bike is about half way (150 miles) to needed a new top estimating high on how many laps I run, need to make sure I have all the parts and order them if I don't.

Went ahead and ordered a new back protector and an under suit. Might go try on boots at some point, mine don't fit great because my legs aren't scrawny anymore. :homebrew:

Someone got some video of me, I show up around the 4:10 mark (white bike and suit) - https://www.facebook.com/alan.smeltzer/videos/1244708242223189/

Some pics, you can see my gas tank reminder in the first one, jetting for first session in last.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Looking good!

A few unasked for comments - try popping your knee and body position out the second you start braking. That bike is pretty light so I noticed a couple of little bobbles as you adjust body position late on approach or coming into the corner.

The other thing is you're using piles of track when you don't need to be using it. Sometimes you were out on the curbing when you really didn't need to be - especially on a bike like that, as you get faster, you're going to want some extra margin as you're pushing the limits and fine tuning your turn in/entry speed, etc. When I was racing Id leave about a foot on corner exit for misjudged turn in/too much corner speed/etc, these days it's closer to 4-5 feet, but it makes sure I'm not going to run off the track. Also trying to use less track will result in you getting comfortable navigating the track from midtrack vs the outside really helps with passing, which is gonna be another good tool to have on a bike like that.

It's a pretty amazing feeling to feel like you're flat out and to use only the track you need and suddenly have another 20+feet of track to use to pass, go faster, or ride more comfortably.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Looked like rain on Sat and Sun at Pahrump / Spring Mountain, as well as up in the Big Sur area so I pushed those plans off. Managed to snag a Chuckwalla trackday for Friday from someone that couldn't make it. :)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

Looking good!

A few unasked for comments - try popping your knee and body position out the second you start braking. That bike is pretty light so I noticed a couple of little bobbles as you adjust body position late on approach or coming into the corner.

The other thing is you're using piles of track when you don't need to be using it. Sometimes you were out on the curbing when you really didn't need to be - especially on a bike like that, as you get faster, you're going to want some extra margin as you're pushing the limits and fine tuning your turn in/entry speed, etc. When I was racing Id leave about a foot on corner exit for misjudged turn in/too much corner speed/etc, these days it's closer to 4-5 feet, but it makes sure I'm not going to run off the track. Also trying to use less track will result in you getting comfortable navigating the track from midtrack vs the outside really helps with passing, which is gonna be another good tool to have on a bike like that.

It's a pretty amazing feeling to feel like you're flat out and to use only the track you need and suddenly have another 20+feet of track to use to pass, go faster, or ride more comfortably.

Thank you for this, honestly the more feedback I can get the better. Getting setup right away makes sense and I felt like a lot of the time I was going out of my way to use all the track. I should know better from auto racing but on the bike I have a habit of opening up turns more than needed to get all the way out.

I need to find a better camera spot because rear end-cam with the super short tail section is literally just my rear end. Had a lot of fun playing with lap traffic and setting up passes. Hard to beat going around the outside of a corner on the little 125.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

You look great dude. I agree with what Z3n said about going a little too far out sometimes (props on not going off when you hit the rumble strips around 5:41 though!) but your lines are pretty drat solid overall. You even take the fast line through farmhouse, whereas I ride like a chickenshit :v: You're supposed to go over the rumblestrips in the kink, as you did, but I was always afraid of bending a rim there (to the point where I'd completely gently caress up and go through a gear too high). I know 1 or 2 people who have taken out a rim on those rumblestrips, but those were all during sprint races so it's a really dumb concern for me to have.

But yeah, keep doing what you're doing! Tally is the perfect track for that bike and you're handling the track the way you should!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMmriw_Duxc

That's an old video where I was running 1:06-1:08's (fast I / slow A times). I probably could have picked up an entire second or two just by going through farmhouse properly. My goal is to eventually get down to a 1:02, but I haven't been there in almost 4 years.

(Sorry about the music, it was an inside joke)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Thank you for this, honestly the more feedback I can get the better. Getting setup right away makes sense and I felt like a lot of the time I was going out of my way to use all the track. I should know better from auto racing but on the bike I have a habit of opening up turns more than needed to get all the way out.

I need to find a better camera spot because rear end-cam with the super short tail section is literally just my rear end. Had a lot of fun playing with lap traffic and setting up passes. Hard to beat going around the outside of a corner on the little 125.

No problem. I'd slap a camera to the front of the fairings for your next trackday, dump what you feel is your best full session and I'll offer feedback where I can find it. Also, if you wanna do a supercut at some point of all the places where you felt like you had trouble passing, I can probably offer some guidance there. You were plenty quick in how you closed the gap between those 2 riders, but it appears that your commitment to the wide line on exit constrained you and stopped you from passing in a number of places where you could have maintained speed. What you're gonna discover eventually is that your bike is all about maintained high corner speed, cheating miles per hour out of each corner and it'll take you a lap to get up to speed, and once you do, a single failed pass will kill your speed for a quarter of a lap or so, unlike on a 600/literbike (or even an SV650) where you can get back up to full cornerspeed by the time you hit the next corner.

Also, avoiding excessively opening up the corner gives you the best pass possible - on the inside on corner exit, which is basically a zero risk pass. It's my favorite in the whole wide world.

If you watch this old reel, you can see me do that pass over and over - it's by far the safest trackday (non-race) pass you can do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5SmFJrsC38
Come in for a slightly later apex, tuck up the inside, exit midtrack and pass while they're pointlessly running wide. Faster riders won't let you get away with that, but folks running around your times are going to be a battle to find the right spot no matter what. On your 125, you should be able to do some awesome passes like this, you'll just have to learn precision on corner exit - they're gonna be picking the bike up early and running wide, and you're gonna swing under them just post apex and fire out faster than they ever thought possible. I'm cheating like hell on the SuperDuke with massive amounts of horsepower, but it's the exact pass I'd use on the SV650 to great success. Plus as long as the next corner is the same direction as the one you just came out of, it puts you on the inside in the next braking zone.

Incidentally, this is the lesson for me from Reg Pridmore's CLASS. Getting used to a midtrack entry, exit, or both, changes the way you look at a track forever.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://www.safermoto.com/air-bag-vests/race/track-vest/

So this is priced incredibly reasonably...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Safermoto guys are good folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

A combination of being in novice group and not knowing corner passes were ok until after lunch meant I didn't go for many passes that I could have easily made. First two sessions I went out before the group then pitted when I caught the pack that was doing lead-follow stuff. After lunch the groups got mixed and I didn't know corner passes were ok until one of the organizers went by me mid corner and motioned for me to follow him. I'm fairly decent at setting up passes from auto endurance racing but need to work on carrying more corner speed since I'm on track with bikes that can walk away on any straight if I screw up a corner at all. You're 100% right about one corner screwing a lap up, especially on this thing even entering a corner in the wrong gear destroys all momentum.

I've always been comfortable with farm house for some reason, probably since all I've ever ran there is supermoto. This is actually my second time on track with a sport bike so I'm still kind of getting used to the body position as well as how stupid fast everything happens on this bike.

I'll toss a mount on the front fairing so next time I can stick a camera out there and get some decent video.

Friend that races swears by these things, I've thought about it a few times.

• Locked thread