Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

sometimes i use two fingers for all of the buttons (double tapping) and sometimes i use specific fingers for specific buttons, depends on the characters and combos i'm doing really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Does Vega's roll not corpse hop anymore?

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

ReVerve posted:

If you want to develop muscle memory and input DP's in a way useful beyond SFIV and V, try the following. The first is a buffer using the z motion and the latter a buffer rolling from 6 to 2.

6, 2+B, 3+B or 6, 3+B, 2, 3+B

I would also suggest practicing the combo in chunks when you run into any problems. E.G. First normal into specail, then special into super, then normal into special and super etc...

This is from a page or two back but I want to quote it again because it's really legit advice. As for segmenting, well it's kind of the way to get through anything hard in anything really, not just fighting games. It's always the small problem sections that cause the biggest mistakes.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

A.o.D. posted:

Capcom will not do any balancing until after cpt

fortocero
Jul 23, 2007

I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.

Jmcrofts posted:

Who uses one finger for all the buttons? That's dumb. I use pointer, middle, and ring fingers for light, medium, and hard normals respectively. And sometimes I use my thumb for light kick.

I dunno I got it from this Gootecks video, maybe I misinterpreted what he was saying? He basically says not to use your thumb unless you're teching throws, and to use some weird "double-finger" to hit individual buttons, which I took to mean that you basically hit buttons with a single finger, and not spread your hand across it like a piano player and use different fingers per button.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXP0kc9Sry8&t=355s

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

"double finger" probably means double tapping
you hit a button twice, once with each finger, completely removing the first finger before the second hits. done right you get two inputs of that button really close together.

I can't remember if they can actually be on contigous frames this way or if there is a minimum possible gap of 1 frame between the two inputs.

anyway, it can be useful for some things.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

A.o.D. posted:

no vegas still a corpse.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Please stop following any advice gootecks gives in regards to learning or playing fighting games.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Please stop following any advice gootecks gives

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Please stop gootecks

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Why would that get you in trouble?

Oh... my bad. I thought I should be on the safe side.

Anyway, here's the mod: http://www54.zippyshare.com/v/UvtFJ6Hm/file.html
It makes medium and hard survival last 1 fight, easy is easy enough as is so I just left it. I'd recommend using this offline in case you get banned. I highly doubt that will happen but you never know I guess.

Install with this program: http://w11.zetaboards.com/SFxT_Mods/single/?p=8272560&t=1154112

Or you can follow the instructions in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biBqcHhPfts&t=13s

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

I think Alex's V-trigger is a pretty neat idea overall.

Would've been cool if everything else about this game would stop swirling around the toilet tho.

Re: Double tapping, whether you can get two consecutive frames of input depends on whether the game updates your inputs more often than it updates the rest of the game state, which would be a stupid thing to do, so it's entirely possible that SF5 does it.
If it updates inputs at the same rate as the game logic then there'd have to be a frame between the inputs or else it would just go "well you held the button down for 2f".

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Please stop following any advice gootecks gives in regards to learning or playing fighting games.

pretend i posted gootecks at ncr

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

do what is comfortable, re: using a stick.

then, later, once you are comfortable, do other things if they feel like they might help you somehow.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone happen to know frame advantage on blocked st.hk - VT with Necali?

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

did he even make it out of his pool at NCR?

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Gootecks couldn't even win a Canadian tournament a few weeks ago.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/o7cy.mp4
do the gootecks shimmy :D

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
That song is pretty dope though, what is it

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

InnercityGriot posted:

Gootecks couldn't even win a Canadian tournament a few weeks ago.

hey gently caress you :canada:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Jmcrofts posted:

Who uses one finger for all the buttons? That's dumb. I use pointer, middle, and ring fingers for light, medium, and hard normals respectively. And sometimes I use my thumb for light kick.

Seems like a lot of the asian pros use pointer + middle finger for most links (double tapping often) and use other fingers as an exception for buttons in neutral sometimes. Now that they aren't plinking everything. More of a floating hand, hunt and peck than touch-typist.

Like infiltration here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sijOkaXaao&t=195s

mago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXnuT3VB2Ew&t=3355s

momochi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXnuT3VB2Ew&t=4346s

Topanga tv always shows the players hands, so yeah. Anyways seems like there are people who are effective doing all types of things so I try and keep an open mind

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Zand posted:

[melty blood is bad/stupid because of] 2a

did they used to not be like this?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

AnonSpore posted:

I can confirm this

See, I knew it.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

darealkooky posted:

it wasnt hitboxes it was that like in practice everything started off of a million 2a's and they were lows. this was the common complaint and I think the common retort from melty players was that shield beats 2a mash

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga

A.o.D. posted:

You gotta dash first before you do it if I'm not mistaken.

#falldown

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

doesn't GG prorate damage off of 2p and 2k a ton for the same basic reason. getting lots of damage off of fast lows would get really obnoxious really fast?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

darealkooky posted:

wtf that's not red arc 2a

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

NecroMonster posted:

doesn't GG prorate damage off of 2p and 2k a ton for the same basic reason. getting lots of damage off of fast lows would get really obnoxious really fast?

nobody in gg has repeatable lows iirc but they do scale 2p for speed (they are usually mids tho) and 2k because they are lows

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

from the bit of melty blood i've seen so far combos never had more than 1/2 jabs which puts them on the level of sf4 combos. they also seem to scale damage pretty bad

whats way more annoying is heavy normal -> reverse beat into standing jab to recover way faster -> dash back in stuff but w/e

Fereydun posted:

wtf that's not red arc 2a

it is in f-moon

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Zand posted:

nobody in gg has repeatable lows iirc but they do scale 2p for speed (they are usually mids tho) and 2k because they are lows

Chipp and Millia can chain 2k into itself.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Zand posted:

it wasnt hitboxes it was that like in practice everything started off of a million 2a's and they were lows. this was the common complaint and I think the common retort from melty players was that shield beats 2a mash

Actually you can just masher bait with staggered strings

2aaaaa was too strong until mbaa though esp because America was trash garbage at the game too

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

america is trash garbage at all games friend

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zand posted:

Well, it kinda does. It's also not super hard to block 2as until they run their course but I understand why people would find it obnoxious - it's mashable whenever you predict an offensive reset too, although you can bait mashing with staggers.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

How can I make the Raaashidoooo song play during versus

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Chipp and Millia can chain 2k into itself.

how could i forget :gonk:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

darealkooky posted:

it is in f-moon

gently caress a fmoon!!

also ???
why even have the fuckin slash

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

red arc isn't allowed to have good normals

it's kind of interesting how the evil mode of a character is way more spacing/zoning based instead of being all about hella rushdown when it's usually the reverse

at least they still have the teleports and the annoying as hell air fireball pressure

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

How can I make the Raaashidoooo song play during versus

I'm not able to check myself right now, but in music/sound options there should be an option to play rival music during fights instead of stage music.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Who here is using mod manager? Whenever I try to install one it never shows up in the game

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Nodoze posted:

Who here is using mod manager? Whenever I try to install one it never shows up in the game

Have you set your install path in options? Did you click "read game archives" in the mod list? Are you using the latest version? The old version doesn't work with yesterday's update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

croutonZA posted:

Have you set your install path in options? Did you click "read game archives" in the mod list? Are you using the latest version? The old version doesn't work with yesterday's update.

Yes yes maybe?