Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Mass Effect 2 is a fan favorite for good reason. It ditched a lot of the crappy gameplay elements from the first game (mako exploration, low-detail side missions) and built well on the good parts (combat and writing), had some great characters (Jack and Elusive Man are great and Liara became a lot more interesting), great VA, had a decent and compelling overall story, and brought a lot of detail to the universe established in the first game. It was everything a deep-dive sequel should be.

The more I think about it, the more Mass Effect and Xenosaga seem like they had weird inverse paths after similar first entries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I enjoyed Xenosaga episode 1 less than the original .hack series. Ridiculous crotch bulge lowercase jesus and all. Couldn't say anything about 2 and 3, after 1 I kind of didn't want to bother with the rest of the series.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I played Xenosaga I&II DS through to completion, I am immortal.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

kirbysuperstar posted:

I played Xenosaga I&II DS through to completion, I am immortal.

If you have, could you explain what the hell was that thing?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

bloodychill posted:

Mass Effect 2 is a fan favorite for good reason. It ditched a lot of the crappy gameplay elements from the first game (mako exploration, low-detail side missions) and built well on the good parts (combat and writing), had some great characters (Jack and Elusive Man are great and Liara became a lot more interesting), great VA, had a decent and compelling overall story, and brought a lot of detail to the universe established in the first game. It was everything a deep-dive sequel should be.

The more I think about it, the more Mass Effect and Xenosaga seem like they had weird inverse paths after similar first entries.

People tend to say that BioWare does characters better than it does plots or whatever and seeing as ME2 has a positively massive squad of characters, with the only consistent "hohum" opinion being about Jacob, I think that theory has some weight to it. I loved Jack and TIM and Miranda and Thane and Garrus and Mordin and goddam nearly everyone with the exception of Samara.

Also don't forget the music!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wn3F_cmWCM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eILrZivDaVA

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mycot posted:

If you have, could you explain what the hell was that thing?

It's just a retelling of the first two games with some minor adjustments and KOS-MOS cat jokes.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ImpAtom posted:

It's just a retelling of the first two games with some minor adjustments and KOS-MOS cat jokes.

Yes. And also garbage and heavily truncated.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yes. And also garbage and heavily truncated.
yeah, he said the first two xenosaga games.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

bloodychill posted:

shut up

the "they're not wrong" or "they're right" meme is getting tired and old and if you want to actually have a discussion, make your points. if you're afraid of a probie because of the topic at hand, shut up.

But then how will you know someone's cool and ironically detached from all topics? I mean, writing more than ten words is lame, so that's out. What, then?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i just make shitposts because they make me laugh idk why people act like it's some sort of attempt to be super cool and detached

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

i just make shitposts because they make me laugh idk why people act like it's some sort of attempt to be super cool and detached

i didn't even know what the image was about

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

i didn't even know what the image was about
gently caress you for not taking the star ocean girl's panties seriously

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Carpe Fulgur in the fake news
https://twitter.com/GideonZhi/status/714974517475418114

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

gently caress you for not taking the star ocean girl's panties seriously

It's the issue of our times.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Look, if I can't touch girls faces and I can't look up their skirts then what exactly do you want from me?

Are games developers seriously expecting me to go out and meet a woman? In 3-D space? Are they mad?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

corn in the bible posted:

i think i finally understand unlimited saga

Keep in mind that understanding the game doesn't make it any easier

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Look, if I can't touch girls faces and I can't look up their skirts then what exactly do you want from me?

Are games developers seriously expecting me to go out and meet a woman? In 3-D space? Are they mad?

this, but unironically

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Rasamune posted:

Keep in mind that understanding the game doesn't make it any easier

or better. i'm on chapter 7 of tokyo ghost hunters though and that is a good game

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I finallly completed Grandia Xtreme over a decade after it was released. A tremendous amount of alcohol was involved. The final scenes made it all worth it.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Probably gonna be marathon streaming SO5 in the morning, so give me a preemptive follow at http://www.twitch.tv/fail_snail

They didn't delay it or anything did they? I guess I should go buy it and start the download now.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

dude789 posted:

I finallly completed Grandia Xtreme over a decade after it was released. A tremendous amount of alcohol was involved. The final scenes made it all worth it.

did you neutralize the elemental disorder my dude

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

HMS Boromir posted:

I do not remember that plot point. It must have been dropped before this dumb Quanlee plot took over. Regardless, Carmyne is still extremely good.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

HMS Boromir posted:

To be honest, I wish it had won. How is this ending so dumb? How is the voice acting worse than the first Grandia....

gently caress.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The first - I was gonna say half of the game but gently caress knows how long was left - is about going to dungeons to stop elemental hell weather. I don't blame you for not remembering it after the birth of our lord and savior Jesus Quanlee. It just stuck in my craw because the phrase "neutralize the elemental disorder" is spoken a good few dozen times by the characters to the point where it ends up having about the same gravitas as "pick up some milk at the grocery store".

I gave up around the time I realized the game had granted my wish for procedurally generated dungeons by making the most boring ones imaginable.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
There is an aftergame! Something about finding fragments of Quanlee's heart. I think I will do something else and make better use of my time.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
hundreds of hours of classic grandia gameplay

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is there some place I can buy Japanese PSN codes from that won't price gouge up the rear end like Play-asia or Japan-Codes?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

BabyRyoga posted:

Is there some place I can buy Japanese PSN codes from that won't price gouge up the rear end like Play-asia or Japan-Codes?

Amazon.jp now sells to non-Japanese accounts, I believe.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

bloodychill posted:

Amazon.jp now sells to non-Japanese accounts, I believe.

I'll havta browse through and see if they sell codes with digital delivery like the US Amazon does. Thanks for the heads up

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I asked in the PS store thread a while ago and the consensus was no they don't, you'd have to get the code shipped to you.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Yeah, looks like they only sell plus memberships. They also don't offer very any digital game sales, which is strange. There are tons of Nintendo Network things up there.

I think i'm just gonna order a physical copy from Play-Asia, as they actually AREN'T gouging on that. So stream in 3-8 days.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 30, 2016

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Am I just really bad at JRPG/crafting, or is there a serious lack of water in Atelier Rorona to gather early on? Seems like it'd be easy to find and not buy, because, you know, loving water and all.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Last Celebration posted:

Am I just really bad at JRPG/crafting, or is there a serious lack of water in Atelier Rorona to gather early on? Seems like it'd be easy to find and not buy, because, you know, loving water and all.
there's a free well in the street outside the atelier. just look around.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

if you go into the first area and grind on the enemies near the trees you'll get more water than you know what to do with

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Any suggestions on party setups for FFXII Zodiac? Do I need to pick an optimal setup to be able to do any of the harder hunts/sidequests? I see people recommending all sorts of optimal builds but they have characters as jobs that would bother me thematically so I wanna know if I can just choose what I like the sound of.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Verranicus posted:

Any suggestions on party setups for FFXII Zodiac? Do I need to pick an optimal setup to be able to do any of the harder hunts/sidequests? I see people recommending all sorts of optimal builds but they have characters as jobs that would bother me thematically so I wanna know if I can just choose what I like the sound of.

You can pick whatever and do just fine.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Verranicus posted:

Unless you care about beating the super secret hidden final boss thing go with whatever. And that was only an issue because of the damage cap I'm sure the Zodiac version of it is a joke.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Star Ocean 5 officially dated for June 28th for NA.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

drat, what's with all the games releasing in June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Motto posted:

drat, what's with all the games releasing in June.

I feel like this happens every year, tons of games slated to release in the summer months and then 90% of them get pushed way back and there's nothing to play in the summer again.