Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

sassassin posted:

I'm not american

kneeling needle crunches and vodka curls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Idk who I want to be more: the old guy using every machine in the gym, or the skinny guy doing 10 lbs curls with cosmic yoga pants on.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Homestar Runner posted:

sure, since you asked

My point isn't that the DB fly movement doesn't involve the chest, because it does. However, majority stress of the exercise is felt in the coracobrachialis muscle, which in itself has nothing to do with the development of your chest. I figure that's what the OP was anecdotally inferring.

And since you can't create tension at the top of the movement with dumbbells, you're better off using cables. You'll be able to stack more weight on, in a much safer way.

I'm v sorry if this argument offends you

DB flies are a tried n true exercise that have worked for most people, but if all you get out of them is a hypertrophied "coracobrachialis" (lol) yeah I'd suggest trying a different alternative. As far as the loss of tension at the top, believe it or not but you don't have to use full ROM to work a muscle. In fact, you may even experience better results by limiting your ROM to the portion of the exercise where the tension on your muscle is greatest!

if a particular exercise isn't working for you, find a better alternative. I thought this was common sense but maybe not

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
You can always just flex the poo poo out of your pecs at the top of a db fly if you're not feeling the burn. After all your brain is what ultimately controls how hard your meat works, not the dumbbell.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

notZaar posted:

It's called being lean.

How else will people know at a glance that I'm wealthy enough to never go hungry?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dum Cumpster posted:

How else will people know at a glance that I'm wealthy enough to never go hungry?

bling

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Profondo Rosso posted:

any tips for isolating pecs? even on flys I feel like my shoulders/arms are doing most of the work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yqPhWI5BRs

I like these.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!
Just loving bench 400lbs to work your chest this poo poo isn't that hard, bros

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Booties posted:

Idk who I want to be more: the old guy using every machine in the gym, or the skinny guy doing 10 lbs curls with cosmic yoga pants on.

Old guy using every machine in the gym while wearing cosmic yoga pants.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i smell like gunpowder

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Oh cool I had never seen these until yesterday some guy was doing em in the corner next to the water fountain

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Fallows posted:

Oh cool I had never seen these until yesterday some guy was doing em in the corner next to the water fountain

You can also do one-armed side raises with an empty (at least for me) Bar. Face sideways, keep your arm straight. Those things are crazy.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

i gotta try dis

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

SpeedyCow posted:

Just loving bench 400lbs to work your chest this poo poo isn't that hard, bros

Some of us have long arms bro

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

Some of us have long arms bro

So lift 300 and build up to 400 you can do it!!!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

My bench relative to my deadlift and squats is embarrassing.

Hell I can snatch more than my bench

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Well you're strong as hell so that's okay and you could build your bench up if you focused on it.

But not being able to bench at least 1.5x body weight and then wondering what chest exercises you can do to get a bigger one is dumb. Just build your bench up and then if your chest is still tiny then do isolation stuff but also get steroids.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

SpeedyCow posted:

Well you're strong as hell so that's okay and you could build your bench up if you focused on it.

But not being able to bench at least 1.5x body weight and then wondering what chest exercises you can do to get a bigger one is dumb. Just build your bench up and then if your chest is still tiny then do isolation stuff but also get steroids.

I'm not quite at 1.5 bw bench (although hopefully in a few more months) but this seems like a dumb approach. if I already have a bad habit of using my triceps/delts more in a bench focusing purely on the bench and ignoring isolation will only cause further imbalance. could be wrong here I admit

on a side note, thanks for the recommendations. gotta try em out next time

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
since i never have a spot I am just working my bench from my max weight of 5 reps up to 10. Is there a better way to increase my max without a spot?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
if you got one of those racks with a safety pin thing you could always do that

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Zzulu posted:

if you got one of those racks with a safety pin thing you could always do that

no dice. i miss my old gyms power rack. :(

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

lol if you do any exercise that arnold didnt do

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

FogHelmut posted:

lol if you do any exercise that arnold didnt do
THROW YOUR HELMET IN THE GARBAGE AND gently caress poo poo UP BRO!!!

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Profondo Rosso posted:

I'm not quite at 1.5 bw bench (although hopefully in a few more months) but this seems like a dumb approach. if I already have a bad habit of using my triceps/delts more in a bench focusing purely on the bench and ignoring isolation will only cause further imbalance. could be wrong here I admit

on a side note, thanks for the recommendations. gotta try em out next time

I don't see how doing a full ROM with heavier weight and proper form can build muscle imbalances, but I also admit I could be wrong

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

SpeedyCow posted:

I don't see how doing a full ROM with heavier weight and proper form can build muscle imbalances, but I also admit I could be wrong

Well, it's easier with a barbell to continue current imbalances because one arm can make up for the other to a certain extent since the weight is all connected. This is why it's important to work dumbbells too, because each arm has to lift the weight completely.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Chinatown posted:

since i never have a spot I am just working my bench from my max weight of 5 reps up to 10. Is there a better way to increase my max without a spot?

you dont have to lift maximally to get stronger

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Skim Milk posted:

you dont have to lift maximally to get stronger

but the more weight you have on the bar the cooler you look so....:confused:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Chinatown posted:

Whoa whoa whoa whoa buddy. We are gonna work out with moderation and restraint and our goals are going to average at best.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Homestar Runner posted:

that's because they are ---> http://athleanx.com/best-workout-program-videos/chest-fly-fallacy

dumbbells flys suck and they create zero tension at the top of the movement.

This dude isn't saying Flys don't work, he's saying that a lot of people get injured from them and there are less injurious ways to work that muscle. Which he would. Because he's a physical therapist and deals with them all the time. And that's all he deals with, are the injured.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Injuries are due to three possibilities:

1. You're not strong enough
2. You're not taking steroids
3. You're over 30

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

FogHelmut posted:

Injuries are due to three possibilities:

1. You're not strong enough
2. You're not taking steroids
3. You're over 30

Hat trick!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
You should be stretching.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

notZaar posted:

Hat trick!

Same :(

Hit 425x5 deadlift tonight :coolfish:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
last nights carne asada burrito has fully left my system leaving me filled with protein and feeling light and refreshed.

time to lift.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SpeedyCow posted:

Everybody has muscular imbalances, save for like a blessed 5%. Ex: most people will have peaked biceps or hanging triceps, p much nobody has both. So it's not unusual, but there's also pretty much no way to correct it. It's all based on innate stuff like limb lengths, muscle attachments, etc

Just try and do the best you can...a lean developed physique will look impressive, period.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I'm excited to see how this double Chicken w/black beans burrito will leave me feeling.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Everybody has muscular imbalances, save for like a blessed 5%. Ex: most people will have peaked biceps or hanging triceps, p much nobody has both. So it's not unusual, but there's also pretty much no way to correct it. It's all based on innate stuff like limb lengths, muscle attachments, etc

Just try and do the best you can...a lean developed physique will look impressive, period.

I agree with all that but you'd have to be pretty jacked to legit bench 400 - 500 lbs. genetics/insertions/limbs be damned. I've seen a couple people I've lifted with get swamped in the details of the perfect accessory work when really all they should worry about is adding 5 pounds to their heavy lifts consistently. Bros don't let Bros curl (until they've PR'd their squats)

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I'm excited to see how this double Chicken w/black beans burrito will leave me feeling.

Repeat after me: Carne. Asada. Pssh, Chicken.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Chinatown posted:

gently caress you, buddy. you'll lift those 5lbs pink dumbbells and you'll like it

effort post: most strong dudes say you should catch a ton of volume doing a bunch of sets @ an RPE of 7-8 instead of blowing out your butthole on one heavy set @ RPE 10. jim wendler/chad wesley smith always talk about leaving a rep or two in the tank and accumulating a ton of submaximal volume

if you gotta go crazy dont put the clips on the bar and dump the weights off to the side one at a time. it works.

source: my poo poo lifts

skimothy milkerson fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SpeedyCow posted:

I agree with all that but you'd have to be pretty jacked to legit bench 400 - 500 lbs. genetics/insertions/limbs be damned. I've seen a couple people I've lifted with get swamped in the details of the perfect accessory work when really all they should worry about is adding 5 pounds to their heavy lifts consistently. Bros don't let Bros curl (until they've PR'd their squats)

A) yeah I think we agree, jacked is jacked
B) A legit bench press of 3 plates is rare enough, very few people will ever bench 400lbs no matter how much juice they take

Benching 400/squatting 500 is elite unless you train at SuperTraining or Elite FTS

• Locked thread