Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

ProfessorBooty posted:

I just spoke with Kidneyman. He sounds like he's willing to stream on commander/ironman or legendary/ironman, but I'm not sure if/when we would start.

How about moving right on to a X-Com 2 LP after this one? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

sincx posted:

How about moving right on to a X-Com 2 LP after this one? :)

in six years

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
Yay Promotion. If I keep my 2:1 Kills per mission ratio I will be a happy soldier.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

ChaosDragon posted:

Yay Promotion. If I keep my 2:1 Kills per mission ratio I will be a happy soldier.

So what's the over/under on health lost on the base assault? I'm thinking Booty is gonna have to make a few do-or-die moves to kill some aliens and at least one of those isn't going to work out.

22.5?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Base Assault Hype.

Time to start chaining them to get those alien resources down?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Don't play X-Com 2, just stay with us Professor. You don't need updated graphics or new fun mechanics to work with! You need bullshit pod activations and poo poo like that!

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Affi posted:

Don't play X-Com 2, just stay with us Professor. You don't need updated graphics or new fun mechanics to work with! You need bullshit pod activations and poo poo like that!

Bullshit pod activations are still quite a thing in the new one if you're not careful. :v:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Base assault squad: we know Colonel Corazon is commanding. I bet TomViolence and megane are on the list. Fill it out with Dinictus, Zore (or Platoon?), Neko, and Spudd. And Classtoise. It's eight, right? Superstring instead of megane? I can't remember her build. You mentioned two snipers though so Dooky's in too, replacing... Classtoise. I don't know.

I'm stoked for this one!

SaffronKit posted:

Base Assualt hype! I am really looking forward to it. I only pray I get a chance to go on this first one.

You're too busy taking a nap :(

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

So, assuming a successful base assault, will professorbooty have enough resources to actually start getting new armor and weaponry?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Green Intern posted:

So, assuming a successful base assault, will professorbooty have enough resources to actually start getting new armor and weaponry?

He already has enough resources to get new armor. What he lacks is Cash and Meld. After the base assault i'm guessing he's aiming at getting a couple of mechs out there.

I'm predicting this is the squad he brings:

Corazon - Medic - Medkit/smoke
Kaboom - Gunner - LMG
TomViolence - Assault/Tank
Nekomimi - Sniper
Dooky - Sniper
Superstring - Engineer - Chem/Smoke
Classtoise - Rocketeer
Dinictus - Infantry - ??
Spudd - Scout
Zore - Gunner - close combat gunner?

(maybe megane over zore, but engineers on these missions .. I dunno..)

That is the TEN man squad that is assaulting the base. Unless you wait 20 hours and bring Saffron instead of Zore? But that means Eggsaile is free too? I dunno.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

One of the ten is going to be the alloy SHIV, isn't it?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

SaffronKit posted:

Base Assualt hype! I am really looking forward to it. I only pray I get a chance to go on this first one.

The base assault is never going to happen.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Paul.Power posted:

One of the ten is going to be the alloy SHIV, isn't it?

Alloy shivs are loving GODSENDS on Base Assaults, he's absolutely going to bring it. 22 HP and 2.5 DR? You'd be crazy not to bring one!

e: that's also why I find it extremely hard to justify ever wasting meld on MECs; an alloy shiv, while having less specific utility, also doesn't take an enormous amount of training to field while costing significantly less and having roughly similar stats. The top tier armor for MECs that has 2.5 DR also costs about 230 alloys, which is an absolutely insane number. You can get two alloy shivs for that and still come in under price. (this is of course not counting workshops, but that just skews it even more in favor of the SHIV).

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 29, 2016

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Grapplejack posted:

Alloy shivs are loving GODSENDS on Base Assaults, he's absolutely going to bring it. 22 HP and 2.5 DR? You'd be crazy not to bring one!

e: that's also why I find it extremely hard to justify ever wasting meld on MECs; an alloy shiv, while having less specific utility, also doesn't take an enormous amount of training to field while costing significantly less and having roughly similar stats. The top tier armor for MECs that has 2.5 DR also costs about 230 alloys, which is an absolutely insane number. You can get two alloy shivs for that and still come in under price. (this is of course not counting workshops, but that just skews it even more in favor of the SHIV).

haha look at this guy that has never had a goliath or jaeger.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
If I may request some fan art, please draw an XCOM trooper shooting trash at a floater, using a gun made of trash.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Wheany posted:

If I may request some fan art, please draw an XCOM trooper shooting trash at a floater, using a gun made of trash.
Bethesda has you covered.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Junk_Jet

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Considering how many customized dudes and dudettes in the LP roster, I wonder if there's a XCOM1 mod that replaces the people models in other parts of the base (like the workshops and labs) with soldiers from the roster, much like how the barracks have random roster dudes and dudettes scattered about.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Affi posted:

haha look at this guy that has never had a goliath or jaeger.

or Pathfinder. But still MECs in LW only really come into their own once you get tier 2/3 suits and that takes a crapton of resources because LW.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

or Pathfinder. But still MECs in LW only really come into their own once you get tier 2/3 suits and that takes a crapton of resources because LW.

Especially since you're essentially forced to compare it to something that is cheaper, easier to use, and completely expendable. That last bit is what puts it over the line, especially with the material costs.

I guess it's up to taste though! I never bothered with MECs once I saw the costs of getting them up to speed, and it's especially difficult to deal with the fact that you can only really turn someone into a mec once they're master sergeant, due to the skill loss and the fact that you kinda need those skills for them to be any good.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

Especially since you're essentially forced to compare it to something that is cheaper, easier to use, and completely expendable. That last bit is what puts it over the line, especially with the material costs.

I guess it's up to taste though! I never bothered with MECs once I saw the costs of getting them up to speed, and it's especially difficult to deal with the fact that you can only really turn someone into a mec once they're master sergeant, due to the skill loss and the fact that you kinda need those skills for them to be any good.

Well, you can grind enough resources in LW to buy yourself all those tier 3 suits and upgrade enough people into MEC suits to be able to make the Temple Ship a (relative) cakewalk, but I'm not sure Booty wants to still be LPing this in 2018 :v:

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Youtube LInk

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011
Man and how many of these base assaults your going to have to do before the end jeeez but...

so far so sniping :black101:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

reach heaven through violence

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
You don't have to clear all the bases, but the Asia bonus is pretty solid, plus it hurts alien resources/research.

solid work so far

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Take back the entire planet.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Can't see why you'd bring Megane on the mission? I'm sure you have a plan for her but i've allways found grenades to have too short range to be effective in these fights..

But really solid work so far, the beginning sucks!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

D'aw, I didn't get to go. Oh well, considering the first room of the map I think I understand why Booty decided not to wait for me. I am looking forward to Friday.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

SaffronKit posted:

D'aw, I didn't get to go. Oh well, considering the first room of the map I think I understand why Booty decided not to wait for me. I am looking forward to Friday.

I would probably hold onto you for the base defense, to be totally honest.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Grapplejack posted:

I would probably hold onto you for the base defense, to be totally honest.

That is a pretty fair point actually. Won't the aliens be unable to mount a base defense right away though because of their resource hit if Booty wins the base assault?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

SaffronKit posted:

That is a pretty fair point actually. Won't the aliens be unable to mount a base defense right away though because of their resource hit if Booty wins the base assault?

I think the aliens make their plans at the beginning of the month, so they could very well have already scheduled the base assault. Even then, they still have a lot of resources from their other three bases, and the assault is increasing the XCOM "threat level" which makes base defense more likely.

I assume the reason nobody is being exhausted is just in case the ayys throw us a surprise NYE party.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
The SHIV was conspicuously absent from the intro cut scene.

If the SHIV can't use ropes, how does it get down?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I am so sorry for this...

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.

sincx posted:

"Hey, Legoman, do some calculations to tell me how much rope to use." "Beep boop." *boot off the ledge, R2D2 squeal* "Hey, you got down!"

I at least was loving that Death Alley and my build coming to its' culmination. I feel like a flak cannon.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

sincx posted:

Schrodinger's SHIV.

It exists simultaneously in the barracks and the mission map.

But never in between.

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

A faction armed to the teeth hardly seems friendly to me.

MVP goes to SHIV! So far...

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

let the shiv live

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

I enjoyed your cold, methodical brutality and am in quite a bit of suspense.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
The assault bromance of Legoman727 and TomViolence needs to continue. I kinda wish the mod developers had added Packmaster as one of the assault abilities and added a new ability that would make it possible for an assault to use a support grenade for free every few turns (Breach and Clear? :shrug:).

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Yeah that's pretty much how I expected that update to go and what I expected it to be, the first room of base assaults is such a goddamn slog, lord help you if you for some reason didn't bring at least one sniper or anyone with Squadsight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Vicissitude posted:

I am so sorry for this...

No you aren't

• Locked thread