Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Spiros posted:

Do you guys have any tips for getting randos in soloqueue ranked to pick comps as a unit rather than just pidgeonholing into a champ regardless of its impact on the team comp?

It's a tricky thing to do. I try to be pretty level-headed, but the fastest way people can get me to tilt is by bitching about my choice in champ select; it's mildly understandable when I'm last pick support and the jungler says "Hey, we need a tank", but I've had people complain that I'm picking Sona instead of a tank support when I'm first pick as well, and at that point you can just loving deal with it.

You would probably have better luck presenting a role that's needed, as opposed to specific champs? I know that I personally respond better to something like "Hey, do you have any champs with a hard engage? That way, we can get some synergy with the ADC and we'll have a really strong teamfight" than "Support, pick braum or blitz. WTF are you doing?".

Presenting the role as opposed to telling them a champ allows them to say "Well, here are the champs that I can play who might fit that role", and it gives them an opportunity to choose somebody they want who still helps round out the pick, and it means you're not being a controlling rear end in a top hat.

And at a certain point, especially in soloqueue, people are just gonna pick who they're gonna pick. Even if my team doesn't have a tank, I can pretty much guarantee you that I'll be more productive on the team as Sona than I would be as Braum, simply because I play so much more Sona and I'm way more familiar with how I can be useful with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Methanar posted:

When I post is it really like reading Naga's posts?

I'm so sorry.

well i like your posts boss. you have my seal of approval

Bholder posted:

Also you guys act like getting S rank is loving impossible or something, just win games and you or your teammate gets one.

i get s ranks all of the time. as long as you play things in such a way that you have an idea of what you are doing you just randomly get s ranks all of the time

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Methanar posted:

I'm so sorry.

Nah, because despite your unfortunate facial hair situation, you are kind of good at this game and offer some insight to get better.

Naga just goes on and on and doesn't say anything of value and decides to type a lot of words about poo poo that doesn't matter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Crusher posted:

Hey also, why isn't Sion jungle played more often? Champ GG rarely ever has data for it. If I wanna play a tanky and heavy CC jungle, that's usually my fave pick.

His gank is pretty weak. Unless you're way overextended he's pretty trivial to walk away from or avoid.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Methanar posted:

I'm so sorry.

No

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Spiros posted:

Do you guys have any tips for getting randos in soloqueue ranked to pick comps as a unit rather than just pidgeonholing into a champ regardless of its impact on the team comp?

Just let people play what they want. It's more important to play around the enemy team's picks than anything. Whenever someone asks me what support I want as an ADC, I just tell them play whatever they're comfortable on.

Like don't pick MF or Vel'koz if the enemy has Malph/Wu/Voli, you're gonna have a bad time, but the only champs that need a team built around them are like, kog and yasuo. Even then yas can function fine on his own so it doesn't even really matter. I'd rather have someone playing a Morgana they're comfortable with than an Alistar to appease a 12 year old yas main, especially down here in bronze/silver.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tyty posted:

Just let people play what they want. It's more important to play around the enemy team's picks than anything. Whenever someone asks me what support I want as an ADC, I just tell them play whatever they're comfortable on.

Like don't pick MF or Vel'koz if the enemy has Malph/Wu/Voli, you're gonna have a bad time, but the only champs that need a team built around them are like, kog and yasuo. Even then yas can function fine on his own so it doesn't even really matter. I'd rather have someone playing a Morgana they're comfortable with than an Alistar to appease a 12 year old yas main, especially down here in bronze/silver.

Yeah, I have a friend who feels like he's obligated to pick the 'counter-pick' and it always goes bad for him no matter how much I tell him not to. He's actually a fantastic Morgana but he doesn't want to play Morgana because people keep telling him she's bad so he plays champions he isn't comfortable with because they're on-meta.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Well, it ain't a problem for me, but chests sell for money and I can understand why someone who pays money for a chest wouldn't want to get something literally worthless out of it. You shouldn't be buying chests for money but hey.

You can always just try not to flush your money down the toilet.

Unless you desperately want Hextech Annie or something

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Bholder posted:

Why do people care about free poo poo that much?

Like oh no, I have everything unlocked and the chest don't have any value to me? gently caress you rito, give me more free poo poo I paid money for!

I think it's just the frustration of the amount of "work" that goes into opening these things up vs the entirely useless reward, especially given that things you actually want can come out of these things. Sure you could burn three shards and pick up the next champ for free but if you have all the champions unlocked I can more or less guarantee you have a surplus of IP anyway.

Would you prefer if literally nothing came out of the chest? Because for these people it's equivalent, and getting nothing for free as a "reward" sucks :shrug:

Poulpe fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 30, 2016

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I have a friend who feels like he's obligated to pick the 'counter-pick' and it always goes bad for him no matter how much I tell him not to. He's actually a fantastic Morgana but he doesn't want to play Morgana because people keep telling him she's bad so he plays champions he isn't comfortable with because they're on-meta.

I want to know each and every person who says Morgana is bad so that I may fight them with my fists

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I want to know each and every person who says Morgana is bad so that I may fight them with my fists

not empty quoting

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
Did I miss something with chests? I thought as long as somebody on your team, doesn't matter if you're grouped with them or not, got an S you could get a chest (and be tapped out for whatever champion they get it on). Or do you need to get the S yourself or be in a premade with someone who does to get one?

If it's the latter that kinda blows because a)I play solo 99.9% of the time and b)suck.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Libertine posted:

It's longing to make me know what Methanar is doing today in Canada.

dirty mugs and big elo boosts

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

Did I miss something with chests? I thought as long as somebody on your team, doesn't matter if you're grouped with them or not, got an S you could get a chest (and be tapped out for whatever champion they get it on). Or do you need to get the S yourself or be in a premade with someone who does to get one?

If it's the latter that kinda blows because a)I play solo 99.9% of the time and b)suck.

It's the latter.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

ImpAtom posted:

His gank is pretty weak. Unless you're way overextended he's pretty trivial to walk away from or avoid.

Totally worth for how fun it is to toss Q's around and yell things at people. I'll never forget the time I ult > Q'd 3 people into an instantaneous triple kill from Ezreal ult. One of those dreamy combos that sticks with you forever.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
My opinion on hex tech crafting as a long time player:

Cool, free stuff

Not my opinion:

Riot I'm quite upset at you for giving me 3-4 skins a year on the house as opposed to 0

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

NTT posted:

My opinion on hex tech crafting as a long time player:

Cool, free stuff

Not my opinion:

Riot I'm quite upset at you for giving me 3-4 skins a year on the house as opposed to 0

how dare you

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I don't think anyone's mad except the person with 20 posts per page

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I love this thread so much holy poo poo. I posted something once and loads of people thought I was being dumb and I got really self-conscious about it and shut up but in reality I should have obnoxiously kept arguing because I now see that that's actually really entertaining

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.
Just had an udyr in my game who was in his plat promos for the 7th time this season. We had a silver 2 and 3 in the game as well and I'm assuming they were grouped since I'm gold V atm and typically get matched against and with people slightly above me. They weren't the problem, though, it was me and my habit of not pressuring enough with a lead.

I started 3/0/1 as ahri which isn't great because I typically play pretty passively and even though the pressure was now on me to carry, I was content to farm and do nothing. I didnt realize that was going to cost us until udyr kept trying to invade and getting tf ulted. Before I knew it, an advantage was turned into an even game, and an even game became a snowball against us.

Let my failure be a lesson to you all. Don't play like a baby back bitch, especially when you are sitting on a lead.

KicksYouInHalf fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 31, 2016

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
should I be rushing RoA on TF?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
No

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
see I didn't think so either at first but http://na.op.gg/champion/TwistedFate/MID http://champion.gg/champion/TwistedFate

:saddowns:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Did you guys have a 2 page argument about free stuff? Jesus, you're all dumb.

Also, apparently AP on hit warwick is s rank potential.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

KicksYouInHalf posted:

Just had an udyr in my game who was in his plat promos for the 7th time this season. We had a silver 2 and 3 in the game as well and I'm assuming they were grouped since I'm gold V atm and typically get matched against and with people slightly above me. They weren't the problem, though, it was me and my habit of not pressuring enough with a lead.

I started 3/0/1 as ahri which isn't great because I typically play pretty passively and even though the pressure was now on me to carry, I was content to farm and do nothing. I didnt realize that was going to cost us until udyr kept trying to invade and getting tf ulted. Before I knew it, an advantage was turned into an even game, and an even game became a snowball against us.

Let my failure be a lesson to you all. Don't play like a baby back bitch, especially when you are sitting on a lead.

Oh man I had a game that went exactly like this with my rageaholic friend.

I'll see if I can find the replay for people to laugh at my incompetence.

Nope no replay; what's with replay.gg at the moment? It's not saving replays half the time. I've play 5 games over the last 2 days but it's last replay was one from 3 days ago.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
ROA first gives you a weaker laning phase but more margin for error on those ults since you have more bulk to chew through on your defense side.

I like Lichbane / Lucidity first to get more CDR for more ults and more early hitting power.

If you are up against a rough lane I don't think there's anything wrong with Athene's first or even Zhonya's first.

Zhonya's is TF's real signature item IMO and delaying it to beyond 2nd/3rd item really gives you much more narrow windows for play making.

I've watched a lot of competitive this year and I've seen guys in pro games do all of these things. Take it from the guy with the TF avatar, TF is a really really fun champion with a lot of quality item synergy and you should definitely adapt game to game to deal with the kind of threats you are going to recklessly hurl yourself into every time your ult is off cool down.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Kashuno posted:

should I be rushing RoA on TF?

Yes

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Libertine posted:

ROA first gives you a weaker laning phase but more margin for error on those ults since you have more bulk to chew through on your defense side.

I like Lichbane / Lucidity first to get more CDR for more ults and more early hitting power.

If you are up against a rough lane I don't think there's anything wrong with Athene's first or even Zhonya's first.

Zhonya's is TF's real signature item IMO and delaying it to beyond 2nd/3rd item really gives you much more narrow windows for play making.

I've watched a lot of competitive this year and I've seen guys in pro games do all of these things. Take it from the guy with the TF avatar, TF is a really really fun champion with a lot of quality item synergy and you should definitely adapt game to game to deal with the kind of threats you are going to recklessly hurl yourself into every time your ult is off cool down.

Do you ever consider swifties over lucidity? I've been watching the LCK all season and I've seen a bunch of FQC too.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Is Tham Kench just bad now?

I got 8k IP to spend and I was looking at picking up either Tham for Top/Support, Kindred for a new jungle experience or Bard because he looks mad fun to play.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Tahm is way better as a jumgler though

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Tahm got nerfed way, way too hard. They nerfed his ult from 4/6/8% bonus HP to damage to 2/4/6%. Cutting in half the damage a champion gains from hitting 6 is pretty much always going to dumpster them. He also got a bunch of nerfs that made it very hard for him to use his passive well in lane, and also people just learned how to play against him.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I play low levels and I usually do my best when I play Tahm. I got an S- the other day with him too!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Gridlocked posted:

Is Tham Kench just bad now?

I got 8k IP to spend and I was looking at picking up either Tham for Top/Support, Kindred for a new jungle experience or Bard because he looks mad fun to play.

Bardo is definitely the best support in the game, it owns zooming around the map making bell sounds and owning chumps, the best is when you get an adc who can farm safely and roam all over getting kills and making bills

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
If anyone wants to play I'll be on tonight in aboot 10 min or so
I would really like to play with someone who could coach me or give advice during a game, i have skype and momble and I am Very peaceful these days

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I'd say Bard is the most fun of the three and coincidentally the only one that is undoubtedly among the top 3 in his role (though Kindred admittedly isn't that far off in that regard)

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Parallel Playa posted:

I'd say Bard is the most fun of the three and coincidentally the only one that is undoubtedly among the top 3 in his role (though Kindred admittedly isn't that far off in that regard)

Neat. Can anyone give advice on how to build him because champion.gg has him at a 46% win rate; but I understand that's mostly because he has a 10% play-rate and people who don't know how to play him/pick him on the right teams are losing games at champ select.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I feel like bird can be on any team? He's just really hard to play well because his kit is like a billion percent finicky utility

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I forget he has an E literally all of the time except when I need to escape then I use it and die

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Someone was asking about monster kill order in camps and the answer is smalls first at chickens and golems, bigs first everywhere else. This is because of how damage is distributed among minions in the camps relative to their HP. The caveat here is that if you smite the camp it is always better to kill the big thing you smited first.

This only matters if you're a right clicker clear champ; the Udyrs and Amumus and Hecarims of the world just aoe clear poo poo so it's irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Kashuno posted:

Do you ever consider swifties over lucidity? I've been watching the LCK all season and I've seen a bunch of FQC too.

I don't think FQC is as good anymore but it's not terrible. I like the CDR from Lucidity more than Swiftness but you can make an argument for Swiftness on literally anyone this season so it's up to you really.

• Locked thread