Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Britgoons! Lidl have just this week gotten stock of artificial grass mats that are about 1m x 2m, so 2 mats are perfect for a 4x6 table. Total cost: a tenner (£5 per roll). I went and got 2 today, and may get another tomorrow to cut up for Blood Bowl or something. The surface isn't like static grass or felt, it's more like a tightly woven artificial wool with medium and dark green fibers. I'm planning to airbrush on some dark and light brown areas for dirt patches just for variation, and when I eventually do woodland type scatter terrain I want to match the green just so there's a bit of coherency to the table. Should be great for 40K, Saga and historicals if I ever get around to actually playing those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MrSlam posted:

Do Grots make Ork clothes? They have to make them en masse, it's hard to imagine that a single ork goes up to a single grot and says, "Oi, you make me a pair o squig-levver boots, a shirt, britches, an sum suspendaz wif da bukkles on em..." Maybe a ThredBoy makes all the clothes. He has instinctual knowledge of how sewing and tailoring works.

GW provides each set of Ork clothing personally and magially, because in all honesty Orks proper probably wouldn't give a drat about most clothing since they can survive most atmospheres.

They do however have the grots make those cute booties they all wear.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Naramyth posted:

CSM is in pretty rough shape. The best things in the book are characters to carry relics, heldrakes, Typhus with zombies/oblits/havoks (kind of). The characters need delivery and the best delivery is honestly demonkin dawgs. My roommate plays demonkin dawg rush with 2 lords as his base and does very well with it. The Black Mace Nurgle demonprince is still a thing if you can support him and a L3 sorcerer with the Last Memory is a cheeky 18" nova that can be on a bike or in termi armor to mess things up. It's hard to say, but the best way to play CSM is to play Demonkin and ally in the bits of CSM that aren't terrible.

Demon dawgs seem pretty cool but how on earth are you supposed to actually mount a chaos lord on a hellcharger? Do you just glue him on top surfing? :lol: Do they make a forge world model or something I don't know about or do people just declare that he's riding one when he's not actually? (WYSIWYG) I have heard that Chaos Lords on bikes or chargers is tons of fun.

Black Mace demonprince sounds absurd so yeah maybe I'll work that in, demonprinces are cool in my book.

I like a lot of demons so I guess I'll splash heavy on them instead of buying a ton of CSM.

MrSlam posted:

Do Grots make Ork clothes? They have to make them en masse, it's hard to imagine that a single ork goes up to a single grot and says, "Oi, you make me a pair o squig-levver boots, a shirt, britches, an sum suspendaz wif da bukkles on em..." Maybe a ThredBoy makes all the clothes. He has instinctual knowledge of how sewing and tailoring works.

There's probably some Nob or Boss who'se got grot slaves cranking out clothes to support his teef empire.

evilmiera posted:

GW provides each set of Ork clothing personally and magially, because in all honesty Orks proper probably wouldn't give a drat about most clothing since they can survive most atmospheres.

They do however have the grots make those cute booties they all wear.

I could see some FlashGitz decking themselves out in sick duds, although then again they'd probably be too busy upgrading their guns.

Still I'd rather not have all orks go naked, thanks.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 30, 2016

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

They have squigs in the shape of pants and shirts that snotlings harvest. Pretty obvious if you think about it.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Zaphod42 posted:

Demon dawgs seem pretty cool but how on earth are you supposed to actually mount a chaos lord on a hellcharger? Do you just glue him on top surfing? :lol: Do they make a forge world model or something I don't know about or do people just declare that he's riding one when he's not actually? (WYSIWYG) I have heard that Chaos Lords on bikes or chargers is tons of fun.

Black Mace demonprince sounds absurd so yeah maybe I'll work that in, demonprinces are cool in my book.

dude, brah

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Khorne-Bloodbound-Lord-on-Juggernaut

Or some biker/cav legs on:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Daemons-Of-Khorne-Bloodcrushers

Basically the fantasy range helps a ton.

Also use these dawgs instead of the official khone hounds because they are cheaper and plastic.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Chaos-Warhounds

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I know daemons are WFB/W40k hybrids which is cool, but that's why I was worried about the chaos lord mount.

Hm, I guess a WFB chaos lord works, although he's got a shield and no gunz. I'm not too confident about my greenstuff skills. Seriously sick sclupt though, guess I could grab that and just tell whoever I play that he's got a gun or whatever and :dealwithit:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I know daemons are WFB/W40k hybrids which is cool, but that's why I was worried about the chaos lord mount.

Hm, I guess a WFB chaos lord works, although he's got a shield and no gunz. I'm not too confident about my greenstuff skills. Seriously sick sclupt though, guess I could grab that and just tell whoever I play that he's got a gun or whatever and :dealwithit:

You could probably use some of the bajillion arms you get with troop CSMs and fit them on the fantasy Juggerlord. Or just glue a Bolter/Bolt pistol/whatever in his shield hand. (CSM/Daemonkin lords can't take combat/storm shields because spiky marines must always and forever be inferior to vanilla marines).

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

A lot depends on how much terrain and cover you have on the board. Open battlefields, you're going to have a bad time as CSM - we don't have the delivery options. I don't run them myself, but on paper Chosen are OK if you kit them out with special weapons and stick 'em in a rhino or something. Bezerkers aren't amazing, but it's satisfying when they get into Close Combat against Guard. They're not that customisable though.

Never use Havocs, always go for Obliterators with Mark of Nurgle. They're more survivable, can move and shoot heavy weapons, have 2 wounds, power fists if people do charge them, T5 with MoN so not being doubled out easily. The GW models are horrible (but the Havocs aren't much better), but Wargame Exclusive sell some very nice ones.

Maulerfiends are gorgeous models and look fun, but if you get an immobilised result, you've got 120 points of nothing. They tend to be bullet magnets. Also they're not as good against Monstrous Creatures as they are vehicles, and there's some very weird things that count as MC these days (e.g. Grey Knight Dreadknight - really?). I keep on giving mine another chance to prove its worth. Helbrutes aren't great. They pop fairly easily, and the Crazed table can be annoying. Fluffy as hell though. There's a formation which gives you fearless Cultists and you can use them as human shields for the Helbrute to give it a 3+ cover save.

Things you're probably going to want to take:
A Lord on a Bike. Preferably Mark of Nurgle. With the Black Mace. Stick him with a bunch of Spawn (ideally 5) to soak up wounds. Great horde killer.
Slaaneshi Sorcerer - It's the best of the God disciplines. Again, great at dealing with hordes. Nurgle to a lesser extent. Tzeentch is just lol, they didn't even fix the problems with it in the updated Daemon rules in Warzone Fenris.
Cultists. They're cheap and if you find someway to make them fearless (Dark Apostle / Helcult formation), make a good tarpit. Given enough cultists and enough turns, they'll kill nearly anything or tie them up.
Noise marines - ignores cover can be good against Eldar. Ugly as sin models though, you probably want to proxy.
Raptors - lovely models, fairly decent assault troops.

Things you might want to take
Land raider - it's useful having one around because occasionally you will need to ensure something gets somewhere.
Daemon Prince - bullet magnet so you're probably going to want to give him Daemonology to summon screens. Still learning how to use one myself. Not great model wise, you can get third party ones which are nicer.
Terminators - People say they're terrible, but you've got to work with the army you have, and there's not a huge range of alternatives.

Things you almost certainly do not want to take:
Possessed. Too fragile, and the only way to get into close combat is to whack them in a Land Raider. They're not great at killing MEQ. The Crimson Slaughter supplement makes them even worse - they go down to only having a 1/3 chance of rolling something beneficial in Close Combat, but improves their survivability. Gorgeous models though.
Havocs - Obliterators are better.

People rave about the Crimson Slaughter supplement,
Pros:
You can get one Sorcerer to also be a Daemon so he can then use Daemonology and only peril on double 6 instead of doubles.
You can also get the Sorcerer to gain access to Divination which has an amazing primaris of re-rolling to wounds/to hits (too lazy to check which, but it's great).
Cons:
You lose access to the Black Mace.
Their possessed are troop choices, but their altered rules are hot garbage.
It's not very fluffy doing a multi-God army with them. Especially Tzeentch. Or even the more corrupted stuff like Obliterators.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
If you're looking for a model for your Chaos Lord, there's these models:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Varanguard-Knights-of-Ruin

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Gorechosen-Champions

I don't think you even need to Green stuff anything with them. These guys are so manly, they out do the Wolfen and run around half naked and without Power Armour. People like to wail on AoS, but they do good sculpts still for a lot of the Chaosy stuff. Buttbrute aside.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Technowolf posted:

You could probably use some of the bajillion arms you get with troop CSMs and fit them on the fantasy Juggerlord. Or just glue a Bolter/Bolt pistol/whatever in his shield hand.

Yeah, just not sure how good a glued gun would look, and again not confident in my greenstuff skills. I guess I could maybe hack a gun in half and glue it on either side of his fist or something and it'd probably do okay...

Technowolf posted:

(CSM/Daemonkin lords can't take combat/storm shields because spiky marines must always and forever be inferior to vanilla marines).

Tell me about it :negative: or else yeah, I'd just give him a storm shield. Ah well. Chaos doesn't give a gently caress!

Thanks a lot! Helps me sort through which of the things are less-bad and totally-bad so I can make some sense of this.

Sounds like I should grab some Raptors and Termies and be happy with those, and then maybe get some Oblits for support even though I think they're fugly. Then either a Prince or a Land Raider as centerpiece. I'm pretty comfortable with that.

I'd rather have a Khorne Lord than a Nurgle Lord because of fluff, but I'm also coming around to just calling this a chaos undivided army at this point and doing whatever.

I should grab the Crimson Slaughter codex and see how that changes things I guess. Going CS and Tzeentch may not make much sense fluff-wise, but if I'm another renegade space marine faction using CS rules that worships Tzeentch I think that kinda works fluff-wise.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 30, 2016

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I kind of like the AoS Khorne stuff, I've seen scale comparisons and while they're big compared to SM, they're not THAT much bigger. I've wondered what a standard Chaos backpack or one of the FW resin backpacks from older marks of power armor would look like on Gorechosen / Blood Warriors / Wrathmongers. For that matter, I wanna see how a Wrathmonger would look with chainaxes or plasma pistols instead of the silly flails.

Here's some badass John Blanche Berserkers because~

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
From what I have seen, Maulerfiends are best fielded as vehicle killers in at least a pair, since they will be attracting fire. A pair of them will force your enemy to take some of the heat off of other units, and two gives you more of a chance that they will get into combat. Blood Slaughters of Khorne from FW are also really nice if you want to get choppy.

Really, it all comes down to what you want to do. Chaos seems to be very much a "play it only if your opponent isn't a tryhard" army right now. I am personally playing it because I like the fluff and I am definitely going to be fielding the Helcult since it I am already fielding a bunch of cultists, and an excuse to field a Helbrute is even better. (Plus it will split more fire from my maulerfiends) That being said, I tend to play more fluffy lists for fun, rather than to win. I mean, I still want to win, but my goal is to have fun regardless.

My tactic for list building is figure out what you want as your core. What you really like. Then add onto that core with threats to your opponent that will draw fire away from that core, as a lot of Chaos stuff suffers if it is by itself. Hence why I am bringing two Maulerfiends.

As for Thousand Sons, I have played them against my friend over Vassel a few times, and they are decent, but a bit expensive. Also, I really hate the Tzeentch powers. They are just so underwhelming.

In other news, the final piece of my cultists arrived. A poo poo ton of Victoria Miniatures poo poo. I even got a few loose extra bits that I didn't order thrown into the bags, though something tells me that is just a "well, you did close to eighty on all of this, have a torso or two" thank you bonus. The stuff is top notch. If I ever decide to do actual guard, I will probably go that route, though with how many Cultists I am making, I will probably just go Lost and the Damned since I already have IA 13.

Edit: Well gently caress. Now more poo poo just got added to my list of poo poo that I want to buy for my chaos army since I now know of the existance of those Varanguard. Does anyone know how poseable they are? I didn't have much interest in Bikers since I didn't think I could make them fit my theme, but demonic calvalry? Yes please.

Edit 2: Fuuuuck, my wallet hurts. $100 for 3 horsemen? Well, $70 on ebay at least, but that hurts a bit. Still, a small bike squad would still work.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 30, 2016

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Zaphod42 posted:

Sounds like I should grab some Raptors and Termies and be happy with those, and then maybe get some Oblits for support even though I think they're fugly. Then either a Prince or a Land Raider as centerpiece. I'm pretty comfortable with that.

I'd rather have a Khorne Lord than a Nurgle Lord because of fluff, but I'm also coming around to just calling this a chaos undivided army at this point and doing whatever.

I should grab the Crimson Slaughter codex and see how that changes things I guess. Going CS and Tzeentch may not make much sense fluff-wise, but if I'm another renegade space marine faction using CS rules that worships Tzeentch I think that kinda works fluff-wise.

Oblit alternatives, I have some, as do others in the thread, they're nice.
http://wargameexclusive.com/shop/chaos/chaos-obliterated-space-warrior-mutant-i/
http://wargameexclusive.com/shop/chaos/chaos-obliterated-space-warrior-mutant-ii/
http://wargameexclusive.com/shop/chaos/chaos-obliterated-space-warrior-mutant-iii/
http://wargameexclusive.com/shop/chaos/chaos-obliterated-possessed-terminator-master-sergeant/

DO NOT GET THE NORMAL OBLITERATOR MODELS. They're finecast, and the all the guns are individual glue ons - they were forever falling off as I tried to glue them to stay on, especially the blades. Also finecast model definition is generally worse than plastic, and sometimes worse than metal. Also you can't strip them as easily. If you can avoid finecast, do so. The Plague Marine models are also terrible.

You should probably aim for a Chaos undivided army if you're running normal CSM. You'll be too hamstrung otherwise. You'll sometimes need certain elite units as troop choices, in which case you'll want to choose a Lord with the appropriate mark.

Yeah, you can always forge your own narrative with a renegade faction, it's what I've done - my fluff is that the remnants of two renegade Chapters have joined forces in order to escape from a particularly tenacious Inquisitor, and one side is falling to Khorne, the other to Nurgle, with the Nurgle dudes having been caught in more warp storms than the other, hence them having access to more screwed up stuff like Defilers since their techpriest went off the rails a bit.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Yeah, Undivided is where it is at unless you are running a specific faction like T.Sons or Death Guard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

jadebullet posted:

Edit 2: Fuuuuck, my wallet hurts. $100 for 3 horsemen? Well, $70 on ebay at least, but that hurts a bit. Still, a small bike squad would still work.

Yeah that's GW for ya :retrogames:

jadebullet posted:

Yeah, Undivided is where it is at unless you are running a specific faction like T.Sons or Death Guard.

I'm calling myself Oracles of Change which is like the red knockoff version of T.Sons, but I'm willing to open it up to just doing whatever.

I also think non-Tzeentch CSMs are cool to so whatever.

Milotic posted:

Oblit alternatives, I have some, as do others in the thread, they're nice.
http://wargameexclusive.com/shop/chaos/chaos-obliterated-space-warrior-mutant-i/
http://wargameexclusive.com/shop/chaos/chaos-obliterated-space-warrior-mutant-ii/
http://wargameexclusive.com/shop/chaos/chaos-obliterated-space-warrior-mutant-iii/
http://wargameexclusive.com/shop/chaos/chaos-obliterated-possessed-terminator-master-sergeant/

DO NOT GET THE NORMAL OBLITERATOR MODELS. They're finecast, and the all the guns are individual glue ons - they were forever falling off as I tried to glue them to stay on, especially the blades. Also finecast model definition is generally worse than plastic, and sometimes worse than metal. Also you can't strip them as easily. If you can avoid finecast, do so. The Plague Marine models are also terrible.

You should probably aim for a Chaos undivided army if you're running normal CSM. You'll be too hamstrung otherwise. You'll sometimes need certain elite units as troop choices, in which case you'll want to choose a Lord with the appropriate mark.

Yeah, you can always forge your own narrative with a renegade faction, it's what I've done - my fluff is that the remnants of two renegade Chapters have joined forces in order to escape from a particularly tenacious Inquisitor, and one side is falling to Khorne, the other to Nurgle, with the Nurgle dudes having been caught in more warp storms than the other, hence them having access to more screwed up stuff like Defilers since their techpriest went off the rails a bit.

I mean, yeah, its definitely going to be chaos undivided as far as the army comp goes, the only question is if I would try to fluff that as tzeentch and look the other way on having a couple khorne guys or not. The more I include of other gods the less I feel like I can get away with that, but fluff doesn't matter that much (yes it does).

There aren't any actual rules for undivided or tzeentch armies are there? Different formations or bonuses or something? I didn't see anything like that.

I remember in an old version you actually had rules for rolling your own space marine chapter and you could take whatever oaths you wanted to kinda flavor it your way, although most everybody picked the same few bonuses I think. Still, that was cool.

Crimson Slaughter and Khorne Daemonkin having their own Codexes feels weird but I guess that's just GW trying to apply the Blood Angels / Dark Angels codex spinoffs to CSM so they can sell more books or something.

E: Those Oblits :swoon: Soooo much better. I get what GW was going for with the whole warped Doom flesh, but it just looks ugly.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 31, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

drat that site has some cool figures

http://wargameexclusive.com/shop/chaos/death-corps-of-krieg-zombie-mutants/

oh shiiiiiiiit

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Milotic posted:

Daemon Prince - bullet magnet so you're probably going to want to give him Daemonology to summon screens. Still learning how to use one myself. Not great model wise, you can get third party ones which are nicer.

Okay, this is something I didn't think of. I was planning on running a DP from time to time since I made one that I like, but I didn't even think of running any demon summoning with it, but I really like that idea. What God would work best for demon summoning?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

jadebullet posted:

Okay, this is something I didn't think of. I was planning on running a DP from time to time since I made one that I like, but I didn't even think of running any demon summoning with it, but I really like that idea. What God would work best for demon summoning?

I'm thinking possibly no god, because then you can only take a single mastery level and put it in demonology (and get the primaris summoning free in addition to another spell)
If you pick a god, you have to take one spell of that god, which means having to go to level 2 and spend that on demonology, and then having to spend that on just the primaris alone so you can do summoning.
I think Slaneesh has the best bonuses? In which case you'd wanna go mastery level 2 or 3 on the psyker, or otherwise you could do a vanilla one with only psyker level 1 and put it in demonology.

Whoops, just checked the codex and you have to take a god. Haha.

In that case I don't think it really matters, just pick whichever has the best bonus otherwise. The perils of the warp all say no saves allowed to the Tzeentch bonus doesn't help with spellcasting or anything.

E: Not Khorne becuase they can't :cheeky: Otherwise I don't see any bonus that really matters. I guess slaanesh wouldn't help as much because you'd move at the speed of the demons if you join their unit. Or do you just use them for cover and leave them and summon more after you move? Haha

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 31, 2016

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Alternatively you can go with Mark of Nurgle and just glide forward Jinking the whole time for a 2+ cover save with almost no downside. Isn't great against Tau or other armies with Ignore Cover shooting, but it's a solid pick for most.

Also Nurgle is the best. :zombie:

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I made a lot of those lords, and also some custom bikers:

I did not see anyone mention Skull Crushers, which is like the bloodcrusher kit and the lord kit mashed together for you. I had two bloodcrusher kits left so I did the lord standing on top, but these new ones are way better:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Khorne-Bloodbound-Mighty-Skullcrushers

All you need is marine arms/shoulder pads with a backpack.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I dunno, I am kinda on the fence with the whole Nurgle thing. I like the benefits, but I feel like the whole disease/rot thing is a bit overdone in the hobby. Mainly the rot. I mean, disease would be cool, like gaunt faces and the like. Real horrifying disease poo poo. But the whole bloated corpse thing is kinda meh.

I am running Plague marines in my army, but I am doing something different with them and focusing on the death aspect of them. I have always loved poo poo like heavily armored skeletons, or that space skeleton thing from Scooby Doo, so I am taking regular CSM models and cutting holes in the armor and putting skeleton bits showing underneith. Then I am going to add greenstuff wisps to look like spirit seeping out. Essentially skeletal ghost marines.

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

Hi 40K goons!

Just wanted to drop in because my significant other told me this thread is full of very sad wallets (sorry to hear it :( ).

This was shortly after he started telling me, "Don't look at my shame!" when I peeked at his screen earlier and he was in this thread.

Anyway, enjoy your space barbies. Try not to make your wallets too sad.

Bye!

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
My girl offered to help my display board get finished, time to pop the question...

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 31, 2016

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

schnickety scribe posted:

Hi 40K goons!

Just wanted to drop in because my significant other told me this thread is full of very sad wallets (sorry to hear it :( ).

This was shortly after he started telling me, "Don't look at my shame!" when I peeked at his screen earlier and he was in this thread.

Anyway, enjoy your space barbies. Try not to make your wallets too sad.

Bye!

Sigh. Oh well, at least she knows where my money disappears to and why she has to buy all of the juice.

Uroboros posted:

My girl offered to help my display board finished, time to pop the question...

Yup, that's a winner right there. Mine wants me to make her an Ork army, but accepts the Ork philosophy too much and thus will destroy my wallet with very insane conversions. Also, I need to learn how to model a pterasquirrel, as she is in love with the idea of oddboys with pterasquirrels.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 31, 2016

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
I used to think this was an expensive hobby, then my coworkers started talking about their guns they buy for fun and it quickly became a "moderate income" hobby. I think I've probably spent somewhere in the area of $5,000, but over the course of 16 years. ~$315 bucks a year isn't all the bad compared to other things. Hell its cheaper than my old movie habits in my bachelor days.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

PierreTheMime posted:

I used to think this was an expensive hobby, then my coworkers started talking about their guns they buy for fun and it quickly became a "moderate income" hobby. I think I've probably spent somewhere in the area of $5,000, but over the course of 16 years. ~$315 bucks a year isn't all the bad compared to other things. Hell its cheaper than my old movie habits in my bachelor days.

Yeah I put over $1400 into my ar-15, building and duracoting it myself, including parts and tax stamps. That's just one firearm amongst many sitting in my safes. If I wanna take a few out and do some decent shooting with a fiend or two, ammo and clays can be anywhere from $20-75 each outing. Mini war games don't really cost poo poo by comparison.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

That's true, gotta keep it in perspective. I had a co-worker drop $2000+ on an AR on a whim when that Obama gun scare thing was happening a few years back.

I actually have a good amount of money now and can totally afford to go hog wild on stupid hobbies like 40k (yay) but I used to be really really dirt poor and I dunno, I feel bad just spending all this money on "just plastic". But hey look at my space barbies! :dance:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I own a vintage Arisaka rifle. I have put a poo poo ton of money into restoring it, and it is an obscure caliber, so I am looking at $1.50 a bullet to fire it, so yeah I can definitely understand that.

Okay, so I have been building a poo poo ton of poo poo that arrived and I am starting to run into a sea of grey situation. Just so I don't feel overwhelmed, what do you guys suggest for keeping myself from looking at this sea and thinking that it is an overload of blank plastic?

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 31, 2016

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

jadebullet posted:

Okay, so I have been building a poo poo ton of poo poo that arrived and I am starting to run into a sea of grey situation. Just so I don't feel overwhelmed, what do you guys suggest for keeping myself from looking at this sea and thinking that it is an overload of blank plastic?
I stash any models I'm not currently working on in some way (building, painting, etc.) in my shameful nerd closet. It's silly, but the simple optics of only seeing one set of models to complete helps. Out of sight, out of mind.

It rarely works out in practice. :v:

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
You know, during the zenith of Zombie hype (2008?-2014?) I'm surprised there was never a full-blown Zombie Plague army. Like, more than just a Typhus troop choice.

edit: If I'm wrong, please be gentle

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Wasn't there some sort of Nurgle zombie army in Imperial Armour 13? I know it had Plague Zombies as a Troops choice (unless that's what you're talking about when you say Typhus troop choice) and I'm pretty sure it has some formation along those lines.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Gotta chime in and say I love that blue and white Juggernaut Lord. Blue and white Khorne is the best Khorne.

The Sigmar Khorne guys have some incredible bits, and mix really well with Marine bits to make Chaos Marines. Definitely advise any Khorne or other Chaos player to do some googling and check out the conversions floating around the internet.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

Safety Factor posted:

I stash any models I'm not currently working on in some way (building, painting, etc.) in my shameful nerd closet. It's silly, but the simple optics of only seeing one set of models to complete helps. Out of sight, out of mind.

It rarely works out in practice. :v:

I do this too, and also stash away completed figures so I don't get too complacent. Once paint touches one figure, the army is never visible all in one place at once until it's done. I may also be insane, so make of it what you will.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

jadebullet posted:

I own a vintage Arisaka rifle. I have put a poo poo ton of money into restoring it, and it is an obscure caliber, so I am looking at $1.50 a bullet to fire it, so yeah I can definitely understand that.

I bought an all matching serial numbers Arisaka type 99 for dirt at a gun show last year, my summer project is gonna be reloading my own ammo for it and getting to the point where I grin a lot at the range after firing, so totes PM me if you wanna talk Japanese pew pew later.

ALSO

I too am swamped with resin and plastic, and my best advice to you is to put that poo poo out of sight of your painting/modelling area. Even if just in a cardboard box. Priming 10,000 points worth of poo poo is just demoralizing. Concentrate on one unit at a time, and start with the poo poo you think is really cool first, as you will enjoy painting those the most. Maybe reward your completion of a troops choice with a special character or monstrous creature that you can lavish detail upon in between. I bought a squad of assault marines from a coworker 5 years ago that I finished this month, as I always saw them as a chore that I had to do, and never bothered. I have multiple armies and have been sitting on expensive forgeworld kits for years because I try to do too much at once. Just focus on what drives you, the rest will fall into place.

One day at a time, man.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

PantsOptional posted:

Wasn't there some sort of Nurgle zombie army in Imperial Armour 13? I know it had Plague Zombies as a Troops choice (unless that's what you're talking about when you say Typhus troop choice) and I'm pretty sure it has some formation along those lines.

It uses Necrosius - a named Nurgle Sorcerer from Siege of Vraks. I don't think its in IA13 but I would have to go double check.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
3 hour drive to Adepticon, running on 1 hour sleep and coffee. Tremble mortals.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Zaphod42 posted:

Could I get some dos and don'ts for putting together a CSM army? I mean like I said before I'm not the most competitive gamer and I probably won't ever even play in tournaments, but I'd like to show up to 40k night at my FLGS and not get completely wrecked every time. I'd also rather know now so I don't buy a bunch of cool looking figures that I slowly decide are worthless and just sit there, although I kinda like collecting and painting as much as playing, so some units that I don't actually field isn't the end of the world.

The Dark Vengeance + Expansion group has an overlooked formation that isn't too bad--the Chosen tax sucks, but you can make the Terminators work OK. The formation is called Kranon's Helguard and I've used it before to some effect--its primary function is giving enemy units -1 BS if they are within 12" of 2+ units from the formation, so taking rhinos for your mans and using those + The Raptors to harass enemies and lower BS can be pretty effective.

Most of the stuff I'd tell you about CSMs has already been said, but I'll add a few things:

- Havocs are generally outclassed by Obliterators, but they do have one advantage, which is that the 4-autocannon Havoc group has longer range and is your best source of AA fire outside of a Heldrake, Fire Raptor, or allied Soul Grinder.

- Outside of the Heldrake, the Forgeworld stuff in IA13 is the best group of units (not just vehicles) that Chaos has access to. If you want to use a dreadnought, the IA13 version is the flavor to use.

- Thousand Sons are expensive, but strong against marines, where having AP3 bolters is a massive advantage. They're OK against Necrons, Eldar, AdMech, and Tau and the bolters are meaningless against Guard/Orks/Tyranids. Your biggest challenge will be that you have no heavy weapons and short (24") range with your fire, so you won't be able to deal with vehicles and shooty armies will outclass the gently caress out of you. Also, bcause 1k sons can't charge, Relentless is mostly wasted on them. Also, the Tzeentch powers mostly suck. What I'd recommend/plan to do with my Thousand Sons is ally them with daemons, so you can use them as mid-range fire support and additional warp charge generators for a heavy-Tzeentch daemon army that has the ability to summon fairly easily.

- Most of the close combat units you've mentioned are really bad. It's 75% because close combat is bad in this edition compared to shooting, and 25% because those units haven't caught up to other good assault units in 7th (or even 6th) edition. Warp Talons don't have assault grenades, and so will typically go last when assaulting a unit (since most units will stay behind cover). Blind is worthless against most armies, and their ability to deep strike is both risky and nearly impossible to use well because they can't assault afterward and don't have any guns, so they will have to sit around for at least a turn after entering. Berserkers have a lot of S5 attacks on the charge but no access to AP3 weapons or anything that can let them take on heavy targets. My nightmare is having my Daemonkin berserkers get assaulted by a Dreadnought. They can't really hurt it because it's AV12 and they can't run because they're fearless, so they just sit there getting pulped by powerfist attacks until they die. Possessed are just overpriced and Mutilators are garbage. Berserkers are *slightly* better in Daemonkin (and probably decent if you want to put them in that Kharybdis formation), but not by much.

The reason Raptors are good is because they're fairly cheap and you can outfit them with a pair of meltaguns or plasmaguns, making them top-knotch tank hunters in a pinch.

-

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

TheChirurgeon posted:

My nightmare is having my Daemonkin berserkers get assaulted by a Dreadnought. They can't really hurt it because it's AV12 and they can't run because they're fearless, so they just sit there getting pulped by powerfist attacks until they die.

Krak grenades are S6 against vehicles and MCs, so they can still put up a bit of a fight by default (they're still dead). I don't have the codex but provided the Character can be equipped with meltabombs that's always a solid 5pt investment for this reason (and breaking tanks, buildings, etc).

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Potential BFF posted:

I kind of like the AoS Khorne stuff, I've seen scale comparisons and while they're big compared to SM, they're not THAT much bigger. I've wondered what a standard Chaos backpack or one of the FW resin backpacks from older marks of power armor would look like on Gorechosen / Blood Warriors / Wrathmongers. For that matter, I wanna see how a Wrathmonger would look with chainaxes or plasma pistols instead of the silly flails.

Could look better, could look worse. There really isn't much space on the models for a backpack with their big ol' shoulders.

Zaphod42 posted:

Demon dawgs seem pretty cool but how on earth are you supposed to actually mount a chaos lord on a hellcharger? Do you just glue him on top surfing?

Legs and torso from the fantasy jugger knight, and both the stock arms and power armor arms work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

PierreTheMime posted:

Krak grenades are S6 against vehicles and MCs, so they can still put up a bit of a fight by default (they're still dead). I don't have the codex but provided the Character can be equipped with meltabombs that's always a solid 5pt investment for this reason (and breaking tanks, buildings, etc).

Yeah I knew all that, but Krak grenades aren't going to get the job done since you can only toss one per phase per unit. The character sometimes has melta bombs, which can help, but sometimes you run into situations where the dreadnought is also a character, like Murderfang, in which case if the champion doesn't stick his one meltabomb, he gets pulped first and everyone else is hosed.

• Locked thread