Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

teagone posted:

Daigo gonna counter Infiltrations Nash with Gief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk6O_LBWjYo

lol why did he upload that ken clip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.
I think this is the best Street Fighter in a very long time(just talking about the core game, not the netcode/missing content/etc). That doesn't say a whole lot about where it stands in the context of other fighting games. For me this is a decent tide-over until they add Jam back in to GG, and beyond that an amusing distraction/side game just like 3rd strike was back in the GG #Reload days.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Baal posted:

It's a lot of things, the game received pretty middling reviews, word of mouth spread it was bare bones as gently caress the single player being part of that, and it's also very possible the general public does not care as much about SF as it did in 2009.

Yup, along with the fact that sf4 was like a major fighting game in the barren wastes of console fighters besides like soul calibur 4 and a few others around that time. (i forget where TVC falls)

Sf5 is post like ggxx revision, and almost 2 GGXrd revisions, like several BB revisions, multiple mortal kombats, soul calibur, virtua fighter, DOA,2 marvel 3's (this ones unfair lol), skull girls, sf x tk, 2 tekkens, anime doujin games, a popular smash game, project m, persona fighting games, uniel, killer instinct, free to play fighters, mobile fighting games.

Sf5 can't just be king on being a capcom fighter anymore outside the FGC.

To top it off its an exclusive, console wise.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 31, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

SectumSempra posted:

sf and fighters sell bad because they're stupidly niche and not meant to hit big numbers.

Sf will never sell like COD, even COD doesn't sell like COD anymore so I don't know whats going on anymore.

It's because when you lose in a fighting game you only have yourself to blame whereas in cod, csgo, dota, etc., the dunning-kruger effect runs rampant among its playerbase since you can just blame everyone else on your team if you lose.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
There was also a decade long gap between 3rd Strike and vanilla SF4. USF4 came out in 2014.

3rd Strike wasn't the last SF in years because pros hated SF3 at first, it's because they over saturated the market with 5 versions of SF2, 3 versions of SF3, 3 Alpha games and 3 EX games. And that's not even counting Marvel, CvS and (lol) Capcom Fighting Jam

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Okita posted:

I think this is the best Street Fighter in a very long time(just talking about the core game, not the netcode/missing content/etc). That doesn't say a whole lot about where it stands in the context of other fighting games. For me this is a decent tide-over until they add Jam back in to GG, and beyond that an amusing distraction/side game just like 3rd strike was back in the GG #Reload days.

The general public liked sf4 so much more than FGC players that calling it a bad game is just the same narrative that doesn't see outside of people playing the same game for 10 years, and at that point the sales numbers they wanted can't be reached, and the game is a success.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

teagone posted:

It's because when you lose in a fighting game you only have yourself to blame whereas in cod, csgo, dota, etc., the dunning-kruger effect runs rampant among its playerbase since you can just blame everyone else on your team if you lose.

True but then why did Mortal Kombat sell like hot cakes? Fun rear end fatalities and fun rear end story mode. I don't think many even bother with multiplayer for the reason you listed.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean MK also sold like crazy because MK9 was the first return to form Mortal Kombat has had in eons. It helps that Netherrealm knew what the gently caress they were doing wrt options for people who weren't touching multiplayer and gave you a game full of stuff for 60 bucks. poo poo on their combat structure as much as you want, they know how to make a loving game for all demographics.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

That costume is the best thing to happen to this thread loving lol

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Buckwheat Sings posted:

True but then why did Mortal Kombat sell like hot cakes? Fun rear end fatalities and fun rear end story mode. I don't think many even bother with multiplayer for the reason you listed.

Mortal Kombat (later ones, anyway) also tend to come with a lot of minigames; I know Apocalypse(?) came with a Mario Kart variant and MKX has the graveyard or w/e, not to mention every major holiday has a challenge tower. I don't like MK on a personal level, but they love adding single-player content to their games and it's paid off for them.

EDIT: What Baal said.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Darealkooky answer my call, who do you even play in this game for what you played of it.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I think the game will sell decently eventually if they fix the issues and the pro tour keeps chugging along. I think the game has a lot of potential but who knows how it'll actually end up. I'm just glad that I have overwatch to look forward to, Blizzard seems to be among the most professional devs out there. And looking what they've done with the game and how they've communicated with players makes capcom look even more dogshit than it already does. Surely this game has japanese fans that are experiencing the same problems?

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
Alex mirror parry-lariat spam is hilarious

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Dracula Factory posted:

I think the game will sell decently eventually if they fix the issues and the pro tour keeps chugging along. I think the game has a lot of potential but who knows how it'll actually end up. I'm just glad that I have overwatch to look forward to, Blizzard seems to be among the most professional devs out there. And looking what they've done with the game and how they've communicated with players makes capcom look even more dogshit than it already does. Surely this game has japanese fans that are experiencing the same problems?

That's a funny comparison considering both games' respective developers have removed butts after people raised concerns about them. :v:

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
the fgc wanted butt idk what you're smoking

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

General Morden posted:

Technically both games have butts for people to enjoy at their leisure, but that's another argument.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Baal posted:

Darealkooky answer my call, who do you even play in this game for what you played of it.

nash because my actual sf guys ken/akuma aren't in this game and the idea of a more rushdown guile sounded cool

it's only fair that if I show you mine that you show me yours, also explain why you ask ty

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Alex's head seems way too small

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

General Morden posted:

Every game can be improved by including Khushnood Butt.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

S.J. posted:

Alex's head seems way too small

I wonder what Tom's putting in his post-workout shake. :ohdear:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Why do I suddenly become good at this game when I've been drinking

Street Fighter is an enabler.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

bhsman posted:

That's a funny comparison considering both games' respective developers have removed butts after people raised concerns about them. :v:

What butts got the axe in Overwatch?

Unless you meant MK, cause X X'd the butts as well, but honestly I thought that was good on their part because it made some of the ladies look pretty cool instead.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Tracer had a dumb pose removed and people are mad

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Yardbomb posted:

Unless you meant MK, cause X X'd the butts as well, but honestly I thought that was good on their part because it made some of the ladies look pretty cool instead.

Just google "Overwatch Chaser" and you'll see some articles about it, but tl;dr a female character that isn't sexualized/portrayed as a femme fatale type was given an optional pose that seemed to be suffering from Women on Movie Posters syndrome; a player wrote a long post about why they thought it was inappropriate and, combined with some internal unease about the pose from among the developers (apparently), they removed it. Nerds got real mad, as expected.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Imagine how dumb everyone was being about the R Mika camera shot at the start of her super being slightly moved so that her butt was out of shot when she slapped it. Now, imagine an even tinier change happened, but now had about twice as much outrage being generated about the removal. That's the overwatch thing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Good lord that sounds ridiculous.

But as long as Mei stays adorable they can do whatever to the rest.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

darealkooky posted:

nash because my actual sf guys ken/akuma aren't in this game and the idea of a more rushdown guile sounded cool

it's only fair that if I show you mine that you show me yours, also explain why you ask ty

Lol I'm a Nash guy too

I ask because I think we're familiar enough that I can ask you?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like to think that you and I can be frenemies

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
we need to compete outside of fourm posts for that one m8, why have we never played xrd after you added me

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Idk I asked you for Bururaji vids one time and you didn't give them to me

If you want to play Xrd though you can fight my rear end Sol later, I'll hit u up

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I am deeply surprised that no one has taken that ken drawing as an avatar yet.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Incidentally, Chris Hu and Aquasilk are trying to guess what "SJW" stands for on the NLCB stream and they can't figure it out

Right now their best guess is "strong Jamaican woman"

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
robocop stands for the citizens of detroit

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

If you don't mash rematch after every game you're a pussy. Luckily it seems that most people are aware of this. Also Alex is really fun and really weird, he's like a defensive grappler maybe?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

inthesto posted:

Incidentally, Chris Hu and Aquasilk are trying to guess what "SJW" stands for on the NLCB stream and they can't figure it out

Right now their best guess is "strong Jamaican woman"

What a beautiful word filter.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Dracula Factory posted:

Blizzard is nothing compared to cacpom when it comes to removing asses.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

What a beautiful word filter.

Ahaha, I was trying to figure out how the gently caress they didn't know what robocop was and why they thought it was a jamaican chick.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

NecroMonster posted:

What would be good text for it? Does it need text?

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 31, 2016

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

NecroMonster posted:

I've thought about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Well, one positive thing about SFV, for anyone that still cares about Street Fighter as a whole, I guess now we can see a true grapple match between Zangief and Alex. There's got to be at least one person in the world that's excited about that.