Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
saw that there were a bunch of midday posts and i knew exactly what was being discussed.

in local news, the Veil finally has a grand opening date of April 16; i'm wondering how many out-of-towners are planning on showing up in order to be the first on their block to get the tick (even though one of their beers already has an untappd rating...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

based on Anime

/Insert joke about vagina beer with octopus adjunct.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

funkybottoms posted:

saw that there were a bunch of midday posts and i knew exactly what was being discussed.

in local news, the Veil finally has a grand opening date of April 16; i'm wondering how many out-of-towners are planning on showing up in order to be the first on their block to get the tick (even though one of their beers already has an untappd rating...)

I'm looking forward to hearing good things! I need more stars on my Richmond map even though I never go there.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

funkybottoms posted:

I read something the other day which asserted that by the end of 2016 Scott's Addition will house one brewery, cidery, meadery, distillery, etc. for every apartment building. Truly we live in the decadent western hegemon.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

danbanana posted:

/Insert joke about vagina beer with octopus adjunct.

Japanese Oyster Stout

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

*pulls out a blond-haired model and/or celebrity from the shelf and examines it closely* ah yes, a vintage 1972 b-lister, this will do nicely

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Eejit posted:

I'm visiting San Diego this weekend. Last time I was there I visited Acoustic, Belching Beaver, Hess, Societe, Council, Helm's, Quantum, Ballast Point, Intergalactic, 2kids, Ritual, Double Mountain, Stone, and Modern Times. Tentatively have AleSmith, South Park, Fall, Half Door, and Toolbox on the list. Are any of those bad and am I missing any good ones I haven't visited yet?

The Bruery and Alpine are the only two I can think of.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

ChickenArise posted:

I'm looking forward to hearing good things! I need more stars on my Richmond map even though I never go there.

Quorum posted:

I read something the other day which asserted that by the end of 2016 Scott's Addition will house one brewery, cidery, meadery, distillery, etc. for every apartment building. Truly we live in the decadent western hegemon.

the Richmond entry for the beergoon wiki is gonna be pretty lengthy, as anyone who's asked me about visiting RVA can attest. so, yeah, in Scott's Addition we will have Buskey and Blue Bee making cider, Black Heath with mead, Reservoir distilling whiskey, and Ardent, Isley, Three Notch'd, Vasen, and Veil (although i'll be impressed if both Vasen and Three Notch'd are open this year)

i'd been kicking myself for not buying more Devil's Backbone Adventure packs since i like the Surly collaboration so much (and my lady will drink most of the rest), so i snagged the last one at Total Wine yesterday despite being sketched out by the condition of the box... and i was right to be! someone swapped out the two bottles of Risen with two of something else, so i'm gonna take it back tomorrow. weak.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I got some beers at Total Wine recently that were "best by" 12/07/2015. I didn't notice until I got home and they were awful. Total Wine :argh:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Now that I'm at home, I just want to express how loving astounding this Gspirits website is. Thank you, Leafhouse. I owe you a beer.

quote:

Loose yourself in a world full of autumn gold, matured in former Sherry casks, and feel the warmth of Alexa (Playmate Of The Year 2012), whose breasts it´s poured over. Its unbelievably versatile flavours range from roasted almonds, dried fruit, and toffee, to honey, vanilla, baked apples and cinnamon. Its finish is harmonic, well balanced, spicy, and long-lasting.

A singlemalt which is unrivalled in its class, just as its representative Alexa.

We guarantee that every single drop was poured over the breasts of Alexa. This is confirmed by the bottling certificate, including the original signature of the model and the bottle number.

SOMEONE HAD TO WRITE THAT.

And it makes me wonder whether Brewdog or Rogue will steal this idea.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I'm going through Aaron Franklin's barbecue show that was on PBS and he's always wearing beer shirts, then oh hey... a chunk of one episode has a ton of footage at Jester King starting from 17:50 on.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Eejit posted:

I'm visiting San Diego this weekend. Last time I was there I visited Acoustic, Belching Beaver, Hess, Societe, Council, Helm's, Quantum, Ballast Point, Intergalactic, 2kids, Ritual, Double Mountain, Stone, and Modern Times. Tentatively have AleSmith, South Park, Fall, Half Door, and Toolbox on the list. Are any of those bad and am I missing any good ones I haven't visited yet?

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

only one I can think of is Rip Current

Skip Half Door, the food is better than the beer and the food isn't really amazing or anything. If you are going to be downtown go over to The Local, on 4th just north of Broadway, where inside the bar is a new brewery, Resident Brewing. The guy who made that R&R Coconut IPA with Stone opened his own shop and the reports are all positive so far. Apparently the coconut IPA actually tastes like the homebrew version he won with in the first place.

In addition to those two and Rip Current (for food and beer), venture east a bit and try Burning Beard and Helix Brewing, or hit up one of the Pizza Ports. Ask for the beer crust, too. If you go to either Burning Beard or Helix, get a California burrito from el Azteca, eat it at a brewery, and let it change your life.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

air- posted:

I'm going through Aaron Franklin's barbecue show that was on PBS and he's always wearing beer shirts, then oh hey... a chunk of one episode has a ton of footage at Jester King starting from 17:50 on.

Oh neat. I caught a couple episodes of this but didn't make it that far. I even have a bottle of Figlet sitting here, I picked it up on a whim because it's turding up the shelf at my local bottle shop.

Jester King really is scenic. I went several years ago with some friends, and honestly wasn't that in to sour beer at the time, so it wasn't a mindblowing experience (the pizza at Stanley's is great, though). I went back earlier this month when I was in town for work. Didn't get any RU55, but got some Audio Palette for me and a friend, and a Simple Means for the lady, and managed to nab a pretty great picture.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

air- posted:

i thought you had posted about that before, but i must have seen that somewhere else. i actually ended up watching a few episodes because of that and did catch that particular one. next time you (or anyone else) is in town, we'll get you some ZZQ brisket.

update on my Misadventure Pack- i posted about it on a local beer-centric facebook group since there's pretty much no way the culprit isn't in there and a DBB sales rep is gonna try to get me some Risen if they still have any at the brewery. the irony of that is that tonight i am going to drink beers at the home of the guy who had her job until a couple months ago!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

wattershed posted:

Skip Half Door, the food is better than the beer and the food isn't really amazing or anything. If you are going to be downtown go over to The Local, on 4th just north of Broadway, where inside the bar is a new brewery, Resident Brewing. The guy who made that R&R Coconut IPA with Stone opened his own shop and the reports are all positive so far. Apparently the coconut IPA actually tastes like the homebrew version he won with in the first place.

In addition to those two and Rip Current (for food and beer), venture east a bit and try Burning Beard and Helix Brewing, or hit up one of the Pizza Ports. Ask for the beer crust, too. If you go to either Burning Beard or Helix, get a California burrito from el Azteca, eat it at a brewery, and let it change your life.

Many thanks, SD goons. Will keep all of that in mind.

Also I forgot that I did do Pizza Port last time as well. It was the first place we went and I ate basically an entire pizza by myself.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

nullfunction posted:

got some Audio Palette for me

I found some on a shelf here last weekend! Liked that it was dry and bitter. Clean just like most of the good Stillwater saisons.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

wattershed posted:

If you go to either Burning Beard or Helix, get a California burrito from el Azteca, eat it at a brewery, and let it change your life.

Thanks, I know what I am doing this weekend.

Eejit posted:

Many thanks, SD goons. Will keep all of that in mind.

Also I forgot that I did do Pizza Port last time as well. It was the first place we went and I ate basically an entire pizza by myself.

I would pass on toolbox, if you are going that far out of San Diego you would be better off going to Lost Abbey, Churchill's Pub, or Mother Earth.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Lt_Tofu posted:

Thanks, I know what I am doing this weekend.

I would pass on toolbox, if you are going that far out of San Diego you would be better off going to Lost Abbey, Churchill's Pub, or Mother Earth.

Yes, do this. Churchill's is the perfect place to recharge after Rip Current and Lost Abbey. Actually Churchill's is just the perfect place. Go there.

Also, Lattitude 33 is like a quarter mile from the new Alesmith facility and well worth visiting for the chill tasting room (in the middle of the brewery) and very good berliners. Decent porters too, but the tart stuff is their best work.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

a worthy uhh posted:

Zam sent me a Highland Park Lazy Susan and oh my god.

I praised HPB when I was there on my CA trip, and I continue to be shocked by the lack of hype for them, when they're honestly putting out beer in the same league as HF, SARA, etc etc.

They're starting to blow up locally, as a non-trader I'm OK with them not getting SARA hype outside of the area but I'm dreading the day that they become that sought after.

That being said I get early access to their beer so I'm good I guess

Eejit posted:

Toolbox is gross and makes gross beer that I'm convinced people just try to hype up because there are no sours in San Diego that trade well. Also go to Pizza Port.

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

The Bruery and Alpine are the only two I can think of.

Bruery is about 2 hours north of SD and Alpine is 45 minutes east. Alpine is worth going to say you did I guess but I haven't had much desire to go back since I went last summer.

ChickenArise posted:

I got some beers at Total Wine recently that were "best by" 12/07/2015. I didn't notice until I got home and they were awful. Total Wine :argh:

You know, I tweeted at their Beer twitter bitching about the one near here, and he followed up and I actually saw meaningful change there. Try it out: https://twitter.com/twmbeer

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
This week's post-yoga beer: 2013 Expedition. It's 2-1/2 year old Expedition. It's loving delicious.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Turns out Rubaeus on nitro is really good. Or at least, way better than Rubaeus not on nitro.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

danbanana posted:

This week's post-yoga beer: 2013 Expedition. It's 2-1/2 year old Expedition. It's loving delicious.

I was cleaning up the backroom at my beer store last month before I quit

I found a 2009 Expo in the back of the cooler :buddy:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Phanatic posted:

Turns out Rubaeus on nitro is really good. Or at least, way better than Rubaeus not on nitro.

I loved previous years of Rubaeus, but this year it either wasn't the same, or my palette has changed. Then I had it on nitro and fell in love with it all over again.

Apache
May 11, 2004

So I'm going to a wedding in New Hampshire near Salem on Memorial Day and I figure it would be a good excuse to take a trip to Vermont on Saturday to visit some places. Currently my tentative plan is to fly in to Manchester late Friday night, crash at a hotel near the airport, and drive up to VT when I get up Saturday and visit HF, Fiddlehead, and others. Anyone have recommendations on where to stay on Saturday night in Vermont? Preferably close to good food and beer places? Also, what other VT breweries/pubs/restaurants/bottle shops that are must visits while there? I wouldn't mind bringing back Fiddlehead,Alchemist, or Lawson's cans in addition to HF bottles, but I don't really want to spend all of my time hunting for them either given that I've only got a day and a half or so in Vermont before I want to head back and meet up with some friends.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

There is actually good beer in NH too. Kelsen in Derry makes a world class Brown Ale. Moonlight Meadery is around the corner and bartolimu can vouch for that as well. Most of the rest of the beer is in the seacoast region though: Portsmouth, Earth Eagle, Stoneface and Smuttynose are worthwhile. And then 2 minutes over the border in Kittery is Tributary.

I recommend staying in Montpelier Saturday night. It's central to every brewery you want to hit up, halfway between Greensboro and Burlington.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Apache posted:

So I'm going to a wedding in New Hampshire near Salem on Memorial Day and I figure it would be a good excuse to take a trip to Vermont on Saturday to visit some places. Currently my tentative plan is to fly in to Manchester late Friday night, crash at a hotel near the airport, and drive up to VT when I get up Saturday and visit HF, Fiddlehead, and others. Anyone have recommendations on where to stay on Saturday night in Vermont? Preferably close to good food and beer places? Also, what other VT breweries/pubs/restaurants/bottle shops that are must visits while there? I wouldn't mind bringing back Fiddlehead,Alchemist, or Lawson's cans in addition to HF bottles, but I don't really want to spend all of my time hunting for them either given that I've only got a day and a half or so in Vermont before I want to head back and meet up with some friends.

Mmartinx made a great effort post the last time I asked this same question that I've saved and pasted below. The tl'dr version of his answer and my own recent experience doing the HF tour is 1) stay at the Old Stagecoach Inn in Waterbury since you'll be able to 1a) go to Blackback for good food and lots of Heady & 1b) do dinner at Hen of the Wood, which has decent food but more importantly is the only place where Heady is on draft. 2) You may be able to get Alchemist cans but that really depends on how early you can get up and in to VT on Saturday to go hunting - use HeadySpotter to help you out. 3) Fiddlehead may be readily available at their brewery.

NB: In regards to New Hampshire, I'm a fan of Deciduous brewing whose head brewer was the magic behind Blue Lobster.

mmartinx posted:

It sounds like you have a pretty good itinerary already. You are going to love Parker Pie, make sure to get the Green Mountain. You probably already know that you won't be getting any Heady or Sip over the weekend, but you might have a shot Monday. If you want a sure thing check headyspotter and find out who gets cases on Monday. Give them a call, find out when they open, and line up and hour beforehand. It sounds lame and it kind of is but you'll be gauranteed cases. Otherwise you can poke around and pick up a couple 4 packs here and there.

I wouldn't kill myself to make it to the pro pig honestly. I've been there maybe half a dozen times since they've been open. The food doesn't blow me away as far as quality or value goes. Their on tap list is dominated by their own beers now, which are fine, but since you're only gonna be there for a weekend you guys aren't going to burn yourselves out on HF.

The Reservoir and the Blackback Pub are better spots for a drink before dinner, better food, draft selections, vibe. I just get a really bad vibe from pro pig honestly, I read this somewhere online but it absolutely nails it, they feel like you're lucky to be there, the whole staff. It's just an aura that hangs over that place, skip it.

Doc Ponds in Stowe is a newish spot by the Hen of the Woods guys, awesome beer and its on your way, that's another option. Don't feel anxious about picking a bad spot though if you just want to wing it, everywhere is awesome up there and everyone has an unending supply of beer.

You can take a drive over to The Warren store Sunday morning for breakfast. I believe they get Lawsons deliveries on Thursday so they most likely won't have Sip, but it's such a cute spot and you guys can get breakfast there. The drive over from Waterbury along Rt 100 is breathtaking.

It's probably in the opposite direction from where you'll be heading home on Monday but Burlington is a great take. Obviously Farmhouse is a must for lunch, food and drafts both very good. It's a nice city to walk around depending on the weather, good shopping etc. Hopefully others have better recommendations on specific spots for you in Burlington but you can totally wing it.

You could also do Montpelier Monday. According to headyspotter it looks like they get their deliveries on Monday too. They have arguably the greatest bar in the world the Three Penny Taproom. Their tap list is consistently amazing, so is their food. Plus its such an awesome vibe in there. The bartender who's an Eagles fan could be a somm in NYC in any of the best restaurants he's that good. If you ever listen to his response to questions about their beer list, seriously impressive. I'm not sure if that's how dedicated they are to training their staff or that's just beer knowledge on his own our what but it really makes them stand out to me. And somehow he works lunch hours.

If you're driving back on 89 stop at King Arthur Flour, place is great if you're into baking. Long Trail is a really good take too, near Woodstock. It's a beautiful drive and quintessentially Vermont, so you'll get a lot of white colonial houses, covered bridges etc.

edit -- I misread your post a little bit. Any of those Monday recommendations would be perfectly fine for Sunday as well.

edit 2 -- If you have a 4wd/awd vehicle I would highly recommend it. You get a lot of microclimates going on all over the NEK from the mountains. And the drive to HF especially can be brutal in bad weather. The first time I went I think 4 years ago we took my buddy's maxima and made it 3/4 of the way between Waterbury and Greensboro before we couldn't make it up a hill and had to turn back. Bonus if it's a Subaru you will get a nice mud patina this time of year and you'll look like a true Vermonter.

Oh another spot I thought of, you can stop at Lost Nation's brewery in Morrisville, it will be on your way to Waterbury from HF. Their beers are pretty tasty, they have a grapefruit gose now in cans, I haven't had it yet but their regular rear end gose is delicious. They have pretty good grub there too but you can't be filling up on that if you're already having Parker Pie Co and HotW. Their cans are available at retail just about everywhere in that area and you'll find them on tap a lot.

edit 3 -- Fiddlehead is 20 excruciating minutes south of Burlington, the traffic lights along that road are absolute loving aids. And if you go, you're going to be going through them twice because you'll be coming back the same way whether you're going home or back to Waterbury or whatever.

But, their beers are loving delicious. And they normally do can releases of their double IPAs second fiddle and mastermind on Saturday. It sounds like that probably won't work out for you time-wise, but keep your eyes out for their beers at restaurants, sometimes you can find them at random retail spots too, I got a couple 4 packs of Mastermind at the Irving gas station right when you get off the highway on the way to HF a couple years ago. The pizza next door is really good too.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Furious Lobster posted:

Mmartinx made a great effort post the last time I asked this same question that I've saved and pasted below. The tl'dr version of his answer and my own recent experience doing the HF tour is 1) stay at the Old Stagecoach Inn in Waterbury since you'll be able to 1a) go to Blackback for good food and lots of Heady & 1b) do dinner at Hen of the Wood, which has decent food but more importantly is the only place where Heady is on draft. 2) You may be able to get Alchemist cans but that really depends on how early you can get up and in to VT on Saturday to go hunting - use HeadySpotter to help you out. 3) Fiddlehead may be readily available at their brewery.

NB: In regards to New Hampshire, I'm a fan of Deciduous brewing whose head brewer was the magic behind Blue Lobster.

Unfortunately it looks like the Old Stagecoach Inn is fully booked for the date I'd be staying there. Is it still worthwhile to stay in the Waterbury/Stowe area or should I look at Montpelier?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Apache posted:

Unfortunately it looks like the Old Stagecoach Inn is fully booked for the date I'd be staying there. Is it still worthwhile to stay in the Waterbury/Stowe area or should I look at Montpelier?

I'd say yes just based on the amount of Heady & Focal Banger available in the Waterbury/Stowe area. Also there are a fair concentration of different bars and thus more potential options to get different HF drinks on tap.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Oh yeah, Lost Nation. I had The Wind on tap in vt and it was freaking amazing. A month later and the bottle I got was not nearly as good. Lost a bunch of the bright tartness.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Base Camp Brewing Owner Arrested After Allegedly Brandishing Assault Rifle at Police

I'm not the sort of person to boycott say 10 Barrel because they went corporate, but I would definitely feel a bit iffy about buying beer from a place run by an apparent violent-drunk with a gun collection.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Doesn't that guy already have a reputation for being a huge duck, or am I confusing him with someone else?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Just read about that, weird poo poo.

In more positive PNW news, Buoy is going to start canning their IPA and Pilsner!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

Doesn't that guy already have a reputation for being a huge duck, or am I confusing him with someone else?

That explains it. Getting shot at for his entire life is probably going to result in him shooting back at some point...

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

danbanana posted:

That explains it. Getting shot at for his entire life is probably going to result in him shooting back at some point...

:argh:

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I'm not the sort of person to boycott say 10 Barrel because they went corporate, but I would definitely feel a bit iffy about buying beer from a place run by an apparent violent-drunk with a gun collection.

I feel iffy about buying beer from a place that doesn't make very good beer. That has been my primary reason for avoiding Base Camp.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Ocelot's Frightened dipa is delicious. It's big and tropical. I'd guess galaxy if I had to, but I'm still trying to shake the taste of some gum from earlier off of my palate. I continue to be impressed with these guys.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Base Camp Brewing Owner Arrested After Allegedly Brandishing Assault Rifle at Police

That's too bad, Basecamp makes decent beer.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
Map room in Chicago has bottles of Black Tuesday. I thought it was club/brewery only? Either way I'll skull the bottle if someone covers the cost.

Edit: No I won't.

Compusaurus fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 31, 2016

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

danbanana posted:

lol

in not-funny news, that shooting in Richmond you're probably seeing headlines about occurred like a quarter-mile from the brewery- just drove by like fifty police cars on my way home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

danbanana posted:

Not very right now; I work in Addison and live in Oak Park. But by the end of the year my company will be moving out to West Chicago, only about 5 minutes south of downtown Geneva. So stopping by on my way home should be a thing I do on the regular.

That drive doesn't sound very fun.

Vertigo sent me a Tired Hands Milkshake IPA. I haven't had these unfiltered IPA beers before, but woah. It looks like chicken broth but tastes really good. Juicy as gently caress, I dunno if that's from the unfiltered stuff or what, but it was probably the most sweet fruity IPA I've had. It was delicious, but I don't think I could drink more than one of those in a sitting. It had a kind of funky aftertaste.